• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

garath

That explains why Eder and my Paladin never die in hard fights but everyone else in my party does...

Yea I add new saves everytime. I should probably cull that list.

The game is pretty good about recycling saves. The window stays at the bottom of the list so I literally just open the save dialog and click on the very last entry without scrolling. I save probably every 5-10 minutes lol. Gives me a backlog of 1-2 hours if things go sideways with bugs.

Conezays

I'm playing on an early 2011 MPB and it runs no problem.

Did you happen to use GOG by chance? I'm trying to help my brother run the game on his Mac, but he continues to get "image not recognised" window after downloading the game multiple times from GOG via their downloader or just the standalone file. I'm playing on PC myself so I'm not sure of the issue, and he's out of town. Bah.

(Link to GOG thread if anyone knows anything/can help it would be *very much* appreciated)
http://www.gog.com/forum/pillars_of_eternity/image_not_recognized_error/page1

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really wonder if they'll actually be able to patch this for existing save games, or do the absolutely wonderful "You need to start a new game" thing.

One way to see if any of the companions have glitched stats is to check out the base stats they should have.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/ this seems to be a good site without any spoilers what I can see at a quick glance. Just look up every companion there and compare to your game.

For example one of my companions has 19 INT when it should be 17, so it has definitely happened to me in some way.

Galileo

Neo Member
And I also have the negative damage resistance bug on Pallegina (without equipment), although that's really minor in comparison
I definitely reloaded on Ondra's Gift. It may have even been multiples times. My whole party is affected. :(
Why? Does reloading on Ondra's GIft in particular affect the whole party?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Did you happen to use GOG by chance? I'm trying to help my brother run the game on his Mac, but he continues to get "image not recognised" window after downloading the game multiple times from GOG via their downloader or just the standalone file. I'm playing on PC myself so I'm not sure of the issue, and he's out of town. Bah.

(Link to GOG thread if anyone knows anything/can help it would be *very much* appreciated)
http://www.gog.com/forum/pillars_of_eternity/image_not_recognized_error/page1

I'm playing a GOG Mac version, because it was actually the Steam version that wouldn't work for me. Whenever I tried to download the game from Steam, no matter what I did, Steam would download the PC .exe file, oddly enough. Could never get Steam to download the correct Mac file.

I used the GOG standalone download.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One way to see if any of the companions have glitched stats is to check out the base stats they should have.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/ this seems to be a good site without any spoilers what I can see at a quick glance. Just look up every companion there and compare to your game.

For example one of my companions has 19 INT when it should be 17, so it has definitely happened to me in some way.

That only tells you about base stats, though... it's my understanding that any boost at all stacks...

robin2

I must admit I still haven't noticed any bug; I tough I had the double-click-equip bug, but after extra investigation I found out that I didn't. Just once I had to turn off-on my paladin's aura, because it stopped giving its bonus despite being active.

---

Here stats for my level 10 eder while being naked. Do they seem ok or bugged? To me they look somewhat too high.

Yes they are bugged. Deflection should be 73. You probably have a +5 deflection reapplied 5 times.

That only tells you about base stats, though... it's my understanding that any boost at all stacks...

Yes but since items can add attributes as well you need to check attributes as well. Kanu, for example, commonly has way too high intelligence because he comes with a +1 INT turban that can get reapplied over and over again.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Take off all his gear and any passive spells he has turned on and check his deflection rating. It should be 24+3*10=54.

Edit: Err, misread and didn't see that he's already naked. Does he have any buffs on (defender)? If there are no icons next to his character portrait then yeah, that's high.

Yeah, I tested the inn and neither Eder's or custom characters' recruited at the inn stats increased.

Do stats go up as you go up in level at all?

MUnited83

For you.
Is that bug only on the maps where you initially found a companion, or does it happen in any are you put any of the characters on your party again(like inns).

Elitro

No wonder i was thinking the game was getting alot easier... I will keep playing until a patch hits but it's a bit unfortunate :(

Zornack

Yes they are bugged. Deflection should be 73. You probably have a +5 deflection reapplied 5 times.

Is my deflection calculation messed up? I thought for a naked fighter that it's 24+3*character level.

Do stats go up as you go up in level at all?

Int, Might, etc? No, they do not. Or at least they didn't in my test environment: new game, level 1 human fighter and using console commands to add experience.

marrec

Banned
Is that bug only on the maps where you initially found a companion, or does it happen in any are you put any of the characters on your party again(like inns).

It doesn't trigger in areas other than the one you recruited the character.

For example:

Load in the Temple in Gilded Vale multiple times with no problem. Same with the inn, windmill, houses.

Miletius

Oh god, I'm afraid to go home and check my dude now. I might just say fuck it and continue depending on how bad he is -- maybe just leave him out of my party.

20 hours in playing on hard and I am 99% sure my Eder is bugged to hell (will confirm when I get home). He has been tanking like mad recently, I just assumed it was because of better gear. Just a question of whether I restart or not. Sucks.

Eh, Obsidian gonna Obsidian.

Regardless, the game is pretty good, and I'll just power through it ignoring the bugs in order to finish it before GTAV lands. I'll replay it bug-free near the expansion's release.

aravuus

I remember reading about a 15-floor dungeon, I assume
the labyrinth below your keep
is that? And you're probably supposed to finish it waaay late in the game?

Acidote

I think my stats are messed up too, way too high in some cases? Can I lower them through a console command or something like that? I've seen the base stats in the wiki.

Do people know about the bug with "mode toggle" abilities?
It's broken my game.

Basically, modes can't be switched off, like the rogue's Reckless Assault.

If you shut down and re-enter the game, you can reactivate the ability on top of it being already activated. This seems to have unpredicatable effects, from stacking abilities to permanently preventing the bonuses from activating, to activating some parts of the ability bonus but not others.

It might have effects that differ based on where you are when you turn on the ability, which is super-wierd. Maybe something to do with effects unloading in area transitions.

I'm pretty pissed off that this slipped through QA. It's a great game but the number of gamebreaking bugs is ridiculous. The game was in beta for about three aons so I expected any major bugs to be squashed already.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I remember reading about a 15-floor dungeon, I assume
the labyrinth below your keep
is that? And you're probably supposed to finish it waaay late in the game?

That's the one. Apparently you can get to
Floor 10
without too much trouble but I hear shit gets craycray after that.

I think my stats are messed up too, way too high in some cases? Can I lower them through a console command or something like that? I've seen the base stats in the wiki.

I saw that someone on Something Awful was able to edit the save game to fix them. If this doesn't get fixed real, real soon then I suspect somebody will put together a utility to let you edit the characters.

I'm pretty pissed off that this slipped through QA. It's a great game but the number of gamebreaking bugs is ridiculous. The game was in beta for about three aons so I expected any major bugs to be squashed already.

It is a shame. These bugs were probably noticed at some but they didn't have time or resources available to fix them.

I saw that someone on Something Awful was able to edit the save game to fix them. If this doesn't get fixed real, real soon then I suspect somebody will put together a utility to let you edit the characters.

There are already cheat engine tables that let you do this. The problem is finding out what the values are supposed to be. Calculating all the stats for 6+ characters is not exactly what I want to be doing.

ZZMitch

Geez that is a rough bug too...

I am still in the first dungeon
Temple in Guilded Vale
but I quick save excessively... I will check to see what Eder's and Aloth's stats are like I suppose when I have the chance!

Tovarisc

Take off all his gear and any passive spells he has turned on and check his deflection rating. It should be 24+3*10=54. Edit: Wrong calc, should be 24+3*10+15+2+4=75.

He is bugged. Oh well, not gonna wait for patch and restart. Will do playthrough with bugged character and then for 2nd time around wait for patch / run with patched group.

vocab

At least the bugs are easily reproducible. There's some bugs in Shadowrun Returns that the devs have tried fixing numerous time and still cant reproduce the ones I ran into.

KePoW

Banned
lol no wonder a lot of you in this thread thought yall were good at Hard or Nightmare. Because you're using the bug (not on purpose but still)

You should dismiss the bugged characters until it's patched, but even then y'all didn't accomplish it for real

Annubis

Well, I guess we can all wait for the patch by writing on the wiki.
I just spent an hours fixing stuff that was completely wrong...

lol no wonder a lot of you in this thread thought yall were good at Hard or Nightmare. Because you're using the bug (not on purpose but still)

You should dismiss the bugged characters until it's patched, but even then y'all didn't accomplish it for real

I'm using 5 hirelings, so I'm still that good ;)

Blizzard

Banned
Just having a Ranger with a companion can trigger it. Basically the animal fails to load(portrait goes white), and you can't travel anymore because it tells you to gather your party. You can reload to a point before the glitch and be okay, but if you just let it auto-save, it's game ending right now.
This makes me feel great as someone with a path of iron game using a ranger at the moment! :p

Time to find out where save files are located and manually back them up in case of bugs (not save-scumming, my conscience and OCD wouldn't let me).

A serious run is going to have to wait until a few patches are out there. Every time I avoid one bug another one pops up.

UnrealEck

I was playing earlier and noticed a bug and thought to myself 'this game is insanely buggy'. I guess maybe they didn't have enough time to do more QA with their budget.

Arcteryx

lol @ that loading bug. Pretty sure I've got that on a number of my companions, because I'm ALWAYS saving/reloading while dicking about in new areas.

Oh well

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do people know about the bug with "mode toggle" abilities?
It's broken my game.

Basically, modes can't be switched off, like the rogue's Reckless Assault.

If you shut down and re-enter the game, you can reactivate the ability on top of it being already activated. This seems to have unpredicatable effects, from stacking abilities to permanently preventing the bonuses from activating, to activating some parts of the ability bonus but not others.

It might have effects that differ based on where you are when you turn on the ability, which is super-wierd. Maybe something to do with effects unloading in area transitions.

Yeah thats not how it works with complex games, especially ones with limited resources.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am trying to remember how often (if ever) I loaded from saves in places like gilded vale and I don't think it was often, if ever. I think the reason the game feels slightly easier for me lately is just from having a level 9 party in parts of the game that are probably still tuned for ~lvl 7 groups. I blame the insane XP from warden bounties.

Acidote

Ok, I just checked it. My
Kana
is completely broken. Like +22 extra int broken. Problems of being obsessive about saving the game to check every dialogue option.

KePoW

Banned
I am trying to remember how often (if ever) I loaded from saves in places like gilded vale and I don't think it was often, if ever. I think the reason the game feels slightly easier for me lately is just from having a level 9 party in parts of the game that are probably still tuned for ~lvl 7 groups. I blame the insane XP from warden bounties.

I know you cheated Ano. I know how you are from Marvel Heroes thread.

I'm keeping me eye on you here Ano.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm probably gonna stop playing the game for a little while until some patches make the experience more stable.

I was able to 'break' the game without even leaving the camp on my first boot.

KePoW

Banned
Ok, I just checked it. My
Kana
is completely broken. Like +22 extra int broken. Problems of being obsessive about saving the game to check every dialogue option.

dang cheater haha

I'm on Normal but still finding it balanced challenging, because I didn't get that Eder guy in the first town so I'm not using the bug. Some bear actually kicked my ass earlier

I want to play the right way

Acidote

dang cheater haha

I'm on Normal but still finding it balanced challenging, because I didn't get that Eder guy in the first town so I'm not using the bug. Some bear actually kicked my ass earlier

I want to play the right way

At least my other characters seem to be OK, but I have to find the way to fix that one or lose a few hours progress and load a save I have right before I recruited him. And that's very annoying considering the limited time I have as of late.

Zornack

Does anyone know if there's a way to edit Deflection, Fortitude, etc. with console commands? It's looking like my only bugged character is Edér, and only slightly so, and if I could get his stats back into place with the console then I'd be set.

I've found how to edit Attributes and Skills but can't figure out how to edit Defenses.

Aaron D.

Lh36ReO.png

So I took the plunge.

Looks like a nice hardcover at a decent price. I never buy game guides but they occasionally make nice mementos, esp. for epic-scale rpgs. Plus they feel way more collectable than random statues that I'm just too old to have laying around the house.

Super-stoked for its arrival.

9wxAMZ3.png

For reference, here's the last one I purchased. And before that, Oblivion. :p

Tovarisc

Question about Eders personal quest;

Does it really end to the wall when you learn that his brother talked with Waidwen before enlisting into Waidwens army, or is there more to come? Just seems like a huge tease that whole quest just ends there because you didn't hear what Eders brother and Waidwen talked about.

Top Bottom