• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Tacitus_

Shades are goddamn assholes. Lets start at ranged and unclumped, focus fire one of the partys squishies with spells and then teleport past the frontline.

studyguy

I'm guessing you're playing a melee Rogue? Ranged Rogue is bascially: Ensure enemy is flanked, proceed to shoot till dead. Obviously you blind to get the damage multiplier and nullify a threat temporarily but few encounters last long enough for it to be necessary to move your rogue a great deal. If you're backstabbing/melee that's more micromanagement but it's still just a simple movement and not really much thought involved.

It really isn't all that big of a deal, yeah. My rouge as a ranged when things are too heavy is basically off to a side somewhere. If it's melee, I just run it behind and try to make sure it stays back there. Sometimes the AI goes AYY FUCK IT and runs around to the front for whatever reason if I let it. Rouge melee isn't tough, the only micro involved is just making sure it doesn't let itself get slapped.

Palmer_v1

Do you have any details to help other players avoid the bug?

On another note, I haven't used any consumables yet and just learned the hard way (dying in Path of Iron) that you can't use consumables unless you put them in quick slots before battle, apparently. Oops.

Just having a Ranger with a companion can trigger it. Basically the animal fails to load(portrait goes white), and you can't travel anymore because it tells you to gather your party. You can reload to a point before the glitch and be okay, but if you just let it auto-save, it's game ending right now.

WIP

Might as well post this for any low-end players like myself.

I've started forcing the game to run at 640x480 resolution via the right-clicked shortcut properties (Compatibility tab; I also disabled the 'Disable Display Scaling' box below it, but keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing), and full-screen GPU scaling through NVIDIA control panel.

It's a low-end dream.

Silky-smooth framerate on my my crappy 2GB RAM, 256MB graphics card (haven't actually counted yet, but it's really really smooth!).

Screenies (this is at maximum zoom-out btw):
9iV8sSn.png

HqNCnZD.png

There seems to be a constant blurry "haze" effect around the edges of the screen; in motion, it makes the game feel like you're looking down on a magically-moving miniatures diorama from above. Neat effect, I actually think it's cute. And, the zoom level tickles my IE nostalgia somewhat.

However, as you can see from the second pic, the UI is slightly cut-off at the edges, but not to a degree that it isn't playable. The flavour text boxes are entirely readable.

I was happy... until this-

dfMKjto.png

What you are looking at is indeed a full-screen screenshot. The dialogue text windows are now blown up to massive screen-filling proportions. I haven't found a work-around for this yet.

I've been eyeing the IE mod by Sensuki et. al., I've heard that it has UI-customising options. Perhaps it could fix my cut-off UI issue, but I'm not too sure about how to deal with the dialogue dilemma...

Will post again if I solve this.

After reading about the attribute stacking bug I just spent way too much time checking every single stat on everyone to find out who might be affected. Right now it looks like just Kanu- he has 15 higher deflection than he should for his level and 3 higher intelligence.

pahamrick

Wait what. Which one? Can we just
collect all of them? Like prostitute Pokemon? Also I assume he adds prestige but no security to the keep?

You can only get one, and the how is determined by a stat roll. You're not limited to the males, either. I think the only one you can't get is the one that's guarded upstairs.

iammeiam

The male orlan dude with "big" in his name.
And yeah, prestige.

Well. I know what/who I'm doing next time I'm in the area. I though they were just there for
buffs.

You can only get one, and the how is determined by a stat roll. You're not limited to the males, either. I think the only one you can't get is the one that's guarded upstairs.

...oh. Interesting.

studyguy

Always get nervous with these bugs. I hadn't heard of the passive erasing one and was fortunate to not have it happen to me. How does the stacking bug work? I think all my guys are normal... I think.

WIP

Might as well post this for any low-end players like myself.

I've started forcing the game to run at 640x480 resolution via the right-clicked shortcut properties (Compatibility tab; I also disabled the 'Disable Display Scaling' box below it, but keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing), and full-screen GPU scaling through NVIDIA control panel.

It's a low-end dream.

Silky-smooth framerate on my my crappy 2GB RAM, 256MB graphics card (haven't actually counted yet, but it's really really smooth!).

Screenies (this is at maximum zoom-out btw):
9iV8sSn.png

HqNCnZD.png

There seems to be a constant blurry "haze" effect around the edges of the screen; in motion, it makes the game feel like you're looking down on a magically-moving miniatures diorama from above. Neat effect, I actually think it's cute. And, the zoom level tickles my IE nostalgia somewhat.

However, as you can see from the second pic, the UI is slightly cut-off at the edges, but not to a degree that it isn't playable. The flavour text boxes are entirely readable.

I was happy... until this-

dfMKjto.png

What you are looking at is indeed a full-screen screenshot. The dialogue text windows are now blown up to massive screen-filling proportions. I haven't found a work-around for this yet.

I've been eyeing the IE mod by Sensuki et. al., I've heard that it has UI-customising options. Perhaps it could fix my cut-off UI issue, but I'm not too sure about how to deal with the dialogue dilemma...

Will post again if I solve this.

Hmm, thank you. I would love to get this game but am very hesitant as all I have is an early 2011 Macbook Pro. It even struggles with LoL and HotS sometimes, and can't play Dota 2 on the lowest settings.

Menome

I have found a fancy hat, with a feather in it and everything. Now nothing can get in my fabulous way.

Trade-off is that much like Dragon Age: Inquisition's fancy hats, it makes my character bald.

SaberVulcan

Mi 18 Con 11 Dex 10 Per 16 Int 18 Res 11 with items, started with 10 Con, lvl 7 now

Ah. Yeah, I can't check right now but I *believe* I am 20 Might, 16 Con, 12 Dex... not sure on the rest. I kind of maxed out Might then winged the rest.

Why such high Int, if I may ask?

So I'm in Raedric's keep at the end and
I get almost oneshotted. I can't find tips in the thread that help (I'm sure there were some - search is failing me. I've got 5 people in my party, we are level 4.
Should I go off and do
Defiance Bay first?

Also, in conversation with
the animancer (oyra?) I never had any options other than to attack or to bluff and say I was checking her progress for Raedric. I've seen spoilers with far more interesting options - going to kill other people, etc. What did I do wrong?

Anyone got a 7th level Eder? His defences seem waaaaay too high for me, wondering if I got hit by the bug.

You can do the math- fighters start with 25 deflection (20 for other defenses). Level 7 is +18 to all defenses. So the base for Eder is 43, 38, 38, 38. Then add the additional modifiers for each defense listed under active abilities and any attribute bonuses. If the totals don't match then you got hit by the bug.

You can also check your attributes by clicking on each attribute. If that math doesn't add then the attributes are messed up too.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Does anyone have solid info on what specifically Path of the Damned does to difficulty/enemy composition?

Everyone keeps saying PotD adds all the enemies from Easy,Normal, and Hard and just tosses them all in, but what specifically does that mean? For example, if Normal has you facing off against a Skuldr King, and 2 Skuldr Kings in Hard, will there be 3 Skuldr Kings in PotD, or does it only toss in the enemies that are unique to each difficulty? (So, for example, PotD would be all the Hard enemies + enemies that only appear on Normal and + enemies that only appear on Easy).

I think most people are assuming it's the former, but it seems to me like it might be more likely to be the latter, just because of space more than anything else. I'm playing on Normal, and lots of fights are already very crowded. I can't imagine there's even room to place 2.5x as many enemies.

I also have Qs about their boosted stats. People have tossed out 50% more Health and 50% more resistances, but is that accurate/confirmed? And is that across the board?

Durante

So I'm in Raedric's keep at the end and
I get almost oneshotted. I can't find tips in the thread that help (I'm sure there were some - search is failing me. I've got 5 people in my party, we are level 4.
What I did was
do the dialogue with my rogue with all the party in another room, turn invisible as soon as battle starts, and then pull the enemies in small groups into the room and slaughter them
. This way I managed to complete the fight with my level 4 party on hard, without anyone getting knocked out.

So after my erased 19 hours saves by steam cloud, yesterday night I started again with a cipher. Finally everything clicked and I was having a lot of fun this time during the fights (started my old saves in normal, after some hours had to put it on easy, that it was still difficult in some fights. Started again on normal and now everything works perfectly and have more fun than playin on easy because now I feel ut had the perfect challenge for me). So playing fast (because I knew the dialogs) I could get my cipher and real 4 companions, beating some dungeons and completing some quests in 5 hours.

And just this morning I found my PC motherbase going caput and cant play or work. Fuck my luck.
Wanted to wait until the witcher 3 to build my new PC. Seems its happening sooner than I thought.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
You can do the math- fighters start with 25 deflection (20 for other defenses). Level 7 is +18 to all defenses. So the base for Eder is 43, 38, 38, 38. Then add the additional modifiers for each defense listed under active abilities and any attribute bonuses. If the totals don't match then you got hit by the bug.

You can also check your attributes by clicking on each attribute. If that math doesn't add then the attributes are messed up too.

38 base fort, +26 from stats, no items equipped, Defender turned off... 64 versus an 84 on the screen. 49 deflection versus 64 as well. Damn it. Kicking him and taking him back in the party doesn't seem to do much either.

Durante

What's funny is that you can use the
hood at the leaden key meeting
as a godlike. But it will be referred to as "ill-fitting" in the writing :p

Violet_0

Banned
Ah. Yeah, I can't check right now but I *believe* I am 20 Might, 16 Con, 12 Dex... not sure on the rest. I kind of maxed out Might then winged the rest.

Why such high Int, if I may ask?

Int increases the aoe radius of abilities like the barbarian carnage (hitting multiple targets passive)

Kyuur

Decided not to restart my Chanter even though I can't summon skels and a spectre at the same time. Just picked up my first two party members. Can't say I'm crazy about
the Watcher stuff for regular NPCs. It works well for quest stuff but for random NPCs, I'd rather have dialogue than a peek at their history.

Sou Da

Decided not to restart my Chanter even though I can't summon skels and a spectre at the same time. Just picked up my first two party members. Can't say I'm crazy about
the Watcher stuff for regular NPCs. It works well for quest stuff but for random NPCs, I'd rather have dialogue than a peek at their history.

Those are backer written backstories.

Durante

It's just their way of fitting in the huge number of backer stories. I started ignoring those after the first few (and that's coming from someone who reads pretty much every single book and lore text in the game).

epmode

I still don't know how to cure the save corruption bug.

Considering that reinstalling the game didn't fix the problem for me and it was only corrected by restoring from a Windows backup, I suspect that the game's configuration files may have something to do with it. Remember, the game doesn't reset your POE options after reinstalling so something is clearly sticking around.

Did you try what I suggested in the other thread? Move the corrupted save files elsewhere, uninstall, delete basically everything POE-related that's still on your computer except for the valid saves, reinstall, start a new game as a test, save, load the save. If this works, savegame creation is fixed and you can load your last working save file.

As for fixing your broken saves and preventing it from happening again, that's on Obsidian.

And yeah, I hope no one reading this runs into this bug. It's pretty miserable.

Sou Da

Considering that reinstalling the game didn't fix the problem for me and it was only corrected by restoring from a Windows backup, I suspect that the game's configuration files may have something to do with it. Remember, the game doesn't reset your POE options after reinstalling so something is clearly sticking around.

Did you try what I suggested in the other thread? Move the corrupted save files elsewhere, uninstall, delete basically everything POE-related that's still on your computer except for the valid saves, reinstall, start a new game as a test, save, load the save. If this works, savegame creation is fixed and you can load your last working save file.

As for fixing your broken saves and preventing it from happening again, that's on Obsidian.

And yeah, I hope no one reading this runs into this bug. It's pretty miserable.
I'll try it,
goodbye 6 hours of progress
. Thanks though, seriously.

Galileo

Neo Member
I had almost forgotten how good non-randomized loot is, I just got inside a small cave by climbing down a cliff and found an awesome unique ring for my wizard. So satisfying

38 base fort, +26 from stats, no items equipped, Defender turned off... 64 versus an 84 on the screen. 49 deflection versus 64 as well. Damn it. Kicking him and taking him back in the party doesn't seem to do much either.

Yeah, it sounds like you had items with +5 deflection and +5 fortitude reapplied 4 times. I think it happens each time you load a save in an affected area.

Meier

There is literally no AI for companions. You need to micromanage them. The only thing they will do on there own is close distance to initiate whatever attack you direct.

There's no real AI beyond auto attacking. It's a shame because some sort of programmable tactics setting would be great to have for less difficult fights.

I thought this might be the case but wasn't entirely certain. The mage/wizard did seem to be doing some level of casting but I was unsure. That's unfortunate.. not really sure I am interested in that level of micromanaging to be honest. Like I said, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but would have made sense to have some default AI they'd opt for (something like the system in FFXII for instance) -- I was trying to find where it was without success so that explains it.

Altazor

So after my erased 19 hours saves by steam cloud, yesterday night I started again with a cipher. Finally everything clicked and I was having a lot of fun this time during the fights (started my old saves in normal, after some hours had to put it on easy, that it was still difficult in some fights. Started again on normal and now everything works perfectly and have more fun than playin on easy because now I feel ut had the perfect challenge for me). So playing fast (because I knew the dialogs) I could get my cipher and real 4 companions, beating some dungeons and completing some quests in 5 hours.

And just this morning I found my PC motherbase going caput and cant play or work. Fuck my luck.
Wanted to wait until the witcher 3 to build my new PC. Seems its happening sooner than I thought.

that's wretched luck. Hope you can get your new PC soon!

Zornack

Yeah, it sounds like you had items with +5 deflection and +5 fortitude reapplied 4 times. I think it happens each time you load a save in an affected area.

Wait, what exactly is this bug? If you load a save in certain zones buffs from your gear are reapplied to the character as permeant buffs?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Same thing on reflex and will, so I'm guessing it was the cape of +5 to saves (and something else for the deflection) I had on him in the early game. Hard was getting a little easy and I guess I found out why. Aloth's will seems a little high too. Kinda sucks but too far into the game to restart now. So it goes.

Wait, what exactly is this bug? If you load a save in certain zones buffs from your gear are reapplied to the character as permeant buffs?

From what I've read, it's related to where you recruit that character. So if you do it in the first town, it'll apply buffs to Eder's stats over and over.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hmm, thank you. I would love to get this game but am very hesitant as all I have is an early 2011 Macbook Pro. It even struggles with LoL and HotS sometimes, and can't play Dota 2 on the lowest settings.

I'm playing on an early 2011 MPB and it runs no problem.

Top Bottom