• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Salacious Crumb

Is anyone having problems getting into the game. The ingame play button does nothing when I press it.

360 controller is plugged in but it doesnt even get the chance to CTD. I click Play from the launch and then I get PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working.

Unplug your 360 controller or disable it in device manager.

mr_nothin

Banned
I've never had as many problems as anybody in this thread or in the beta...period. My experience has been pretty smooth and crash free.

MrBig

So the 3 char limit is a bug and will be fixed soon.

Still waiting on them to detail the char transfer process before I buy anything in the store

Arksy

Annoyed that there's only ONE AU server and now they're locking you to one faction per server. So annoying.

MrBig

Annoyed that there's only ONE AU server and now they're locking you to one faction per server. So annoying.

Is the AU server full? They have a couple more servers there that they will bring online if pop demands it. Having multiple factions per server per account would just make it too easy to grief. Most greifers wouldn't be bothered to go through the process of creating a second account.

There should be a little Space Command arcade game to play while you are waiting in Queue.

Put the game in Fullscreen Windowed mode, makes doing other stuff easy

Arksy

Is the AU server full? They have a couple more servers there that they will bring online if pop demands it. Having multiple factions per server per account would just make it too easy to grief. Most greifers wouldn't be bothered to go through the process of creating a second account.

Nah it's medium pop during our afternoon 1pm-3pm so far it will pick up later. I don't think tehre will be enough demand for a few more servers. Just annoying that I've basically been locked into one faction.

FGMPR

Banned
Nah it's medium pop during our afternoon 1pm-3pm so far it will pick up later. I don't think tehre will be enough demand for a few more servers. Just annoying that I've basically been locked into one faction.

Well, it's a payoff that's well worth it considering we actually have an Aussie server.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Where can I find the planetside 2 .ini? Looking to paste the ultra settings in, but can't find it.

Installed on steam, but on my secondary hard-drive, not my SSD. Windows 8.

Log4Girlz

Man this engine is great. Love the art design as well. I had to set all my graphic setting to medium but it still looks great.

MrBig

Man this engine is great. Love the art design as well.

Indeed

planetside2-2012-11-2l0dzt.jpg

planetside2-2012-11-29eflf.jpg

I love that you can follow the volumetric fog shadows of a biolab all the way to the end its cast shadow kilometers away

demolitio

I still think witnessing a sunrise in this game dynamically through the course of a battle is one of the best looking things I've ever witnessed in a game. So damn beautiful.

The lighting in general is amazing really. The night lights up as Vanu bullets fly over my head and explosions kill my comrades, yet I keep pushing on somehow even though I'm looking at the environment more than the enemy. :p

I just had a really good run though capturing a few bases and killed 10 guys in a row by myself somehow in one of their buildings. TR's savior!

Downloaded 7GB+
Went through the process to recover my password
Waited for seemingly forever for the game to launch whilst installing direct x(?)
Tried to log in, couldn't, said my details were wrong.
Went back to my browser and 'verified' my account.
Could now log in.
Installed updates.
Finally got to hit the 'Play button'
Had the game immediately crash.
Realised it was one of those windows 8 games that doesn't like a USB controller plugged in, unplugged it.
Game now failed to load with a different unspecified error.
Tried again.
Game now loaded.
Set up my character.
Australian server is down.

:|

Will try again later tonight.

MrBig

I'm in the US so I'm not sure on the specifics, but I believe you have to go the the eu site and make an account with a separate system. The actual game isn't region specific so I'm not sure why they did it this way.

kitch9

Banned
I'm in the US so I'm not sure on the specifics, but I believe you have to go the the eu site and make an account with a separate system. The actual game isn't region specific so I'm not sure why they did it this way.

I've done that, now it says my login details are invalid.

Good job this shit is free, I'd have put my foot through the PC.

Fuck this game, I thought its just gone through months of Beta?

Have you verified your account through the email? I had to do that.

Shahadan

Apparently the steam version doesn't work with EU accounts yet. I have the same problem.

Cronox

Banned

They're probably ironing out some stuff. Good news is, the higher ups are very easy to get to. Try complaining about it on the official forum, their customer support people are going thread by thread helping people.

On a different note, if anyone is a little underwhelmed by the light assault class (as I was, and still am to some extent), a guy was posting some tutorial videos on the beta forums before they went down. I found his light assault ones the most helpful, but he says some good stuff about heavy assault also.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Played for a couple hours tonight and enjoyed myself, but I am wondering what the incentive to keep coming back will be. I don't feel "hooked" yet, but will likely play more in the future.

Considering I was most interesting in seeing the engine, I was very happy with how smooth everything was. None of the "jank" so to speak that I tend to associate with some of SoE's other games. They're going to have to support a hell of a lot more object density for EQ Next though, so I sure hope it scales well.

Spazznid

Played for a couple hours tonight and enjoyed myself, but I am wondering what the incentive to keep coming back will be. I don't feel "hooked" yet, but will likely play more in the future.

Considering I was most interesting in seeing the engine, I was very happy with how smooth everything was. None of the "jank" so to speak that I tend to associate with some of SoE's other games. They're going to have to support a hell of a lot more object density for EQ Next though, so I sure hope it scales well.

Honestly, it's good to play a few lives to a few hours each night, for me at least. Battlefield was great, but I got tired of losing because nobody communicated or worked together. PS2 never ends so there's that. However, the fact that it doesn't end is also a curse. Some players are used to playing for wins/losses, and no wins usually means boredom. You've got to challenge yourself. Command a squad, lead them to bases and group them up. Form a platoon, and Convoy across the map.

I assure you, when you look at what you've accomplished at the end, you will be hooked.

Things are hectic ATM because of all the new players. It's hard to join a serious squad and especially one that has mics and is actively/strategically moving and working together to capture valuable bases. Give it some time or try to join a guild.

Apparently the steam version doesn't work with EU accounts yet. I have the same problem.
Can't be the problem because plenty of Europeans (including me) are playing. It might be country specific though.

Also when you get UI before everything you probably didn't remove the beta.

Myomoto

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't realise this sooner: If you like to fly the air vehicles it is absolutely critical that you go and bind the 'pitch up'/'pitch down' buttons in the key binding, it will let you do razor sharp loops without even moving your mouse.

Can't be the problem because plenty of Europeans (including me) are playing. It might be country specific though.

Also when you get UI before everything you probably didn't remove the beta.

How old is your SOE account?

Myomoto

Not only this, but any unlocks you unlock with SC are character specific! Really bad move on SOE's part, in my opinion. They've generally been really good at listening to the community during beta, so I think we'll at least see some changes to this stuff down the road.

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't realise this sooner: If you like to fly the air vehicles it is absolutely critical that you go and bind the 'pitch up'/'pitch down' buttons in the key binding, it will let you do razor sharp loops without even moving your mouse.

How old is your SOE account?
I registered the day I got my beta invite which was September 1st.

And yeah binding movement to keyboard keys (or joystick/controllers) has always given people the ability to make faster turns in games with arcade flight models. You do not hav as much control as with a mouse though, so there is a trade off.

Rapstah

I cant even login. Seems like ProsiebenSat1 Games (Germany) doesnt seem to like this game.

They're the publisher (??) if you select France as your country too but the launcher still asks for a Station log-in. Maybe it's just because of server problems though.

Edit: Or wait, are they? The site just says I should use ProsiebenSat1 without any justification.

Top Bottom