• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

TwiztidElf

Out of the four new tables, I personally find Ghost Rider to be the weakest, actually. I really love the Moon Knight table, though.
Agree. Haven't played them much yet, but so far Thor and MoonKnight are the best two, XMen is ok, and Ghost Rider seems to be the worst at this point. Don't really know until you've really explored the tables though.

Nose Master

I haven't put much time into them, but I'm also enjoying Moon Knight the most. The presentation is a bit much at times, though. Almost a cutscene on some of the mission activations.

Ghost Rider and X-Men are both pretty ass. Undecided on Thor.

It's really too bad they're all small types, though. X-Men and Ghost Rider are so god damn tiny/steep.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You can skip the cutscenes by pressing the launch button, though.

Also, has anyone noticed that on the Moon Knight table, Khonshu's voice is almost assuredly played by Mark Hamill doing his Joker voice?

I'm also enjoying the new tables, except Ghost Rider which feels too small and I can't stand the art style. Got really lucky on the Moon Knight table last night and got all the achievments in one round and reached the fifth place on the leaderboard. Only thing annoying about that table is the multiball where all the balls shine really bright, it lasts for too long and makes it difficult to see what you're doing.

I actually really love the Ghost Rider table because of the reasons people said they don't like it here. I love how compact it is and the cheesiness reminds me of old school pinball tables!

Moon Knight and Thor are probably the best tables though! So awesome.

I have only tried X-Men in 2 player mode so far so I'll have to give it a bigger try soon.

Now that both Marvel packs are out, I think that this second pack seems much better. Having said that, my favourite Marvel table is still Blade from the first Marvel pack. That one is just untouchable.

Nose Master

X-Men is so frustrating. Good god. My high score is only like, 30m atm. And it makes me angry to play that shitty table. But, it also bothers me that my score is so low on it. :mad:

Gaspode_T

Hmmmm, I might have nearly full friends list unless that limit has stealthly increased recently

My scores are decidedly mediocre so I am a good person to add if you are not a total expert in this game: GT = MemorexJ I have a pretty high wizard score because 90% of my friends list is full of PBFX2 players.

I also just got Marvel Pinball on PSN = gaspode_t there (haven't played it there yet...).

This is interesting so I will post this in both pinball game threads:

Zen Studios comment-
"A while ago (1 year+, if I remember right), we were talking with them (Farsight), trying to figure out some way to get all the tables into a single product, but ultimately there wasn't a solution that made sense for both sides. It's a shame it didn''t work out, but I see the two games as being complementary - one with recreations of classic tables, and one with brand new content."

Obviously it never came true.. but it sounds as if they tried to have one game where Farsight would have been in charge of the classic tables and Zen in charge of the new creations.
That would have been tough since they would have needed multiple physics engines etc... but it would have been more convenient for customers if they would have pulled it off.

Gaspode_T

Hmmm, I have a feeling something 'Epic' is in the air for Pinball FX2 soon...

Epic Quest is a role-playing game wrapped into the traditional pinball gameplay. Players control Max, a gallant knight out to kill monsters, score some loot, and rescue princesses. As you play, Max will run into encounters - usually monsters that he'll have to fight with a combination of shields, swords, axes, and spells that are cast by hitting designated targets on the table. Win the fight, and you'll gain XP (experience points) towards your next level. The really cool bit? Your gear and level carry over after a Game Over. Start a new game and you can pick up where you left off in Max's race to get ever stronger. Loot has three categories (yellow, blue, and purple epics, naturally), and your level will determine your rank from Minor Knight all the way up to Epic Hero.

Here is the trailer for Epic Quest which is releasing this month:

Epic Quest Trailer

It seems interesting to make a pinball table where you can loot gold and buy items and level up your character. So each time you play again, you start at your current level.
I love the hammy look of the table too since it reminds me of the old pinball machines.

I can't wait for this one!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hmmm, I have a feeling something 'Epic' is in the air for Pinball FX2 soon...

WILL BUY.

Actually, that's somewhat reminiscent of the old "Pinball Quest" title for NES that had a few regular tables and then an RPG mode.

From the Zen Studios Facebook page:

"The wait is over! Epic Quest will be available February 14th on PSN and February 15th on XBLA, PSN SCEE, iOS and Android Marketplace!"

Fucking day one.

see5harp

Someone really nice just PM'ed me a code for the new table. Not sure if the person works for Zen but I am really grateful and would have bought the table on day one. Thanks man!!

see5harp

Well i suppose if it weren't for some of the super pinball pros like parallaxscroll and others here, I would have easily won the marvel tables. I consider this payback for the constant sucking.

inky

How much is this new table? I have just enough points for either Marvel Table Pack 2 or Joe Danger (plus Alan Wake of course).

I'm loving the Epic Quest table! Such a funny looking board which is really up my alley and the role playing elements are really fun for a pinball table!

Thanks again Zen for giving it to me a day early! I won't forget it! :)

inky

Maybe in Pinball FX1 ? I've only been playing since FX2 and I've always paid this price.

Yeah, me too. I think the 200 ones were brought up from PBFX1, but I certainly bought some of those @ 200 ones like Excalibur and Earth Defense. Like I said, no big deal except for the lingering MSP.

see5harp

I finally had a chance to check out the new table last night, and it's certainly a fun ride. Just having the chance to upgrade weapons and stats and continue playing after you've lost your 3 balls is a nice change of pace. I did get the chance to break 100 million last night though but I don't quite understand the rules completely.

When you get Extra Ball/Jackpot/Super Jackpot lane lit it seems like you want to shoot straight up the middle to hit the watermill but I couldn't tell whether I needed to also hit the 2nd lane to swing the ball to the far right and then also make a shot with the side trigger things or whether to just let the ball go (which is what you do for the skeleton mini game). Also I think it would be helpful to know whether a new armor or weapon is better than the one you are currently wearing. The game does communicate whether you sell your old or new but it's only after you've selected the loot. Great table though, I like this one much more than the free Paranormal table.

see5harp

Anyone playing the new table? Jeez this thread is quiet. Managed to get 150 million on Epic Quest but am still going after the all 12 enemies achievement. It's seems like there are 4 enemies in the Forest, 4 your trigger with that side hole thing, and 4 in that far far right hole (I cannot hit this spot consistently for the life of me).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I finally had a chance to check out the new table last night, and it's certainly a fun ride. Just having the chance to upgrade weapons and stats and continue playing after you've lost your 3 balls is a nice change of pace. I did get the chance to break 100 million last night though but I don't quite understand the rules completely.

When you get Extra Ball/Jackpot/Super Jackpot lane lit it seems like you want to shoot straight up the middle to hit the watermill but I couldn't tell whether I needed to also hit the 2nd lane to swing the ball to the far right and then also make a shot with the side trigger things or whether to just let the ball go (which is what you do for the skeleton mini game). Also I think it would be helpful to know whether a new armor or weapon is better than the one you are currently wearing. The game does communicate whether you sell your old or new but it's only after you've selected the loot. Great table though, I like this one much more than the free Paranormal table.
For the multiball jackbot, I'm almost positive you want to go up to the mill and then shoot it over to the ora... orac... theatre thing.

What you mean by 'tell whether new equipment is better'? In the digital screen, you can switch left/right and see 'This does 140 fire damage while this one does 162 normal damage, I'll go with that one.'
Anyone playing the new table? Jeez this thread is quiet. Managed to get 150 million on Epic Quest but am still going after the all 12 enemies achievement. It's seems like there are 4 enemies in the Forest, 4 your trigger with that side hole thing, and 4 in that far far right hole (I cannot hit this spot consistently for the life of me).
yeah, there are 4 each in mill, forest, cave. Though some of them you can get via the other modes. For example, doing well in skeleton frenzy can light up the skeleton monster as if you beat him. Or I think you can acquire random wins or encounter random monsters by using the traveling orbits.

The best way I found to hit the cave on the side is when the launcher thing at the bottom of the forest shoots the ball at you. Don't press anything and the ball will bounce from the right to the left flipper and then you can time a good hit on the very edge of the flipper to send it into the cave.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
I'm playing it and enjoying it quite a bit. One of my favorite tables they've done. I'm also chasing the all 12 monster achievement, but I've only just started having longer games so I think it's definitely doable. I was having a heck of a time with losing the ball when it got launched straight down out of the loot hole until I figured out that you can just hold down both flipper buttons and the ball will end up trapped on the left flipper every time.

I was having a heck of a time with losing the ball when it got launched straight down out of the loot hole until I figured out that you can just hold down both flipper buttons and the ball will end up trapped on the left flipper every time.

I've noticed that just holding both flippers is a good way to save the ball on many tables in Pinball FX2. It doesn't always work on every table but it has saved my bacon many times.

see5harp

I'm playing it and enjoying it quite a bit. One of my favorite tables they've done. I'm also chasing the all 12 monster achievement, but I've only just started having longer games so I think it's definitely doable. I was having a heck of a time with losing the ball when it got launched straight down out of the loot hole until I figured out that you can just hold down both flipper buttons and the ball will end up trapped on the left flipper every time.

Yea that is pretty much my go to setup for left flipper every time because of how often the ball ends up in the loot hole. My biggest issue is getting it cave (far right orbit) which you need for 4 of the monsters. I also don't understand how to trigger when the orchalum (or whatever) switches from spells to monsters. I also don't like how many times you have to hit the smash target on the left in order to build up the multiplier (always the key to getting huge scores). My strategy so far is to focus on the multiplier and then quickly go after the monsters, which leads to the ball lock, which leads to the multiball with the super jackpot.

lush

Finally sat down and played the new table and really enjoyed it. Still need to go over the rules and everything so I can know what I'm doing but I ended up with 36M after a couple of run throughs which doesn't seem too bad in comparison to the people on my leaderboards.

Still pretty obvious that I suck at this game.

Oh and if anyone else wants to add me I could always use more Pinball FX2 friends. I have all the tables.

GT: Stereolab

see5harp

Finally sat down and played the new table and really enjoyed it. Still need to go over the rules and everything so I can know what I'm doing but I ended up with 36M after a couple of run throughs which doesn't seem too bad in comparison to the people on my leaderboards.

Still pretty obvious that I suck at this game.

Oh and if anyone else wants to add me I could always use more Pinball FX2 friends. I have all the tables.

GT: Stereolab

adding you now for your name and avatar alone.

tw1164

I think Epic is my favorite board. I managed to get 90m, which is my highest score. My gamertag is tw1164 is anyone needs more people for their leader boards.

Shiv47

The current Game Informer has an article about the Marvel tables. Civil War and Dr Strange coming later this year, IIRC.

Even more Marvel tables? Man... I actually like the Marvel tables but it's really becoming overkill now. I was hoping for anything else at this point. Epic Quest was so damn awesome that I was hoping for more original creations!

Having said all this, I will still be buying the Marvel tables because I still like them even though not as much as the other tables.

Hmm I loved Zen Pinball on the Ps3 so I bought this game two days ago with the following tables:

Pinball FX2 Core
Sorcer's Lair
Paranormal
Nightmare Mansion
Mars
Fantastic Four

I love this game but I need more tables :D

Any recommendations?

I like the basic (?) tables like "Nightmare Mansion". In my opinion they have a more realistic vibe without the special effects. But they lack music, announcer and local highscores, right?

Hmm, so would you recommend the classic tables or should I stick with the new tables?

Just dropping in to say I jumped onboard and bought the Marvel set with xmen, Sorcerer's lair, Nightmare Manor, Street Fighter 2 and Epic Quest. Having so much fin with this game.

Bit of a little bump but I just grabbed this finally due to remembering the Epic Quest table sounded interesting. Now my roommate really wants me to get some more tables but I'm undecided what to get so I was hoping for a few suggestions. I'm okay with dropping $10 or so on a set of tables or pick up a few of the individual tables.

The only table I own is Epic Quest, I didn't grab the Pinball FX2 core set. I'm thinking the first Marvel set might be good but the second set sounds pretty positive from the bit I've skimmed as well. I'm pretty open to anything but I'm pretty bad at pinball (I'm proud of my 13m score I just got in Epic Quest).

Bit of a little bump but I just grabbed this finally due to remembering the Epic Quest table sounded interesting. Now my roommate really wants me to get some more tables but I'm undecided what to get so I was hoping for a few suggestions. I'm okay with dropping $10 or so on a set of tables or pick up a few of the individual tables.

The only table I own is Epic Quest, I didn't grab the Pinball FX2 core set. I'm thinking the first Marvel set might be good but the second set sounds pretty positive from the bit I've skimmed as well. I'm pretty open to anything but I'm pretty bad at pinball (I'm proud of my 13m score I just got in Epic Quest).

The Marvel tables are my least favorites but I still like them a lot. It depends on how much you like the license really.
In my opinion, the best tables are Secrets of the Deep, Earth Defense, Sorcerer's Lair and Blade (Blade is by FAR the best Marvel table).

Top Bottom