• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Just came home from watching this, adored
it. Pixar is definitely not done. <3

Can't wait for all the bluray rewatches, to catch all the little things I missed.

Rated-G

I'd really like to imagine that Joy saved Bing Bong somehow as an idea, one that she plugs in every now and again as Riley grows up. In school, Riley keeps doodling the same character over an over; this pink, cotton candy, elephant-cat-dolphin. She takes up art, and excels at it, but the idea of this character keeps popping up in her head when she thinks she's hitting a block. She draws the character riding his rocket, trailing rainbows into space, and her mother sticks it on the fridge.

As Riley grows older, she feels her art has improved and is embarrassed by the drawing and her mother teases her, saying that it was her first masterpiece, that she was still proud of Riley for it. Eventually, Riley goes to art school, becomes an animator and makes a short student film about Bing Bong riding his rocket to the moon, and Joy has finally made good on her promise to Bing Bong. At home on her parents fridge, the drawing still hangs, now joined by Riley's college acceptance letter. The short gets a lot of attention and Riley finds success in the animation industry, introducing Bing Bong to kids across the world through television and movies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't help tearing up a bit during some scenes when rewatching the movie last night. It didn't hit me as hard as the first time because I knew what was going to happen, but it's still deep stuff. The English voices are fantastic, though the Latin American Spanish ones were good too.

Can't wait for the blu-ray.

mrkgoo

i really liked it. it's definitely a return to form for pixar after about 6 years of unhappiness.

the film's biggest weakness was
the real world being so superficial. i mean, i dig how they actually nailed how gross san francisco actually is in a lot of places, but taking out the emotions and just looking at the human storyline, it's a girl who moves away from home, gets pissed and decides to run away. it's been done to death and it wasn't particularly interesting or engaging. however, i say that it's okay because there's ample room for a sequel, and i think that a lot of the world building is out of the way so riley can develop more as a character.
overall though, good stuff. wonderful main theme too.

I actually think that the real world part isn't some grand adventure and something very plain and "boring" is the whole point - that we have emotions and use them to deal with very real-world plain circumstances.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Watched a double feature at a drive in with this and Jurassic World last night. It was absolute dog shit. Worst Pixar movie ever. Didn't like the characters, story, or world at all. It was miserable sitting through without an AC. Never thought I'd say this about a Pixar movie. The best parts were the cats and it ending. Sorry.

Daedardus

Watched a double feature at a drive in with this and Jurassic World last night. It was absolute dog shit. Worst Pixar movie ever. Didn't like the characters, story, or world at all. It was miserable sitting through without an AC. Never thought I'd say this about a Pixar movie. The best parts were the cats and it ending. Sorry.

Worst Pixar movie ever? Have you ever watched Cars, Cars 2 or A Bug's Life? You must be a fun guy to hang out with if you thought this one was absolute dog shit :p.

y2dvd

JW isn't from Pixar tho. ;)

Why do you say sorry at the end? Weird.

Spinluck

(Inside Out spoilers)
I'm so glad that they actually stuck to the sacrifice and didn't go back on it. It actually made it mean something and I was so happy to see them not pussy out on it (they definitely could have, Riley finding a Bing Bong drawing isn't out of the question). It was actually really refresihing. And geniunely heartbreaking.

(BH6 spoilers)
Unlike Baymax's "sacrifice" where he doesn't actually die and comes back like 5 mins later. Sacrifices like that are ultimately meaningless and make me feel nothing. Idk what it is but watching Inside Out has triggered this newfound hatred for how by the numbers and safe Big Hero 6 was lol.

Iron Giant did it better than Big Hero 6 too.

AniHawk

I actually think that the real world part isn't some grand adventure and something very plain and "boring" is the whole point - that we have emotions and use them to deal with very real-world plain circumstances.

i can appreciate that. i think i was fairly with the movie up until riley decided to steal the credit card and run away from home. that's the part that felt unambitious and overdone to me. i know that it happens in life, but i think more commonly, people just deal by themselves in other ways - act out at school, or at home, get in with the wrong crowd, etc.

camel

took my 5 year old to this yesterday, and felt the need to contribute here.

I loathed it. thought it was awful.

there is a line that seperates charming from pretentiousness.. pixar lost sight of that awhile ago.. I miss the pixar that made fun movies for kids that adults could enjoy also.. Incredibles, Monsters inc, toy story 2, Cars, finding nemo.

this new pixar blows.

it wasn't just depressing and boring, though it WAS both those things.. it was also idiotic,
the whole islands, and colored memories, the imaginary friend.
. the whole thing they were trying to do there.. was just so ... stupid.

I know I'm in the minority.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The hype really let me down on this one. Multiple friends were claiming to have left their seats bawling, and that just seems bizarre to me.

All the brain mechanics were ingenious and well-thought, but the overarching conflict didn't do anything for me, and in the end the world wasn't as interesting as it seemed to be.
Besides, any impact Bing Bong's death could've had was basically ruined by how fucking telegraphed it was.

It was a fun popcorn flick at most. Not even close to being one of Pixar's best works. I don't see myself ever watching it again, which is kinda off for a Pixar film.

JW isn't from Pixar tho. ;)
I lol'd

Watching JW after IO sounds like the most uneven double feature ever. It's like having the driest McDonald's cheeseburber right after experiencing the glory that is the Double Double animal style from In-n-Out (I imagine JW was the "main attraction").

there is a line that seperates charming from pretentiousness.. pixar lost sight of that awhile ago.. I miss the pixar that made fun movies for kids that adults could enjoy also.. Incredibles, Monsters inc, toy story 2, Cars, finding nemo.

this new pixar blows.

it wasn't just depressing and boring, though it WAS both those things.. it was also idiotic,

Cars is bullshit. At least this has some content and tries to go deeper... Cars? KACHOW KACHOW for 2 hours.

This page is depressing. This movie is pure fucking magic. Musing of how the mechanics of this movie can apply to emotions and times within my life and friends has been great.

They made an amazingly deep psychological movie and broke it down for children. If you child if even one child comes to their parents and says they thinks their joy got lost, it was all worth it. Mental illiness and emotion in america and other countries is so woefully pent-up it is doing damage across all spectrums of life.

I need to see this again.

I can't say I especially liked this movie. It felt empty. There weren't a lot of deep exploration about feelings, but then I have to tell myself that it has to appeal to young audience. She felt sad, then fell depressed but didn't really address it. (I feel like the depression kind of theme was better handled by Frozen, per the song "Do You Want To Build A Snowman".) Sadness is sad. Moving on.

Did you miss half the movie? Because your opinions are based on something that is factually not true.

this new pixar blows.

I'm interested in understanding your opinion - could you elaborate? I ask because what you've said so far is:

The whole thing is pretentious, idiotic, stupid -- but you don't really say why you felt this way.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really surprised with all the hate for this. Originally I did think the movie looked really stupid, but I came out loving it! I feel like it's Pixar's comeback movie. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought it was great! Not enough to cry, but there were some girls sitting behind me that made me feel like I was watching Titanic
and not the impending 'death' of an imaginary friend, which I figured was going to happen anyhow
. I thought it was a great outlook on things that Pixar did, and it really felt like they are back to their old selves again. Really looking forward to The Good Dinosaur... it's going to have Last Guardian syndrome, isn't it? That dino gunna die >_>

I saw this last Thursday.The more I think about it, the more I like it. Definitely my favorite Pixar movie in a long time. Still letting the dust settle before I rank it, but I think it has cracked my top 5 somewhere.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Cars is bullshit. At least this has some content and tries to go deeper... Cars? KACHOW KACHOW for 2 hours.
C'mon now, you're being unfair. Inside Out is Pixar at its best, but that doesn't mean Cars is bad. It's still a pretty fun movie!

The sequel is totally shallow and rather dumb, but it's enjoyable too.

BamfMeat

this new pixar blows.

It made you have feels, didn't it. You can admit it, the feels were real.

That's OK, I had feels too. I didn't like it specifically because I have feels and feels and I don't get along.

Amir0x

Banned

Cars has however one of the most brilliant moments of any Pixar movie, an amazingly nostalgic sequence immortalizing a past America where people slowed down to appreciate the small things more often. A touching reminder that progress has real downsides, like destroying communities.

Our Town

The movie overall was very uneven, but I'm glad it exists for this purpose.

Inside Out is a good movie though, definitely better and more even than Cars.

maxcriden

I lol'd

Watching JW after IO sounds like the most uneven double feature ever. It's like having the driest McDonald's cheeseburber right after experiencing the glory that is the Double Double animal style from In-n-Out (I imagine JW was the "main attraction").

Fwiw the main attraction if it's at a drive in usually plays first. With that said, if this was at a drive in, inside out probably played first because it's a family film and second features usually are too late at night for such movies, especially when it's a recent release and paired with a non-family film.

I'm really surprised with all the hate for this. Originally I did think the movie looked really stupid, but I came out loving it! I feel like it's Pixar's comeback movie. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought it was great! Not enough to cry, but there were some girls sitting behind me that made me feel like I was watching Titanic
and not the impending 'death' of an imaginary friend, which I figured was going to happen anyhow
. I thought it was a great outlook on things that Pixar did, and it really felt like they are back to their old selves again. Really looking forward to The Good Dinosaur... it's going to have Last Guardian syndrome, isn't it? That dino gunna die >_>

GAF hates most things. If you stay here too long you'll become super cynical. I thought it was great, a super clever and well executed metaphor for what goes on in the brain and a good message at the end.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Definitely my favorite Pixar movie in a long time.
Definitely. It's also one of those movies that get better after every rewatch. It's so densely packed with goodies and tiny little details it's almost impossible to catch them all the first time.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
GAF hates most things. If you stay here too long you'll become super cynical. I thought it was great, a super clever and well executed metaphor for what goes on in the brain and a good message at the end.

That I have come to recognize :p I knew the Jurassic World threads would be a poop show, and a whole topic was even made cause some guy didn't like it. Not everyone has to like everything, but many hate posts on any movie here have a lot of irrational reasoning. Instead of saying "I didn't like this because this and this" ok sure, but "OMG that wuz dum and so bad!" do seem to pop up quite often...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That I have come to recognize :p I knew the Jurassic World threads would be a poop show, and a whole topic was even made cause some guy didn't like it. Not everyone has to like everything, but many hate posts on any movie here have a lot of irrational reasoning. Instead of saying "I didn't like this because this and this" ok sure, but "OMG that wuz dum and so bad!" do seem to pop up quite often...
This particular page is weird in that it has a disproportionate amount of dislike compared to the rest of the thread. Reception here has been mostly positive, rightly so. The short Lava has been more divisive, but I personally liked it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

GAF doesn't hate anything because it isn't a hivemind.

Moonkeis

I watched this yesterday morning, really great movie overall. This is the Pixar I've been missing. Being a parent of a 2 and 4 year old, it really hit me hard, it makes me think about the kind of memories I'm creating and want to create for my children.

Ferrio

Banned
I didn't like the Lava short myself. I think they just took a cute pun and ran it into the ground. I just wanted it to end after the 2nd verse.

That and the whole time I'm thinking "This is not how volcanoes work"

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like the Lava short myself. I think they just took a cute pun and ran it into the ground. I just wanted it to end after the 2nd verse.

It made complete sense to me. I've heard that in some native mythology that volcanoes "speak to one another" by erupting. Apparently there was some fear after Mt Saint Helens went that Mt Baker (another nearby volcano) may too (and well, due to science stuff and whatnot :p). So I assumed maybe they used that idea and turned it into a love story that rather thank just communicating, they were trying to find their other half.

I ignored all the science involved and had fun with the cute cartoon.

yup. always a pet peeve the "GAF ____ something" comments :p

Of course the GAF Hivemind would send a couple of drones to "chime in."

I'm on to you.

SC1OvermindPortrait_Static.jpg

Obviously, but I'm talking about ratio of people liking to disliking things. Seems to be much higher on here than other forums. (in this thread most people like the movie though, although that could change over time as the 'newness ' wears off. ) People seem to be way more critical in general. Although that could be good since it generates discussions. Its definitely much better than the echo chamber voting system that reddit has though.

Jarlaxle

I saw this movie this past week and really loved it. Best movie from Pixar in quite awhile. Probably one of my favorites.

Pachinko

I'm getting to be an old man in internet terms but it's really starting to get to me just how exhausting it's gotta be to not like good movies. I mean, for years I hear flack aimed at pixar (any pixar movie not just the ones that maybe deserve it like Cars 2) and I think - what happened in this persons life that they're such a joyless individual ?

Were they forced to grow up too fast ? animated films just not appealing ? Do they over analyze stuff that doesn't matter ? certain elements of a film bring up bad memories ?

It's just a curious thing , online hatred always seems to come across as 10 times worse than any other kind. A bunch of people go see a good movie and also enjoy it , then make some positive statements about what they liked or why they liked it and then within a week or 2 , others that were less interested in the film go watch it and like it less but for some reason feel compelled to barf up hyperbole like "worst movie ever, trash, screw the people that like this but I HATED IT " etc etc.

In some cases I can't help but feel like these people are just miserable, lonely and crave attention even if it's just the bulk of the internet telling them they're wrong or that it's a shame they don't enjoy good movies.

Maybe it just bugs me because I can tell the difference between a good film and a bad film and know that both are capable of giving me enjoyment ? I don't know , I don't know why the overwhelmingly negative attitude of some people online gets to me like it does but I'm just so sick of hearing people shouting at the top of their longs "I DON'T LIKE THING". I used to believe it was perhaps just being contrarian , like "hey everyone likes X so I have to find a reason to hate it just to stand out" but now it's as though there's something more at work here.

I'm basically just going on record to say that I don't believe you , people who bash good movies. Inside Out , in no way is the worst film of all time and really , for the record , neither is something like Cars 2. (the worst that can really be said about cars 2 is that it's a generic kids film, fails to punch above that bar at all)

You want genuine bad films ? Transformers 2, Transformers 4 are what truly terrible film making really is on every level. At least if you want something recent , expensive looking and popular. Just about anything produced by Happy Madison productions ? those are some truly awful films.

Anyway, I'm done rambling , back to your regularly scheduled 70/30 ratio of "loved it/absolute trash".

I saw this movie a while back and I liked it a lot. I didnt find it nearly as sad as many other people did though. I was expecting some kinda tearjerker but the most touching scene for me was when
Bing Bong died
. The way things were building up, I thought it would be about Riley's
parents divorcing and her having to cope with that
. Nope.
She's just moved to a new place and misses her old life, thats about it.

injurai

Banned

Loved the movie, but yeah that short was trash. First off the male looks like Muk. The Girl looks like a carved souvenir of a luau girl. For something that should have sexual dimorphism they did a terrible job with it when they decided to go that route.

The lyrics where really forced into the flow of the song. Ugh... might be my least favorite of their shorts. Wasn't even a good showing off of their new technologies.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm getting to be an old man in internet terms but it's really starting to get to me just how exhausting it's gotta be to not like good movies. I mean, for years I hear flack aimed at pixar (any pixar movie not just the ones that maybe deserve it like Cars 2) and I think - what happened in this persons life that they're such a joyless individual ?

Were they forced to grow up too fast ? animated films just not appealing ? Do they over analyze stuff that doesn't matter ? certain elements of a film bring up bad memories ?

It's just a curious thing , online hatred always seems to come across as 10 times worse than any other kind. A bunch of people go see a good movie and also enjoy it , then make some positive statements about what they liked or why they liked it and then within a week or 2 , others that were less interested in the film go watch it and like it less but for some reason feel compelled to barf up hyperbole like "worst movie ever, trash, screw the people that like this but I HATED IT " etc etc.

In some cases I can't help but feel like these people are just miserable, lonely and crave attention even if it's just the bulk of the internet telling them they're wrong or that it's a shame they don't enjoy good movies.

Maybe it just bugs me because I can tell the difference between a good film and a bad film and know that both are capable of giving me enjoyment ? I don't know , I don't know why the overwhelmingly negative attitude of some people online gets to me like it does but I'm just so sick of hearing people shouting at the top of their longs "I DON'T LIKE THING". I used to believe it was perhaps just being contrarian , like "hey everyone likes X so I have to find a reason to hate it just to stand out" but now it's as though there's something more at work here.

I'm basically just going on record to say that I don't believe you , people who bash good movies. Inside Out , in no way is the worst film of all time and really , for the record , neither is something like Cars 2. (the worst that can really be said about cars 2 is that it's a generic kids film, fails to punch above that bar at all)

You want genuine bad films ? Transformers 2, Transformers 4 are what truly terrible film making really is on every level. At least if you want something recent , expensive looking and popular. Just about anything produced by Happy Madison productions ? those are some truly awful films.

Anyway, I'm done rambling , back to your regularly scheduled 70/30 ratio of "loved it/absolute trash".

This is seriously the perfect example of how not to analyze people's perspectives. It amounts to an absurd ad hominem against critics: "you guys don't like what I like, so therefore your life must be miserable, joyless, or shitty memories of your abandonment as a child must be flashing before your eyes." This is not even a post that can be interpreted as an insult. It is an out and out attack on people for views you don't agree with. There are like fifty different things that are just unbelievable you even thought it was OK to write. You've essentially insulted a good two dozen posters in one full swoop.

I'd argue that this suggests something that is far more fundamentally wrong with a person's character that anyone's individual interpretation of how good a movie is. Because, ya know, one of these things doesn't actually matter, and the other one is a gross way to treat people merely for disagreeing with your ridiculous terms for what makes movies good.

I loved Inside Out. But I've read many, many well articulated posts in here deconstructing the movie for reasons they genuinely did not enjoy it. I can post them all for you, but judging by how disrespectful your view is of anyone who doesn't like some arbitrary piece of cinema made by your company of choice, I doubt you'd spend any actual time writing anything remotely meaningful as to the reason they might be misguided with their conclusions.

It does not mean they're joyless to not like a particular film. It does not take more than a passive understanding of the reason someone might have even seen Inside Out to realize how fucked up it is to suggest. You don't buy a movie ticket because you lack the ability to feel pleasure and happiness. You buy it with the hope the movie will be enjoyable, because you've liked many other films in the past. This one just happened not to be one that met their taste.

I mean christ your post is sick with condescension.

(Insults:

+ Miserable
+ Lonely
+ Crave Attention)

Maybe it just bugs me because I can tell the difference between a good film and a bad film and know that both are capable of giving me enjoyment ?

(a hurr durr guys because Pachinko has a monopoly on being able to properly critique films, and Inside Out is factually a good movie and if you think otherwise you have some mental failure that means you lack the skill to critique!)

(not only do you show profound intellectual dishonesty by simply refusing to believe someone's otherwise genuinely stated opinion, you prop up a straw man to try to make this point. Nobody said Inside Out was one of the worst films of all time.)

Really dude, if you are so invested in a film that it allows you to act this way, it is high time you disconnect yourself from the internet. It's clearly making you go mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom