• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ITT: Angry K. Dot stans.

I'll wait for HRD's formal arrival.

Pitchfork is the fucking worst, and has only proven their incompetency over the past year. Fuck outta here.

(._.)

Banned
horrible horrible list

i haven't heard of nor have i listened to half these albums/artist but i can confirm for you all that this list is terrible

overcast

lol he got 8+, BNM and a Selector feature. If he's not on it I'd be hella surprised. Just a matter of how high.
That's ridiculous. Proves Pitchfork knows fuck all about rap.

List doesn't seem too bad at all so far. Just, bad on the hip-hop as usual.

parasight

Can't hate on their Track of the Year choice. That song is so damn catchy and exciting. Makes me wanna dance every time.

DominoKid

Midnight City was the song of the year? I always viewed it as a pleasant enough synthpop song.

i still cant quite believe that is Midnight City. I've heard it a billion times w/o knowing who made it or wtf it was since my campus radio station plays it twice an hour. i'm can't believe people think its the song of the year. its a decent little tune but the wankery over it baffles me.

guess i'll stick to Cut Copy for my 80s-inspired synthpop fix.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I haven't listened to TONS of music, cause I usually wait for these lists cause i'm lazy anymore on the music front, but I thought Neon Indian's Era Extrana was the best album I've heard this year.

Just about every song is awesome.

Midnight City is an amazing tune, not sure I would put it above the beautiful Holocene though.

Great top 2 though imo regardless. ;)

The pitchfork - music snobs thing is really ridiculous when you see some of the pop they put in their lists.

Kesha is in there ffs (admittedly only featured on a track but still!)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Camp has got to be in the top 10, right guys?!

I mean it has to be, right? They called it "preposterously self-obsessed". That's Pitchfork in a nutshell.

Well at least it beat Mac Miller's 1.0. Mac Miller < Childish Gambino < Lil B
KuGsj.gif

theBishop

Banned
The pitchfork - music snobs thing is really ridiculous when you see some of the pop they put in their lists.

Kesha is in there ffs (admittedly only featured on a track but still!)

But they insulted my favorite shitty band. What a bunch of pretentious assholes! It's definitely not my taste that sucks.

And Ravedeath is...?

Also good? Jeepers creepers, it's a subjective list of preferences by autonomous human beings. You're the one discrediting one against the other. I happen to think they're both exceptional, which I guess makes me the winner since there's two things I like versus your one.

;D

Ravager61

I love the people in this thread that go into a rage at the mention of Pitchfork. Why? Because they like bands you don't? Because they gave a band you like a shitty score? Get the fuck over it. They are biased just like every other music website on the planet is. Use them as a way to find new music, not as gospel for what people should and shouldn't like.

That said, I like the list so far although I think Fucked Up deserves a top 25 slot. Probably my album of the year.

ATF487

Gotta remember to get that Bill Callahan record

Surprised to see Watch the Throne so high, wasn't really into it, but they did give it a good review iirc

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love the people in this thread that go into a rage at the mention of Pitchfork. Why? Because they like bands you don't? Because they gave a band you like a shitty score? Get the fuck over it. They are biased just like every other music website on the planet is. Use them as a way to find new music, not as gospel for what people should and shouldn't like.

That said, I like the list so far although I think Fucked Up deserves a top 25 slot. Probably my album of the year.
Well, music reviews are heavily biased and completely shitty anyways, and I'm not quite sure why they even still exist, but Pitchfork is consistently inconsistent with their ratings, with hip-hop especially. When you read their hip-hop reviews and compare them to eachother, their criteria and justifications from album to album weigh heavily on so many different things. Even fundamentally their flawed, which makes them fucking trash before you even start talking about individual scores.

Well, music reviews are heavily biased and completely shitty anyways, and I'm not quite sure why they even still exist, but Pitchfork is consistently inconsistent with their ratings, with hip-hop especially. When you read their hip-hop reviews and compare them to eachother, their criteria and justifications from album to album weigh heavily on so many different things. Even fundamentally their flawed, which makes them fucking trash before you even start talking about individual scores.

They don't have a single person review every genre do they?

Doytch

Gotta remember to get that Bill Callahan record

Surprised to see Watch the Throne so high, wasn't really into it, but they did give it a good review iirc

As a major smog/Callahan fan, consider this another push. Very sublime and haunting. SIWWWAE is lounging on your porch in the summer, Apocalypse is sitting on a mountain in the fall.

Beyond 'Black Up' at #1, I don't think I've really thought about my "list" this year. All the Tim Hecker talk combined with me randomly throwing it on this morning has me thinking it'll be up there.

No idea what they're going to put on their top 20, but I loved NPR's 50 best. I picked up some AMAZING music from that thread.

Ballake&#769; Sissoko & Vincent Segal - Chamber Music
Brookly Rider
Demdike Stare - Tryptych
Gretchen Parlato - The Lost and Found
Mahler's No. 2 with the London Philharmonic
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Julianna Barwick - The Magic Place

Amazing albums, the lot of them.

Oh, and New History Warfare Vol. 2 is much too low on that list!

That Ty Segall LP is pretty good but not up to par with the previous ones... if that's on the list Mikal Cronin should certainly be in the top 10

omgkitty

Number 1 will be Bon Iver, M83 or James Blake GUARANTEED. Kind of surprised they went with "Midnight City" as #1. Usually they make a left field pick, but then again they did that with some of the other utter shit they put in the top 10 including EMA, Nicki Minaj, Beyonce and DJ Khaled. Also for that one guy thinking Adele will be in the top 20, they didn't even review her album.

Ravager61

I do agree that pitchfork often gives a lot of weight to things like lyrics and certain other factors that don't have much to do with the actual music. But still, theres no science to reviewing anything. I think pitchfork is more interesting than most other review sites because they often approach their reviews from a different angle than most other music sites.

ATF487

As a major smog/Callahan fan, consider this another push. Very sublime and haunting. SIWWWAE is lounging on your porch in the summer, Apocalypse is sitting on a mountain in the fall.

Grabbing it now after that description, sounds exactly what I'm into. Heard "Drover" earlier and loved it

yes. it really was a "banner year" for hip-hop if there ever was one. a lot of high-quality albums.
And not just quality and quantity, but variety. Action Bronson, WTT, Shabaz, ASAP Rocky, The Roots, Kendrick Lamar, Doomtree, Elzhi, Raekwon, Cunninlynguists, Danny Brown. None of those dudes put out an album similar to one another's.

I don't get Julianna Barwick. You think it's gonna be pretty for a second - maybe even the perfect backing for a forest shrine in a video game?-, and then you're crawling across the floor holding your ears to turn it off as the music just compounds and compounds into horrible choral noise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And not just quality and quantity, but variety. Action Bronson, WTT, Shabaz, ASAP Rocky, The Roots, Kendrick Lamar, Doomtree, Elzhi, Raekwon, Cunninlynguists, Danny Brown. None of those dudes put out an album similar to one another's.
Yeah, pretty much if you like a certain kind of hip-hop, there was something, or even more than one thing this year to satiate your tastes.

Ravager61

pardon my confusion, but are you saying lyrics "don't have much to do" with the music? or did I misread that?

Not what I'm saying. My wording is a little awkward. Pitchfork likes to take into account external factors like a band's background, current social trends, their look, etc when reviewing music. I don't consider that stuff having much to do with the actual music. Lyrics obviously are a huge part of the music. But I also think pitchfork tends to weigh those a lot more heavily then they should sometimes.

Oh look, another Pitchfork albums of the year thread. Lots of bitching already, especially from those that most likely don't even listen to the kind of stuff that Pitchfork reviews.

Anyway, the only list that will matter is Party Pig's Top Albums of 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom