• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I've noticed the people most affect by the film are parents with young children. I have two and it haunts me two weeks later.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If you go back and read Ami's entire rant on the last page and DON'T think "that's not even how volcanoes work!! HURRR" the entire time then you've failed a major internet test.

Steamlord

In terms of representing what it's like to be a kid, I'd probably put Inside Out just below Where the Wild Things Are. WTWTA made me feel like no other movie has. I watched it in my late teens and all these memories and feelings and sensations of exactly how it felt to be a young child came flooding back with near perfect clarity. I know opinions on it are pretty mixed, but that movie destroyed me.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've heard it put that it's not a kids' movie, it's not an adults' movie - it's a PARENTS'movie

At the end of the credits there's a message that said something along the lines of "This film is dedicated to all the children of the production crew. Please don't grow up, ever."

Astral Dog

Good, movie, overall plot was boring and too simple, but the mind parts were engaging thanks to Sadness, Joy and Fear, also great design for the mind world. meaningful message with a few emotional moments. 7/10

BamfMeat

I've noticed the people most affect by the film are parents with young children. I have two and it haunts me two weeks later.

I personally was affected by the striking way they actually made depression understandable. Right down to the only thing left you feel is either anger disgust or fear. Sadness even leaves.

Honestly, when we walked out, I told my hubsand, "It's basically like that Hyperbole And A Half depression post." It nailed that authors explanation of depression to a T. It was insanely awesome.

I did think Lava was over the top and pointless, but whatever.

y2dvd

I'm surprised by the amount of hate Lava gets. While I didn't think it was great, I thought it was cute enough. It got some lady in tears so she was feeling it haha. Inside Out had me fighting man-tears like my life depended on it so I shouldn't say much. :x

JC Sera

watched the movie, it was very good especially the core message
Sadness definitely felt like she had been written by someone who has experienced depression.

Made it jarring when fear didn't feel as genuine(?) in the writing as the other emotions.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Thought it was an ok movie...not a must watch, but not too bad, but that's how I feel about most animated films that don't have the yellow minions...those little fuckers are funny. Anyway I hate how the original trailer showed the scene where it's Riley and both her parents having dinner and they show off her parents emotions. That trailer gave me the impression that scene was going to be a lot more of her parents emotions showed as well.

Rated-G

Sadness definitely felt like she had been written by someone who has experienced depression.

Pete Doctor, the Director has suffered with depression on and off throughout his life, as he's talked about in several interviews and commentaries over his history with the studio, including during the production of this movie. In fact, as he almost quit Pixar at one point because the story wasn't meshing well (at the time it was Joy and Fear who were lost in Riley's mind. He and the rest of the story crew knew something wasn't working, and he isolated himself at home to try and figure it out.

His depression had been creeping back, and that combined with some severe anxietal stress led him to believe that even if he figured out the problem, Pixar was probably going to fire him because of all the trouble the production was having. He was contemplating leaving the studio before it could come to that.-

When he was walking around at night, thinking about getting fired from Pixar, he realised what he would missed most was his colleagues and friends there; that got him thinking about how it's all about connections with others and the purpose of sadness in bring people closer together.

-He realized his depression was getting the better of him, and that realization made him think about how necessary Sadness can be. He thought of his daughter, and how she was starting to deal with the stress and emotion that come with growing up, remembered how he was at her age, and how his depression was, and knew that the movie needed to be about Sadness and Joy.

He returned to the studio and pitched the changes to the story team, nervous, knowing it would mean some work, but they all agreed it was great and needed to happen.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Pete Doctor, the Director has suffered with depression on and off throughout his life, as he's talked about in several interviews and commentaries over his history with the studio, including during the production of this movie. In fact, as he almost quit Pixar at one point because the story wasn't meshing well (at the time it was Joy and Fear who were lost in Riley's mind. He and the rest of the story crew knew something wasn't working, and he isolated himself at home to try and figure it out.

His depression had been creeping back, and that combined with some severe anxietal stress led him to believe that even if he figured out the problem, Pixar was probably going to fire him because of all the trouble the production was having. He was contemplating leaving the studio before it could come to that before he realized his depression was getting the better of him, and that realization made him think about how necessary Sadness can be. He thought of his daughter, and how she was starting to deal with the stress and emotion that come with growing up, remembered how he was at her age, and how his depression was, and knew that the movie needed to be about Sadness and Joy.

He returned to the studio and pitched the changes to the story team, nervous, knowing it would mean some work, but they all agreed it was great and needed to happen.

This sure puts things into perspective. I figured there was a story behind the idea of this story being created. I mean, there always is, but this one definitely felt like it had a much deeper meaning.

Mistle

His depression had been creeping back, and that combined with some severe anxietal stress led him to believe that even if he figured out the problem, Pixar was probably going to fire him because of all the trouble the production was having. He was contemplating leaving the studio before it could come to that before he realized his depression was getting the better of him, and that realization made him think about how necessary Sadness can be. He thought of his daughter, and how she was starting to deal with the stress and emotion that come with growing up, remembered how he was at her age, and how his depression was, and knew that the movie needed to be about Sadness and Joy.

Where do you get this sort of info from? I'd love so follow a good Pixar/Animation blog of some sort.

Selner

A question for folks here.

My son's daycare class is going to see this movie tomorrow (Wednesday).
There is a class of 3 and 4-year olds (my son being 3.5-yrs).

It looks like a movie I would like to watch, but I'm not sure what he's going to get out of it.

In addition, this will be his first movie theater experience.

Timbuktu

Where do you get this sort of info from? I'd love so follow a good Pixar/Animation blog of some sort.

He talked about it on the Fresh Air interview. Although what he said brought about changing from fear to sadness was slightly different. When he was walking around at night, thinking about getting fired from Pixar, he realised what he would missed most was his colleagues and friends there; that got him thinking about how it's all about connections with others and the purpose of sadness in bring people closer together.

Rated-G

He talked about it on the Fresh Air interview. Although what he said brought about changing from fear to sadness was slightly different. When he was walking around at night, thinking about getting fired from Pixar, he realised what he would missed most was his colleagues and friends there; that got him thinking about how it's all about connections with others and the purpose of sadness in bring people closer together.

Yes! I knew I was leaving out something important.

As for where to get this kind of information, I read several film sites on occasion. For this movie most of the information came from the art of book for the film, sites like /film, and the Bancroft Brothers Animation Podcast.

Further information about Pete Doctor's history came from his commentary tracks on Up, Monsters Inc., and his shorts in the Pixar Short Films collections, the art of books for his films, and the book To Infinity and Beyond!: The Story of Pixar Animation Studios, by Karen Paik. ... It's possible some of it also came from The Pixar Story documentary, though I don't recall if they actually went that in depth with Pete Doctor's background.

Only somewhat related, but saw the Pixar exhibit at the Boston Science Museum this week and it was fantastic. Highly recommended if it comes to your town.

BumRush

Daaaaaaamn. Just saw it with my wife and we both loved it. Incredible incredible incredible.

We have a 1 year old daughter and it felt close to home. One of pixars best.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Man, Bing Bong
looked so much like the asshole cat and fox from Pinocchio, I was sure he was going to betray them at some point.
After
They made it through the abstract thought area
I was sold on him, though.

Astral

I loved this movie but man was it depressing to me because of how I can relate to it, especially Sadness. It was really hard to hold back the tears.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Saw it over the weekend with SO. I went in not knowing anything about this movie and had no expectations whatsoever. If anything, I had become pretty jaded about movies in general as of late. I think they're overpriced, I don't like sitting through shittons of ads before the movie show time, and then be subjected to another 15 minutes of trailers about movies I don't give a shit about before the actual movie starts. So when the movie began, I was already in a fairly sour mood.

This movie blew me away. It was every bit as good as my favorite Pixar movies. Sadness completely stole the show for me. I don't think I've enjoyed a movie this much in a long time.

Highly recommended.

Saw it again on friday with my grandmother, and kinda want to go again. She really loved it, btw!
Still, a beautiful, deep and really funny movie.

ElFly

Watched this, it's a cool little movie.

Hated the lava short tho. Hope Pixar leaves the songs to Main Disney.

The movie lives in the little touches. Riley's HQ control board being smaller than her parents stuck out at me immediately, and then they paid it off really well.

I just saw this again and noticed how Riley's control panel at birth is literally a single button. What a nice touch.

Linius

I cried at the cinema. I love this movie so much. Think this will be one of the very few films that I give a second viewing at the cinema. Can't wait for the blu-ray.

The hype really let me down on this one. Multiple friends were claiming to have left their seats bawling, and that just seems bizarre to me.

All the brain mechanics were ingenious and well-thought, but the overarching conflict didn't do anything for me, and in the end the world wasn't as interesting as it seemed to be.
Besides, any impact Bing Bong's death could've had was basically ruined by how fucking telegraphed it was.

It was a fun popcorn flick at most. Not even close to being one of Pixar's best works. I don't see myself ever watching it again, which is kinda off for a Pixar film.

I don't get why
being telegraphed would ruin Bing-Bong's ending; yeah, it was telegraphed, but to the audience, not to Joy. It was sad that he died in a basic way, but the emotions came in part because Joy was sad. We empathized with Joy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back from the cinema, after seeing it for the third time (3D and Latin American dub again, just like the first time). It was as good as before, and definitely Pixar's best along with Toy Story 3. Seeing
Joy crying
still hits me hard. And I thought I wouldn't cry this time, but during the climax, when
Riley comes back home and breaks down
, a tear that I couldn't hold inside ran down my cheek.

I can confirm it now, Inside Out still has its magic and charm intact the third time around, and at this point I'm pretty sure it'll never get old for me. This movie is a masterpiece. And the soundtrack is incredible.

Aside from how good the message, story and jokes of the movie are it has to be noted just how good the visuals were in the movie. They were insanely good looking with the highlight being
Joy skating in front of the screen with Riley

Oh and the soundtrack is whimsical and this track was easily the most heartfelt and powerful in the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHArCl_fPm0
Yes, that scene is so, SO powerful, and really tells you how much Riley's emotions love her and care for her.

And I went into your link expecting "National Movers", "The Joy of credits" or
"Joy turns to Sadness"
(the name of the song is a spoiler), but you got me good. Well played!

It made me smile.

Xun

Finally out in the UK, loved it
Same.

I'll try and write something more in-depth sometime, but I just wanted to say that
despite sadly knowing Bing Bong was going to die, I was holding back the tears.

The more I'm thinking about the film the better it gets, which is a sign of something special.

hal9001

Banned
Just saw this. Don't think it's among Pixar's best films at all. The story was kind of formulaic and very predictable. Would have been better as a short rather than a full feature film.

Wiseblade

Saw this movie today, IO sits firmly in the middle for my Pixar movie ranking. It was enjoyable, if a little telegraphed but I wish there was more time spent looking at the minds of other people since those scenes were by far the most enjoyable.

Spoiler time
The real biggest problem is that Joy is totally unlikeable and I waited the whole film for her to get called out by the other emotions. Joy is a bully and her attempts to stunt Riley's emotionalnal growth and expression go unpunished to the film's detriment.

Ferrio

Banned
Saw this movie today, IO sits firmly in the middle for my Pixar movie ranking. It was enjoyable, if a little telegraphed but I wish there was more time spent looking at the minds of other people since those scenes were by far the most enjoyable.

Spoiler time
The real biggest problem is that Joy is totally unlikeable and I waited the whole film for her to get called out by the other emotions. Joy is a bully and her attempts to stunt Riley's emotionalnal growth and expression go unpunished to the film's detriment.

Joy is Riley, anything Joy was doing was just a visual representation of what Riley was feeling at that time and how she emotionally grew. It isn't like Joy was actually holding Riley up, like some little demon controlling her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom