• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, does anyone here remember Drop Dead Fred?
I only remember one thing about that movie.

3hAPyfC.jpg

Originally, we had created a whole village of imaginary friends. We had another character, Mrs. Scribbles, a crayon drawing on the wall, a stick figure. And she hangs out with Corner Sun. Corner Sun is like when a kid draws on a pad of paper, and there’s always a quarter sun in the corner with rays coming out. Corner Sun is not actually a full circle. It’s a just like a pie slice that comes out of the corner and talks. It was a lot of fun, but we were having so much fun that we realized it detracted from the story. So the village of imaginary friends got whittled down to just one: Bing Bong.

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT :(

I really loved this, and the more I think about it, the more I love it.

It's early, but by next year I might consider this their best movie. We'll see how it stands up.

Tripledent Gum,
it'll make you smile!
Tripledent Gum,
it lasts a while!
Tripledent Gum,
it'll help 'ya mister,
to punch bad breath right in the kisser!
Tripledent Gum!

I saw this on Saturday and loved it. I would definitely put it in Top Tier Pixar territory. So many things hit me in this movie and I really enjoyed all of the emotions and what they each brought to Riley's personality.
Bing Bong's sacrifice
near the end chocked me up a bit. I knew it was coming but that's what I liked about it. I loved how the jingle for the gum commercial would keep being sent up. Like that song you can't get out of your head. Made me crack up.

Tadale

I really loved the movie - best Pixar film since Toy Story 3 and probably my favorite along with Ratatouille.

I especially enjoyed the small details, like how the console in headquarters got more complicated as Riley got older, beginning with just one button when she was an infant. Also how the whole depression plot of the movie began when she tried to repress a sad, important memory. I really appreciated the entire concept of the emotions, but I think the islands of personality were even more creative - important memories create the foundations of your personality; it's a great, simple way to visualize development.

Nafai1123

Banned
This was probably my favorite Pixar film since Wall-E. My god the feels were strong and the story is surprisingly adult centric. There's so much in there that I don't think kids will understand. The loss of innocence and rediscovery of self-identity is both heartbreaking and uplifting. I'm not sure I disliked any character in it, as they all have their place in the psyche of a person which is kind of the entire message of the film.

If I had one complaint, it's that they could have done more centered around Riley's handling of the outside world versus the action adventure journey that was going on inside her mind, but I think that would have made it skew even more adult.

Definitely in my top 5 for Pixar movies.

Loved the mom/dad versions of headquarters, I know it would've probably detracted from the story's focus on Riley, but I definitely wouldn't have minded a few more of them. Oh and the headquarters from the credits were superb as well.

Teared up once, but man if I had watched it by myself in my room, ho boy, that would've been a doozy.

Made for an interesting date

HUELEN10

Okay, I couldn't help myself. I tweaked it a bit, so this Inside Out ringtone I cooked up should sound amazing on just about every modern phone.

M4R (iPhone) and AAC (everything else), I think y'all know what it is...

Saw this today and fucking loved it.
There was unexplained ocular moisture during Lava and at the moments of sheer joy in this movie.

Those in-head gags at the end were just brilliant, eclipsing 22 Jump Streets.

Just got back from seeing this, and I thought it was spectacular! Pixar knocked it out of the park.
It's definitely up there with some of their best work!
I absolutely adore how well the psychological concepts were tied in with the plot and storytelling; Pixar was really letting their creative energy flow with this one, and that's honestly saying a lot when it comes to this studio.

Edit:
Who's your friend who likes to play?

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

His rocket makes you want to yell hooray

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

Who's the best at every way, and wants to sing this song to say?

Take her to the moon for me, okay?

:<

I honestly didn't know what to expect from that character at first, I trust Pixar enough to assume that they wouldn't create a generic comic relief character who'd turn into a burden but I didn't expect the character and his arc to be so well-crafted. Poor Bing Bong...everything that occurred within that Pit was channeling Sadness-realness.

I kept expecting the film to take cheap outs like
having the parents divorce or have Bing Bong serve the villain role by sabotaging Joy and Sadness from returning to HQ so friendless Riley would welcome him back into her life
but the film resisted doing this at every opportunity.

Instead we get a film about
emotional growth and maturity where Riley's emotions become more complex and recognise that human interactions are shaped by more than mere one-dimensional black and white responses. I equate the destruction of the various islands (Goofball, Friendship, Hockey, Honesty, etc.) as Riley losing her emotional baby teeth.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the creativity that was put into this film's conflict and resolution; the sophistication on display was great.

Tenck

The
Bing Bong
part got to me so hard.

Some dude probably twice my age besides me got hit hard too. Heard him sniff a bit.

I loved the movie so much. My sister and cousin both wanted to see Jurassic World, but I really wanted to watch this one more. Good thing we watched it.

The
Bing Bong
part got to me so hard.

Some dude probably twice my age besides me got hit hard too. Heard him sniff a bit.

I loved the movie so much. My sister and cousin both wanted to see Jurassic World, but I really wanted to watch this one more. Good thing we watched it.

It was just my allergies!
-cries-

Magwik

Banned
Who's your friend who likes to play?

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

His rocket makes you want to yell hooray

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

Who's the best at every way, and wants to sing this song to say?

Take her to the moon for me, okay?
D:

Akahige

I watched this yesterday, I thought my opinion would change after sitting on it for a day but nope I didn't like it much.

The music was fantastic and the key emotional moments hit me hard but the way the story developed just didn't click with me, I just didn't find the Joy and Sadness' journey to be be all that interesting.

Lava was cute, if cheesy. I enjoyed it.

Inside Out was fantastic, though. Easily one of my favorite Pixar films. I didn't cry like I thought I would, though I did tear up a bit at the predicted parts. :p

Choomp

Banned
I loved this movie, top 5 maybe top 3 Pixar movies for m. Great humor, brilliant concept, great, extensive world building that let out the child in my mind to fill in the blanks and really get me interested in Riley's mind and how everything worked.
Also I think it's worth noting this is one of the first movies I've been in where I could here the majority of the theater crying simultaneously. I mean dayum.

Also Lava was wonderful. Keep making those shorts.

Sami+

I cried.

Man, that was definitely top tier Pixar. Always at their best when it feels like the kids and adults are watching totally different movies.

frontovik

Banned
Regarding emotional scenes:

I adored
Bing Bong but his death scene didn't do anything for me.

I
cried at the end when Riley reunited with her parents though ...

Sami+

Regarding emotional scenes:

I adored
Bing Bong but his death scene didn't do anything for me.

I
cried at the end when Riley reunited with her parents though ...

For me it was Joy looking back at the core memory of the hockey game, watching it go from sad to happy. That emotional shift on one singular event just really hit home for me, especially when you think about the implications it raises in regards to growing up and looking back on your childhood.

edit - also watching Joy cry is just too fucking much for me to handle

Altazor

I'll say this:
"take her to the moon for me, okay?"
has immediately entrered my personal pantheon of Pixar "emotional gutpunch moments" alongside "so long, partner" in Toy Story 3, "thanks for the adventure, now go have a new one!" in Up (and the fucking prologue too), "Define Dancing" in Wall-E and others I'm currently forgetting because I'm an idiot.

Choomp

Banned
THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT :(

I don't think it would have been as special as just Bing Bong was.
His whole disappearance was conceptually beautiful, heartbreaking and smart. "Take her to the moon for me" killed me. Don't think an event like that with a bunch of imaginary friends would have been as good.

Artanisix

Not sure if I've already posted in this thread, but this movie really is one of Pixar's best. It hits all the right points. Even the lava mini-movie was fantastic.

Popnbake

When I first learned about Inside Out, I was prepared for it to be another disappointing animated film from Pixar and was skeptical of the rave reviews.

However, I am greatly surprised that a movie about a girl and her emotions is something that I now consider one of Pixar's best works.

I enjoyed every minute and the way they portrayed
Sadness and Joy's journey together along with Bing Bong was amazing.

3N16MA

Banned
Really enjoyable and the best work Pixar has done in some time. My eldest niece usually has a few questions after we watch any animated film but she had a lot more after watching this. It really got her thinking.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fantastic. Weird how this movie wasn't on my radar until very recently. Saw a trailer in front of Cinderella and it looked decent enough. Well I loved it.

I'm convinced Pixar isn't happy unless half the adult audience leaves the theater crying.

Most of all, I liked the message. All the emotions have their importance.

Harusame

Overall, that was a fantastic movie. All the voice acting was top notch and the soundtrack really complimented the movie. The flow of the movie was well paced and the story was quite intriguing. The memory dump scene was definitely impactful in terms of emotion and overall feel, and it really reminded me of the firepit scene in Toy Story 3. The character development of both Joy and Sadness was great and the portrayal of the how the mind works was really interesting due to my medical/psychology background.

IndustryX

My only gripe is I wish there was more interplay between the characters minds. That was the highlight of the film for me when they explored the minds of others (Dinner Table and Credits)

I finally saw this with my girlfriend earlier today and we both loved it. I'm loved the part with
them walking through abstract thought and breaking down to more simplistic forms.
I was smiling so much through it and I can't wait to see if they release a breakdown of making that or just how the characters appeared in general. From the trailers, I just thought they were fuzzy, but actually looking closely and seeing the tiny spheres or bubbles blew my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom