• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Pixar+creative+process+1995+present_dac74d_5590770.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Great movie. Really liked how they visualized how the mind works. Emotions tied to memories, stored into long term at sleep, core memories making up personality, deletion of useless/out dated memories, and how memories grow more complex with growth/maturity linking several emotions.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They're making Disney Infinity figurines, so just say you're getting them for the game.
This will be my ruin. Wasn't interested in that game, but now I feel like getting all of the Inside Out characters and actually playing it.

Great movie. Really liked how they visualized how the mind works. Emotions tied to memories, stored into long term at sleep, core memories making up personality, deletion of useless/out dated memories, and how memories grow more complex with growth/maturity linking several emotions.
Don't forget the funny explanation for recurring/catchy thoughts!

That song has been stuck in my head all morning.

Flo_Evans

Eh I didn't like it.

Kid didn't really either. He is only 4 so I don't think he really understood it, usually Pixar movies have something for everyone but nothing here.

mreddie

I should deduct a point just for this song.

I liked it,
Bing Bong's sacrifice
was really hard to me but makes sense since
it means Riley is pretty much growing up.

Black, Kaling and Smith are pretty spot on with their roles and Poeher is at her best here. Didn't care for Fear outside
him watching the Dream channel.

I'll address more but I'm gonna see another movie in a bit and will explain more.

5/5 Lewis Blacks.

Flo_Evans

I think the biggest problem for me was the
missing core memories
device to get joy and sadness out of the control room. I get they needed some reason to explore her mind, and they had to give these characters something to do besides argue in the control room but I feel like it really didn't have anything to do with what was happening in reality.

I would much rather have seen for example her creative side explored when she was solving a problem. Instead they just kind of have to go there because it's in the way.

Toothless

Just rewatched it.
Bing Bong's death is the rare moment that made me cry on a second watch.
Still great.

Oh, and I still love Lava and find it super charming and sweet.

Brakke

Banned
Lava is so weirdly dissonant with Inside Out it's a crazy pairing. The moral of Lava is "just be chipper and happy all your life and it'll work out!" and the moral of Inside Out is exactly not that.

mreddie

I don't know why, I didn't like Lava, the song got annoying to me quick.

Joy's realization while in the memory dump is really crushing and I think the most effective emotional moment next to Bing Bong's sacrifice. Also enjoyed getting to other peoples thoughts, reminded me of Psychonauts for a bit.

The movie really hits close to home after breaking up with the person you saw it with.

Especially the part about the memories of Joy being changed by Sadness.

EulaCapra

Welp.... I fucking cried in the theaters. The feels... they were exactly sadness and joy.

I don't want to rank the Pixar movies, but it's definitely in the highest tier for me.

legend166

I don't know why, I didn't like Lava, the song got annoying to me quick.

Joy's realization while in the memory dump is really crushing and I think the most effective emotional moment next to Bing Bong's sacrifice. Also enjoyed getting to other peoples thoughts, reminded me of Psychonauts for a bit.

The whole movie gave me a Psychonauts vibe.

Choomp

Banned
I liked it,
Bing Bong's sacrifice
was really hard to me but makes sense since
it means Riley is pretty much growing up

That's what made it so sad to me, she was growing up and all the foundations of her life up to that point had been crumbling. Also the way it happened physically was really heartbreaking too.

Monocle

Great movie. A really nice nuanced handling of the whole theme of emotions, memory, and the workings of the mind. Especially depression and childhood nostalgia. (And formative experiences too. And abstract thought. It did a lot of things really well!) I liked how it subverted the cliche that happiness trumps everything. Inside Out is a better, truer film for its critique of simplistic optimism. Very well done.

Lava bothered me because I didn't like the musical style and the volcano guy looked like a weird old man. Nice visuals otherwise, and good story concept.

I want to see this movie, and I have yet to take my children to the movies. So, this would be a first movie for both of my boys at the theater. Any more impressions for a 4 and 3 year old?

jet1911

I want to see this movie, and I have yet to take my children to the movies. So, this would be a first movie for both of my boys at the theater. Any more impressions for a 4 and 3 year old?

My 3 y.o. daughter loved it. Mainly because there's a train somewhere in the movie.

Kangi

Lava would've been a lot more bearable were it not for that obnoxious love/lava play-on-words. "I lava you", eeurgh.

Not much to say about the movie that hasn't already been said. Everything works on so many levels, and even the simplest of scenes have complex implications.
The moral of there being more to life than being happy is done very well. The weight of the moment when Joy realizes it took Riley being sad to be happy, the "climax" where Sadness uses the now-sad memories and Riley breaks down crying... how the memories needed to be sad, because they were memories of things she felt she had ripped away from her. All of it just hit so hard and rang so true. It's framed so well from the beinning, too; you're led to believe Joy is only doing good and Sadness needlessly messes up and corrupts things.

Definitely a return-to-form for Pixar. Now keep it up with The Good Dinosaur.

Any plans to see the movie?

Already saw it. I posted upthread with a story from my viewing.

anyway, "What if Dogs had feelings" is maybe the stupidest description of "Up" I've ever seen, narrowly beating out "What if Scotland had feelings," for Brave. Because prior to that movie, nobody knew whether the people of Scotland were emotional types.

"Man," said Jeff Pixar, CEO of Cartoons at DisneyCo, "what if we made a movie where Scottish people felt things?"
"That's a pretty bold call, Senor Pixar" said Rod Weevil, a Junior VP. "Will people be able to accept such an outlandish concept? I mean, we almost lost everything when we made the movie about a rat teaching himself how to cook."
"What? We made a movie about cooking?"
"Yes, and criticism, and art, and being more than what you're told you can b--"
"I don't remember this at all"
"Yes sir. We almost called it 'What if rats had feelings', remember?"
"Ah yes. Genius idea. It's almost as if having people feel things in a movie is a core element of storytelling or something."
"Almost, sir."

Ferrio

Banned
After some time to reflect, I think this is my favorite Pixar movie. It just does so many clever things with the storytelling and doesn't come off as feeling forced while delivering a emotional message.

Drago

After some time to reflect, I think this is my favorite Pixar movie. It just does so many clever things with the storytelling and doesn't come off as feeling forced while delivering a emotional message.
I think I feel the same. I saw it a week ago and it has really stuck with me, I'm still thinking about the movie even a week later, something that rarely happens for me. Maybe that's just me overthinking everything though, heh. I can't say for sure if I prefer it to Ratatouille or even The Incredibles, it still needs to sit some more, but I think it may have. Just a wonderful and incredibly strong movie all around.

Gonna go see it again tonight. Can't wait!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think the biggest problem for me was the
missing core memories
device to get joy and sadness out of the control room. I get they needed some reason to explore her mind, and they had to give these characters something to do besides argue in the control room but I feel like it really didn't have anything to do with what was happening in reality.

I would much rather have seen for example her creative side explored when she was solving a problem. Instead they just kind of have to go there because it's in the way.
I believe it represents
Riley repressing all her most treasured memories of her past life, in order to avoid feeling sad due to the things she lost. By doing that, she hopes she will continue being happy as before. But she can't. She doesn't like it here, far away from home, from her old friends and school, from her hockey team. Even her dad is very busy these days. Try as hard as she can, she can't feel joy. And she doesn't allow herself to show sadness either. The movie portrays this as the characters Joy and Sadness getting lost outside Headquarters, along with the core memories that Riley is trying to forget, in her futile attempt to push her feelings aside and pretend everything is fine.

The movie really hits close to home after breaking up with the person you saw it with.

Especially the part about the memories of Joy being changed by Sadness.
Sorry to hear that :(

You know, I actually thought about this the other day. That is completely true, there are memories that I feel different about nowadays than I did back when they happened. Your example is a good one, though a pretty sad one.

I think I feel the same. I saw it a week ago and it has really stuck with me, I'm still thinking about the movie even a week later, something that rarely happens for me. Maybe that's just me overthinking everything though, heh. I can't say for sure if I prefer it to Ratatouille or even The Incredibles, it still needs to sit some more, but I think it may have. Just a wonderful and incredibly strong movie all around.

Gonna go see it again tonight. Can't wait!
Same here! Saw it last Saturday, and I'll hopefully go again this Sunday (this time in English). It's really deep and smart, and there's a lot to think about and discuss. This thread has been great, enjoyed reading the opinions and theories here a lot!

Plus the soundtrack is fantastic. Feel like getting the CD if I can find it.

Guys don't invite Bobby Roberts to your parties he's not very great at them.

I agree with him that the meme is stupid though.

Every movie has characters, and every character has emotions. Therefore you'll see emotions at display in every movie ever. So to imply it is a "tired shtick" from Pixar is pretty stupid.

Brakke

Banned
who implied that it's a tired shtick

all those movies are good and beloved

it's simply not true that every movie has feelings; lots of them don't and that's why they suck.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with him that the meme is stupid though.

Every movie has characters, and every character has emotions. Therefore you'll see emotions at display in every movie ever. So to imply it is a "tired shtick" from Pixar is pretty stupid.
Yep, you can't make anthropomorphic characters if you don't give them emotions. Or, more accurately, you can't make good characters.

Astarte

It was alright. 6/10 from me. It played out like those cartoon episodes where characters have feelings that have the ability to think and control the character.

Iceternal

I'm with you. I thought this movie was one of Pixar's most milquetoast efforts. It compares unfavorably to most of their other movies.

It felt like the personification of emotions within the mind was not fully realized or even all that internally consistent. It was a half-baked concept in my humble opinion.

I think my biggest issue was the lack of agency of Riley as a character. Plus, there appeared to be only a surface level exploration of the movie's overall premise.

I felt like some emotional scenes felt really forced. Like they were saying "ok guys, time to cry now'.

Except for the imaginary friend, this one got me SO HARD. I was like "Don't make me cry motherfuckers !!!"

But I almost fell asleep during the middle of the movie. I was really bored.

An issue I have with this movie is that I can't identify with most of it.

I'm a guy, I never moved, I never played with my parents, I never had longtime friends, I never played sports... It just didn't pull any strings.

Unlike Toy Story 3 when Andy gives his toy to this little girl and moves on, that really destroyed me !

But not this time, and the characters talked too much and too fast as well, it was a little grating.

MC Safety

I thought it was way too involved with its own lore. I wanted more about the girl and her emotions, and not so much about every nuance of the inner working of her mind/thought processes/emotional development.

It has a good shot at a token "not Oscar bait" nomination, just like Mad Max. Not a chance of winning.
If there is any justice in the world, both will get nominated for Best Picture
and then Inside Out will win* :p

*Unless another mind-bogglingly amazing movie comes out between now and then and changes my mind, of course

There's only one thing I don't understand: What's the justification for the imagination's ability to
multiply
Imaginary Boyfriend?

That just seems like a weird function that would only ever be useful in the one totally random situation where it was utilized. Unless Riley
dreams of having a clone harem

ZoddGutts

Legit teared up during one scene. Knew exactly what was going to happen and it still got me.

That was the only real emotional scene in the movie for me, didn't really care for the girl's problem in missing her old home, her emotional scenes felt a bit forced. Still a good directed movie, 8/10.

Sevarus

Just saw it for the first time today. Mom, my sister, and I were all crying almost constantly throughout, even during that silly volcano short at the beginning. Especially poignant because we moved to a different town when I was about Riley's age, so that was just constantly hitting me in the feels. Happy childhood memories shown? Tears. Every time another
island
crumbled, more tears. I honestly feel emotionally drained, even hours after it's over. Like I just need to take a nap and reset myself or something. I loved the movie, but wow... it took me for an emotional ride, which I guess is the point.

Ominym

Banned
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it a lot. Although I will admit it did hit a bit too close to home (unfairly) because I'm a midwesterner who just made the move to California.

Thought that it was a nice touch at the end with
the command console getting bigger now that she's growing up, as with that emotions get more complex and less binary. Totally didn't even think about it when you see inside the parent's heads and they all have full team consoles as opposed to (at the time) Riley's one.

devonodev

Saw this movie earlier in the week knowing nothing about it, and I loved it. Way sadder than I was expecting, but that just makes it even better. One of Pixar's best.

And I liked the lava song, except I'm ashamed to say I spent the whole song confused wondering if he was saying love with an accent to fit the song, or lover, until the 2nd last line I went "Ohhhhhhhh LAVA I GET IT".

SND

Banned
Anyone else notice that the parents, classmates, and hell probably the dog all had the same sex feelings in their heads (Dad's were all dudes, Mom's were all ladies) except for Riley who had a mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom