• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only heard about 1/3 of the list but it seems alright. I'd disagree about some of the particular orderings but whatever, it's Pitchfork - if you don't disagree with them all the time then they're doing something wrong.

Off to grooveshark to check out some of these I haven't heard.

It's a yearly GAF tradition for the message board that promotes and loves independent, lesser known games to come in the Pitchfork best-of thread to complain that Pitchfork promotes and loves independent, lesser known musicians.

K.Sabot

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's a yearly GAF tradition for the message board that promotes and loves independent, lesser known games to come in the Pitchfork best-of thread to complain that Pitchfork promotes and loves independent, lesser known musicians.
Welcome to off-topic.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader

it's like the clouds opened up and a sunbeam is shining on that pie you are holding.

hopefully everyone reads this.

theBishop

Banned

It's not that shocking if you actually look at the attitude in Gaming GAF, and game development generally.

The obsession with NPD to validate our tastes on the gaming side completely falls apart on music. Quality music rarely breaks through to achieve top sales figures. But the best-selling games are generally good quality. On the one hand, I think it's a great thing that the largest game developers still feel some pressure to legitimize games as artistic expression and even the hollywood-blockbuster sorts of games make an attempt to engage the player emotionally.

On the otherhand, it's a horrible thing if we let sales figures color our appreciation of games.

Also, the nature of technology puts "indie" games firmly in a different box than the cutting-edge mainstream games. With music, there's no reason you can't directly compare Animal Collective and Daughtry. But it's kind of useless to put Braid and Gears of War up against eachother.

theBishop

Banned
Second said:
The Archandroid and Body Talk love makes me happy. Such good albums.

I've been thinking about getting this. I like her on the Big Boi track Be Still. But is it straight-up pop/r&b? Is there some depth to it? Also, is it good baby-making music?

movie_club

where the fuck is mgmt. AOTY!

MGMT-Congratulations-album-art-cover.jpg

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
theBishop said:
Is there some depth to it? Also, is it good baby-making music?

1) It's a concept album about a messianic android sent back to our time to free the world from a secret society that suppresses freedom and love. She plays this totally sincerely.

2) Yes.

HiResDes

see5harp said:
I sorta agree with that statement but 90% of GAF-HOP doesn't even know who Beach House is. Rick Ross, Big Boi and Kanye all make my top 50 EASILY so I'm not sure how wrong they are. I also agree that FlyLo should be lower and Julian Lynch makes my list easily. I would sub James Blake and How To Dress Well because I can't really say I enjoyed either of those albums very much. Actually I'd probably have Glasser in my list somewhere.
Man stop stealing my tastes in music, both Glasser and Mare made my personal top ten list.

Majmun

theBishop said:
I've been thinking about getting this. I like her on the Big Boi track Be Still. But is it straight-up pop/r&b? Is there some depth to it? Also, is it good baby-making music?

The cd has basically everything. R&B, funk, neo soul, pop. It's good, very good. It has 18 tracks and I love them all, really. Especially the ballads are amazing. So that also answers your second question. ;)

And if you end up liking Archandtoid, be sure to check out her mini album Metropolis. It's also very good.

theBishop

Banned
Second said:
The cd has basically everything. R&B, funk, neo soul, pop. It's good, very good. It has 18 tracks and I love them all, really. Especially the ballads are amazing. So that also answers your second question. ;)

theBishop doesn't make love to slow jams...

joelseph

theBishop said:
It's not that shocking if you actually look at the attitude in Gaming GAF, and game development generally.

In the case of edm, the gaf consensus is so far removed from the current movement that it is impossible not to get caught up in the fight.

Davey Cakes

Sweedishrodeo said:
you are a poser. if you think "cred" matters in any way your opinion is not valid.
Nah. I'm just a fan of their music. Got into them with Funeral and Neon Bible. I wasn't eagerly awaiting The Suburbs or anything, and the album didn't immediately impress me. It clicked at the second and third listens.

I can understand if the music doesn't resonate with you, but 50 albums is a lot. Saying that Arcade Fire doesn't deserve to be on the list at all is a bit much.

kylej

Banned

Excuse me sir, Pitchfork has VERY poor coverage of K-Pop and anime soundtracks, both of which comprise most of my music collection. How can I take a website like that seriously?

Get'sMad

I mean, there's some pretty good stuff on there, but Pitchfork still sucks big time and don't understand why people get worked up over their lists.

HiResDes

modernkicks said:
I mean, there's some pretty good stuff on there, but Pitchfork still sucks big time and don't understand why people get worked up over their lists.
Name a big name publication with a better list...

HiResDes

kylej said:
Excuse me sir, Pitchfork has VERY poor coverage of K-Pop and anime soundtracks, both of which comprise most of my music collection. How can I take a website like that seriously?

I can't tell if your serious or not :lol

jacobs34

No Broken Social Scene makes me a little sad, but besides that, I'm not going to poo poo this list. A lot of the albums on this list were some my favorite albums of the year, and the top ten is pretty close to how I feel about the top ten albums of the year. Then again, I am pretty bias towards Kanye, Big Boi and LCD Soundsystem. I still love that matter-of-fact way people tear up "best of" lists like there is a correct list out there somewhere. Never change internet!

I have heard every album in this top 50 and like ~10 of them. Also, as much as I like James Blake, putting his EPs together at #8 is so phony and posturing.

see5harp

I really don't understand why people get made over placement on the list. To me, any album that makes top 50 out of hundreds of thousands of releases in 2010, is pretty damn good. If you're a fan of music, in general, you should probably have heard of a good number of the albums here. If you don't, you are like the gamer that buys games based on commercials. You don't follow music, you don't read magazines, you don't go to concerts, you don't keep up with weekly releases so shut the fuck up already and stop shitting up the thread.

see5harp

HiResDes said:
That publication seems extremely biased towards a particular genre of music, so much that it's laughable.

It is the place to go if you want electronic music coverage though. I always check that site for reviews on mixes because otherwise I'd be lost. Pitchfork is a good site for general coverage.

EDIT: I mean I enjoyed all of the stuff from the RA list I've actually listened to. Long time Four Tet fan and I can't say the Caribou album was terrible. LCD Soundsystem was one of my favorite albums of the year, so I know you disagree there.

Kusagari said:
If you live in a bubble where electronic music is the only music that exists then yeah.
I don't (my top ten would probably have Kanye, Big Boi, Rick Ross and maybe The Roots in it), but this list still has more good albums on it than all the other lists, and it's the only list I've seen anywhere with Actress on it. Shame about the #1 is all.

POW.

kylej

Banned
see5harp said:
I really don't understand why people get made over placement on the list. To me, any album that makes top 50 out of hundreds of thousands of releases in 2010, is pretty damn good. If you're a fan of music, in general, you should probably have heard of a good number of the albums here. If you don't, you are like the gamer that buys games based on commercials. You don't follow music, you don't read magazines, you don't go to concerts, you don't keep up with weekly releases so shut the fuck up already and stop shitting up the thread.

As far as I'm concerned music ended with the release of Led Zeppelin IV. All others should stop trying o_0

Get'sMad

HiResDes said:
Name a big name publication with a better list...

I probably can't name a "better" one, but I really could care less about these lists anymore. The access to crazy amounts of music at the click of a button have kinda made these lists meaningless today. Music trends cycle insanely fast today and most of this stuff will be forgotten in no time. Pitchfork just acts as an "idiots guide to downloading" with their best new music. Does anyone actually read their awful, waaaay too long reviews anymore? The only thing this list tells me is that this year was, for the most part, pretty unmemorable.

kylej

Banned
modernkicks said:
Does anyone actually read their awful, waaaay too long reviews anymore?

Yeah I read most of them in a given week. They're usually quite good! Please please tell me more about Pitchfork even though you don't actually read their content.

jacobs34

kylej said:
As far as I'm concerned music ended with the release of Led Zeppelin IV. All others should stop trying o_0

This reminds me of an argument I was having in my Music Appreciation class. We were arguing the merits of contemporary pop music versus classical music. In the middle of the discussion this guy with a crew cut and a denim shirt raises his hand. When called upon by the teacher he says, "I think music stopped being good after Metallica." He said this in a matter of fact way with a straight face. The reaction of the rest of the class was somewhere in between "did someone just fart in here," and "I should have ponied up the cash to not go to a state school". One of my favorite moments from college.

Get'sMad

kylej said:
Yeah I read most of them in a given week. They're usually quite good! Please please tell me more about Pitchfork even though you don't actually read their content.

music reviews shouldn't be longer than a paragraph, IMO. Where did I say I didn't read their content? I check it out every now and then, but it's not usually where I find music these days. I said I just don't get why people care about these lists. I mean what's the point in ranking these albums like this when they have a constantly updated best new music section?

Diablos

I've listened to the Kanye album a couple times now. It is not as good as anyone is saying. I don't understand all the praise.

modernkicks said:
music reviews shouldn't be longer than a paragraph, IMO.
Hell yeah they should be. R.I.P. Planet Sound, best music review thing to exist ever. Though I may be biased due to our shared hatred of Bombay Bicycle Club (ugh).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Diablos said:
I've listened to the Kanye album a couple times now. It is not as good as anyone is saying. I don't understand all the praise.

It really is as good as everyone is saying.

Will be looked back at as one of the definitive albums of this new decade.

theBishop

Banned
modernkicks said:
I probably can't name a "better" one, but I really could care less about these lists anymore. The access to crazy amounts of music at the click of a button have kinda made these lists meaningless today. Music trends cycle insanely fast today and most of this stuff will be forgotten in no time. Pitchfork just acts as an "idiots guide to downloading" with their best new music. Does anyone actually read their awful, waaaay too long reviews anymore? The only thing this list tells me is that this year was, for the most part, pretty unmemorable.

I'm not saying Pitchfork is above criticism, but I disagree with every point you've made. If you're going to download everything for free, who needs a review at all? "Best New Music" is useful because I'd like some idea what I'm getting before I drop $20 on a record. And the "awful, waaaay too long reviews" is more fun to read after you've listened to the record. It helps add some context you might have missed, or showcase songs that deserve another spin.

Sounds like you should be going to Metacritic.

HiResDes

Green Scar said:
Hell yeah they should be. R.I.P. Planet Sound, best music review thing to exist ever. Though I may be biased due to our shared hatred of Bombay Bicycle Club (ugh).
Flaws is pretty good dude, give them another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom