• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

Are there any upcoming tables anyway? Haven't heard much

Yeah. Unfortunately there is another Marvel 4-pack coming soon:

Avengers tables

I like the Marvel tables but I really prefer the originals like Epic Quest.

and they also announced that they are doing a table based on a game by Popcap. I'm really hoping it will be Peggle since it would make so much sense for pinball.... but I think they may go with Plants vs Zombies since it's very popular.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Could anyone tell me how to not suck at the Blade table? I'm usually in the top 2 or 3 spots on the leaderboard among my friends, but I'm like 8th on Blade. I just can't get the hang of the table for some reason. =/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah. Unfortunately there is another Marvel 4-pack coming soon:

Avengers tables

I like the Marvel tables but I really prefer the originals like Epic Quest.

and they also announced that they are doing a table based on a game by Popcap. I'm really hoping it will be Peggle since it would make so much sense for pinball.... but I think they may go with Plants vs Zombies since it's very popular.

I'm hoping, now that Zen Pinball on PS3 is being updated for parity with PBFX2, that they can afford to budget for more original tables. Since I assume they'll be able to release those on both platforms at the same time, thus directly doubling the potential profits from creation of a single table... (no extra time and staff required to port it in one direction after the fact.)

Could anyone tell me how to not suck at the Blade table? I'm usually in the top 2 or 3 spots on the leaderboard among my friends, but I'm like 8th on Blade. I just can't get the hang of the table for some reason. =/

There is a nice table guide here:

Blade table guide

I don't know if that helps you or not though. I'm not too great at the Blade table even though I love it!

PS here is a link to table guides for many of the tables in case anyone needs or wants them!

Pinball FX / Zen Pinball Table Guides!

The release date was announced for the Avengers 4-table pack:

Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles has been confirmed for a June 19th release for Marvel Pinball on PlayStation Network for PS3 in North America ($9.99), and June 20th for Pinball FX2 on Xbox LIVE Arcade (800 MSP) and Marvel Pinball on PlayStation Network for PS3 in Europe (€9.99).

Even though it's Marvel tables, I'm still so hyped to play some new tables!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Embargo is up tomorrow, I've got a review done I'll share with you all.

Scrum

Bought it and I like it. Really good tables.
But one thing that caught me a bit offguard is the fact that there´s only one achivement at each table worth 50 points.
Not that it matters that much but I liked the old system ie easy: 5 points medium: 15 points and hard: 30 points.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But one thing that caught me a bit offguard is the fact that there´s only one achivement at each table worth 50 points.
Not that it matters that much but I liked the old system ie easy: 5 points medium: 15 points and hard: 30 points.

Yeah, when my first one popped I was like "DAMN I LUCKED OUT, I NEVER GET THE BIG ONES!"

Great tables though.

I don't really care about achievements but that is a very strange thing for them to change... I wonder if Microsoft made them change it?

The tables seem awesome so far after my first play. I liked World War Hulk a lot.

I don't really care about achievements but that is a very strange thing for them to change... I wonder if Microsoft made them change it?

and it looks like I was right:

"Microsoft has a 99 achievement limit so Zen has cut it down to 1 per table to conserve how many they have left for future tables"

That is fucking ridiculous. Stupid Microsoft.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
and it looks like I was right:

"Microsoft has a 99 achievement limit so Zen has cut it down to 1 per table to conserve how many they have left for future tables"

That is fucking ridiculous. Stupid Microsoft.

To be fair, 99 is a LOT of achievements for a single game, and when the system was unveiled, the only game that ended up challenging it was Orange Box due to it containing five entire games.

To be fair, 99 is a LOT of achievements for a single game, and when the system was unveiled, the only game that ended up challenging it was Orange Box due to it containing five entire games.

If you think about what Pinball FX2 is though, it isn't like a regular game. I look at every table as a separate game because each pinball machine in the arcade would be a different game.
I know there are other multiple game collections that share achievements but they usually launch all at once and not over the course of years the way Pinball FX2 has. It just begs the question: why 99? Why not 125 then? Even better, why not evaluate each product on its own merits and see what is most suitable?

Like I said earlier, I don't even care about achievements but I just get annoyed and surprised by all the different quirks and stupid arbitrary rules that they have for the XBLA service like how patching games is so difficult and so on.

zorbsie

Played the new tables last night. Fantastic stuff. These dlc tables get better and better. I was ready to pay 1200msp for them, at 800msp is a steal.

Gaspode_T

Damn I was wondering why no achievements were popping even though I was completing some missions last night

The avengers tables are all awesome, my favorite is the base one...picking a character at the beginning is a great twist.

So now that I've put in a bit more time.. here are my quick takes on the four new tables:

Infinity Gauntlet- I LOVE this one mainly because I think it's hilarious hearing that evil voice talking about winning a girl's love over and over... haha

The Avengers- This one isn't clicking with me quite as much as the others yet.. kinda like X-Men from the last 4-pack was my least favourite of that bunch. I like the idea of choosing different balls as a strategy though so I'm sure I'll like it better soon

Fear Itself - This is probably the best one. Very old school in feel and difficult. Hilarious though how it re-uses some sound effects from previous tables

World War Hulk - A great theme and great table. It is probably the easiest of the bunch but it makes it good for a relaxing play.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So now that I've put in a bit more time.. here are my quick takes on the four new tables:

Infinity Gauntlet- I LOVE this one mainly because I think it's hilarious hearing that evil voice talking about winning a girl's love over and over... haha

The Avengers- This one isn't clicking with me quite as much as the others yet.. kinda like X-Men from the last 4-pack was my least favourite of that bunch. I like the idea of choosing different balls as a strategy though so I'm sure I'll like it better soon

Fear Itself - This is probably the best one. Very old school in feel and difficult. Hilarious though how it re-uses some sound effects from previous tables

World War Hulk - A great theme and great table. It is probably the easiest of the bunch but it makes it good for a relaxing play.

I agree about almost everything - but I just don't have as much fun on Infinity Gauntlet as the others. X-Men was also my least favorite of the last bunch...no wait, it was Ghost Rider!

Thanos should not be laughed at. :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
So with my promo MS points expiring I think I'm gonna pick up the avengers table and after my other purchases I'll have enough left over for 2 240 points tables. So which ones are worth it? I'm leaning towards Epic Quest but not sure about the the other table.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So with my promo MS points expiring I think I'm gonna pick up the avengers table and after my other purchases I'll have enough left over for 2 240 points tables. So which ones are worth it? I'm leaning towards Epic Quest but not sure about the the other table.

I'd highly recommend Blade if you REALLY like pinball itself - but if you're a more casual dude, I'd say to pass on Blade as it might be too tough to understand (unless you read the help!) - I really enjoy Excalibur, STILL, and also Wolverine.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'd highly recommend Blade if you REALLY like pinball itself - but if you're a more casual dude, I'd say to pass on Blade as it might be too tough to understand (unless you read the help!) - I really enjoy Excalibur, STILL, and also Wolverine.

Thanks for the recommendations, forgot to mention I already have the first Marvel pack and Core when they were on sale awhile back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the recommendations, forgot to mention I already have the first Marvel pack and Core when they were on sale awhile back.

Epic Quest is a little different, I do enjoy it though. One important thing though...

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY PFX1 TABLES

Very important, I don't even know if they're available. I own all tables ;(

Nelo Ice

Banned
Epic Quest is a little different, I do enjoy it though. One important thing though...

Very important, I don't even know if they're available. I own all tables ;(

Yeah I'm avoiding those after what I've read here. So besides Epic Quest I guess my choices are down to Cap, F4, Ms splosion Man and whatever that other table is that came out last fall.

edit:Well Excalibur works too but that would leave me with 40 points leftover then again it's only 40 pts lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm avoiding those after what I've read here. So besides Epic Quest I guess my choices are down to Cap, F4, Ms splosion Man and whatever that other table is that came out last fall.

edit:Well Excalibur works too but that would leave me with 40 points leftover then again it's only 40 pts lol.

I enjoy Cap, more than F4. Ms Splosion Man isn't a ton of fun to me but it is good for padding your superscore. Huge-ass points there.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I enjoy Cap, more than F4. Ms Splosion Man isn't a ton of fun to me but it is good for padding your superscore. Huge-ass points there.

Thanks for the help. Will probably get Epic Quest and Cap since I'm aiming to spend my points on the most recent releases.

chemicals

Infinity Gauntlet was the one that stood out to me as BEST OF THE NEW 4PACK... although all 4 tables are really fun. Kinda getting tired of the superhero thing though... not an action comic fan.

Kai Dracon

Infinity Gauntlet was the one that stood out to me as BEST OF THE NEW 4PACK... although all 4 tables are really fun. Kinda getting tired of the superhero thing though... not an action comic fan.

For what it's worth, based on the official forums there are only two individual Marvel tables left in the Marvel contract - I think Doctor Strange and a Civil War table?

After that, they're working on originals, a PopCap table, and a few other as-yet unrevealed licenses that they claim are very impressive and surprising.

For what it's worth, based on the official forums there are only two individual Marvel tables left in the Marvel contract - I think Doctor Strange and a Civil War table?

After that, they're working on originals, a PopCap table, and a few other as-yet unrevealed licenses that they claim are very impressive and surprising.

I want that PopCap table to be Peggle so badly!

I'm starting to be ok with the Marvel stuff... I still prefer the other tables but lately I just ignore the superhero theme and try to enjoy the table for what it is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Oh hell yes. As much as I love the comic tables, I think it's time for more interesting tables away from it. I really liked the concept of Paranormal, for instance.

Still butthurt there's no Punisher table, though.

I don't read comics and I'm not a fan of comic book movies, but the comics-based tables have been really good. They provide for some really well-defined missions. I just bought the new 4 pack on XBLA and I love the Avengers table. The colored pinballs are an awesome touch. My other favorites are Ms Splosion Man (perhaps the easiest table to understand without reading the instructions and getting to the 'final' stage) and Paranormal. A lot of their original tables do absolutely nothing for me. In fact Rocky and Bullwinkle make me hate pinball.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Think I'm just gonna burn the last of my 1280 pts on more tables. Guessing Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair. Then not sure if I should get the last marvel pack or burn it on more single tables.

inky

Think I'm just gonna burn the last of my 1280 pts on more tables. Guessing Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair. Then not sure if I should get the last marvel pack or burn it on more single tables.

I did that today, kinda. Just bought the last Marvel pack and Mars (already own those 2 you mentioned). Now I'm kind of torn between the previous Marvel pack or something like FEZ. I got 900 points left so idk what I'll do.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well picked up Sorcerer's Lair and Epic Quest. Now I'm down to 800 pts expiring in 2 days. Only thing I can possibly think of that I want besides more tables are dlc for xbla games that I probably won't play haha. So instead I'm probably gonna burn my last points on Cap, F4, and Excalibur. This game is so much fun to play even though I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing though I should probably fix that by reading the guides. Always end up playing this randomly whenever I decide to turn on my 360 instead of playing my PC.

edit: Also with the PC version coming I kno I'm gonna hate myself for spending points on tables, even though they're technically free since I always completely ignore the console version of any xbla game I have if there's a PC version.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well picked up Sorcerer's Lair and Epic Quest. Now I'm down to 800 pts expiring in 2 days. Only thing I can possibly think of that I want besides more tables are dlc for xbla games that I probably won't play haha. So instead I'm probably gonna burn my last points on Cap, F4, and Excalibur. This game is so much fun to play even though I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing though I should probably fix that by reading the guides. Always end up playing this randomly whenever I decide to turn on my 360 instead of playing my PC.

The guides are surprisingly helpful - worth looking at! Some of the older tables don't have em, though.

jgkspsx

Support in the XBL Rewards forums has confirmed that Avengers pack qualifies for the 200 point refund this month, so I bought. Really amazing tables, even if I don't give a hoot about the licenses.

I agree that comic licenses make for good missions - Fear Itself is particularly inspired.

EDIT:
Not seeing it looking back several pages, so I'll bite: why not?

Kai Dracon

I have all the PFX1 tables and play them regularly. Compared to the newer, "augmented reality" tables they just try to replicate real life tables, but they're fine by me.

Maybe they're old and boring for some folks.

shaowebb

Camelot is best table. Real talk. Soooooo much to do and so many ramps on that table. I'm surprised the top score online isnt higher than it is. Lots of safe zones on that table and its hard to bone yourself.

Most fun I have is on Pasha and Camelot.

I have all the PFX1 tables and play them regularly. Compared to the newer, "augmented reality" tables they just try to replicate real life tables, but they're fine by me

I like them too. I usually stay quiet about it since people usually jump on me for mentioning that I have fun with them.
I kinda like how low-tech they are compared to the other tables.

When I go to the pinball place in real life, I play a lot of old quirky tables as well.

Camelot is best table.

Do you mean Excalibur?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have all the PFX1 tables and play them regularly. Compared to the newer, "augmented reality" tables they just try to replicate real life tables, but they're fine by me.

Maybe they're old and boring for some folks.

I like them too. I usually stay quiet about it since people usually jump on me for mentioning that I have fun with them.
I kinda like how low-tech they are compared to the other tables.

When I go to the pinball place in real life, I play a lot of old quirky tables as well.

Do you mean Excalibur?

Can you two somehow enjoy Xtreme? I can't even...I can't...I mean, diff'rent strokes but I can't have a good time with Xtreme. I do like Agents. :x

jgkspsx

I had previously skipped playing Xtreme. I do like the cheesy theme, but I also really like how constricted the playfield is. It's like a boxing match. The table itself reminds me of some tabletop pinball games I've had if they were made with real parts. I really liked it. Rocky and Bullwinkle, too.

Speed Machine is the only one of the Pinball FX1 pack that really doesn't do it for me. I don't like the rhythm and it seems more random than the rest.

It's also ludicrous how easy the achievements are compared to later tables.

If anyone likes playing in the tournaments, there is one going on right now for the "Infinity Gauntlet" table.

Trying it again for the tourney, I was finally able to crack 100 million on it! :)

Kai Dracon

I love it because of how cheesy the theme is. I'm weird like that with pinball. I love the really amazing tables but I also can have fun with a table that isn't so great if it has a really hammy theme like Extreme does.

Yeah, that nails the feeling I get from Extreme. It's really punchy and in your face.

Honestly, the only Zen tables I don't like across both platforms (PFX and ZPB) are Shaman and SF2 Tribute. Shaman seems like a half baked idea that didn't come together.

SF2 Tribute seems to suffer from early mode licensed table strategies and feels very cheap. Like a (poorly) fan made tribute table in Future Pinball, constructed out of low res JPGs of game art trawled from the web.

But otherwise I'm good.

Top Bottom