• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
king-krule-sep-2011.jpg

Its Tilda Swintons and Ron Weaslys lovechild.

Bon Iver of course, ugh. I liked Bon Iver but that shit lasted a week, max. For album of the year it sure is completely forgettable.

Nicolas Jaar should have been much higher.

tanuki

I love the Destroyer album... except for the female singer shitting up all the songs she sings on. Her vibrato, arrggghhh!

Suicide For Kara Walker is a killer song. Love it.

Only other thought is that I would've put James Blake much higher. But fuck, lists are all subjective anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Heh, I haven't really listened to a whole lot of new music this year, but I do recognize a bunch of the artists on there and most of them are pretty good to my ears.

Here are the albums I've actually listened to this year:
Sloan - The Double Cross (Pitchfork: 8.1. I thought it was great, like a really short, concise concept album, with a few absolutely standout tracks.)
Radiohead - The King of Limbs (Pitchfork: 7.9. I thought it was Radiohead's weakest album. I really loved In Rainbows.)
Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (Pitchfork: 7.0, I was not impressed despite liking Viva la Vida)
Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What (Pitchfork: 6.7, I loved it.)
Foster the People - Torches (Pitchfork: 6.2. Freshest thing in its genre for me since Arcade Fire's first album.)
Jessie J - Who You Are (Pitchfork: 2.0. Not a fan.)
Childish Gambino - Camp (Pitchfork: 1.6. The album didn't resonate with me, but I liked two or three songs a lot.)
Metallica and Lou Reed - Lulu (Pitchfork: 1.0. LOL)

Adele - 21 (Pitchfork: Didn't review it. I like her voice, but the album didn't really set fire to my rain)
Big Sugar - Revolutions Per Minute (Pitchfork: Didn't review it. I liked a lot of it, but not their strongest album)
Cake - Showroom of Compassion (Pitchfork: Didn't review it. I liked a few songs a lot, but not their strongest album)
David Guetta - Nothing but the Beat (Pitchfork: Didn't review it. I didn't really like it. The pop dance CD was pretty shitty. The out there club stuff was better, but too dependant on really annoying sound effects like a klaxxon)
Hey Rosetta - Seeds (Pitchfork: Didn't review it. Not their strongest album, felt like a retread to me.)
LMFAO - Sorry for Party Rocking (Pitchfork: Didn't review it. Really not a fan at all.)

Slim pickins for me this year.

omgkitty

I've heard 22/50 of those albums, and while it annoys me to a certain extent, I don't really have any major issues besides the fact that James Blake and House of Balloons both should have been higher. The Bon Iver choice doesn't really bother me as it's a great album that they gave a 9.5 and it caters to a lot of people. Like it's been said before, this list is voted on by the staff, and I guarantee you that Bon Iver was probably on almost everyone's list.

elwes

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeah, Bon Iver.

That album has probably gotten the most playtime for me out of anything new I've heard this year. Good stuffs.

RDreamer

I've heard 3 of the albums on this list. Bon Iver, M83, and Fleet Foxes. They're good. They didn't wind up in my top 10, but they're good.

That seems to be the thing with Pitchfork. A lot of their top albums of anything really don't do much for me. They sound good, but rarely make it above that for me. I feel like they're just on the edge of being amazing or something, but they rarely reach it. Bon Iver I suppose is pretty amazing. More stuff that fit my personal taste came out, though, so it got bumped down.

Worst year for music in a long time. (opinion)

It's crazy when I see people say this. It has been an absolutely insane year for music for me. My album of the year list hit 80+. I usually only have about 10-15. Some of that is because I paid a helluva lot more attention this year, but still. It was crazy.

santouras

I said the same thing earlier. A very overlooked album this year. I think it's been relatively buried because it doesn't have a huge pop hit on it like "1234" but I think that's a great thing.

yeah I was also surprised it took a long time for anyone to mention it as well! Personally I think it is up there with her best work, but I've always preferred her less poppy songs

JoshDigi

Neo Member
When The Decemberists put out their album in January I knew people would forget about it come end of the year. Thats obviously what happened here because there are not 50 better albums, thats for sure.

BagSquad

Banned
This is actually a pretty good list, except for Bon Iver, Drake, The Weeknd and all those other boring hype bands. But OPN at number six? Hell yes. More people need to hear that album.

mYm|17|

When The Decemberists put out their album in January I knew people would forget about it come end of the year. Thats obviously what happened here because there are not 50 better albums, thats for sure.

I just listened to The King is Dead and the whole thing was amazing. The whole cd just flew by and I loved every song

Bon Iver what?!?! wtf?! He's made some of the most inaudible music ever. I can not make out a single word in 95% of the guys songs.

omgkitty

They gave The King is Dead a 7.2....it's not really surprising it's not on that list. They usually don't drift to the lower end of their reviews. If something isn't a high 7, they usually don't recognize it at all.

Had trouble getting excited about a lot of the pitchfork canon this year, except some of the stuff at the very top(never really been into M83, only have a passing relationship with with the new Bon Iver and I honestly hate Kaputt. Am I alone on that? Album sounds like an ironic joke about cheesy lite-rock to me). BUT as you go down a bit there's definitely a lot of stuff I like a bunch. In retrospect, a better year than I've appreciated in past months. Good list.

nicerdicer

Neo Member
41. Liturgy - Aesthethica

That this would be included as the obligatory "metal" album in a year with so many outstanding releases by American, corduroy-approved black metal bands is outrageous. The releases by Wolves in the Throne Room, Ash Borer, Fell Voices did this sound a lot better, but did so with a lot less controversy.

30. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972

Should be way higher.

27. Beyonce - 4, 8. Drake - Take Care

lol

Only one CD matters.

Russian Circles - Empros

inb4shittylistfromshittyyou

Insult list.

Get called on vacuous insults.

Try to respond by not creating a list, and, then pre-emptively flaming the first poster.

Weak Doomsayer, weak.

If you're going to launch flames, at least back it up. You've just done some weak drive-by trolling.

WU LYF got robbed.
Not even on the HM list.
I don't get it.
Such an amazing album from such a new band.
Should have been all up in that shit.

Awesome to see Kaputt at 2 and Helpless Blues at 15! Those are my top two albums this year

Edit: I agree that The King is Dead should be there

Fjordson

I just think it's funny that, in light of your earlier comments, the first place I heard about King Krule was Pitchfork a couple months ago and what do you know he's not that good.
I thought the King Krule was pretty good. At least Noose of Jah City was.

<3 Merrill and I like the new tune-yards a lot, but I feel like she sabotages almost all of the songs with some kind of debt she feels she owes to the avant-garde. Practically every track has an annoying/pointless interlude. Beyond that, I like almost all of the tracks though. 'Powa', 'You Yes You' and 'Doorstep' are great. The first album is the most underrated album of that year, in my opinion, and I think it's at a little better at the very least. She seems like she would be cool to see live, she has so much visual personality and based on the bits I've seen she effortlessly recreates both her magnificent vocal deliveries and sonic clutter.

EDIT: Yah, guy above me said it, but I think that album is mostly really good, just little bridges here and there that throw it off.

Doomsayer

Insult list.

Get called on vacuous insults.

Try to respond by not creating a list, and, then pre-emptively flaming the first poster.

Weak Doomsayer, weak.

If you're going to launch flames, at least back it up. You've just done some weak drive-by trolling.

I have disgraced my people. I will come back stronger and avenge this failure.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I cannot restate how shitty it is that there is no Era Extrana on the list. I hate you foreverrrrrrrrr shinjirarenaiiiiiii

Me neither I'm starting to feel disconnected and/or old. Pretty bad at 24. That or these bands are too obscure for me.

If you haven't heard, spend an hour or two, go to youtube, type the band name in, pick the video with the most views, listen, repeat x49.

That's what these lists are for, for me, is to find new stuff I haven't heard. I usually find at least 10 bands that I think are awesome every year (from this and other lists).

Silkworm

I hope you're kidding, but I'm ecstatic to see others agree with me about Metals being fantastic.

Also Cass McComb's Wit's End was fantastic, and I expected to see that in the top 50.

I don't know why, but I seem to like Humor Risk better than Wit's End. But maybe they shouldn't be separated and should be treated like two halves to a whole. Anyway, I like both albums :)

HiResDes

I'm biased towards somewhat downtempo songs of melancholy. Wit's End is slightly more depressing than Humor Risk, which makes it superior to me : P

HiResDes

I think For Emma is far superior, and that Bon Iver's latest sounds a bit phoned in...Though I don't have a problem with it in the top 50, as I do that Tune Yards bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom