• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Shooter 2 |OT| - Can You Make It Past The Asteroid Belt?

Tntnnbltn

duckroll said:
I just wasted over an hour on the final stage, and I still failed to beat it. The final boss is TOUGH. Pretty awesome design though. Oh well, I'll try again later.
Mine was over an hour too. The clock times out at 59:59.99 though.

Now I have to backtrack for the rest of the diamonds. :(

duckroll

Tntnnbltn said:
Mine was over an hour too. The clock times out at 59:99.99 though.

Now I have to backtrack for the rest of the diamonds. :(

Yeah, when I saw the clock wasn't moving anymore, I just said fuck it. I know I can beat it, but I don't want to keep trying when I felt the mindset wasn't there to beat it. The stages leading to the boss aren't a big deal to redo anyway.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
My major issue with Pixeljunk Shooter (both 1 and 2) is that the levels are too long. They'd be great at half the length. Right now I can only play one or two levels per session and rarely anything more. I've only beaten 3 levels so far because of that.

BeeDog

This game sure is harder than the first; completed the first episode this morning, and I truly hope the egg/acid mechanics don't show up in the other episodes, since I found that crap frustrating.

Did some multiplayer matches yesterday, and it was surprisingly fun! Very tense when you battle someone that is of an equal skill level.

duckroll

kinoki said:
My major issue with Pixeljunk Shooter (both 1 and 2) is that the levels are too long. They'd be great at half the length. Right now I can only play one or two levels per session and rarely anything more. I've only beaten 3 levels so far because of that.

Wait, this is an issue? Isn't it good that a game paces itself so you can't blow through the entire game in a day? If finishing a stage gives you enough satisfaction to stop for the day, why is that a negative?

I honestly felt the stages in Shooter 1 were too short, and too easy. I was done with it really quickly and it didn't feel like I accomplished that much, aside form the boss stages. Shooter 2 is much longer, and the challenge is much better balanced. The stages in Shooter 2 are just about perfect in terms of length and difficulty imo. Taken as a whole, I would say that Shooter + Shooter 2 as a single game would be something I feel comfortable paying $39.90 for as a retail product. 6 episodes + multiplayer is quite a lot of content.

PhiLonius

Anyone come across
the large pink diamond
in the "Carry the Torch" level? Wasn't sure if I was supposed to do something there.

DoomGyver

PhiLonius said:
Anyone come across
the large pink diamond
in the "Carry the Torch" level? Wasn't sure if I was supposed to do something there.
I think it's just an easter egg, if you
shoot away at some rock near the exit of that section you cause the water to drain out of the area where the pink diamond is. I didn't realize I had done that the first time, I was shooting everywhere looking for diamonds lol

duckroll said:
Wait, this is an issue? Isn't it good that a game paces itself so you can't blow through the entire game in a day? If finishing a stage gives you enough satisfaction to stop for the day, why is that a negative?

I honestly felt the stages in Shooter 1 were too short, and too easy. I was done with it really quickly and it didn't feel like I accomplished that much, aside form the boss stages. Shooter 2 is much longer, and the challenge is much better balanced. The stages in Shooter 2 are just about perfect in terms of length and difficulty imo. Taken as a whole, I would say that Shooter + Shooter 2 as a single game would be something I feel comfortable paying $39.90 for as a retail product. 6 episodes + multiplayer is quite a lot of content.
I really felt like the levels in 1 were the right length, but there are more of them than in 2. In 2, I feel like I have to spend 30 or more beating a level and that's a bit much for me. I think I would prefer the same game content but in the previously smaller pieces. It get particularly annoying when you miss 1-2 diamonds and have to play the whole level over trying to find it.

Yasir

Definetly seems alot more challenging than the first one. I dislike the new Hunger suit, just for the lack of mobility :) Loving it overall though.

El Rauha said:
Definetly seems alot more challenging than the first one. I dislike the new Hunger suit, just for the lack of mobility :) Loving it overall though.
I have to say I love the hunger suit for it's flaws because with the rocks there I suddenly feel like I'm playing Dig Dug or Mr. Do! again.

Tntnnbltn

"Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" - 13/15 crystals
"Cold Quiet" - 8/15 crystals
"Reactive Relics" - 14/16 crystals + Coloured survivor to get
"Survivalist" - 19/20 crystals

*sigh*

duckroll said:

Lol seriously. Gamers these days...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
duckroll said:

I know that I'm in a pretty lonely camp but I like short games I can finish in a day. Pixeljunk Shooter was really testing my patience on some levels. I really felt that every single level was too long. I'd rather have half the size but twice the levels, that'd be perfect for me.

Maybe the problem lies entirely with me. I couldn't even finish Dead Nation because I was far more intrested in collecting loot than running through levels. Most levels took 45-60 minutes which made the game seem boring and drawn out. My guess is that I play these games at a lower pace than what the developers intended and I suffer because of that.

duckroll

Well different people have different gaming habits and preferences. I was just curious as to why it was a negative.

Anyway, I just beat the game. Well, I beat the last stage anyway, don't have all the treasures, so no ending for me! Boo. After taking the time to study the patterns of the final boss, it wasn't that hard. Just a matter of executing the strategy right without getting overly excited or overwhelmed by the stuff it's throwing at you. Great fight imo.

I also managed to win another league match (which I bet on!), so I'm getting closer to Jupiter now. I'm convinced the league matchmaking servers are regioned now, which kinda sucks. I don't mind having regional matchmaking servers for better latency, but at least give us the option to select another server if we really want to. It blows when you're in a region which has way less players making it harder to get into games. :(

Tntnnbltn

duckroll said:
I also managed to win another league match (which I bet on!), so I'm getting closer to Jupiter now. I'm convinced the league matchmaking servers are regioned now, which kinda sucks. I don't mind having regional matchmaking servers for better latency, but at least give us the option to select another server if we really want to. It blows when you're in a region which has way less players making it harder to get into games. :(
It must be ping related, not region related. I'm from Australia, and I've only been able to play two league games: 1 vs another Australian, and 1 vs someone from Japan.

Sucks though. Yesterday I left it on for over an hour and didn't find a match.

duckroll

Tntnnbltn said:
It must be ping related, not region related. I'm from Australia, and I've only been able to play two league games: 1 vs another Australian, and 1 vs someone from Japan.

Sucks though. Yesterday I left it on for over an hour and didn't find a match.

No, I think you misunderstand. The country that is displayed is the location of that person's PSN account. It has nothing to do with the version of Pixeljunk Shooter 2 being used, or the person's actual IP. I've played with people outside of Japan too but very rarely. I've gotten confirmation from one of the random people I played with that his region is Japan.

Yasir

Not sure how PSN games sell generally. But noticed there's only 6000 odd users on the global leaderboard. Hope the games done better than that overall though.

Deserves more sales!

Tntnnbltn

duckroll said:
No, I think you misunderstand. The country that is displayed is the location of that person's PSN account. It has nothing to do with the version of Pixeljunk Shooter 2 being used, or the person's actual IP. I've played with people outside of Japan too but very rarely. I've gotten confirmation from one of the random people I played with that his region is Japan.
If it were based on region of purchase, then my Australian (PAL) copy of the game would be able to find plenty of matches with people from UK/Europe.

Tntnnbltn

1) Dylan is awesome

2) Woohoo, I found a match!

3) Woohoo, I won the match! Now I can purchase my third item so I can use it when playing (laggy) matches against (international) friends

BeeDog

Got to the last episode now. The light mechanic is by far the best new mechanic in the game (FUCK YOU FLY EGGS/ACID), and the levels have been really fun so far. The second boss was excellent as well and provided a decent challenge; the shooter parts were cool.

duckroll

Damnit. Owned by latency? I hope they can find some way to make it easier for some of us to get matched into games. :(

Tntnnbltn

BeeDog said:
Got to the last episode now. The light mechanic is by far the best new mechanic in the game (FUCK YOU FLY EGGS/ACID), and the levels have been really fun so far. The second boss was excellent as well and provided a decent challenge; the shooter parts were cool.
It's all fun and games until (Episode 6 enemy spoiler)
giant purple ghost fish spawn everywhere, float through walls and chase you

I haven't been matched into a single game. This fucking sucks. :/ I left it on for over an hour searching earlier and... nothing.

The single player is awesome though. Love the final episode and the light mechanic. Only got the last level left to complete.

Tntnnbltn

Perfected "Cold Quiet".

Five crystals Four crystals and one person no people left to collect.

Spotless Mind said:
I haven't been matched into a single game. This fucking sucks. :/ I left it on for over an hour searching earlier and... nothing.
I'd like to see an option where if it can't find a match for you after X period of time, then it will match you with someone with a bad ping.

When I played against TTP it was pretty laggy, but still I'd prefer that over not being able to play at all.

denomes

Spotless Mind said:

The single player is awesome though. Love the final episode and the light mechanic. Only got the last level left to complete.

If you don't find a game in less than a few minutes I find it helps to back out and begin searching again.

Spotless Mind said:

Yeah that doesn't work. If you can't get a match in 20 seconds restart the search.

HiVision

Hey there, Dylan here (this is my lurker account but I thought it was about time I came clean so I can address queries directly).

There is some kind of bug in the match code and we are working hard to fix it - as other people say, if it doesn't match in 20-30 seconds pop out and back in again... quite often it will match immediately. If it takes 30+ seconds it probably ain't going to match you. (sorry!)

As someone kindly re-posted for me, the matching is based on skill and ping - with the skill search getting wider and wider if no-one is around. Ping is fairly lenient too - I was playing someone from russia today (beat him) without too much lag (and he was using the mic too).

If you haven't already, it's best to connect your ps3 directly and not via wi-fi if you are playing online games with it. We found this helped enormously.

Thanks for all the compliments and support - we put a lot of love into this and of course some people might not "get" where we are coming from with some of the design etc., but that isn't their fault as such and we can only design games and gauge by what we personally have fun with! :)

A lot of the reviews say there is more shooting in this and it is more difficult... but I find that amusing as I storm through the stages killing all the enemies in chained combos with hardly a shot :)
It is more challenging sure, but with the hugely strengthened barrage missiles and spin dash we balanced that out (or we certainly attempted to!).

Oh.. and even though I've been making this for a year and should be totally tired of it - hell, the online vs is bloody addictive!! I don't know about you all but I only realised these few days playing back to back with real players (not testers) that it really gives off that old school Spy vs Spy vibe. Spread the word, let's get people playing it, I think we've managed to create a truly unique fun and highly addictive vs mode here and there aren't many games that have taken it this far.

(I now see the other ship scanning around for me when I close my eyes at night... in the way I'd see tetris blocks falling in my eyelids in the early 90s :) )

duckroll

Well, thanks for the clarification on the online. You guys have made a really good game, and as a fan of the original Pixeljunk Shooter, the sequel definitely lived up to and surpassed my expectations. Really hope you guys improve the online matching, because it's the only thing holding back the multiplayer mode, which is definitely very fun and addictive when it works.

As far as there being more "shooting", I think I personally equate shooters with two things, the first would be shooting to kill enemies, but the other is equally important: having to evade shots from enemies and learning to evade bullet patterns and other projectile attacks. As far as the latter goes, there's definitely a lot more of it in PJS2, and that's not a knock on the game at all. The puzzle elements and environmental stuff were already fleshed out and well established in the original, so I'm glad that the combat mechanics got the same treatment this time round to make it an even more complete package. :)

kinoki

HiVision said:
Thanks for all the compliments and support - we put a lot of love into this and of course some people might not "get" where we are coming from with some of the design etc., but that isn't their fault as such and we can only design games and gauge by what we personally have fun with! :)

I feel that this was almost directed at me, and that's cool. I get through the games alright, judging by the spacing of the trophies earned in the first game it took me little over 3 months to finish it. And that's a game people can burn through in less than a day, most likely.

Tntnnbltn

One crystal left!

The final boss is a lot easier once you've beaten him once. I've replayed the final level twice for diamonds and have had no problems with the boss. In fact, I'd say it's easier to replay than the second boss is.

Edit:
Congratulations!
All Treasure Found!

man, you guys weren't kidding when you said this game was more challenging then the first! Having a blast though. I want to try out multiplayer but keep finding myself wanting to complete adventure mode first. I love me some pixeljunk games!

Thrakier

HiVision said:
If you haven't already, it's best to connect your ps3 directly and not via wi-fi if you are playing online games with it. We found this helped enormously.

Could you please elaborate on that? Is this a PJS issue or a general PS3 issue? If so - why?

Cesar

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
The final boss is a lot easier once you've beaten him once. I've replayed the final level twice for diamonds and have had no problems with the boss. In fact, I'd say it's easier to replay than the second boss is.

Got any tips?

I think it wasn't mentioned yet, but just like S1, Shooter 2 has Home reward(s?).

PlayStation%C2%AEHome-Foto%206-3-2011%2018-36-50.jpg

You get the Player 1 ship for getting the One Small Step trophy (buying your first item in online mp).

in other news, I lost my first battle 2:1 ^^
I like that you can collect money during the matchmaking search :p

Also, kudos to Q-Games for keeping the support of all those firmware features neglected by most developers. Like previous releases, PJ Shooter 2 is equipped with XMB custom music, XMB screenshots as well as videorecording and youtube uploading.
I always wondered if the close contact to the PS3 firmware development is the reason for this.

Yes Boss!

DevelopmentArrested said:
This game is too tough :(
No kidding!

But after three hours I finally beat the first world. Honestly, O'd rather have it tough tjan easy. The first was a day game and this one is a week.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is anyone else having SLOOOOOW download speeds from PSN?

I think I might be downloading this game at 30 KB/s. I swear to God. It's like I'm in 2000.

spats

Glad to hear that other people are finding that the game packs a challenge, I was afraid I'd gotten rusty after all the poorly balanced corridor shooters. :p

HiVision said:
There is some kind of bug in the match code and we are working hard to fix it - as other people say, if it doesn't match in 20-30 seconds pop out and back in again... quite often it will match immediately. If it takes 30+ seconds it probably ain't going to match you. (sorry!)
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't having much luck connecting to anyone this way either, until i luckily ran into Tntnnbltn. Seems it will only connect me to fellow aussies based on ping, so i'll try again at a peak time here.

Good matches btw, Tnt. You slaughtered me. :)

The multiplayer is a lot of fun and surprisingly tense. I appreciate the amount of effort put in to make it feel unique and remain true to the single player. I see myself coming back to it often.

Tntnnbltn

Ahahaha, I never paid attention to your username on here before, not even when I quoted you earlier on the page. I recognised your name from the PJS SP highscore tables, but not from here.

Should've guessed it would've been a gaffer playing PJS MP early on a Monday morning.

I beat the game and also tried MP, the final boss was fucking awesome, I think it took me 30 minutes to beat. I dont know if I can go back and collect all the diamonds like I could in the original. The levels are just too long.

MP was great fun, didnt have much issues finding people either. The first game it was 2-2 and I was on offense for the final turn, I didnt know the rules and ended up putting a miner in the other players area, giving him the win. In the second game, the player went up 3-0 in the first turn. On my turn I couldnt find any miners, because I had to use the lava ball to reach the rest. By the time I figured it out it was too late and I lost. Third game I rocked the guy 5-0! So now I got the hang of it, its really addictive.

PhiLonius

Finally beat it. That last boss was tough, took a while and a few tries to beat it. Going to start back from the beginning and get all the diamonds I missed now.

HiVision

kinoki said:
I feel that this was almost directed at me, and that's cool. I get through the games alright, judging by the spacing of the trophies earned in the first game it took me little over 3 months to finish it. And that's a game people can burn through in less than a day, most likely.

Actually it wasn't directed at anyone - play it at your own pace, no need to rush.

Some tips - Spin+R3 is your friend and it will take out multiple enemies in a row, sometimes you need to do it again quickly if it is a tough enemy but you'll have fun destroying meanies like this.

Feel free to stand back a bit and just fire a barrage of missiles at enemies - we tuned this from Shooter 1 so you fire at least twice as many missiles and your heat gauge doesn't go up as much, so it is far more usable and a lot of fun! (it charges quicker too)
(just watch out for those poor survivors :) )

For bullet hell enemies and their patterns - well the grapple hook can be used to destroy the enemy if you get close enough, but otherwise the patterns are fixed (and their bullets aren't one-shot-kill, so just take it nice and steady and don't panic!!). Boss 5 is the same; the screen may be FULL of bullets but if you look you can see clear spots where the bullets don't go, aim for those and take your time. If you get hit, don't panic, just move to a safe spot and cool down.

My PSN ID's PixelMeister so be kind if you match against me :)

Top Bottom