• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Chaos17

If anyone is searching some females portraits, I compiled some over there : http://imgur.com/a/HWKcx

ldNx5NF.png

7RINbWH.png

Preview

iammeiam

Is it possible to accidentally/unknowingly end act 1? Paranoid about going to the wrong place and leaving stuff not finished.

I finished Act I without realizing it--only caught on when I noticed I had the achievment--but I was able to go back and do a couple of big things I missed once I was in Act II (I Completely missed
Raedic's keep and Eder
) without issue.

I guess the bigger question is if it's possible to lock yourself out of content via early progression?

Tovarisc

If anyone is searching some females portraits, I compiled some over there : http://imgur.com/a/HWKcx

Good stuff, especially last one. Such feminine beauty ;)

Saved

---

Just did 3 out of 4, to me, available bounties. Good thing that heads are left even if bodies evaporate :b

The Dweller, Warchief Iklak and Sly Cyrdel. They were really easy for my level 9 party to deal with :s Bounty for Nalrend the Wise in somewhere called 'Elmshore', but I don't have it on my map. It's close to Twin Elms?

11k XP / bounty return, sweet baby Jesus

Zornack

From what I've read, it's related to where you recruit that character. So if you do it in the first town, it'll apply buffs to Eder's stats over and over.

This is the bug, and it's pretty terrible:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73...llowing-stats-to-grow-beyond-intended-values/

I wonder if this is why people say the difficulty curve becomes flat after the early section of the game?

Oh wow, that's huge. I just checked and my level 4 Eder's defelction is.... 78. Time to start a new game, I suppose. I'm only 6 hours in so I should be able to get back here in an hour or so.

From the Obsidian forums:

List of bugs that everyone should know about (Game Breaking)

Kinda tempted to stop playing until a patch arrives.

Yeah, same. I'm loving the game but I might just hit up Bloodborne and Axiom Verge until the first patch.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Definitely takes a lot longer for Quicksaves to kick in for me. There's a definite 5-10 second hold up at least. Haven't checked my play time but I'd say I'm close to 30 hours.

So far haven't hit any of the others yet.

Zareth

Oh wow, that's huge. I just checked and my level 4 Eder's defelction is.... 78. Time to start a new game, I supposed. I'm only 6 hours in so I should be able to get back here in an hour or so.

Yeah, same. I'm loving the game but I might just hit up Bloodborne and Axiom Verge until the first patch.

His deflection being that high isn't impossible so I would go through his traits/equipment and see if it makes sense before you do anything drastic.

I just thought it was the good armor and shield. He would still take damage in the first dungeon in the town but now he barely gets hit. He might have like 5% endurance taken off during a fight. So I probably have this bug too.

studyguy

So if I quicksaved in gilded vale, Eder would have a stat increase each time right?
Is that how it works.
Fuck lol, I mean he still dies. Sometimes...

iammeiam

That would explain why I found my level 6 Eder underwhelming--I've never triggered the bug since I picked him up late, and he's way squishier than the hired fighter I had him replace. Could not figure out why everyone was so impressed by him.

So I'm thinking of trying a Chanter. I notice that Constitution is one of their highly recommended stats. Is there something about their kit that uses endurance or health?

studyguy

That would explain why I found my level 6 Eder underwhelming--I've never triggered the bug since I picked him up late, and he's way squishier than the hired fighter I had him replace. Could not figure out why everyone was so impressed by him.

Man, I was like fighting the stuff in level 5 of the Endless path and everyone was getting fucking REKT. Except him. I mean he was, but not relative to everyone else. Fuck... I'm almost 20hrs in too!

Zornack

Easiest way to figure it out is to strip him of all his gear and look at the stats.

47 @ level 4. It should be 25+3*4=37, right?

Edit: Scratch that, should be 25+3*3=34, I believe.

Edit #2: Nah, my deflection calculation is totally off. I just started a level 1 fighter and he has 27 deflection. Anyone know what the calculation is to figure out a naked fighter's deflection?

So if I quicksaved in gilded vale, Eder would have a stat increase each time right?
Is that how it works.
Fuck lol, I mean he still dies. Sometimes...

Yeah, every quick load in GV will trigger the bug.

Galileo

Neo Member
Yeah, it seems I have this bug on Eder, the other companions are fine but his defense stats are too high, probably his defensive aura got applied multiple times when loading saves in Gilded Vale.
Not sure what to do, I'm 40 hours in and have no intention to restart, I hope they fix this retroactively otherwise I'll have to finish the game this way.

Kinthalis

Banned
I feel bad for Obsidian. They do the complex games very few other studios even attempt and one hand they have publisher who push for early releases, and on the other hand they have a very small budget to work with, both of which are going to impact the quality of QA.

Hope they get this stuff fixed fast.

Luckily I haven't bene hit by anything yet.

Zornack

FML. 20 plus hours in and I am pretty sure I have that bug. Can someone provide the easiest way to tell? I quick save a ton... :/

Unequip all gear from Eder and turn off the Defender ability if you have it. Check your deflection stat. It should, I believe, be equal to 25+3*(x-1), where X is his level.

Edit: My calculation for figuring out what his deflection should be is off. Anyone know what it actually is?

Edit #2: The calculation is 24+3*x where x is the character level.

pahamrick

For a game of this magnitude I'm surprised there aren't more critical / game breaking bugs to be honest.

Either way, since my saves got wiped I might just wait for the patch before restarting again.

garath

Saves are taking like 30 seconds to process for me now. It's gotten progressively worse lately :(.

Are you adding new saves all the time? I'm cycling the same 10 or so saves + quicksave. Some games really struggle with a huge save set. My saves still only take a few seconds.

I also have the game on my SSD. Probably helps with the saving.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for Obsidian. They do the complex games very few other studios even attempt and one hand they have publisher who push for early releases, and on the other hand they have a very small budget to work with, both of which are going to impact the quality of QA.

Hope they get this stuff fixed fast.

Luckily I haven't bene hit by anything yet.

There's no publisher to blame here- but yeah, I just assume day 1 WRPGs are going to buggy to hell. I mean, somehow everyone in the backer beta missed the double click buff, so whatever, I'm just glad it's not troika level (or new vegas/fallout 3 level for that matter- at no point in the game so far have dead dogs appeared out of the sky to rain on my head in PoE).

studyguy

Well any load will do it, but yeah just saving won't trigger it. You have to load into an area where the character was recruited in order to trigger the bug.

Maybe my save isn't too bad then.
I've saved a ton in GV, but I haven't loaded in more than maybe twice in the actual map for it. Mostly it's loading in the wilds around it or the Inn... I hope the Inn doesn't do it.

From the Obsidian forums:

List of bugs that everyone should know about (Game Breaking)

Kinda tempted to stop playing until a patch arrives.
Nr 1 http://forums.obsidi...tended-values/�

The mother of all game breaking bugs and the main reason so many people are complaining that the game is too easy on HARD difficulty.

Loading a Savegame in the same map where you picked up a companion, and the companion is wearing armor that boost <random stats>.

Each time you load a savegame, the stats increase! do it 100 times and your character is INVINCIBLE.

I suppose this is why Pallegina has over 100 Will even when naked. Most of my characters have defensive stats way higher than they should be now that I look at it. I suppose I'm just going to breeze through the game huh?

Tovarisc

I highly doubt Paradox pushed for early/rushed release.

---

Here stats for my level 10 eder while being naked. Do they seem ok or bugged? To me they look somewhat too high.

Kinthalis

Banned
I suppose this is why Pallegina has over 100 Will even when naked.

She's a looker alright!

You know, maybe I was hit by this, because Eder seems awfully resilient. The couple of times my party has been wiped since I recruited him, he's always the last one standing, and keeps on dishing it out for atleast a minute before going down.

Hmmm, gotta check that character sheet.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The new bug is ok because it just offsets the other bugs that neuter passives and break cipher focus :p

I'll have to check when I get home. The game hasn't been terribly difficult lately, but it's certainly not trivial and no one has crazy high attributes.

Man, it's gonna be a hoot starting a 2nd playthrough in the near future and not having to worry about stumbling into huge, character-mangling bugs :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Damn, that's probably why my Eder can proc Second Chance multiple times per fight, when my main character with a Second Chance ring can only do it once. :/ I'm going to hold off playing any more until a patch, don't want to trivialize the difficulty.

studyguy

Next playthrough bug free will certainly be interesting.
Maybe I'll get blown away more often... Oh the mage is probably getting stat boosts too, huh?

Kinthalis

Banned

Obviously. It's been the story with them though. Publishers pushing for early release son previous titles, and of course a very tight budget here for Pillars. Pretty sure this game can't be made by a studio the size of Obsidian on 4 million dollars (minus taxes, minus backer rewards, minus kickstarter cut).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
That explains why Eder and my Paladin never die in hard fights but everyone else in my party does...

Are you adding new saves all the time? I'm cycling the same 10 or so saves + quicksave. Some games really struggle with a huge save set. My saves still only take a few seconds.

I also have the game on my SSD. Probably helps with the saving.

Yea I add new saves everytime. I should probably cull that list.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I now feel better about playing Normal instead of Hard at the outset. Now when I go back for my second run a little while after I complete this the game will hopefully be free of such crazy bugs. Fun run then serious run.

marrec

Banned
Well any load will do it, but yeah just saving won't trigger it. You have to load into an area where the character was recruited in order to trigger the bug.

So I'm assuming that means loading into the Inn or Windmill or Temple won't trigger it. Only specifically loading into the Gilded Vale map.

I may be alright for the most part then. *hmm*

Zornack

---

Here stats for my level 10 eder while being naked. Do they seem ok or bugged? To me they look somewhat too high.

Take off all his gear and any passive spells he has turned on and check his deflection rating. It should be 24+3*10=54. Edit: Wrong calc, should be 24+3*10+15+2+4=75.

So I'm assuming that means loading into the Inn or Windmill or Temple won't trigger it. Only specifically loading into the Gilded Vale map.

I may be alright for the most part then. *hmm*

Yeah, I tested the inn and neither Eder's or custom characters recruited at the inn's stats increased.

Top Bottom