• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

Gaspode_T

Mars might be the easiest table so far - it feels slower paced and the ramps are easy to hit. Somehow I got over 50M with my very first try and very first ball and I didn't even trigger any multiball action - just completing a few missions where you hit orbits and the one that brings the spaceship up dodging things (sandstorm?).

I like it a lot, just seems like people might find it boring before they trigger missions and the techno music starts kicking in. I kind of got a Mass Effect vibe overall.

I would probably recommend people starting out on Pinball FX2 to play this one, Rome, Excalibur, Wolverine and Blade.

I'm loving the Mars table. It has a great overall look and feel about it. It has good ramp placement for a nice smooth board.
Is the other PS3 table that they are bringing over as nice as this one too?

New table just announced - Fantastic Four!

Link

Will be released on Pinball FX2 on 18 May.

Youtube video

detail.jpg

AlkalineSolo

Neo Member
Yeah mars is one of my favorite tables so far. My least favorite is iron man. I dont know why, but I can't get any sort of decent score on that table. My current high is only 20 mil or so.

surly

Banned
AlkalineSolo said:
Yeah mars is one of my favorite tables so far. My least favorite is iron man. I dont know why, but I can't get any sort of decent score on that table. My current high is only 20 mil or so.
Iron Man is my least favourite too, but I'm quite disappointed with Mars. It just doesn't seem that exciting to play. I can keep the ball in play for ages, but I get bored with it.

That Fantastic Four table looks good!

Gaspode_T

Beating the missions on the Mars tables is where it gets hard...most of the mission timers are very short and require insane amounts of precision to hit some of the shots.

Someone explained on another forum about the achievements with Pinball FX2, usually it's:

5 pt: Most people will get it eventually, happens upon completing a significantly challenging event.

15 point: For some tables might require months to unlock, challenging series of events or missions needs to be completed.

30 point: Most people don't even know that the thing they need to do to unlock these even exists, they are so rare or difficult to achieve.

That's just a general guideline, so even beyond point competition this game has a lot of depth in trying to understand and go for achievements.

The Iron Man table is so damn hard that even the 5 pt achievement is super challenging, and 30 point is apparently ridiculous (I don't have the confidence that I would be able to get it so I'm not even bothering to research about it).

One of the things about the Iron Man table to keep in mind is that the ramps require a lot of ball speed to even clear, so you should play conservatively and aggressively at the same time, or else you will get a lot of ball outs from balls coming down backwards on the ramps.

I really love having all of the tables for variety...sometimes you're in the mood for something like Mars as compared to the higher speed tables.

Kinda makes voting redundant when the table that gets the least amount of votes comes out first. Nevertheless the FF table looks cool and I await the others.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
So, F4 is out today. I hope that this table will be more interesting than Mars was, I completed the wizard mode once on that one and haven't touched the table since.

Nose Master

Been playing F4 for an hour or so now. I like it a lot. The missions are easy to activate and complete generally, so the scores should get pretty huge. One thing that bothers me though, is the fucking Thing. Every time you hit his gates, he stomps the ground and it causes a tilt (like you nudged the left stick). Has messed me up quite a few times :(. Still would highly recommend the table, though.

Oh, it's out today?

Logging on to buy it right now!!

edit: Why is Fantastic Four not showing up for me? I don't see it anywhere for download?

Nose Master

Just got 58 million... 52 of that was my first ball. Whoo, choking!

PS: I need pinball friends to add for that sweet avatar robe. I'll prolly drop a few after I get it, but if everyone on XBL could add Licorice King that'd be fantastic. :*

surly

Banned
I just got 529 million on Fantastic 4. Enough for 29th in the world on the leaderboards. I'm well pleased with that! I got over 400 million and completed all 5 missions and the Galactus mission on the first ball - it was just one of those lucky goes where everything went right. :D

I'm loving that Fantastic 4 table. I think it's my favorite Marvel table. I just like the way it plays and feels. Before this one came out, I think I liked the Blade one the best of the Marvel tables because of the hilarious music and voice samples.

I agree that the F4 table is much better than Mars although I still like that one too. There isn't really any table that I truly hate.

From Major Nelson's Top Arcade Titles for May 16:

Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions purchased)
1. Pinball FX2

I know that it says full versions purchased but do you think it's counting the new DLC tables as buying the full version? I hope it isn't and that tons of new people are still buying into Pinball FX2 because it's one of the best games of the console generation in my eyes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Saw a picture of the Captain America table in OXM. It looks fantastic. Lots of colors with a whole WW2 vibe.

Fucking Pavlovian response. I started drooling when I saw this topic bumped, and then I couldn't stop after I read what you said.

I NEED THIS.

Also, boy wouldn't a Marvel Villains table be neat?

I hope the next Marvel table drops the "fight the next boss standing on the table" thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the Marvel tables but I also like the sheer variety of the Pinball FX tables. So I'm hoping they shake things up a bit next time for the Marvel ones just like they do for the originals.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Since there isn't a Marvel Pinball topic for PSN (where it's a separate game from Zen Pinball, guh) I hope y'all don't mind me asking here.

After a recent game I got some "You're the Pinball Hero" animated screen (Marvel characters applauding and sound of crowd applause). Not sure what it was all about ... maybe Hero score over 1000 ... but now it comes up every time after the first game after I start Marvel Pinball.

So, if I go home today, start Marvel Pinball, finish one game on any table (no high score even), then before showing the summary screen with all my scores, etc. it goes to the animated "You're the Pinball Hero" screen. I press (X) and then it goes to the score summary. Never happens again during that session of pinball, but if I quit back to the XMB and start the game again, the animated screen will again trigger after the first game.

Seems like a bug, didn't see it mentioned here.

jvm said:
Seems like a bug, didn't see it mentioned here.

That sounds strange. I have certainly never seen that in Pinball FX 2. However, maybe the encouragement wouldn't be so bad for me after getting a really low score! haha

Seriously though, you should try asking over at the Zen Studios Marvel Pinball sub-forum:

http://forum.zenstudios.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

The mods and Zen people are really helpful when you have any questions or concerns.

The new Marvel Captain America table is out and it is a really fun table with a decent mix of missions from what I've tried out so far. Definitely feels on par with last Marvel table, Fantastic Four, though it might be even easier to keep the ball in play.

surly

Banned
Have the scores been reset again for the Rocky & Bullwinkle table? I had a medal for being first place among my friends the last time I played Pinball FX2 (a few days ago), but I fired the game up today and another friend was top of the friend leaderboard with a score of just 4 million and I wasn't on it at all.

The new table is good!

Nose Master

MightyHedgehog said:
The new Marvel Captain America table is out and it is a really fun table with a decent mix of missions from what I've tried out so far. Definitely feels on par with last Marvel table, Fantastic Four, though it might be even easier to keep the ball in play.

Easier than F4? F4 is already super easy to get the ball alive in. Shiiiiieeeet.

Joystiq said:
Zen Studios' Pinball FX2 and Twisted Pixel's Ms. Splosion Man have revealed a cross-splode-form promotion. Ms. 'Splosion Man will have her own table in the pinball sim, while an arcade room in Ms. 'Splosion Man, will have a "virtual Pinball FX 2 table where you can dive right into the hot XBLA pinball action directly."

Ms. 'Splosion Man hits Xbox Live Arcade on July 13 for 800 MSP ($10). There is currently no release date or price announcement for Ms. 'Splosion Man's Pinball FX 2 table, but it should arrive shortly after the XBLA game's debut and cost a few dollars.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/07/ms-splosion-man-gets-a-table-in-pinball-fx-2/

Haha awesome. Day one (for both the game and the table)!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Zen said on FB that the table should be out around PAX, which is at the end of August. Little far-removed from Ms. Splosion Man's release, could have coordinated that better.

Gaspode_T

The only thing that makes Captain America slightly easier than F4 is when you save bucky and he gives you a random % ball save chance, sometimes that seems to keep you alive longer. The 30 pt achievement mission for both F4 and Captain America is still way out of my league.

Ms Sposion Man table is going to be super spazzy, should be a fun one! Hopefully the soundeffects are kept in check to not be too annoying, some people out there play these tables for 100 hours each :p

jergrah

Well - Im LTTP on this game, not really sure how I originally missed since I love pinball. Ive been playing a ton of Captain America and MARS lately and really enjoy the game thus far. Seeing the announcement of the Ms Splosion Man table made my day -- love the games the Twisted Pixel guys roll out and am excited to see how they translate that quirky world to a pinball table.

Any suggestions on the next best table or set of tables to purchase after Captain America and MARS? Ive tried a handful of trial tables so far, but was curious if there's a consensus on the overall best set or single table to move to next.

jergrah said:
Any suggestions on the next best table or set of tables to purchase after Captain America and MARS? Ive tried a handful of trial tables so far, but was curious if there's a consensus on the overall best set or single table to move to next.

Do you have the Pinball FX2 core tables? Those are great. Especially Secrets of the Deep!

jergrah

added_time said:
Do you have the Pinball FX2 core tables? Those are great. Especially Secrets of the Deep!

Nope, just have the two I mentioned thus far. Ill give that one a go tonight, thanks!

legbone

just picked up the core package, marvel tables and the capn america table the other night. i really suck at these games but they are fun and relaxing. i don't think i've ever completed a mission. oh well. anyway, the secrets of the deep table is my favorite by far. it was worth the 800 space bux all on it's own in my opinion. it really is just a beautiful and fun table to play.

see5harp

Just keep playing and you'll figure out what you need to do on most of the tables. I actually like Rome and Secrets because of the easy to follow mission structure. Captain America seems easy enough but the target on the bottom left near the flipper is impossible for me to hit consistently.

Neuromancer said:
Wow that's a lot of Marvel. They're probably the best selling tables but I have no interest in them, unfortunately.

I don't like the Marvel tables as much as the originals either... but the photo released of Ghost Rider makes it at least appear to be set up more like a real pinball table and less like the style they were taking so far with those. Hopefully it will turn out to be true.

Top Bottom