• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets here! Will the Switch 2 (SwithU?) impress you or be a huge let down?

Will the Switch 2 be an impressive Piece of tech or Underwhelming?

• Impressive Piece of Tech! PS4 pro or even Series S levels docked?

Votes: 67 41.1%
  • Meh, not really that impressive.

Votes: 96 58.9%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am a Nintendo fan from the old NES so I am hoping it will be an console that has enough power to include modern day game play experiences like 60fps @ 1080p for most games. Maybe push it up to 4k with the newest DLSS technolgy for certain titles. I hope this to be true but I doubt it. I am guessing somehting maybe ps4 pro level docked and maybe just ps4 level in hanheld mode. Nintendo has not tried to release a cutting edge technology type of system since the Gamecube. I highly doubt they start now.

I hated the Switch when it came out and lauged at how underpowered it was. The problem I have is gameplay wins me over graphics every time. As my PS5 library has been stagnant for myself the last couple of years, (I do not care for From Software titles) I started looking around for a different gaming experience. Despite my initial opinion, the games and hits kept coming. It won me over. I suspect I will be disappointed at first but eventually the games will win me over again.

nial

I am a Nintendo fan
Yes, we notice.
Isn't there a big Switch 2 thread over there like the PS5 Pro one? What is there even to discuss here when we haven't seen anything about the console itself, given that it's probably not releasing in over a year?

feynoob

Banned
It will be a hit. Not because it has Mario, but because it has the power to run PS4 games. That itself is a huge selling point for the console.

If Nintendo can do that, then they have one of the best hybrid console in the entire gaming industry. Every 3rd party would port their games to the platform.

It's up to Nintendo, if they are going to do that.

Fabieter

I’d imagine it’ll be around PS4 level, with some tech advantages like DLSS.

Do you mean docked? Because less than 5 times increase would be insane. The slowest mobile dlss capable gpu is alot stronger than a ps4 but Nintendo might surprise us and it's gonna be less powerful.

I think its gonna be closer to ps4 pro than ps4 at least docked!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
with some tech advantages like DLSS.
My main gripe with the Switch is the framerate and lack of resolution, specially on some 3rd party games... so something like that would be great to have.

Last edited:

Just_one

I just cant imagine being good. Ps4 levels is what im expecting. If somehow they reach series S levels I will surprised

Fbh

Gold Member
It's Nintendo.
It's probably going have around base Ps4 level performance for like $399, though if they are still going with Nvidia it might have some upscaling tech which might help it push somewhat higher resolutions.

If it provides Series S tier performance I'd honestly be surprised (and pretty pleased)

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Seeing Xenoblade 3 and Tears Of The Kingdom running at 4K DLSS and 60fps will be very impressive.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
We already have an idea of what it will most likely be: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...dware-for-nintendo-what-is-the-t239-processor

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo downclocks it or disables certain elements to improve yields. I think it will be able to do PS4-level stuff at higher resolution, sort of how Switch does Xbox 360 level stuff at higher resolution. Considering the PS4 got games like Ragnarok, Spiderman, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, that's pretty good.

Hohenheim

All I know is that it will be at least four threads on here with Nintendo and "doomed" in the title as soon as the thing gets announced.

Also, I will hopefully be impressed and hyped by a few of the games launching alongside it. Not so much by the hardware itself I think.

EruditeHobo

I'd expect the "power" to be disappointing, but as always some of their games will be really good. I don't love my Switch, I would never rank it above my PS4 or PS5 which are just much more suited to how I like to game... but I'm very glad I've had it. It's a very solid 2nd platform; it's great for Nintendo 1st party, and for indie/retro-style games that don't lose much at all by not being displayed on a 60 inch 4k OLED. I don't even have the dock plugged in... purely a handheld to be used in bed or maybe on an airplane, for me.

I don't think Switch 2 will be all that powerful, so between these 2 options I guess that makes me a "meh" voter.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Regardless of specs etc. The real question is can it emulate or surpass the success of the switch ?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
To have actual gen games running at 1080p 60fps you need a portable PS5, and only if you want to expend US$1000 or maybe even more that you have a chance. Nintendo will not do that. Get over it

Fabieter

To have actual gen games running at 1080p 60fps you need a portable PS5, and only if you want to expend US$1000 or maybe even more that you have a chance. Nintendo will not do that. Get over it

Ofc but op is asking if switch 2 could hit ps4 pro docked which Is definitely reachable.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think it will be a decent hybrid device, but I don't think I will be impressed. I will likely be content.

Robert Redford Nodding GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Last edited:

Killer8

If it's just an iteration on the Switch hybrid model, but more powerful, in some ways it will be disappointing. Nintendo have found a winning formula now, so perhaps a more powerful Switch will be enough to sell another 100 million. But it's feeling like the end of that era where every console they made innovated in some key way.

Deerock71

If it's just an iteration on the Switch hybrid model, but more powerful, in some ways it will be disappointing. Nintendo have found a winning formula now, so perhaps a more powerful Switch will be enough to sell another 100 million. But it's feeling like the end of that era where every console they made innovated in some key way.
It's still blue oceans if nobody in the console space dared follow them. 💡

It's also pissing me off how long Nintendo keeps delaying its release as they want to milk the Switch for as long as possible. Without that Oled screen though, all pixel art games are going to look dull and that was one of the big draws for me with Switch ...pixel art and retro games look fantastic on Oled

Xellos

I'm expecting it to look weak on paper but be saved by DLSS. On an 8 inch screen, DLSS 480/540p->720/1080p should look fine, and even a weak, downclocked Ampere GPU should be able to do a reasonable job at 480/540p. Docked should provide enough of a boost to get higher rendering resolutions and DLSS 1080/1440p, which should look fine on a TV.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It will be impressive vs a 2017 Switch. It won't be impressive vs a 2024 PC, Steam Deck or the PS5 and XSX. But it will be more than enough to play new Nintendo games and last gen games.......but just like this era.....it will play last gen games at lower resolution.

REDRZA MWS

I haven’t been impressed by Nintendo NES and SNES. The GameCube got swallowed up by ps2, and the Wii and Wii U we’re ancient repacked GameCube bugs, with the Wii FORCING waggle nonsense.

The switch is an underpowered hardware. The switch 2 I have no interest in outdated hardware that’s portable.

Next purchase I buy is ps5 pro.

StereoVsn

I’d imagine it’ll be around PS4 level, with some tech advantages like DLSS.
Yep, approximate chip specs are already known for the most part. Question is implementation on Nintendo’s part and any mandates on the devs, like DLSS inclusion.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I really don't get it. People in this forum dread the very existence on Xbox series s and claims it's holding the entire generation down. And then get excited about a upcoming video game that will perform around the same level.

...why?

Brigandier

It sounds like it's going to be a seriously dated, over priced, overhyped, underwhelming pile of steaming shit to me and will be on the market far too long just like the very stale Switch, People happy that it's going to be "PS4 Like" am I supposed to be impressed that matching a 2013 console is going to be Nintendos goal for 2025? 😆 🤣

I really don't get it. People in this forum dread the very existence on Xbox series s and claims it's holding the entire generation down. And then get excited about a upcoming video game that will perform around the same level.

...why?

The goalposts move faster than Usain Bolt when it's Nintendo lol the most toxic fanboys in any circle on the Internet, So many people legit overjoyed that the next Switch will be the same quality as a 12 year old console 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom