• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Just got back, beautiful movie. I loved everything about it, definitely Pixar's best output since Ratatouille in my eyes.

I tried holding back tears and was successful until the credits hit. Dunno what triggered it but I was a sobbing mess :(
Bing Bong ;_;

cajunator

Banned
I think this might be the best Pixar film they have done. I am absolutely in love with it.
Such a clever idea. This is what Pixar has been missing the past few years.

Prologue

I was really expecting some feels from this movie but only found one or two sappy parts. Maybe I read too much into GAF this time around.

I really enjoyed it though and I wouldn't mind another movie with Riley during her teenage years and even her adult years. I would have loved a bit more head play from her parents though. It was interesting seeing how other personalities play together in their own worlds.

Crazyorloco

This movie man. This freaking movie. I saw it yesterday and it's been in my head since. Those that like clinical mental health Counseling/Psych/Clinical social work will really love this. I couldn't wait to tell the therapists I work with about this movie.

I teared up a few times, I looked to my left and saw my girlfriend bawling her eyes out.

cajunator

Banned
For me it was Joy looking back at the core memory of the hockey game, watching it go from sad to happy. That emotional shift on one singular event just really hit home for me, especially when you think about the implications it raises in regards to growing up and looking back on your childhood.

edit - also watching Joy cry is just too fucking much for me to handle

What I really appreciated towards the end was
how Riley's new memories became more complex mixed emotions as she got older instead of one static emotion. It showed her brain becoming more complex as she ages. Also indicated that the emotion characters grew along with her and learned how to cooperate.

Slacker

Did the haunted mansion music play at one point in the movie or am I crazy?

Yep:
In the scene where Riley's dream about her new house turns into a nightmare, the music playing in the background is from the Disneyland attraction, The Haunted Mansion. (from imdb)

Saw this with my girlfriend on Monday, we both thought it was fantastic. It's one of my favorite Pixar movies now. Such a specific subject done with charm and care. Almost cried at
Bing Bong :(

What a spectacular film. It really does make you feel sad about change in life but ultimately happy in the end. That being said
the imaginary friend had the biggest death flag in history yet still made me feel bad seeing him disappear.
. The one joke however, that made me lose my composure had to be
Cloudtown
. I'd definitely rank this among Pixar's best.

Also Lava was really sweet.

Dalek

Was she stoked at the name of the protagonist?

She has been for some time now-since she first saw the trailer. She's also blonde and we live in the San Francisco Bay Area. She's only 7 though-so she's younger than the movie protagonist.

And yes-Lava was amazing. Very sweet, and wonderful music. I have that song in my head.

She has been for some time now-since she first saw the trailer. She's also blonde and we live in the San Francisco Bay Area. She's only 7 though-so she's younger than the movie protagonist.

And yes-Lava was amazing. Very sweet, and wonderful music. I have that song in my head.

Sign her up for hockey.

Daedardus

A serious return to form for Pixar, I loved this one sooo much! I like how it was excellent at triggering all my own emotions. Thought it was going to be too short at first (like Brave was), but I think it's all for the better. Rather have an intense and closely packed short movie than a thinly spun overly long plot. Really one of my favorite Pixar movies!

I enjoyed the film in that the story is good, the voice acting is exceptional etc but I'm tired of the Pixar formula at this point where about 3/4 of the way through the film tears your heart out and puts on the "feels". Every Pixar movie is designed in such a surgical way as to make you almost tear up or even downright cry at parts. I used to like Pixar but I'm seriously tired of this formula.

I get that people enjoy that emotional investment but Pixar efforts like The Incredibles and Bugs Life didn't rely on it and were great films.

Let's talk about Bing Bong. I loved him. And then
He dies in a black pit of forgotten memories and disappears.

Not to mention
The girl returning home and then it's ok to be sad and lets all cry together. Yeah I teared up, I'm human ya know.

I'm done with the crying Pixar. It's getting old. Pardon me while I go watch Terminator Genysis.

I absolutely loved it. The more i think about it (and reading your posts guys) the more i realize how deep was and the importance of the events and characters.

I lost it when i saw
Joy and disgust with moustaches on the dad's control center
the
dog in the dream, the "boyfriend" interaction
and well, a lot more scenes. Comically it was amazing too.

And anger is the best character, lol.

Intelligent, funny, interesting, colorful. Great work by pixar.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I liked the movie a lot, but I didn't find it as heartbreaking as most people have been calling it. Still, pretty good.

My only complaint is that the storyboarding is very bad in various portions of the movie, particularly during the HQ sequences. There's tons of cuts where the characters are lined up in a flat line with nothing interesting going on, which makes it very reminiscent of Hannah Barbera cartoons now that I think about it. Those set pieces looked cheap as hell.

Oddduck

Wonderful movie.

I knew this movie was going to be good when I heard Pete Doctor was attached to it.

Michael Giacchino's soundtrack was outstanding too.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The best scene in the movie by far is when Joy and Sadness
Tripledent Gum, it makes you smile!

LOL

I really liked this movie. If only I didn't feel like peeing during 3/4s of it. :/

I enjoyed the film in that the story is good, the voice acting is exceptional etc but I'm tired of the Pixar formula at this point where about 3/4 of the way through the film tears your heart out and puts on the "feels". Every Pixar movie is designed in such a surgical way as to make you almost tear up or even downright cry at parts. I used to like Pixar but I'm seriously tired of this formula.

Honestly it sounds like you're annoyed that the movies are good and that they move you, lol. Most movies make some kind of emotional appeal, the fact that they do make you tear up and cry just shows that they're really good at what they do. Can't tell you how many times I've been unaffected by a scene that was meant to "tear your heart out".

P1000640.jpg

Watched the movie last weekend. Loved how beautiful it was, and how cleverly it was telling its story. Didn't well up or anything up until a very specific part.

Yes, it was Bing-Bong. But it wasn't just Bing-Bong. So they're in the wagon, and they're on their 3rd attempt, and Bing-Bong turns around and his arm is gone, and the realization sets in that he's going to cease existing down there. And this little boy, one row in front of me, couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, pushes back into his seat. He recoils at the understanding of what's about to happen. And he gingerly climbs down from the chair, and quietly makes his way past his sister's seat, to crawl into his mother's lap, and he shoves his head into her shoulder, but makes sure to keep one eye on the screen. He's crying, but he's fighting it, and then Bing Bong politely requests that Joy get Riley to the moon, And that's when I broke.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally saw the movie today (in 3D and Latin American Spanish dub), after being incredibly hyped for several months. It's amazingly incredible, ranking up with Pixar's best. It has a perfect mix of emotional scenes and silly/funny moments, creating a movie that's smart and yet entertaining from beginning to end.

The characters are fantastic, they captured each emotion perfectly. The story is great too, and I may or may not have shed a tear or two (or three) during some parts. The only thing I can criticize about the movie is that a couple of scenes were a bit long (like
Joy telling Sadness to be more positive, she gave too many examples when the idea was already understood from the beginning
, or
Joy trying to climb from the pit of oblivion and then flying in the rocket
), but I enjoyed them anyway since they were done so well, and I don't consider them boring or anything. Oh, and I was sad not to hear the song "More than a feeling" at any point, because it was featured in the second trailer.

I really liked the short before the movie, thought it was different from everything else I'd seen from Pixar (though I haven't seen Brave, Up or WALL-E, and didn't see the beginning of Ratatouille).

It was virtualIy perfect. Now I want to see it again.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Chute, I'm being careful reading some of the posts in this thread as I haven't seen this yet, but it seems unanimous that Inside Out is amazing? Like "best of Pixar" Wall-E/Finding Nemo/The Incredibles level amazing? O_O

I won't get to see this in theaters since nobody I know likes animated films sadly, but is this worth a blind-buy on blu-ray then when it comes out? Their last 3 films (Cars 2, Brave, Monster's U) were a sharp decline in quality so I honestly wasn't expecting much out of Inside Out as I assumed Pixar's golden years were behind them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Chute, I'm being careful reading some of the posts in this thread as I haven't seen this yet, but it seems unanimous that Inside Out is amazing? Like "best of Pixar" Wall-E/Finding Nemo/The Incredibles level amazing? O_O

I won't get to see this in theaters since nobody I know likes animated films sadly, but is this worth a blind-buy on blu-ray then when it comes out? Their last 3 films (Cars 2, Brave, Monster's U) were a sharp decline in quality so I honestly wasn't expecting much out of Inside Out as I assumed Pixar's golden years were behind them.
Didn't see WALL-E yet, but it's MUCH better than The Incredibles and (at least) as good as Finding Nemo, if not better. I'd love to see it again at the cinema, and that's something I only did once in my life (The Dictator, saw it twice and it was worth it).

So yes, I totally recommend it. It's more "emotional" Pixar than "funny" Pixar, but it has enough of the latter to still have that familiar charm and feel. Amazing movie all-around.

Saw it, really enjoyed it. My favorite part was actually this (and I'm adding the spoiler tags):

Was really bummed by how much talking there was. Contrast that scene with Joys skating scene and its not like they dont know how :(

Not sure why I enjoyed that scene so much, but it was really poignant.

Oh and Lava was cool but weird. It's the type of thing that would've given me nightmares as a kid.

Platy

Was almost crying the entire last half, so powerfull

Also, my theory that she is AT LEAST genderqueer that I had from the trailer thread is only stronger now.
She is the only character which the emotions didn't had a singular design in them like the character, like how all the clown's emotions are also clowns and the boy had all male emotions with his hair.... also the only one with diferent gendered emotions. But considering that the puberty alarm was JUST a light, maybe she will have multiple personality disorder or something like that ?

See what happens when you ignore consistency in your character design ?
This is bikini armor all over again =P

Also, the brazilian portuguese DESTROYED some of the jokes of the movie, like "train of thought" ... it hit me like "HOW they missed that joke on the translation?" and how they simply gave up translating "i lava you" =P

Watched the movie last weekend. Loved how beautiful it was, and how cleverly it was telling its story. Didn't well up or anything up until a very specific part.

Yes, it was Bing-Bong. But it wasn't just Bing-Bong. So they're in the wagon, and they're on their 3rd attempt, and Bing-Bong turns around and his arm is gone, and the realization sets in that he's going to cease existing down there. And this little boy, one row in front of me, couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, pushes back into his seat. He recoils at the understanding of what's about to happen. And he gingerly climbs down from the chair, and quietly makes his way past his sister's seat, to crawl into his mother's lap, and he shoves his head into her shoulder, but makes sure to keep one eye on the screen. He's crying, but he's fighting it, and then Bing Bong politely requests that Joy get Riley to the moon, And that's when I broke.

gawwwwwd.

Saw the movie and if was wonderful.

Eyes what are you doing, stahp leaking D:

Edit:

Also, the brazilian portuguese DESTROYED some of the jokes of the movie, like "train of thought" ... it hit me like "HOW they missed that joke on the translation?" and how they simply gave up translating "i lava you" =P

Yeah i wish Disney's animated films had the option for subbed here. The dub for this movie wasnt very good. I mean, watching that dinner scene on youtube and the voice actors are just so much better. Oh well.

Was almost crying the entire last half, so powerfull

Also, my theory that she is AT LEAST genderqueer that I had from the trailer thread is only stronger now.
She is the only character which the emotions didn't had a singular design in them like the character, like how all the clown's emotions are also clowns and the boy had all male emotions with his hair.... also the only one with diferent gendered emotions. But considering that the puberty alarm was JUST a light, maybe she will have multiple personality disorder or something like that ?

See what happens when you ignore consistency in your character design ?
This is bikini armor all over again =P

Hmm, no. You're cherry picking evidence and ignoring how prevalent the boyfriend was in her mind.

I think what it comes down to is Pixar not being ballsy enough to have essentially the whole cast be female voices. You can handwave it as Riley not going through puberty yet or something like that. You gotta have "male" emotions that the boys in the audience can relate to and so the toys will sell more.

Platy

Hmm, no. You're cherry picking evidence and ignoring how prevalent the boyfriend was in her mind.

I think what it comes down to is Pixar not being ballsy enough to have essentially the whole cast be female voices. You can handwave it as Riley not going through puberty yet or something like that. You gotta have "male" emotions that the boys in the audience can relate to and so the toys will sell more.

The boyfriend only means that she is atracted to boys, not if she has multiple personality disorder or is genderqueer.

Both the popular girl and the boy that goes "omfg a girl" had BOTH same sex emotions AND had "same visual characteristic" emotions (the hair in both cases).

And yes, I understand perfectly why they made the emotions so distinct and such, but I love to see the problem this created for the other ideas of emotions they had for the other characters xD
Like I said, it is like the bikini armor in a choice that is made by the dudes in suit that completly destroys the logic and consistency of character design

Was good, but I liked you story 3 and wall e more. This was surprisingly heady though. Certain concepts weren't pushed enough IMHO, and most of the movie it felt like they weren't getting anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom