• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets here! Will the Switch 2 (SwithU?) impress you or be a huge let down?

Will the Switch 2 be an impressive Piece of tech or Underwhelming?

• Impressive Piece of Tech! PS4 pro or even Series S levels docked?

Votes: 67 41.1%
  • Meh, not really that impressive.

Votes: 96 58.9%

• Total voters

Robb

Gold Member
437Xs8A.jpeg

We’re talking modern Nintendo here.. Dated tech, portable format, low power consumption - all sold at a profit from day one.

Of course it’s not going to be impressive. But it’ll at least be a huge step up from current Switch and comparable to other more modern portable machines, I assume.

IMO, Nintendo wins me over always with their catalog, I laughed on the switch and its pricing back in 2017, bought a lite during 2020, modified it to rip games and emulate them on my PC, I don't use it much, but those guys got a lot of money from me.
Currently, I wish they just succumb to the PC trend and release their games there.

As for power, with an nvidia chip they can do wonders
Sth like a 3070 would be great, but that's a big dream.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
People saying PS4 levels is forgetting how gigantic leap in memory speed that would be. It’ll probably be PS4 equivalent through modern architecture and other advantages but surely lacking in bandwidth.
The VCR Xbox One has 68.3 GB/s memory bandwidth. The Switch 2 should have double that and with advanced memory compression, too.

And yes, I do know that the OG Xbox One had that esram to help with the limited memory bandwith, but the Switch 2 should easily punch above that dreadful VCR Xbox One.

Sintoid

If rumored price of 499$ is true this device may be a good hybrid console but it doesn't have anymore the "Gift for kids" price and the wow effect of Switch 1 so it won't have same success
in my opinion

GinSama

I wish they would go crazy like GameCube levels....

But I still think they go around PS4/Xbox one level...is not bad if they continue the docking and undocking mode .

But the main point will be the backward I really hope Nintendo keeps that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Power wise? Of course it will be a let down but that's fine with me. I don't buy Nintendo consoles for the that.
Just don't fuck it, Nintendo. BC is a must. Don't go insane with the tech. If it's not broken don't fix it. Learn from the Wii U mistake. Keep it simple.

Mownoc

The hardware will be adequate.

The question is whether Nintendo have something to show-off that is impressive. The WiiU wasn't very powerful but seeing MK8 for the first time was a wow moment for me. That was the last time Nintendo impressed me visually.

The switch had old parts even when it was released, I'd imagine the Switch 2 is the same, so get whatever chipset the gaming phones from a few years ago had and it's probably similar if not identical to that, mass produced stuff that's getting old in the tooth so they can buy it for cheap, it's the Nintendo way.

So we'll all be saying it's a shame, they should of gone a generation or two newer etc, but somehow they'll make games that actually look pretty good so we'll make do.

Radical_3d

The VCR Xbox One has 68.3 GB/s memory bandwidth. The Switch 2 should have double that and with advanced memory compression, too.

And yes, I do know that the OG Xbox One had that esram to help with the limited memory bandwith, but the Switch 2 should easily punch above that dreadful VCR Xbox One.
DF (I know, I know) says that the main problem for Sony to make a portable PS4 is bandwidth. And I kind of agree. The iPad Pro with M4 has a 120GB/s LPDDR5X memory and it’s a high end device for its form factor. Expecting a Nintendo device to match or even surpass that in a mass market price target is not delusional but flat out bananas.

Last edited:

MrSec84

Rumours say the power supply will be 60 watts, paired with Ampere level processing architecture.
There has been rumours that the chip is being made on a 7nm process, rather than 8nm, using Samsung's fab.
Say 40 watts of available GPU power, we could be looking at an RTX GPU with 3TFlops of performance.

That could be enough with DLSS to get XBox Series S performance in docked mode, maybe half that in portable.

The CPU being ARM could limit it, but we could also have more memory than Series S available to games, though mobile chips probably won't have the bandwidth of the XBox.
Hopefully NVidia's compression tech can compensate for the lower bandwidth, but it should be a decent upgrade over Switch and I think it will be impressive once devs cater to it as a platform.

I can't wait to see what the next Zelda, Splatoon or Mario Kart look and perform on a device with that level of technology.

Interested to see whether the recent rumours of it being able to stream to the dock wirelessly while undocked physically, though it will likely be limited to portable performance, but that would be a nice idea for quality of life and give players options.

Three

It's mostly going to start getting PS4 ports so not that impressive if you already have seen other handhelds. The only thing that would impress me is the possible software lineup Nintendo has planned for it and we have very little info on that.

Shifty1897

It sounds like it's going to be a seriously dated, over priced, overhyped, underwhelming pile of steaming shit to me and will be on the market far too long just like the very stale Switch, People happy that it's going to be "PS4 Like" am I supposed to be impressed that matching a 2013 console is going to be Nintendos goal for 2025? 😆 🤣
It's a handheld. Try attaching a screen, battery, and controller to your PS5 and report back how that is to carry around.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Somewhere in between. I do believe it's going to fundamentally be a retooled version of the Switch Pro meant to release two years ago, possibly with a die shrink and/or an overclock. So I am not expecting the most cutting edge thing in the world.

That said, the bar is kinda low in the handheld space. No on really pushes mobile for modern gaming, and DLSS secret sauce, combined with more memory and CPU overhead means we could end up with something considerably more capable than a PS4 even with similar GPU performance. It might end up feeling like a Series S tier, and that's pretty good for a handheld.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

DF (I know, I know) says that the main problem for Sony to make a portable PS4 is bandwidth. And I kind of agree. The iPad Pro with M4 has a 120GB/s LPDDR5X memory and it’s a high end device for its form factor.
Clearly you haven't kept up with the latest Switch 2 leaks and information. We know since May of this year that they'll be using Micron (either LPDDR5 or LPDDR5X) clocked at 7500MT/s which should give the Switch 2 a total memory bandwidth of 120 GB/s.

Expecting a Nintendo device to match or even surpass that in a mass market price target is not delusional but flat out bananas.
There it is, you had to go there, didn't you? 🙄

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Whatever people are expecting, it will be less impressive than that.
That's such a non-answer. Most people who have followed Switch 2 leaks and rumors expect perf around PS4/XBO levels, maybe a tad higher than that especially when docked (this is not accounting for DLSS). So in your opinion the Switch 2 will be less impressive than that? 🤔

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Clearly you haven't kept up with the latest Switch 2 leaks and information. We know since May of this year that they'll be using Micron (either LPDDR5 or LPDDR5X) clocked at 7500MT/s which should give the Switch 2 a total memory bandwidth of 120 GB/s.

I’ve kept up but that’s neither double the Bone bandwidth nor even close to PS4. I’m sure it’ll look better than a base PS4 but in tech analysis the bandwidth problem will be shown somehow.
There it is, you had to go there, didn't you? 🙄
Benedict Cumberbatch Nod GIF

Thick Thighs Save Lives

The switch had old parts even when it was released, I'd imagine the Switch 2 is the same, so get whatever chipset the gaming phones from a few years ago had and it's probably similar if not identical to that, mass produced stuff that's getting old in the tooth so they can buy it for cheap, it's the Nintendo way.

So we'll all be saying it's a shame, they should of gone a generation or two newer etc, but somehow they'll make games that actually look pretty good so we'll make do.
You don't need to guess. We already know most of the Switch 2 hardware specs, except for the manufacturing process and the SoC clock speeds.
  • 1536 CUDA Cores, 48 tensor cores, 12 RT cores
  • Ampere architecture with features backported from Ada
  • 8x ARM A78C
  • File decompression engine
  • 12 GB LPDDR5X RAM 7500 MT/s
  • 256 UFS 3.1
Source is the same public shipment information from a few posts above this one.

Trilobit

With the upcoming monkey pox pandemic if they can churn out the next Animal Crossing I'll happily buy it even if it would be an Amiga.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

I’ve kept up but that’s neither double the Bone bandwidth nor even close to PS4. I’m sure it’ll look better than a base PS4 but in tech analysis the bandwidth problem will be shown somehow.

Benedict Cumberbatch Nod GIF
I see that you're moving the goalposts. My original claim, which you clearly took issue with, was that the Switch 2 would have double the bandwidth of the OG VCR Xbox One. Double the bandwidth of the OG VCR Xbox is 136GB/s. I was in the ballpark with my original claim since the NSW2 will have around 120GB/s, and I also mentioned that they'll be using advanced compression techniques to make the memory bandwidth more efficient. I never said anything about the PS4

Topher

Gold Member
DF (I know, I know) says that the main problem for Sony to make a portable PS4 is bandwidth. And I kind of agree. The iPad Pro with M4 has a 120GB/s LPDDR5X memory and it’s a high end device for its form factor. Expecting a Nintendo device to match or even surpass that in a mass market price target is not delusional but flat out bananas.

Gotta remember that Apple has a huge markup on their iOS devices. Nintendo does not. In fact, I would not be surprised if Nintendo broke even on Switch 2 costs initially to keep the price down.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I see that you're moving the goalposts. My original claim, which you clearly took issue with, was that the Switch 2 would have double the bandwidth of the OG VCR Xbox One. Double the bandwidth of the OG VCR Xbox is 136GB/s. I was in the ballpark with my original claim since the NSW2 will have around 120GB/s, and I also mentioned that they'll be using advanced compression techniques to make the memory bandwidth more efficient. I never said anything about the PS4
Well, my original post was about how it was very hard to have PS4 bandwidth in a portable form and then you bring up the regarded child of that generation and said it’ll double that, which as you stated is 136, and I said that’s not what 7500MT gets you. So the goal posts are firmly still where they started and the Switch 2 is not arriving. And one more thing, there must be a catch in the whole memory thing. It’s way more than I expected (more than a XSS) and in line with what a 900€ Ally X offers in terms of speed. So seems fishy for a 400€ Ninty device. Some downgrade somehow in the bandwidth that is not reflected in the specs? Memory chips made out of Chinese children’s bones? I don’t know. I don’t buy it…

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Well, my original post was about how it was very hard to have PS4 bandwidth in a portable form and then you bring up the regarded child of that generation and said it’ll double that, which as you stated is 136, and I said that’s not what 7500MT gets you. So the goal posts are firmly still where they started and the Switch 2 is not arriving.
I brought up the VCR Xbox One because it's from the same generation as the PS4, and it received all the games the PS4 did, albeit being rendered at slightly lower resolution. So, why shouldn't I? Also, memory bandwidth is just one part of the equation, and you're still ignoring the part where I mentioned that the T239 custom SoC will use more advanced memory compression techniques than those old XBO/PS4 SoCs.
And one more thing, there must be a catch in the whole memory thing. It’s way more than I expected (more than a XSS) and in line with what a 900€ Ally X gets you. So seems fishy for a 400€ Ninty device. Some downgrade somehow in the bandwidth that is not reflected in the specs? Memory chips made out of Chinese children’s bones? I don’t know. I don’t buy it…
Why wouldn't you buy it? These are all public manifest shipping details, which you can look up yourself, just like those guys on Famiboards did. The NSW2 will ship with 12GB of RAM, not 24GB like the Ally X. And why would you even compare a high-volume product like a Nintendo console to a PC handheld? They'll get more favorable contracts with their suppliers since they'll be shipping tens of millions of Switch 2 units, if not over 100 million in its lifetime.

I really don't get it. People in this forum dread the very existence on Xbox series s and claims it's holding the entire generation down. And then get excited about a upcoming video game that will perform around the same level.

...why?
Because it can also be used as a portable device. If MS announced a handheld Series S a lot of people would be interested in it for the specs alone especially if they had the full Switch line up of exclusives and whatever Nintendo will produce for the next decade.

The last impressive Nintendo console was the Gamecube and it will always remain that way. The days where Nintendo delivers up to date tech is long gone.
Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they don't want to subsidize their hardware and make money with every piece of hardware they sell.

One of the reasons why I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the GameCube.

Minsc

Gold Member
steemdeck has no dlss nvidia chips will bee more advanced and better overalls confirmed

Yup, Steam Deck isn't a power house and doesn't have "Docked" profiles either. The wattage peaks around 20W, and that's it. Stuff like the Ally which can go much higher has a pretty big advantage, and if the Switch 2 has a docked mode which I don't see why it wouldn't since the original does, there's that. In addition to the much newer hardware.

Deck absolutely will get left in the dust by Switch 2 IMO. Deck 2 will be another story though...

StereoVsn

I really don't get it. People in this forum dread the very existence on Xbox series s and claims it's holding the entire generation down. And then get excited about a upcoming video game that will perform around the same level.

...why?
Because I can’t take Series S with me and play it on the train or somewhere with bad Internet.

Plus Nintendo library on the go is always a great thing to have. Switch was way underpowered, but even a proper BC PS4 (with new tech support) handheld would help a lot with older games running in dynamic res and frame rate.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Above PS4 teraflops (~2.4 I imagine) but a huge fucking leap in GPU architecture and CPU compared to what PS4 had. Ampere, even if it’s old sauce in Nvidia land, brought huge improvements that comparing TFlops become almost meaningless.

If Steam deck runs this with lower teraflops and lower tier architecture, on windows with directx12 API

Then switch 2 would just surpass it in every way, especially without the OS overhead and better API.

I think everyone would be fine with these levels of graphics in an handheld.

Nintendo is going into the realm where budget and number of artists are mainly the limit of graphics, they probably won’t even catch up to Sony PS4’s best even with the hardware

Eh, having bought a Steam Deck last year and Legion Go on sale this past week....if its just 'a powerful Switch' then I expect to be whelmed. You know the software will be top notch but they've taken so long to release the successor, I've put my money into other platforms now.

Hell I've barely played th current Swifch and my backlog has alot of exclusives. At this point I may as well keep those for Switch 2 whenever I cam be arsed to get one, but it's not likely I'm getting caught up in the launch hype unless they really come out swinging.

Last edited:

Hudo

The games need to impress me. Hardware is just a means to an end. The "current gen" consoles are alright from a technical point of view but still have not impressed me whatsoever.

If anything, the recent takes on franchises like God of War or The Last of Us have disappointed me so much that I lost interest in both IPs. Nintendo need to deliver on making fun games that I want to play.

That's such a non-answer. Most people who have followed Switch 2 leaks and rumors expect perf around PS4/XBO levels, maybe a tad higher than that especially when docked (this is not accounting for DLSS). So in your opinion the Switch 2 will be less impressive than that? 🤔
Oh yes, for sure. I'm definitely also sceptical about the level of DLSS people are expecting. I don't believe any of the rumors until I see the finished product, I'm confident Nintendo will find many ways to put performance below what people here are expecting or speculating about.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Another underpowered piece of tech by Nintendo. Unimpressive all around, horrible visuals again for the next decade from them.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Oh yes, for sure. I'm definitely also sceptical about the level of DLSS people are expecting. I don't believe any of the rumors until I see the finished product, I'm confident Nintendo will find many ways to put performance below what people here are expecting or speculating about.
PS4/XBO level of performance is quite a conservative expectation for the Switch 2, yet you truly believe that Nintendo will find a way to put perf below that? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

I truly do 🙂

We'll see eventually.
Well, since you're so sure of yourself, are you willing to make a bet? Let's say 3 months of GAF Gold.
  • If the performance is at or above the level of PS4/XBO, you'll gift me or another user I choose 3 months of GAF Gold.
  • If the performance is below the level of PS4/XBO, I'll gift you 3 months of GAF Gold.
You up for it? 🤔 If it's too low of an amount we can up it to 6 months or a year of GAF gold. :messenger_smirking:

Well, since you're so sure of yourself, are you willing to make a bet? Let's say 3 months of GAF Gold.
  • If the performance is at or above the level of PS4/XBO, you'll gift me or another user I choose 3 months of GAF Gold.
  • If the performance is below the level of PS4/XBO, I'll gift you 3 months of GAF Gold.
You up for it? 🤔 If it's too low of an amount we can up it to 6 months or a year of GAF gold. :messenger_smirking:
Of course not. Why would I bet on something where I could be wrong? This is what I believe, nothing more. Leaks and rumors are only that, and until there's any kind of confirmation from Nintendo I will assume that they will do what they always do - deliver less than what people are expecting.

But I don't know more than any of you guys, which is to say nothing.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Of course not. Why would I bet on something where I could be wrong?
Okay, so you're chickening out. Got it.
This is what I believe, nothing more. Leaks and rumors are only that, and until there's any kind of confirmation from Nintendo I will assume that they will do what they always do - deliver less than what people are expecting.

But I don't know more than any of you guys, which is to say nothing.
My dude, this isn't even about leaks and rumors. The Switch delivered performance above that of the PS3/360, so common sense would suggest that the Switch 2 should surpass the perf of the PS4/XBO. It will have been almost 12 years since the launch of the PS4/XBO by the time the Switch 2 is released next year.

Top Bottom