• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Sou Da

epmode, your solution to my problem. I can't tell if it worked, the continue and load options are grayed out every other start.

In addition to that I can make a new save and load it but does seem somewhat large at 1,799 mb.

Gaz_RB

I'll probably just dump the companions and create an all new party for the rest of this playthrough. Next playthrough when its patched then I'll just use the companions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How does creating a party work? I see you can hire people at the inn for money... do you need to keep paying them after you hire them? Do they level up like normal companions?

garath

How does creating a party work? I see you can hire people at the inn for money... do you need to keep paying them after you hire them? Do they level up like normal companions?

It's a one time fee. The cost depends on the level they are when you get them. Thereafter they are in your party forever and level like normal companions. They just don't have a backstory.

That feel when your 20 hours in and want to reroll because you don't like how you progressed your main character.

I got Riposte on my rogue but the problem is if he gets hit he is just about dead.

KingKong

Yeah thats not how it works with complex games, especially ones with limited resources.

thats true for really obscure bugs (like maybe the random sequence of events that caused ctds in Raedrics castle), but stuff like double clicking inventory items and saving/loading in areas should have been noticed

Zalusithix

Yay, I got my signed Kickstarter box in today along with the physical books! (Which means I now have two guide books as one was in the game box - oops.) I'm pretty sure I could use it as an improvised weapon - sturdy, heavy, and quite large. Not quite as big as the Starcraft 2 LE box, but still...

Now to wait for the patches before I really begin to play... I might do a few more quick runs to the first town with different builds, but I wont be going further until the major bugs are ironed out.

Taruranto

Anyone did Kana's Persona quest?

Do you need to get to the last floor of the endless path? I like his character, but I'm not doing the mega-dungeon. :/

Sou Da

Anyone did Kana's Persona quest?

Do you need to get to the last floor of the endless path? I like his character, but I'm not doing the mega-dungeon. :/

Don't you want Kana to face his true self, become a better person, and join your party for dungeons?

So... I just ran into a super weird bug for the quest "At All Cost".
When I tried to save the merchant from the lady who wanted to kill him, the quest wouldn't finish and combat and other quests afterwards were totally fucked up (though, in a oddly beneficial way since I'd get a bunch of skeleton groupies chilling with me forever) and I couldn't recruit Pellagrina). Somehow, this partially fixed itself after I rage-killed the merchant since everything's pretty much back to normal now except for the missing companion.

Sou Da

lol, wops.

I meant "Personal" of course.

Even then why is it capitalized? I didn't know his personal quest was at the very bottom of the dungeon, but you shouldn't have too much trouble with it in the late game and he has plenty to say in other various scenarios.

thats true for really obscure bugs (like maybe the random sequence of events that caused ctds in Raedrics castle), but stuff like double clicking inventory items and saving/loading in areas should have been noticed

The circumstances that trigger the bugs may be relatively common, but the effects can be very hard to notice. This thread is filled with people who were affected by these bugs, and had no idea until they knew exactly what to look for.

Blizzard

Banned
Answering my own question, the internet has informed me that saved games are stored here for Windows:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\

Here's hoping I don't get any save file corruption or ranger companion bugs.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know you cheated Ano. I know how you are from Marvel Heroes thread.

I'm keeping me eye on you here Ano.

Shh I don't want the pillars bros to know my true nature!

Conezays

Pretty sure I haven't been affected by any major bugs yet (some text was cut off by a window's border in my inventory, but not a huge deal). Debating whether to shelve playing for the patch...only then to undoubtedly find out that we have to restart our games anyways. :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pretty sure I haven't been affected by any major bugs yet (some text was cut off by a window's border in my inventory, but not a huge deal). Debating whether to shelve playing for the patch...only then to undoubtedly find out that we have to restart our games anyways. :p

This is what really gets me.

The developers should let us know immediately if they can't retroactively fix any of these bugs.

Burt

Bottom floor of Od Nua:

I knew it was going to be an adra dragon! There hadn't been a big single dragon boss yet, it had to be there.

Anyway, after about 10 tries on it, I figured out something that sort of works. I split my tank off right, the rest of the group off left, and had the tank initiate and handle the dragon and the xaurips on the right while everyone else went left/north and cleared out the harder adds. It worked alright, although by the time all the adds were done the only people left standing were my druid and ranger PC. Then my druid died. So, I have movement speed +3 boots on my ranger and the dragon can't even come close to getting a hit in with the kiting, but my ranger only does 3 damage maybe every 1/4 shots.... Might be at this for a while.

Blizzard

Banned
So, is now the time play on super duper hard mode and get the nearly impossible cheevos before the bugs are patched? :p
I don't think party member stat bugs will affect people playing in solo mode. Are there any other beneficial bugs at the moment?

I don't think party member stat bugs will affect people playing in solo mode. Are there any other beneficial bugs at the moment?

It affects the PC too. I wonder if it works for the tutorial NPCs, you could save/reload where they join to create an ubercharacter.

Of course at that point you might as well just use cheat engine.

Blizzard

Banned
It affects the PC too. I wonder if it works for the tutorial NPCs, you could save/reload where they join to create an ubercharacter.

Of course at that point you might as well just use cheat engine.
I thought I read in this thread that the bug only happened if you loaded a game in the same location as you recruited a party member.

If it affects the Player Character, does that mean that any time you load a saved game, EVER, while wearing stat-boosting armor, the effect stacks? That should be easy to test, so I'll try it.

I thought I read in this thread that the bug only happened if you loaded a game in the same location as you recruited a party member.

If it affects the Player Character, does that mean that any time you load a saved game, EVER, while wearing stat-boosting armor, the effect stacks? That should be easy to test, so I'll try it.

It actually happens on other maps where no one was recruited too, the bug isn't fully understood. People on the Obsidian forums are reporting it has happened to the PC.
Such as this:
a7JG3bE.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to avoid this other than to never reload a save.

Galileo

Neo Member
No, otherwise my main characters's attributes would have skyrocketed by now, they're normal

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of weird bugs, does anyone know how to delete save files? I've tried to delete an old path of iron save file twice from the menu, and each time it vanishes, but every time I start the game again the old save file shows up.

I could try to figure out which save file it is in the directory, but that's kind of scary with the numbers.

Tovarisc

Speaking of weird bugs, does anyone know how to delete save files? I've tried to delete an old path of iron save file twice from the menu, and each time it vanishes, but every time I start the game again the old save file shows up.

I could try to figure out which save file it is in the directory, but that's kind of scary with the numbers.

Doesn't that save sync back from Steam Cloud? I assume you have it enabled for PoE.

My internet at home has been down for the last few days and I can't download this, so I picked up my Baldurs Gate playthrough again. Which has actually been good, but man I want this game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It actually happens on other maps where no one was recruited too, the bug isn't fully understood. People on the Obsidian forums are reporting it has happened to the PC.

Well f this shit show, I am out. Not playing this at all until they fix this mess.

And I'm 90% sure they are going to tell us we need to restart the entire game once they fix all these bugs.

Blizzard

Banned
Such as this:

There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to avoid this other than to never reload a save.
I mean, there has to be an actual mechanism that produces it, even if it isn't known.

I can confirm that saving and reloading repeatedly in the inn at
Gilded Vale
does NOT duplicate weapon deflection bonuses or protection ring bonuses.

Doesn't that save sync back from Steam Cloud? I assume you have it enabled for PoE.
The actual files aren't saved in the normal cloud save location, and I deleted the save from ingame. Does this mean the game isn't removing Steam Cloud saves even when you click delete? I didn't notice an ingame option for that.

Burt

Bottom floor of Od Nua:

I knew it was going to be an adra dragon! There hadn't been a big single dragon boss yet, it had to be there.

Anyway, after about 10 tries on it, I figured out something that sort of works. I split my tank off right, the rest of the group off left, and had the tank initiate and handle the dragon and the xaurips on the right while everyone else went left/north and cleared out the harder adds. It worked alright, although by the time all the adds were done the only people left standing were my druid and ranger PC. Then my druid died. So, I have movement speed +3 boots on my ranger and the dragon can't even come close to getting a hit in with the kiting, but my ranger only does 3 damage maybe every 1/4 shots.... Might be at this for a while.

It's dooooone. Didn't take nearly as long as I expected, and it actually feels fitting that
my Watcher slew the dragon essentially 1v1.

Lh36ReO.png

So I took the plunge.

Looks like a nice hardcover at a decent price. I never buy game guides but they occasionally make nice mementos, esp. for epic-scale rpgs. Plus they feel way more collectable than random statues that I'm just too old to have laying around the house.

Super-stoked for its arrival.

9wxAMZ3.png

For reference, here's the last one I purchased. And before that, Oblivion. :p

Give us a post once you get it in!

Apparently damage over time effects are bugged too, they get worse the higher your INT is. Higher INT increases the duration, but keeps the overall damage the same, resulting in less DPS.

Intellect at 10 : DoT Damage = X over Y seconds

Intellect above 10: Dot Damage = X over Y * (intellect bonus) seconds

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently damage over time effects are bugged too, they get worse the higher your INT is. Higher INT increases the duration, but keeps the overall damage the same, resulting in less DPS.

Source?

vocab

Got some nasty audio crackling in an area. Didn't last long, but I'm assuming it's the same problem Shadowrun had. Also, noticing more frequent frame skips while clearing areas.

studyguy

INT absolutely keeps longer effects for debuffs. That's why my rouge has a bit more to keep effects on longer. Is it the DoTs that are bugged or is it just a side effect of the other bug.

I saw someone with a FUCKLOAD of int showing off skills. His Slicken spell covered the entire screen for example.

Should I wait to play this after The Witcher 3? It seems a bit bugged from posts in here, and I really want to have a ton of free time for it so I can dive deep.

Ferrio

Banned
So thinking picking this up after Bloodborne. Reading about glitches/bugs, should I hold off for some patches?

edit: ^lol

Volodja

Looking at the descriptions for healing over time effects it sure seemed that way to me too when I was checking the skills on Durance.
It says heals 7 endurance over 1.2 seconds (base 1 second).

Zornack

I read that post about INT but I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

I just tested this with a Wizard and the Corrosive Siphon ability. No matter my int, I tested at 19 and at 42 (with console commands), the DoT would tick on application, every 3 seconds after application and when the debuff expired. Since the time between the second to last tick and the debuff expiring isn't always 3 seconds the final tick hits for partial damage. In my 19 int case there were 2.5 seconds between the second to last tick and the debuff expiring and my final DoT tick, which usually ticks for 9, ticked for 7. (2.5/3)*9=7.5, which was rounded down.

It could work differently with other classes/abilities, though.

Dresden

Good thing I have Bloodborne to go back to. My loading screen game of choice.

No more spiders please, Obsidian! I'd be ok with less bugs too.
Those nasty beetles, for starters.
I read that post about INT but I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

I just tested this with a Wizard and the Corrosive Siphon ability. No matter my int, I tested at 19 and at 42 (with console commands), the DoT would tick on application, every 3 seconds after application and when the debuff expired. Since the time between the second to last tick and the debuff expiring isn't always 3 seconds the final tick hits for partial damage. In my 19 int case there were 2.5 seconds between the seconds to last tick and the debuff expiring and my DoT, which usually ticks for 9, ticked for 7. (2.5/3)*9=7.5, which was rounded down.

It could work differently with other classes/abilities, though.

If that's true the tooltips for all over-time abilities leave a lot to be desired.

Top Bottom