• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh crap. I just realized you can do this too. I have no idea lol
In case anyone else has any idea what this does, here's what happens when you right-click drag a portrait up:

portraits0xadr.png

Only one portrait can be raised at a time, and you have to left-click drag (or click?) to bring it back down. It doesn't seem to affect formation, so I don't know what it means.

Arken2121

Hilarious, since I can't afford a real shield for my tank, he gets
doorshield!
. I reallly want to post a picture of it haha.

Anyone knows how PoE is selling? Saw a link where it showed that PoE had max concurretly playing on stream at 31k, and divinity max playing on stream at 22k. I hope this bodes well for sales.

Aloth to Kana:
"bit to slick yer breeches, scholar lad..."

Can someone explain?

I don't think you're supposed to understand that.

You haven't noticed that Aloth seems to have 2 personalities or something thus far? That's his weird...Scottish villager type personality that takes over rarely. I just got to Defiance Bay and it's still unexplained, probably something to do with bits of souls...

Zeliard

Using the
Book of Verses
to solve the bell puzzle in the Temple of Oethas was brilliant. Hope to see more puzzles like this in the game.

My endurance numbers seem to have disappeared from my characters portraits during gameplay. By chance, does anyone know how to remedy that?

I checked the controls menu, and I can't see any button/toggled option that I might've missed.

EDIT: Herp, there's an option under the "Graphics" sub-menu, and the toggled option is "Show party endurance as numbers" on the bottom left.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Using the
Book of Verses
to solve the bell puzzle in the Temple of Oethas was brilliant. Hope to see more puzzles like this in the game.

Ohh...that's what you were supposed to do.

I just found a hidden compartment that had the key to that door

Altazor

Anyone knows how PoE is selling? Saw a link where it showed that PoE had max concurretly playing on stream at 31k, and divinity max playing on stream at 22k. I hope this bodes well for sales.

Steam says:
-21,654 playing now
-37,847 today's peak
-37,847 all-time peak

That (obviously) doesn't count the GOG version, so it's more than 40k people that played the game today.

I hope Obsidian/Paradox can give us some official numbers in a month. I just hope this game remains on the higher parts of the charts for a long time.

I found some note where a guy said "he rang the big bell first instead of second like he was supposed to" and then I had a vision where I learned that the Right Hand bell has to ring first and last. And then you can go dink around with the bells and realize that you need to ring them 4 times. So you know the first, second, and fourth one, and only the leftmost bell went unused, so it might as well be rung third.

However despite having picked up these clues I just clicked a couple random bells the first time around and got it my first try by luck.

Blizzard

Banned
Another mystery in addition to the portrait raising: Do helms have any effect other than cosmetic? (If there are quest-specific cases where a helm saves you from falling rocks or something, I just want to know if there's an advantage to having a helm, spoiler-free if possible).

I realize some helms have bonuses in the descriptions, but I'm talking about plain helms that don't mention any bonus.

Oh, this brings back so many memories! I chose to play it in high difficulty, as I'm a Baldur's Gate games veteran and I'm very familiar with the combat system...but I barely managed to reach Caed Nua in one piece, what the F am I doing wrong??? I mean, more than one monster at a time is a certain death.

Silly question 2: Is it possible to drop unwanted items anywhere?

Zeliard

Well, it's not necessarily what you were "supposed" to. It was just an option to get through it, and a rather neat one.

I found some note where a guy said "he rang the big bell first instead of second like he was supposed to" and then I had a vision where I learned that the Right Hand bell has to ring first and last. And then you can go dink around with the bells and realize that you need to ring them 4 times. So you know the first, second, and fourth one, and only the leftmost bell went unused, so it might as well be rung third.

However despite having picked up these clues I just clicked a couple random bells the first time around and got it my first try by luck.

Yeah, I
used that note in conjunction with the Book of Verses to solve the bell puzzle. The book hints at the order of the bells by the tone of the voices of the characters in the story, and the order in which they speak, which I thought was clever and subtle.

Steam says:
-21,654 playing now
-37,847 today's peak
-37,847 all-time peak

That (obviously) doesn't count the GOG version, so it's more than 40k people that played the game today.

I hope Obsidian/Paradox can give us some official numbers in a month. I just hope this game remains on the higher parts of the charts for a long time.

Wow! Nice! I also saw KS backer achievement was only at 25%. So that's good.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, this brings back so many memories! I chose to play it in high difficulty, as I'm a Baldur's Gate games veteran and I'm very familiar with the combat system...but I barely managed to reach Caed Nua in one piece, what the F am I doing wrong??? I mean, more than one monster at a time is a certain death.

Silly question 2: Is it possible to drop unwanted items anywhere?

Drag and Drop them into the Stash, then later sell them?

Blizzard

Banned
Another mystery in addition to the portrait raising: Do helms have any effect other than cosmetic? (If there are quest-specific cases where a helm saves you from falling rocks or something, I just want to know if there's an advantage to having a helm, spoiler-free if possible).

I realize some helms have bonuses in the descriptions, but I'm talking about plain helms that don't mention any bonus.

I have yet another question! Please let me know if I'm asking too much. :( I don't see any ingame way of figuring out spells per rest and wizard upgrade bonuses, besides resting and then checking the icon numbers in the bottom left.

I figured I could check a wiki, but even the official wiki (http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Wizard) does not have wizard bonuses past level 9. Is there any official or semi-official reference that mentions what happens at level 9? For example, if there is any way to start casting some cheap spells on a per-encounter basis, that would be amazingly useful compared to the per-rest basis, especially on harder difficulties.

So I killed
Raedric
after a grueling fight. The Chanter's Phantom summon is GOLD. Anyways, the
new lord said I could take whatever I want from the treasury, well where is that?

I am curious about this as well.

Maybe he's just referring to
all the stuff you lifted while traveling through the keep?

Almighty

I hope they release some numbers soon. My best guess is 300k so I would love to see how close I am.

Corpekata

Banned
I have yet another question! Please let me know if I'm asking too much. :( I don't see any ingame way of figuring out spells per rest and wizard upgrade bonuses, besides resting and then checking the icon numbers in the bottom left.

I figured I could check a wiki, but even the official wiki (http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Wizard) does not have wizard bonuses past level 9. Is there any official or semi-official reference that mentions what happens at level 9? For example, if there is any way to start casting some cheap spells on a per-encounter basis, that would be amazingly useful compared to the per-rest basis, especially on harder difficulties.

Don't know when but one of the tutorials when I got the wizard party member states Wizards eventually are able to cast some lower level spells per encounter instead of per rest.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm kind of surprised by the performance early on. With a GTX 770, a 4.20 GHz 3570k, and 8GB of memory, I'm getting drops to 50 FPS in the second map location in the game (
Vale wood
). From what I read the framerate gets a lot worse in
Gilded Vale
-- I wonder why? With the map size and 2D backgrounds I would think performance would be pretty good on this sort of system.

*edit* I got to that location (
Gilded Vale
), and performance is about the same, 45-60 varying, so at least it didn't get much worse.

Bluth54

I hope they release some numbers soon. My best guess 300k so I would love to how close I am.

Yeah from what I've read from some developer (I think it was Tripwire that said it in an interview) is the best way to guess the total number of people playing a Steam game in a day is to take the concurrent players and multiply it by 10.

pahamrick

Okay, so question for anyone who's completed
Raedric's Hold
on hard. What level was your party?

Wondering if I'm safe trying to attempt it with a level 4 party.

Almighty

Yeah from what I've read from some developer (I think it was Tripwire that said it in an interview) is the best way to guess the total number of people playing a Steam game in a day is to take the concurrent players and multiply it by 10.

Yeah that is normally the method I use when I take a wild guess how many copies a game sold in the first few days. In Pilllars case I also did some quick math to figure out how many copies the game would have to sell for the 77,000 backers to be 22 percent(based on the achievement) which also gives a number in the 300k range. So yeah I am interested to see how close my guess is.

Tanis

I dropped from hard to normal after about 3 hours in. I immediately started to enjoy the game much more. There are still areas that destroy me of I wander in unawares but I'm not getting into life and death fights with random wolves anymore!

Corsick

So I'm looking for the
vault after killing Raedric, where is it? Is there anything to loot besides whats on the guards and Raedric?

Almighty

I thought it'd be a little bit more natural to just...drop them, and not having to keep'em with me till I find a tabern :)

If you can stick to that i will be impressed, because as far as i can tell the game is very much designed with the player using the stash in mind. The 16 slots each character gets seems like it might fill up fast.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I
walked in to the Inn and stole it out of a chest

Speaking of the NeoGAF Inn, man that backer NPC with the creepy serial killer memory...

infi

Just recruited the ranger npc and she tells me part of the main quest that I'm not at yet lol

I'm loving this game so far and I'm already planning my next character.

Anyone know how I pay a hireling at the stronghold once they have become unpaid? Every so often the game stops auto paying them and I have to dismiss them and rehire them and I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

depward

Seeking advice:

I have two systems that aren't ideal to play this... but I do want to play this. How would performance look for both?

1) Retina Macbook Pro (late 2012). 2.5 ghz Intel Core i5, 8gigs ram, intel HD graphics 4000 (know this is the biggest issue).

2) Surface Pro 1. 1.7 Intel Core i5, 4gigs ram, Intel HD 4000 (I didn't know this was the exact same as above until I looked).

I'm not looking for the best experience just... a tolerable one to play this. Thoughts?

Guess I'll have will be waiting til Obsidian releases a patch. Game keeps crashing in Raedrics keep for me. Unable to do anything really. Well, I read workarounds but I prefer to at least explore the whole area

rakhir

Can you increase the amount of camping material you can use? I'm at the default of 4... lol I need more.

Only way to change that is to drop the difficulty, you can have more on easy.

EDITL too slow.

Also, normal helms are cosmetic only.
It's great that they made every helm from old BG2, my priest is rocking that winged one.

Skeletron

I want to like Barbarian but I can't get over Frenzy hiding your health. This would be the worst class to try Ironman mode on right?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I like everything I've played thus far though there is a LOT of text to wade through and I do get a bit frustrated with some of the battles when there are swarms of enemies coming at you all at once.

Other than that, I really like how my monk with a focus on accuracy, speed, and interrupting skills is working out. He's doing much better than my barbarian and rogue <_<

It can be quite intimidating once you get a crapload of quests unlocked all at once, but so far I've been able to manage.

I agree with other people saying this must be what all those old time gamers felt when they played BG, BG 2, ICD, P:T.

Almighty

I like everything I've played thus far though there is a LOT of text to wade through and I do get a bit frustrated with some of the battles when there are swarms of enemies coming at you all at once.

I know that feeling. That is why I love the option to automatically slow the game down in battles so I can get an easier idea of what is going on and then pause it to issue commands/reposition.

Varna

Early act 1 spoilers.

Damn... that choice after confronting
Maerwald
. Spent a good 10 minutes re-reading everything that had happened. At the end of the day my guy is it for the pursuit of knowledge.... hopefully it doesn't bite me in the ass.

I ended up restarting. That double-click bug hit me hard, and there were some things I wanted to do differently at character creation. Oh well, I was only 10 hours in.

Blizzard

Banned
I have the nasty feeling that I'm going to have to explore every corner of every map with stealth on so I can discover all the item caches. :( Is it worth it to do that? It'll make things pretty slow unless I'm double-timing stealth movement.

I'm even finding item cache(s) in town area(s) for example.

Top Bottom