• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Madouu

I'm sure this has been asked already, but the named people with golden name frames that only let you see a piece of their past/whatever don't really have anything to do with, well, anything? I've read most that I've come by but there's just too damn many lol, I don't have the time to read every single one and I hope I won't miss out on side quests or anything like that.

I have read all so far and, bar one or two stories, they have been uninteresting compared to what the main game offers in terms of lore and story. I don't think people miss much by skipping them.

People should read the dialogue line past the words in the square brackets.

I've heard of hilarious moments where people picking [Passionate] and it means you start fighting (despite not being [Aggressive]). It's hilarious. Love that higher stats give you some more dialogue variety but aren't win buttons you can game.

That's funny to me considering I actually rarely read what is between brackets in these games and always focus on the dialogue lines.

_DrMario_

So I gave Eder a second ring of minor protection but now it's gone. Is this a known bug?

Guess I'm gonna have to install the IEmod so I can summon another one...

Noaloha

I want two buttons for pausing, one dedicated to stopping and one dedicated to resuming. Currently pause/unpause is only available as a toggle right?

I always find myself hitting spacebar a fraction of a second after the game itself autopauses, resulting in pain and suffering, since my frantic pause-slamming and the game's autopausing naturally only happen when shit is going south.

Sober

I want two buttons for pausing, one dedicated to stopping and one dedicated to resuming. Currently pause/unpause is only available as a toggle right?

I always find myself hitting spacebar a fraction of a second after the game itself autopauses, resulting in pain and suffering, since my frantic pause-slamming and the game's autopausing naturally only happen when shit is going south.
Change some of the autopause options. It sounds like you have way too many on if that's the case. There's also an option to auto-slow-mo in combat. It's not exactly what you're looking for but it's just as good.

When you interrupt spell casting, does it completely reset the cast time of the spell, or do the spell casting continue where it left on after the interrupt is over? If it completely reset spell casting and not simply delay it I'm so pumping my rogue on dex and perception to interrupt as often as possible with dual weapons.

Noaloha

Change some of the autopause options. It sounds like you have way too many on if that's the case. There's also an option to auto-slow-mo in combat. It's not exactly what you're looking for but it's just as good.

It's essentially always from the low endurance autopause setting, which I would like to keep on. If I note a character take a chunky hit, I'm going to pause. If, as I'm reacting, they then take a second hit that activates the autopause and blah, blah, etc. It happens infrequently, for sure, but still way too frequently, if that makes sense. I want non-toggle pausing.

I think double-clicking items in your inventory screen makes you lose passives, such as racial bonuses. Some people nay have suggested that they may still take effect, and just be hidden on the character screen. I don't know for certain and I haven't double-clicked items as far as I know.

Wow, that's pretty much game-breaking indeed.
Have they stated anything about it?
A hot fix incoming shortly?

Edit: Okay, they'r working on it.

Durante

Apparently you can also fix the ability bug for all NPCs by removing and re-adding them.

It seems to be mostly a display issue, n ot an actual mechanics issue, and nothing is really lost. I guess it will be a simple matter to restore them for the PC as well in a patch.

Edit: oh I'm late.

pahamrick

After 12 hours on my new Wizard (And 25 hours total, according to Steam) I finally cleared Act 1 and reached the Goose and Fox. Pretty snazzy joint.

Here's my Wizard as of the end of Act 1.

8LbPpLG.jpg

_DrMario_

Apparently you can also fix the ability bug for all NPCs by removing and re-adding them.

It seems to be mostly a display issue, n ot an actual mechanics issue, and nothing is really lost.

Kana loses his 3rd Weapon Slot as soon as I double click so it's not just a visual display bug, you do actually lose all bonuses.

From the reddit post.

Nordicus

whats this game breaking bug everyone keeps talking about?

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Apparently the fix they're working on will restore the abilities on save files affected with the problem.

Wow, that's pretty much game-breaking indeed.
Have they stated anything about it?
A hot fix incoming shortly?
It's not such a big concern as some make it out to be, because the only passive we know to be genuinely affected is the one that gives you an additional weapon quick slot, likely because it affects the menu side of things, and that stuff is what's genuinely bugged. See here:
Did you test it out?

All of my characters have their racial passives not show up in the Active effects list, also my own Moon Godlike, but when I made my fighter take Moon Godlike's energy to <75% with a meaty greatsword strike, she triggered the racial heal wave like she should.

Same with the human fighting spirit passive when energy below 50% (in combat with actual enemies), and Wood Elf's 4+ meter ranged bonuses. Everything checks out

The one we know for sure to be affected is the passive that gives a 3rd weapon quickslot, but that might be because it's one of the only passives in game that changes the menus. A possible combination of 2 bugs that manages to actually affect the game

dude

dude
This game just proves the tragedy of Obsidian, they had that genius in them all this time but they were wasted as hired guns on rushed projects and compromised vision.
After this game, I swear that if they have another Kickstarter I'm doubling what I pledged for PoE.

Tworak

This game just proves the tragedy of Obsidian, they had that genius in them all this time but they were wasted as hired guns on rushed projects and compromised vision.
After this game, I swear that if they have another Kickstarter I'm doubling what I pledged for PoE.
absolutely

Blizzard

Banned
It's not such a big concern as some make it out to be, because the only passive we know to be genuinely affected is the one that gives you an additional weapon quick slot, likely because it affects the menu side of things, and that stuff is what's genuinely bugged. See here:
It's not just the weapon slot:
They don't. I tested this by making a Coastal Aumaua and having that first companion, the fighter lady, knock me down. My prone defense was 20 lower after I initiated the bug than before.

Durante

Kana loses his 3rd Weapon Slot as soon as I double click so it's not just a visual display bug, you do actually lose all bonuses.

From the reddit post.
Yes, we know that one is actually affected, and a few others as well. You can add it back in with console commands for your PC though.

Anyway, my point was that clearly it should be easy to patch. So I think the way to go for anyone affected is to restore NPCs by having them rejoin and either (i) simply continue playing and wait for the patch to restore your PC or (ii) restore your PC manually using the console if you feel like you're missing out on something essential.

All in all, it doesn't appear to be as big a deal as I initially feared.

Yes, we know that one is actually affected, and a few others as well. You can add it back in with console commands for your PC though.

Anyway, my point was that clearly it should be easy to patch. So I think the way to go for anyone affected is to restore NPCs by having them rejoin and either (i) simply continue playing and wait for the patch to restore your PC or (ii) restore your PC manually using the console if you feel like you're missing out on something essential.

All in all, it doesn't appear to be as big a deal as I initially feared.

Using the console adds a 2nd instance of that ability to the character sheet, in the wrong section (talents go under abilities) even. I wonder if that's even working correctly or if it will cause issues if patched.

Nordicus

It's not just the weapon slot:
They don't. I tested this by making a Coastal Aumaua and having that first companion, the fighter lady, knock me down. My prone defense was 20 lower after I initiated the bug than before.
Hmm, you're right. Tried it out too and Fortitude saves against prone effect dropped by 20. So why do all my passives on my proper game work...

I might need to check if the number passives come back upon saving and loading a save even if the descriptions don't.

Edit: nope, did not. Odd

Menome

*checks in thread*

Oh dear, so I may have accidentally killed my passives by double-clicking to equip a few items?

Good job I've only done the tutorial area so far. :/

Ketch

so is this bug guaranteed to happen if you double click to equip? I'm like 15 hours in and have no idea if i've screwed my characters up or not.

Durante

Using the console adds a 2nd instance of that ability to the character sheet, in the wrong section (talents go under abilities) even. I wonder if that's even working correctly or if it will cause issues if patched.
It does work, but you are right in that what will happen when patched is everyone's guess -- at worst it will show up 3 times, at best they'll restore everything correctly from scratch.

Given that the easy workaround (of having NPCs rejoin) will already make it affect only the passives of 1/6th of your party, I think the best choice at this point is just to continue playing and not use the console workaround. But it's there if you have a strategy which somehow depended entirely on a main character passive.

Corpekata

Banned
Are hirelings broken? I've I hired a bunch, but they seem to be defaulting to "unpaid" after a single day despite that their "payday" was 1 in game day ago.

So just some questions from people who are further in the game, in the first village area you get to are you supposed to stay there and do stuff?

A character told me to leave asap so I just kind of went off and did other stuff. Did I miss any major questlines?

rakhir

How far do I have to progress the game to pick up the druid companion? Do I have to complete the Raedric quest for this?
He is in the
map east of the entrence of Defiance Bay, so you have to complete at least complete Maerwen's quest.
So just some questions from people who are further in the game, in the first village area you get to are you supposed to stay there and do stuff?
A character told me to leave asap so I just kind of went off and did other stuff. Did I miss any major questlines?
You mean
Gilded Vale
? Yes, there are a lot of quests in that village.

Corpekata

Banned

There's like 3-4 quests there one leading to a major sidequest, and one telling you where to go for the story. Most of the quests will send you into the surrounding areas. There's really only 2 quests that are contained in the town itself and 1 of them is hard so you shouldn't be afraid to venture out.

Durante

About exploration, how is everyone doing it? I'm going obsessive all the way on this one, fully exploring every new map with scouting on, and depending on how dense it is I use fast mode.

For open maps, my pattern generally ends up looking somewhat like this:
exphir4x.png

ElyrionX

He is in the
map east of the entrence of Defiance Bay, so you have to complete at least complete Maerwen's quest.

You mean
the keep quest right? I have to clear the keep?

There's like 3-4 quests there one leading to a major sidequest, and one telling you where to go for the story. Most of the quests will send you into the surrounding areas. There's really only 2 quests that are contained in the town itself and 1 of them is hard so you shouldn't be afraid to venture out.

The "hard quest" is the temple one right? Do I just go into the temple to activate it? No one appears to be sending me there for it though.

Cerity

Fighting H
elig of Thein
was a little disappointing lol. Knocked him over and that was enough to kill him.

About exploration, how is everyone doing it? I'm going obsessive all the way on this one, fully exploring every new map with scouting on, and depending on how dense it is I use fast mode.

For open maps, my pattern generally ends up looking somewhat like this:
exphir4x.png

I go down the main roads to make sure there aren't any characters to pick up or events that'll trigger first. Then I start exploring based on how the road splits the map.

NIN90

I still can't wrap my mind around that we got a game on BG2 scale in 2015 with such a small budget. I'm so happy for Obsidian, now that they finally get to see both critical and financial success judging by Steam stats (38k peak is pretty huge) and the Top Sellers list.

Aaron D.

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Apparently the fix they're working on will restore the abilities on save files affected with the problem.

Well this is a relief.

I honestly don't know if I double-clicked something by accident over my past 10 hours of play and wouldn't recognize a change either way going back to my party's stat sheets.

Nice to know I can keep on playing knowing that an across-the-board fix is incoming.

Phew!

Stevey

Yeah, gotta get rid of all that fog of war.

18 hours in, just made it to the GAF inn.

A-V-B

Beat it.

Ending's a bit disappointing compared to how awesome the game was in Defiance Bay, and I wish there was a more creative solution to how to treat the souls, but overall I think kickstarting this game was definitely worth it, and I hope they make more in the future :)

BTW, did anyone notice all the homages to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack in this game? :)

Some of them were VERY blatant. I heard a take on the Shire theme and the Mordor theme for sure, and one other I can't put my finger on, but it was also from the trilogy.

Durante

LOL

I just thought I'd found a bug with the "continue" button: it was loading an older save.

Then I realized it was due to the daylight saving time change.

Edit:
"Beat it"? I'm not going to quote the post for real since I really don't want to see the spoiler, but how is that even possible? I've been playing for over 20 hours and haven't even made it to Act 2 :p

liezryou

Ok i need some help, either i missed a few companions or some leveling or is caed nua supposed to be really difficult? At this point i have eder, aloth, and the bard.

Durante

Ok i need some help, either i missed a few companions or some leveling or is caed nua supposed to be really difficult? At this point i have eder, aloth, and the bard.
You did miss one companion.
Durance, at the crossing south of Gilded Vale

Edit: well I just made it to Act 2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

What if its a kickstarter for a Pathfinder game?

A-V-B

LOL

I just thought I'd found a bug with the "continue" button: it was loading an older save.

Then I realized it was due to the daylight saving time change.

Edit:
"Beat it"? I'm not going to quote the post for real since I really don't want to see the spoiler, but how is that even possible? I've been playing for over 20 hours and haven't even made it to Act 2 :p

Final time is 42 hours. I didn't try to blaze through it. Lots of side missions completed. Only thing I didn't do was touch the endless paths. Also couldn't pursue a couple companion missions due to sub-optimal reputation with Defiance Bay and the Dozens. The first rep, I have no idea how. It never got above Ally.

Top Bottom