• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this last night - simply incredible. One of Pixar's finest, IMO. I was brought to tears on several occasions and it reminded me what being a kid is like.

kingocfs

P1000640.jpg

Are these erasers? I want these.

Ecto311

Seen this and went to walmart and target looking for toys of it. I can't believe how fuckin bad these companies shit the bed at making toys. Stuffed figures is all we could find. I wanted a small anger figure and my daughter wanted joy/sadness and nothing even close.

The did the same thing with frozen. All the kid wants is a goddamn microphone to sing into let it go and nope not a one. Then months after the movie and xmas are over then they start showing up. Well motherfuckers we moved on. I only see these companies going:

boss - "well this is catering to everyone so make goddamn toys"

guy - "ok sir just stuffed ones"

boss - "Yeah thats it just those for now"

guy - "but what about figures or dolls made of plastic or the entire cast in one set?"

boss - "who asked you to think ahead just make the fuckin small stuffed ones that get dirty and are too small to hug but too big to play with in a doll house"

guy - "maybe some marbles that light up or have different memory pictures inside them?"
boss - "something we can make for nothing and sell for a lot - GTFO just do the fuckin stuffed thing"

But aside from that I liked the movie - really liked the talk on Joe Rogan about the movie with dominic monaghan and how they thought about the movie.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Just got back, really great movie. Not sure where to rank it with other Pixar stuff, but it's certainly in the upper echelon.

Bing Bong ;_; Didnt even expect it coming.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I made up my mind (probably). Inside Out shares the #1 spot for Pixar's best with Toy Story 3. They both tell similar tales, but in a different way. The former shows
Andy's first step into adulthood and leaving behind his last ties to childhood
, while the new movie is about
the start of puberty and becoming a teenager, with personality changes and all. Both are different stages of growing up.

Toy Story 3 focuses on the external aspect, the toys being tools onto which Andy projects his morals and values, thus them learning and behaving mostly like his owner does. They sort of act like
Riley's personality islands, with traits such as friendship, loyalty (Inside Out's honesty) and family.
When, at the end of the movie, we see
Andy giving the toys to Bonnie, it's him accepting it's time to move on, and giving her the chance to start her long journey of growing up too.
But we never really see what his thoughts are, or how he's really feeling. After all, the toys are simply the last physical parts of his childhood that still remain.

Meanwhile, most of Inside Out takes place within Riley's mind, and represents her troubled step into the frightening teenage years (and let's be honest here: whose isn't, at least a tiny bit?). It's the start of the end of innocence, the long and bumpy road between being a little kid and becoming an adult. It's a time when one feels themselves going through changes but unable to understand or explain them, being angry or sad or hysterical or incredibly happy for no reason at all.
Trouble appears when she starts losing control of her emotions, or more accurately, her emotions lose control of her. Her personality traits, here represented by islands, begin falling one by one, which means she's losing interest in things and people she loved before, as a kid. Some of these things will later reappear as a teenager or young adult; some may take longer to come into her life, and others will be gone forever. And what Inside Out tells us is that it's OK to feel that way: it's part of the process of growing up. Meeting new people, moving into a new house, changing cities, finding new hobbies, rediscovering old ones, they all have a part in defining who you will be once you're older.

Another thing this movie shows us, which Toy Story 3 didn't, is how a 11 years old feels while going through these stages.
Here we can see Riley becoming sadder by the day, reaching the point where she falls into a depression because of all that's going on in her life, things she can't control, that are too much for her young and unexperienced mind to handle. To her, leaving everything she knew behind is the end of the world. As one of her emotions beautifully (and sadly) puts into words at one point, "She can't feel anything anymore". Riley can't cope with all the changes, both internal and external, and that sort of shuts her off, because she's afraid nothing will ever be good again. But her parents love her so much, though she can't see it right then, and will love her even if she isn't happy all the time. This is what Joy finally realizes during that sequence in the abyss of oblivion, where she breaks down and cries in what is one of the saddest scenes I can recall ever seeing in a movie, and this ever-optimist emotion accepts that Riley sometimes needs Sadness to be able to connect with people, to gain empathy and be the catalyst that allows happier moments to happen, to let others know she needs them. This is one little girl growing up and becoming a teenager, finally letting all of her emotions take control of her and shape her into the person she'll be once she is older.

But perhaps what's more important is the context for each of these two masterpieces. Toy Story is the third entry in a fantastic series. Inside Out is a new IP. The former works best after having seen the previous two movies, as it's the culmination of Andy's journey with his toys, and while it's an incredible movie on its own, I bet the ending wouldn't have had the same impact had I never seen the others before. The latter stands alone, it's a self-contained story. What I mean to say is, Inside Out did in 90 minutes what took Toy Story 15 years and three movies to accomplish. And that's impressive.

(sorry for the long rant, these thoughts popped into my mind 30 minutes ago while riding the bus to work, so they probably are nothing but silly stuff. I just wanted to share them here)

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention
Bing Bong and how his death means Riley moved on from her childhood inventions and goofy dreams.
What a wonderful movie.

Seen this and went to walmart and target looking for toys of it. I can't believe how fuckin bad these companies shit the bed at making toys. Stuffed figures is all we could find. I wanted a small anger figure and my daughter wanted joy/sadness and nothing even close.

The did the same thing with frozen. All the kid wants is a goddamn microphone to sing into let it go and nope not a one. Then months after the movie and xmas are over then they start showing up. Well motherfuckers we moved on. I only see these companies going:

guy - "but what about figures or dolls made of plastic or the entire cast in one set?"

boss - "who asked you to think ahead just make the fuckin small stuffed ones that get dirty and are too small to hug but too big to play with in a doll house"

guy - "maybe some marbles that light up or have different memory pictures inside them?"
boss - "something we can make for nothing and sell for a lot - GTFO just do the fuckin stuffed thing"

But aside from that I liked the movie - really liked the talk on Joe Rogan about the movie with dominic monaghan and how they thought about the movie.

Amazon has a bunch available:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TE8YL7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20 There's Anger for you, and the rest are in related.

Hope this helps!

Daedardus

I think the best part is
Bing Bong. The way he is laid out to seemingly be the villain makes for a refreshing take on the whole Pixar plot. He is a cute character, which makes him suspicious, for there have been previously cute characters that turned out to be the villain. He is getting neglected, giving him a motive to do everything he can to not be forgotten. He is eager to help Joy and Sadness reach the HQ, every time is was thinking 'now he'll just dump them'. He led them into a dangerous situation, which seemed like he knew what he was doing. Him holding the core memories made it seem like he could just run with them. All these pieces were set up so you thought the whole movie that he was going to betray Joy.

But then he willingly sacrifices himself so Joy can escape the memory dump. He revealed himself to have been honest and with the right intentions, yet goofy, all this time along. You knew he was going to die in some sort of way, but you didn't expect it to happen when you actually started caring for him. That's why his death stung so much. It was certainly a very emotional moment and one of the best I've ever seen done in a Pixar film. If I wasn't in cinema I would have certainly have shed a manly tear. You could certainly feel the audience tear up in the room.

Not sure where I would rank it among the Pixar movies but it certainly fits into my top 3 and might take the top spot if they hadn't done so much wonderful movies and making it hard to decide. I agree with what RionaaM has said and think it is slightly better than Toy Story 3 just because I find the setting to be more fresh and vibrant. I really started believing my mind could work that way.

Ultima_5

i saw that target had some plastic figures. about 4-6 inches depending on the character. they exist

here a link to them on amazon

edit, seems you already were helped

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Loved it, saw it with my 8 year old daughter, she loved it of course, but it also added the kind of depth that you can only get when you have kids, and I'm still am emotional mess this morning.

Ultima_5

i loved this movie. incredibly well done. between this and the monsters inc sequel, i think everyones pixar getting shitty fears are misplaced.

my gf was crying for most of the movie. that volcano thing got her going

movie spoilers:
also it would have been nice to bring back bing bong. in the credits or something they couldve show riley finding a drawing of him while unpacking which would bring him back. i mean... i still remember my imaginary friends from when i was little.

his death was pretty great though. reminded me of the first toy story with buzz and woody flying.

such a great movie

I was actually a little disappointed in this movie. Saw it yesterday, and maybe I just went in with too high of expectations based on what everyone else was saying. I almost fell asleep during the movie at one point which never happens to me. The concept of the movie was great, but I feel like the story didn't go anywhere terribly interesting with it. Definitely not as good as Up, Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc, etc. Hell, I think I even preferred Brave over it. Maybe I need more time to let it digest. Still, it was a good movie and worth watching though.

Drago

movie spoilers:
also it would have been nice to bring back bing bong. in the credits or something they couldve show riley finding a drawing of him while unpacking which would bring him back. i mean... i still remember my imaginary friends from when i was little.
(Inside Out spoilers)
I'm so glad that they actually stuck to the sacrifice and didn't go back on it. It actually made it mean something and I was so happy to see them not pussy out on it (they definitely could have, Riley finding a Bing Bong drawing isn't out of the question). It was actually really refresihing. And geniunely heartbreaking.

(BH6 spoilers)
Unlike Baymax's "sacrifice" where he doesn't actually die and comes back like 5 mins later. Sacrifices like that are ultimately meaningless and make me feel nothing. Idk what it is but watching Inside Out has triggered this newfound hatred for how by the numbers and safe Big Hero 6 was lol.

Because of all the hype and good reviews, I somehow thought it would disappoint me. Especially because I don't really fall for emotional, sappy storylines.

But it was absolutely lovely.

What struck me the most is how perfect the voiceover work is. The whole cast is great. And while, for example, Lewis Black and Phyllis Smith are the personification of their character, it was Amy Poehler that surprised me the most. The enthusiasm and emotion she puts in her voice as Joy was beautiful. For example,
when Joy's voice is cracking when she departs from Bing Bong... Poehler was crying for sure.

Also, Paula Poundstone (and Bobby Moynihan)'s characters (and again, voiceover work) had me laughing quite hard.

GIRL GIRL GIRL

Because of all the hype and good reviews, I somehow thought it would disappoint me. Especially because I don't really fall for emotional, sappy storylines.

But it was absolutely lovely.

What struck me the most is how perfect the voiceover work is. The whole cast is great. And while, for example, Lewis Black and Phyllis Smith are the personification of their character, it was Amy Poehler that surprised me the most. The enthusiasm and emotion she puts in her voice as Joy was beautiful. For example,
when Joy's voice is cracking when she departs from Bing Bong... Poehler was crying for sure.

Also, Paula Poundstone (and Bobby Moynihan)'s characters (and again, voiceover work) had me laughing quite hard.

GIRL GIRL GIRL

Moynihan ran away with the movie.

Daedardus

I was actually a little disappointed in this movie. Saw it yesterday, and maybe I just went in with too high of expectations based on what everyone else was saying. I almost fell asleep during the movie at one point which never happens to me. The concept of the movie was great, but I feel like the story didn't go anywhere terribly interesting with it. Definitely not as good as Up, Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc, etc. Hell, I think I even preferred Brave over it. Maybe I need more time to let it digest. Still, it was a good movie and worth watching though.

Are you feeling well?
Sometimes it's okay to feel sad.

(Inside Out spoilers)
I'm so glad that they actually stuck to the sacrifice and didn't go back on it. It actually made it mean something and I was so happy to see them not pussy out on it (they definitely could have, Riley finding a Bing Bong drawing isn't out of the question). It was actually really refresihing. And geniunely heartbreaking.

(BH6 spoilers)
Unlike Baymax's "sacrifice" where he doesn't actually die and comes back like 5 mins later. Sacrifices like that are ultimately meaningless and make me feel nothing. Idk what it is but watching Inside Out has triggered this newfound hatred for how by the numbers and safe Big Hero 6 was lol.

Yeah it's for the better than he didn't come back in any way. Makes it a really powerful move what he did. The symbolism of growing up and letting some of the past go is also too strong for him to come back. It would mean that Riley still didn't grow up.

I was excited whenever she did something, since she seemed to be the least used of the 5 emotions.

The sassy motions she does while speaking are hilarious.
"When I'm through, Riley will look so good, the other kids will look at their own outfits. and. barf."

Ultima_5

(Inside Out spoilers)

(BH6 spoilers)

completely valid. good point

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
"What are these?" "Opinions and Facts. It's amazing how easy it is to get them confused!"

Paraphrasing but great line.

Peltz

I'm with you. I thought this movie was one of Pixar's most milquetoast efforts. It compares unfavorably to most of their other movies.

It felt like the personification of emotions within the mind was not fully realized or even all that internally consistent. It was a half-baked concept in my humble opinion.

I think my biggest issue was the lack of agency of Riley as a character. Plus, there appeared to be only a surface level exploration of the movie's overall premise.

Amir0x

Banned
I really adored the movie, but it wasn't without problems. My main issue was that Fear, Disgust and Anger didn't really have a growth arc in the movie, they pretty much
stayed planted in the command room the entire time occasionally making funny quips before deciding to run away.
But I liked the movie. It's a bit simplistic with its messaging but I think that's effective for the kids it's also trying to draw in.

I'm with you. I thought this movie was one of Pixar's most milquetoast efforts. It compares unfavorably to most of their other movies.

It felt like the personification of emotions within the mind was not fully realized or even all that internally consistent. It was a half-baked concept in my humble opinion.

I think my biggest issue was the lack of agency of Riley as a character. Plus, there appeared to be only a surface level exploration of the movie's overall premise.

Riley's lack of agency is perfectly consistent with the fact that she's going through a depression.

I don't know what it is about the movie's exploration of the premise that is "superficial". You're not really elaborating on your opinions more than merely plopping them into text.

Peltz

Riley's lack of agency is perfectly consistent with the fact that she's going through a depression.

I don't know what it is about the movie's exploration of the premise that is "superficial". You're not really elaborating on your opinions more than merely plopping them into text.

Sorry, that's true, I'm not. I
guess the whole part about Joy and Sadness getting removed from Riley's emotional spectrum, then re-entering that spectrum without any work or involvement on her part (rather it's just a classic homeward-bound-style scenario for personified animated characters) makes me feel like the writers didn't have a very good grasp on the complexities of depression or the deliberate work that's often involved for one to pull herself out of it.

There were also many of inconsistencies within the film's premise:

-Joy got sad in the film... which doesn't make sense and felt contrived. She's literally the personification of joy.... so..?

-And the "train of thought" they were riding got destroyed without any change in Riley's behavior to reflect that destruction. She kept walking to the bus station both before and after the train's destruction.

-And Bing Bong (plus other imaginary "creatures") inexplicably existed outside of the scope of memories within of Riley's brain... as did facts and opinions... and no explanation was given as to why.

I'm sure there are more issues I could find with the movie if I were looking at it hard enough.

But my biggest problem with the movie was:

I
never really felt like the connection between Riley's autonomy and her emotions were ever conveyed once. What message actually conveying to children about emotions from a thematic/moral level? Not much. It really trivialized the concept of the human brain instead of reflecting upon and commenting about its complexities. Pixar had the opportunity to get its audience to look introspectively at their own emotions in a unique and special way. But they didn't really capitalize on that opportunity. And instead, they made another by-the-numbers homeward bound adventure which provoked a very surface-level exploration about the roles of emotions in our lives.

Watched this today. Left the theater going, yeah, that was fine. It was enjoyable and alright.

Then I started thinking about it and I think I really, really liked it.

I love the overall lesson of the movie: as you get older and your life starts changing, your emotions become more complex. At a point in your life, you're never just going to feel pure rage or pure sadness or pure joy anymore. Our feelings become layered and manifest in different ways, some not always rational, but never terribly simple. It was such a deft way to present something that we've all been through.

I might place it up near Pixar's best, actually.

Ferrio

Banned
One of my favorite aspects is if you even took out all the brain scenes, the characters still act in a very realistic manner. Just shows how well they integrated the two together.

I don't get the criticism of
joy breaking down, as, she shouldn't have considering what she represented
The 5 emotions were characters
considering that, each one of them "embodied" the emotion he/she represented, but that doesn't mean they were devoid of others. There's a reason fear didn't appear always shouting in terror, or rage in constant volcano mode, or sadness always crying = they wouldn't been able to write a remotely good script if they were fixed on their trait. We saw the 5 of them getting happy/excited when things went good for Riley, all worried when shit hits the fan, etc. Joy breaking down was one of the best moments in the movie, Imo, and one of the better crafted scenes

I still chuckle when I think about
the bearded voice actor guy reading Riley's lines during the school dream in Dream Productions. His bored expression
always gets me.

Brakke

Banned
Lovely, lovely film. Really liked it. I was so mad about Bing Bong at first, such a literal cotton-candy kiddy character.
The whole time I just wanted him to die or get left behind so I wouldn't have to see him any more. Then she left him behind to die and I cried ;_;7 RIP in peace you goof ball.
The movie lives in the little touches. Riley's HQ control board being smaller than her parents stuck out at me immediately, and then they paid it off really well.

Pixar are such lunatic animators though lol. Having Joy carry around *5* large balls in her hands for half the movie is such a macho choice. Pixar like "yeah, it would be a pain in the ass to animate these balls balancing and shifting around on each other; it would be way easier to put them in a bag or something and that's exactly why we're not going to stow them away until half an hour later". There were a couple little things like that where they clearly chose the more-difficult-to-animate representation just because they could. And of course they nailed it.

A+ Easter Egg: when she has the nightmare about the haunted house, they play music from The Haunted House ride at Disneyland. Nice touch.

Thought the volcano short was inane. Bruhs, if you lonely just complain about how lonely you are and some chick will show up and love you forever and also not have any original thoughts. Cool plan.

Brakke

Banned
Make sure you go when a bunch of kids will be in the theatre lol. At the end when
Joy offered the Core Memories to Sadness, some little twerp gasped "no don't let her touch it!!". lmao you dumbass kid didn't you learn anything yet?

Also since I never go to kids' movies I wasn't expecting those previews. Holy shit what a wasteland. We got one for some new Peter Pan movie that was the most rote Boy of Destiny bullshit version of Peter Pan I ever saw.

"What are these?" "Opinions and Facts. It's amazing how easy it is to get them confused!"

Paraphrasing but great line.

Hah yeah. It was "don't worry, happens all the time!" I think.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Can I just say I love Disgust's design, so cute
Of course. She may be my favorite too. Pixar captured that emotion (and the others too, let's be fair) perfectly.

I'd love to get the figures of all the characters, and that's something I never did before, for any movie. Don't know how well they'll look on a 23 years old guy's bedroom, but whatever.

It's OK to feel embarrassed sometimes :p

Hah yeah. It was "don't worry, happens all the time!" I think.
I can't recall seeing such an acid comment in any other Pixar movie. It took me by surprise, and it blew my mind that they said this line. Loved it, it's totally true.

Lovely, lovely film. Really liked it. I was so mad about Bing Bong at first, such a literal cotton-candy kiddy character.
The whole time I just wanted him to die or get left behind so I wouldn't have to see him any more. Then she left him behind to die and I cried ;_;7 RIP in peace you goof ball.
The movie lives in the little touches. Riley's HQ control board being smaller than her parents stuck out at me immediately, and then they paid it off really well.

Pixar are such lunatic animators though lol. Having Joy carry around *5* large balls in her hands for half the movie is such a macho choice. Pixar like "yeah, it would be a pain in the ass to animate these balls balancing and shifting around on each other; it would be way easier to put them in a bag or something and that's exactly why we're not going to stow them away until half an hour later". There were a couple little things like that where they clearly chose the more-difficult-to-animate representation just because they could. And of course they nailed it.

A+ Easter Egg: when she has the nightmare about the haunted house, they play music from The Haunted House ride at Disneyland. Nice touch.

Thought the volcano short was inane. Bruhs, if you lonely just complain about how lonely you are and some chick will show up and love you forever and also not have any original thoughts. Cool plan.

Love to see other people notice this kind of shit. Pixar are world class storytellers, voice casters, logo designers, graphic designers (
dream movie posters omfg
), but it's sometimes easy to forget the titanic skill their animators bring to literally every frame. The nuance and detail, the sheer insane feats of volume, there's just no beating them.

Saw it over the weekend with the family. First off the Lava short at the beginning was truly beautiful. Then the movie itself really left a great impression with me, really well written and executed. I really enjoyed it and love movies that kids can enjoy, and grown ups can enjoy at a higher understanding. One of Pixar's best movies IMO, I wasn't expecting much from this, I went into it blind on what it even was, thought I was in for a dumb kids cartoon fart jokes etc.. came out of it happy my kid asked me to go.

Dice//

Banned
Great movie, but I couldn't get over the basic 'blueprint' being similar to Toy Story (two characters separated from the 'main group', work out their differences in a sort of buddy-comedy way). The touches of adding the humans (and they're pretty well-developed and not basic peripheral elements) do a great job and the end message is super creative and very beautifully conveyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom