• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets here! Will the Switch 2 (SwithU?) impress you or be a huge let down?

Will the Switch 2 be an impressive Piece of tech or Underwhelming?

• Impressive Piece of Tech! PS4 pro or even Series S levels docked?

Votes: 67 41.1%
  • Meh, not really that impressive.

Votes: 96 58.9%

• Total voters
Okay, so you're chickening out. Got it.

My dude, this isn't even about leaks and rumors. The Switch delivered performance above that of the PS3/360, so common sense would suggest that the Switch 2 should surpass the perf of the PS4/XBO. It will have been almost 12 years since the launch of the PS4/XBO by the time the Switch 2 is released next year.
I'm not under any obligation to participate in any bet with some random person on the Internet just because I have an opinion or believe something? 😆 If you wanna call that chickening out, ehh I sure am then. 😘

Common sense would be to expect a disappointment from Nintendo hardware. But I don't even know why we're arguing this, what's the point? For me this discussion is over 🙂

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I'm not under any obligation to participate in any bet with some random person on the Internet just because I have an opinion or believe something? 😆 If you wanna call that chickening out, ehh I sure am then. 😘
It was just fun low stakes bet, my dude. :p However, once the Switch 2 specs are official unveiled, I'll be sure to call you out for posting these silly opinions. 😘
Common sense would be to expect a disappointment from Nintendo hardware.
If it makes you happy, do continue believing that.
But I don't even know why we're arguing this, what's the point? For me this discussion is over 🙂
Well that's pretty obvious, so sure, there's no real point in continuing this discussion further I guess.

RCU005

I'm hoping the rumors are true about being at PS4 to PS4 Pro level, with modern tech. I don't think Nintendo needs more, since they build their games with gameplay in mind.
Most of their games have been made around the controller novelty:
-SNES: Shoulder buttons
-N64: Analog Stick
-GameCube: Contextual buttons (Big A button)
-Wii: Wii Remote
-Wii U: Screen on the controller
-Switch: Console/Portable hybrid.

If this is an iteration of the Switch, I expect to have better designed joy-cons and dock, and be practically what the 3DS was to the DS (which was still a big improvement).

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Common sense would be to expect a disappointment from Nintendo hardware. But I don't even know why we're arguing this, what's the point? For me this discussion is over 🙂

thumbs-up-dance.gif

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Common sense is looking into it that Nintendo ain’t R&D’ing fuck all for these chips, and what’s available to manufacture won’t be used only for them.

They allegedly passed on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon Gen 2 which is already in the power targets mentioned in my previous post. For sure Nvidia has a better solution and one that will likely be used in a shield 2.

Thinking Nintendo will just derp their way and pay an R&D for an underperforming chipset under a Steam deck is a bet I would not take 😂

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think it'll be hard to be impressed by the tech at first glance, especially when handhelds like the Steam Deck exist.

However, I think people will be wowed by the first party titles. The Switch isn't powerful by today's standards, but games like Luigi's Mansion still make me wonder what black magic Nintendo have to make a game look that good on the Switch.

The question should be will the masses be impressed with new console? Will the casuals who bought the Switch for they're young kids think it's worth the upgrade?

History says no to that question. The DS was a huge success with the casual market, but the 3DS only sold half the number. Same with the Wii U Vs the Wii.

The casual market is who Nintendo needs impress.

cireza

Gold Member
The question I am asking myself right now is not if it is going to be PS4 levels in a handheld (I doubt it will), but rather : will it only even make a visible difference with current Switch ?

If they ditch the handheld form and go back to a proper home console, then we can have a bump. But this is Nintendo, they don't want this because this means more work for them when making games.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
There's been too many Nintendo generations in a row where I've learned to set my expectations well below what I'd truly want, and be surprised if it beats to the upside. So far I haven't been surprised.
this is all true my friends buuuuuuut switch did goord nobody will buy switch 2 unless upgrade is purdy good will be confirmed

It was just fun low stakes bet, my dude. :p However, once the Switch 2 specs are official unveiled, I'll be sure to call you out for posting these silly opinions. 😘

If it makes you happy, do continue believing that.

Well that's pretty obvious, so sure, there's no real point in continuing this discussion further I guess.
Let me just end by saying I would get no satisfaction if I'm right. Nobody would be happier than me if I turn out to be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Robb

Gold Member
will it only even make a visible difference with current Switch ?
Even if it’s slightly below PS4 it should be a very big jump relative to Switch. Especially so since we never got a “Pro” version of the current Switch. We’re finally moving on from 2015 hardware.

Just compare something like Horizon Forbidden West to Tears of the Kingdom. Not that I’d expect Nintendo to focus on visuals to that degree, but what the PS4 was able to cram out visually was frankly pretty astonishing.

LordOfChaos

this is all true my friends buuuuuuut switch did goord nobody will buy switch 2 unless upgrade is purdy good will be confirmed

It'll be a good upgrade for the Switch, but that's an undocked 236 GFLOPS, 393 GFLOPS docked machine.

But the people hyping up a 4Tflop PS4 Pro GPU beating machine might be setting themselves up for disappointment, unless they compare FP16 half precision to FP32 full precision which you shouldn't do (I think some sub 15% of the pipeline in modern games can be half precision, so it can boost performance in some places but not 2x overall, not even close).

I'd rather hope for far below that and be surprised, than to be disappointed. This said with modern DLSS and Nintendo taking full advantage it'll still look really good in comparison to the low res the Switch looks like on 4K TVs today.

Last edited:
No Nintendo console has ever impressed me from a tech stand point.....But non of them (Bar the Switch) have disappointed. Like i said previously, they always seem to be at least 1 Gen behind and sometimes even 2 Gens..

El Muerto

Gold Member
It's going to be an underpowered APU, but with an AI upscaler. Will probably be more complicated on purpose to stop emulation. And the AI will upscale regular Switch games.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If you’re expecting a Nintendo console to impress you with its hardware specs, you’re only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hardware will disappoint but the software will be great, as always.

amigastar

If you’re expecting a Nintendo console to impress you with its hardware specs, you’re only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hardware will disappoint but the software will be great, as always.
Actually i don't think it will disappoint me personally, it will be miles ahead of Switch 1 so thats a win for me.

Mr Branding

Ps4 equivalent power is ok for me.
What I really hope for is non-driftable sticks and backwards compatibility and it’s a win in my book.

Shifty1897

Why can't it have some form of optional dock to increase its performance?.
What you're asking for isn't economically or technologically feasible beyond what the existing switch currently does in docked mode, which is removing the underclocks put in place in handheld mode to reduce battery consumption.

Putting a second GPU/CPU in an optional dock would make it extremely expensive and require more work for developers to create a third performance profile for their games. Adoption would be extremely low because it's optional and the performance vs price ratio would be much higher vs an Xbox Series or PS5. You see the same situation with those external PC graphics cards that hook up to laptops.

Brigandier

What you're asking for isn't economically or technologically feasible beyond what the existing switch currently does in docked mode, which is removing the underclocks put in place in handheld mode to reduce battery consumption.

Putting a second GPU/CPU in an optional dock would make it extremely expensive and require more work for developers to create a third performance profile for their games. Adoption would be extremely low because it's optional and the performance vs price ratio would be much higher vs an Xbox Series or PS5. You see the same situation with those external PC graphics cards that hook up to laptops.

I'll still be buying it as I am the biggest Xenoblade fan on here even more so than the mighty Danjin44 Danjin44 🤣🤣

But I was hoping for PS4 Pro performance when docked 😔

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The tech doesn't bother me at all because Nintendo always release something special and fun. I've never been disappointed by a Nintendo console. It's always exciting when they finally release one,

It's a day 1 for me no matter what.

Top Bottom