• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Incredible amount of work put into the Marvel tables. The color scheme and mood of the Blade table has me in one. I can't wait to see how it plays.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Also, forgive this off topic question but it's definitely specialized for Pinball-Age: does anyone here play the classic windows port of Slamtilt Pinball by 21Century/I think later DICE? I've never been able to get it to work under Vista / Windows 7.

Playing Pinball FX 2 has me seriously wanting to play Slamtilt as it was my favorite video pinball game until the Pinball FX series came around.

Petrae

Congrats to ParallaxScroll on taking the top spot in the Pinball FX2 contest. That Secrets of the Deep score of his is incredible, but he's a consistent talent on all of the tables. Lots of great scores to go around, and there's some impressive pinball talent around here.

Thanks to Open Source for running the contest and fueling interest in the game. It's the game I have played the most over the last month, and it's been enjoyable time well-spent. There's nothing like being in a zone during a ball when hit seem to hit everything and lucky bounces keep adding points just when you think your time may be up. I used to only get that feeling in arcades, and then while playing The Williams Collection-- and now I happily add Pinball FX2 to that list.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna know how long that Secrets score of parallax took! I got 111 mil on rome, but 89 of that was from romulus multiball jackpot, I wonder if you can do the same on secrets?

catfish said:
I wanna know how long that Secrets score of parallax took! I got 111 mil on rome, but 89 of that was from romulus multiball jackpot, I wonder if you can do the same on secrets?
Somewhere in the 1-2 hour range I'd guess. The game has a wizard mode that might have a big award like you mention, but I haven't gotten it. IIRC it requires doing the crane game a bunch of times to reach it, and I don't usually bother with that mode.

When I saw the screenshots of the Marvel tables, for a few seconds I thought Zen had come to their senses and made some realistic tables with stationary toys for the Marvel characters. But then I watched the trailer and, of course, the characters walk around and fight and shit. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is fake videogame pinball.

Great game! Bought all the tables! Although some of them aren't that good. I will buy all the Marvel tables too if the price is same as before. Hopefully they don't have to go greedy just because of the license.

Add GT: Rokitty if you want more Wizard score. My scores are not that great, but yeah, I'm still learning the tables.

MattyH

no what it was i got multiball and the 2 balls hit each other and the one actually bounced up and got stuck behind the launch while the second ball just fell down the hole

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what's the trick to getting rocky + bullwinkle massive scores? The leaderboards are mental but I've only played a few rounds, I kind of don't like the table, that thing where you spell something out just makes it feel like half the table is totally blocked.

Used my free points from last months promo and finally got the PBFX2 Core Table pack. I AM COMPLEEEEETE[/Grohl]

Welcome a new last place on your friends leaderboards, lol.

catfish said:
what's the trick to getting rocky + bullwinkle massive scores? The leaderboards are mental but I've only played a few rounds, I kind of don't like the table, that thing where you spell something out just makes it feel like half the table is totally blocked.

Doing combos. I think there is about three ramps that you can combo. Two on the left and one on the right. This table is very loose on the time that you have to complete the combo, so you can fuck up once or twice and still get the combo. Triple and Super combos will give millions of points so they rack up pretty quickly when you get the hang of it. Also it's always good to get the multiball. That is how I got 100 million under a minute.

There's a SotD tourney going, with a Marvel Pinball code to the winner. I think it lasts 16 days.

Edit: I should clarify that it is an in-game tourney. Enter via the Tournaments button at the bottom of the main menu.

Cth

Add me to the list!

Gamertag: cth

Definitely getting the Marvel tables when they're available! Here's hoping they add a Hulk or FF table as well.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Open Source said:
There's a SotD tourney going, with a Marvel Pinball code to the winner. I think it lasts 16 days.

Edit: I should clarify that it is an in-game tourney. Enter via the Tournaments button at the bottom of the main menu.

this game needs more love, just noticed this tourny as well. super awesome. For some reason though, I can't generate big scores on SOTD. I can play that table for a long time, hit lots of things, but kind of.... just screw up the multiball which takes ages to get and then end with around 30 mil after about 30 minutes :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well this thread has pretty much died but I see on the friends list that a few are still playing the tournament.

Anybody still playing add me for some score competitions, I still play alot

GT: armedcatfish

Also, I finally figured out how to get the bonus multiplier on Secrets of the deep.

you have to hit the jellyfish that's on the right side of the field just above/right of the bumper/magnasave on the right flipper. If you hit that, the guy says 'interesting' and the bottom left plunger starts flashing. Get the ball in there, then shoot successfully the jellyfish again and it triggers the bonus multiplier.

I have only ever got that once and don't think I'll ever be able to get it again :lol

TwiztidElf

I want to track down the guy who designed the Rome table and mash his face into the kerb until it's a bloody mess. Can't stop playing it. But oh, the cries of anguish! ARRRGGGG.

Codes sent to the winners, check your PMs (they also get the Marvel tables a week early). Release date for Xbox 360 is next week, PS3 the week after.

Open Source said:
Codes sent to the winners, check your PMs (they also get the Marvel tables a week early). Release date for Xbox 360 is next week, PS3 the week after.

Yeah, the 8th according to MS's press release for Dec.

Damn Petrae/GameGuyPeter, you blew my Secrets score away. In fact, I'm all the way down to #20 on that table now. People are figuring it out.

I'll enjoy my world #1 on Spider-Man while it lasts though :D

Edit: GameGuyPeter has already beaten me on Spider-Man. Hey, at least GAF has the #1 and #2 spots for now!

Time for another contest - shorter time period, smaller prize than last time. Plus a change to the rules. And no prizes for the last three winners - sorry. Bragging rights only for you guys.

This time we will be doing combined score on the Marvel tables, with a catch: the max credit you receive on any of the tables is 2X your lowest table score. So if your lowest score on any of the 4 tables is 1 million, the most points you can get from any other table is 2 million. That way, you can't just master 1 table and win.

Contest ends Monday Dec 13 at 12AM PST.

The prize is a code for your choice of any upcoming DLC (Marvel, Mars, Paranormal, etc.).

Please add QuasiMink5 to your friends list if you want in.

RetroGreg

I'll have to wait until the weekend when I can get a points card. I watched the quick look though. I love the cheesy voices in all the tables. So bad they're good :D .

So, I picked up the Marvel tables for this game, it is my first set of tables. I am really liking it. I have 800 points left, any suggestion on the best tables for the game? Also, I could really use some more friends on my FR playing this. Shoot me an invite, my GT is monkyofdoom.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
darkressurection said:
So, I picked up the Marvel tables for this game, it is my first set of tables. I am really liking it. I have 800 points left, any suggestion on the best tables for the game? Also, I could really use some more friends on my FR playing this. Shoot me an invite, my GT is monkyofdoom.

All the PFX2 tables are masterful. Secrets of the Deep, Pasha, Biolab, and Rome...but I would swap Rome out for Excalibur, as it is great :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MrTroubleMaker said:
I wish, but I bought them all too.

for anyone that wants to see the tables, Quick Look: Marvel Pinball

I could watch that for all of 15 seconds before the hosts got incredibly annoying. It was like an audio version of the last year of EGM.

JYKSTA

Picked up the tables and played a bit, all really nice. Will definitely be jumping on more this weekend. Feel free to add me to your friend list. GT: JYKSTA

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Played them last night. REALLY LOVED the Blade table - WOW! I've never seen Pinball games do these things, but yknow. Wow. All of the new tables are top notch. Highly recommended! I even liked Wolverine's...and I hate Wolverine! :lol

Seriously, they gave me multiple boners. Well not seriously but...mental boners.

I hope the excellent quality of the Marvel pack is a good indicator of the future of Zen's DLC. Still wish they would tone down the busyness of the playfield art and props, though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MightyHedgehog said:
I hope the excellent quality of the Marvel pack is a good indicator of the future of Zen's DLC. Still wish they would tone down the busyness of the playfield art and props, though.

I like that actually, it takes friggin AGES to figure out all the modes and options. I only just figured out multipliers in secrets of the deep and I played a STUPID amount of that table.

Just grabbed all 4 tables. gonna crack into em tomorrow.

All the PFX2 tables are masterful. Secrets of the Deep, Pasha, Biolab, and Rome...but I would swap Rome out for Excalibur, as it is great

good table, had some success on that one, started playing it a bit more, I don't like that damn ramp on just above right of the right bumper though, never ONCE managed to get a ball up there.

Coldsnap

I just bought this game and wow i just lost four hours of my life, so good. Does everyone immediately change over to view 6 or is it just me? Any tips on Rome? It is the first board I've set out to learn and I suck, record is 5mill something.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Coldsnap said:
I just bought this game and wow i just lost four hours of my life, so good. Does everyone immediately change over to view 6 or is it just me? Any tips on Rome? It is the first board I've set out to learn and I suck, record is 5mill something.

Tips for rome... it's the hardest one :)

learn to whack the tilt button if you shoot it half way up 1 of the 2 ramps, it can quite often sail back down direct between the flippers.

Best tip is practice. Just read the help guide for the different modes, which probably won't make sense at first, try and stop the ball on flippers and actually start trying to target lit things.

some of the garrison modes are quite a lot easier than others, learn them and try and tick them off like that.

EDIT: I love the new marvel tables and I'm pretty decent at ironman, spiderman and wolverine. OH LORD do I suck at blade though.

tahrikmili said:
I got the original on 360 and hated the physics, it just did not feel natural..

If this feels at all like Pinball Dreams/Fantasies on my Amiga I may cave in and give it a re-try..

I played FX1 demo and had the same impression. I'm a big pinball fan but after playing Dreams/Fantasies and Hall of Fame

Pinball FX Ball physics did not feel right.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
60_gig_PS3 said:
I played FX1 demo and had the same impression. I'm a big pinball fan but after playing Dreams/Fantasies and Hall of Fame

Pinball FX Ball physics did not feel right.
the good news is, it's fixed in this one entirely.

Nose Master

I hate Iron Man so god damn much. It's like a larger version of Extreme :(

EDIT: Finally got a decent score on it. Almost got to Ultimo :(

Contest results!

Code:
Wolv	Spid	Iron	Blad	Total	Adj Total	
72.9	141.3	47.6	87.7	349.5	303.4	GameGuyPeter
31.5	70.2	36.6	33.3	171.6	164.4	*armedcatfish
51	139.3	28.1	21.3	239.7	134.6	*Licorice King
73.4	126.4	16	21.6	237.4	101.6	Ronabo
38	48.4	14.1	14.6	115.1	85.1	*Blu10
29.5	55.7	18.7	10.1	114	69.2	glassnail
17	101	13.2	11.1	142.3	63.5	ParallaxScroll
32.4	29.8	9.2	14.3	85.7	60.3	Jucksalbe

*winner

If you are a winner, PM me to let me know what your code preference is - either wait for upcoming DLC (Marvel or otherwise), or I might also be able to get you an Earth Defense or Excalibur code if you'd like that instead.

Brashnir

catfish said:
the good news is, it's fixed in this one entirely.

This is better than the first FX, but still not as good as Hall of Fame. I really like a few of the tables though, so it's definitely a worthy compliment to it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Open Source said:
Contest results!

Code:
Wolv	Spid	Iron	Blad	Total	Adj Total	
72.9	141.3	47.6	87.7	349.5	303.4	GameGuyPeter
31.5	70.2	36.6	33.3	171.6	164.4	*armedcatfish
51	139.3	28.1	21.3	239.7	134.6	*Licorice King
73.4	126.4	16	21.6	237.4	101.6	Ronabo
38	48.4	14.1	14.6	115.1	85.1	*Blu10
29.5	55.7	18.7	10.1	114	69.2	glassnail
17	101	13.2	11.1	142.3	63.5	ParallaxScroll
32.4	29.8	9.2	14.3	85.7	60.3	Jucksalbe

*winner

If you are a winner, PM me to let me know what your code preference is - either wait for upcoming DLC (Marvel or otherwise), or I might also be able to get you an Earth Defense or Excalibur code if you'd like that instead.

WOOOOO

I spent a friggin long time getting my blade score that decent. For some reason I couldn't get a good score on blade until I changed the view away from 6 (my default view for all)

I find 6 is quite good for overview but it's really hard to make some ramps and orbits on some tables.

Top Bottom