• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

For all EU players that are having issues:

First, create an account on http://www.soe.com/ and set your location to be United States.

Download the NA launcher (via steam or the official site)

Log in to the launcher, and when it asks you to select your server (after character creation) the server's region will be displayed, two of which are EU servers.

They are using ProSebian to handle EU accounts, something they didn't do during the beta. I would just completely go around it because there are obviously issues and it doesn't affect anything to do it this way afaik.

If you already have the client downloaded, install the launcher and then cancel the download. Copy the folder "\PlanetSide 2\Resources\Assets" into the new directory, then open the new launcher, click the wrench in the bottom left, and validate install.

I'm not sure. Going with ProSebian was a terrible move by SOE.

BearPawB

Banned
My experience: log in
get team killed by people riding motorbikes repeatedly
Get shot from long range by unseen enemies.
By all regards fail miserably.

I don't know what is going on. Its not fun. And it seems like it would take a year to get any upgrades.

Herla

I shot a rocket at a Liberator.
The Liberator moved at the last moment, dodging the rocket.
The rocket hit the Mosquito that was right behind the Liberator.

I felt awesome.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus it's so laggy. I can't even have a regular 1 on 1 fight in an empty base because the other guy jumps around like we're both on modems or something.

Bros, sorry to say this, but I'm not feeling it. Played all day yesterday, and besides still not feeling ready for prime time, I think they made it too complex.

The first PS was amazing, but they didn't overcook it with menus, thousands of menus and drop down boxes. You got all your certs from the sanctuary, and all your vehicles from one place. You didn't have to zip all over a base to queue up a mosquito.

The base designs are also awful. I haven't seen one large scale battle that was promised in the trailers. More like huge meat grinders of guys trying to storm bases through two doors.

The flight model is janky as fuck too.

Still, I'll give it more time, as PS1 was one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences.

Ledsen

Theres is only one client. But there are two launcher, the SOE launcher and the PSG launcher.
PSG is publishing the game in europe and handles the localisation, marketing, community and payment. No matter where you download the game (Steam, US Site, EU Site) you are always downloading the same client. They only differ in one launcher setting (see here)

Appearently PSG fucked up their account/login server whatsoever which makes their launcher crash. But as an european you can still go to SOE.com and create an non-european account (Canadian e.g) and use the SOE launcher to login and play the game.

Thanks, changing that setting worked. Only problem now is I have no idea what this game is about. Feels like I got dropped in the middle of a cartography course, only with lasers. Played for about 30 mins, ignored all the UI elements since they were too confusing and super small. Also find it hard to know which guys are on my side, the little colored arrows are tiny and sometimes guys don't even have arrows? The environment I was in also seemed to be at night, so I could hardly make out people from the background. Bought two vehicles, first time I accidentally dismounted in the air and fell to my death. Second time I flew around aimlessly, trying to figure out how to view the map without it stopping me from controlling the plane. Failed and got shot down. Might play some more tomorrow.

Go to Planetside 2 website:

Please enable cookies in your browser to continue. In some cases, it is also required that you enable third-party cookies in your browser.

Please check the cookie settings in your browser options.

Lol Sony. Another fucked up mess.

Myomoto

Thanks, changing that setting worked. Only problem now is I have no idea what this game is about. Feels like I got dropped in the middle of a cartography course, only with lasers. Played for about 30 mins, ignored all the UI elements since they were too confusing and super small. Also find it hard to know which guys are on my side, the little colored arrows are tiny and sometimes guys don't even have arrows? The environment I was in also seemed to be at night, so I could hardly make out people from the background. Bought two vehicles, first time I accidentally dismounted in the air and fell to my death. Second time I flew around aimlessly, trying to figure out how to view the map without it stopping me from controlling the plane. Failed and got shot down. Might play some more tomorrow.

Hit 'q' while aiming at a dude to 'spot' him, putting a red/green arrow over his head, depending on if he's friendly or not. Spotting also reveals enemies to your allies.

SOE also produced a series of tutorial videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Vplx-veB4&list=UUeDczpHL6Mm-XrfT0ldALjg&index=8&feature=plcp

Edit: The base layout video is also pretty essential: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-idK9AJ_7Vo&feature=plcp

SJRB

Gold Member
For all EU players that are having issues:

They are using ProSebian to handle EU accounts, something they didn't do during the beta. I would just completely go around it because there are obviously issues and it doesn't affect anything to do it this way afaik.

If you already have the client downloaded, install the launcher and then cancel the download. Copy the folder "\PlanetSide 2\Resources\Assets" into the new directory, then open the new launcher, click the wrench in the bottom left, and validate install.

I'm not sure. Going with ProSebian was a terrible move by SOE.

It completely trainwrecked my DCUO account, so I will forever hate Sony for making this absurd move.

Fuck Prosieben.

Ledsen

Hit 'q' while aiming at a dude to 'spot' him, putting a red/green arrow over his head, depending on if he's friendly or not. Spotting also reveals enemies to your allies.

SOE also produced a series of tutorial videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Vplx-veB4&list=UUeDczpHL6Mm-XrfT0ldALjg&index=8&feature=plcp

Oh, that's why some dudes have arrows. Seems needlessly complicated compared to other shooters? Also, is there any way to increase the size of the UI? It's ridiculously hard to see and read stuff on my 46" TV :/

Myomoto

Oh, that's why some dudes have arrows. Seems needlessly complicated compared to other shooters? Also, is there any way to increase the size of the UI? It's ridiculously hard to see and read stuff on my 46" TV :/

Check options, there's a lot of stuff you can do with the HUD at least. And spotting is practically just directly ripped from Battlefield.

Raven77

So the general consensus seems to be that the barriers-to-entry here are extreme???

Can anyone post some impressions that are not knee-jerk (as in, you played for an hour and got destroyed so you hate it).

MrBig

So the general consensus seems to be that the barriers-to-entry here are extreme???

Can anyone post some impressions that are not knee-jerk (as in, you played for an hour and got destroyed so you hate it).

As anyone that was in the beta for a good length of time can say, the game is what you make of it, you have to have a definite playstyle such as being an infiltrator/support guy for the zerg, or you can play with a few friends in a casual squad or you can hook up with a giant tactical outfit. Just dropping in and running around won't get you a good time, but that is unfortunately the experience of a new player most of the time. The first experience hinges on you getting caught up in a massive semi organized battle, but that doesn't always happen and those that don't get that first awesome experience are the ones that usually walk away disappointed.

When you've found your groove and figure out what you need to do, though, it is the greatest experience in gaming imo. It's certainly on the slightly more hardcore side of gaming.

I have 2 x GTX 680 running 306.97

Is it worth/should I upgrade to the 310.61 Betas?

The newest beta drivers have specific optimizations for PS2, but it won't be compulsory to update until they iron out the physx particle stuff and enable it again

There's not much barriers to it. You aim at people and you shoot.

It's as easy as Halo for pick up and play. There's no number crunching, "learn your class" going on. So the barrier is very low.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Retail has been so much more unstable than the beta, and they need to do something about FF. Sick and tired of half my deaths being from my own team.

Ledsen

Check options, there's a lot of stuff you can do with the HUD at least. And spotting is practically just directly ripped from Battlefield.

Alright, cool. Haven't played Battlefield since 1942, that seemed to work fine without this "spotting" business! Anyway, I'll try to fix the UI.

MrBig

Alright, cool. Haven't played Battlefield since 1942, that seemed to work fine without this "spotting" business! Anyway, I'll try to fix the UI.

I don't think there's a way to specifically resize UI elements. A janky way to do it would be to lower the resolution of the game to whatever looks good and then figure out the percent difference from native to adjust the game's rendering resolution back to native with the "renderquality" option in useroptions.ini

Tzeentch

-- Watched a friend play this for about an hour yesterday. Looked like a total, absolute cluster. It was hilarious in a trainwreck sort of way. Looked terrible on his (pretty decent) system too.
-- I really liked Planetside 1, so I'm hoping this is all just early release teething pain.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
-- Watched a friend play this for about an hour yesterday. Looked like a total, absolute cluster. It was hilarious in a trainwreck sort of way. Looked terrible on his (pretty decent) system too.

So what you're saying is you have come down with acute blindness?

-- lolwhut. The game doesn't look nearly as good as the screenshots here on NeoGaf would have people believe. Not even close.
Yeah, we gaffers have secret screenshotting tools that make them look better...

Yes, it does look that good. And I don't even have everything maxed.

Spazznid

People seem awful annoyed at FF even though their in the warzone... know your surroundings. Make note of usual, "prop down and lay down suppression fire" spots. Know which way the enemy is. Listen to the surrounding area. It's pretty easy to understand where NOT to stand. Most teamkills are from other players walking into another's line of sight without knowing. Communicate and understand your surroundings..

Also, there are FAR more players on atm(compared to beta), so stability is still being worked on.

MrBig

Yeah, we gaffers have secret screenshotting tools that make them look better...

Yes, it does look that good. And I don't even have everything maxed.

Here's some magical screenshots from the last couple hours

planetside2-2012-11-29voln.jpg

planetside2-2012-11-2r3p64.jpg

planetside2-2012-11-20ao84.jpg

Nah, game is artistically and technically visually fantastic. If you've got a complaint about the game it can hardly be about its potential for visual splendor

e: patch for a crashing issue just went live

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
-- lolwhut. The game doesn't look nearly as good as the screenshots here on NeoGaf would have people believe. Not even close.

Weird, the 60 screenshots a second I see on my rig look every bit as good as those magical screenshots here on the GAF.

People seem awful annoyed at FF even though their in the warzone... know your surroundings. Make note of usual, "prop down and lay down suppression fire" spots. Know which way the enemy is. Listen to the surrounding area. It's pretty easy to understand where NOT to stand. Most teamkills are from other players walking into another's line of sight without knowing. Communicate and understand your surroundings..

Also, there are FAR more players on atm(compared to beta), so stability is still being worked on.

Spawn is so fast, it barely matters to me.

People jump on my tank to get run over. I can't help it.

mr_nothin

Banned

I wish there wasnt spotting also, you can disable spotting and the friendly indicators by using CTRL + I

mr_nothin

Banned
Speaking as a pilot, I'm HIGHLY dependant on people spotting tanks on the ground and other aircrafts in the air.

As a pilot, I'm not :p
I wouldnt mind vehicle spotting but I sincerely hate 3D infantry spotting.

Just shoot the ppl w/o the blue triangles over their head

-- I really liked Planetside 1, so I'm hoping this is all just early release teething pain.

This is what I'm hoping as well. I was in the top 100 of all PS players and I loved it to death. I feel there's a great game in here, it just needs a bit more time to stew.

Odrion

Banned
This game crashes right as I hit start. And apparently this is a common issue!

Jesus almighty, isn't there a process in developing a game to ensure that customers can get BEYOND the launcher?

mr_nothin

Banned
Dogfighting is so much easier if you can see the enemy on your mimimap.

They should show up automatically if they dont have stealth on.
Anyone know if this is a legitimate download for a legitimately working vehicle FOV fix or is there any easier way to edit this.

http://segmentnext.com/2012/09/08/planetside-2-changing-vehicle-fov/

Edit: I see that's old as hell and probably won't work.

Is there any official word on the vehicle FOV, because it's terrible.

They've acknowledged it and said it needs to be widened.

RyanDG

Couple of observations:

#1 - When will people learn that until the shield generators are down, you can't shoot people through protected doorways. I can't even begin to tell you the number of people I've watched die shooting at the door thinking that they'll be able to somehow get the guys behind the protective wall.

#2 - Medics... In general, if you are going to attempt to revive me, either A) make sure you kill the guy who shot me first or B) make sure you don't revive me in the line of fire or barrage of tank munitions. Being revived doesn't do me any good if I die immediately afterwards (with your corpse more than likely right on top of mine).

#3 - Vehicles. You do realize you can kill your own teammates, right? So instead of just clearing out of bases as fast as you can without any regards to those on the ground around, make sure you take a moment to look around you first. Yes, you may be in a 7000+ lb steel container and will likely not be damaged by the situation, but that little bump you felt? That was George. And he has to respawn now.

#4 - The in game voice chat is absolutely abysmal and I can definitely see why most people are moving to team speak and mumble (better coordination and a lot smoother sound). It's kind of a shame though that as such (like most MMOs and online games) in game chat is kind of dead which means until I find a mumble to join, I'll likely be playing the game with little organization.

---

With all that said, I really enjoyed my experiences with the game so far. It has a nice fast paced feel and the quick spawns/instant action means that you are hardly just a mouse click away from some fighting. It does really feel that in order to get into a good chunk of the game, joining an Outfit is probably the only way to do so without feeling like you are surviving off scraps. Certifications seem seem to come a little on the slow side right now, but that may be mostly because I was playing horribly last night and mostly just testing a few things out to get a hang of the game. Graphically, it looks pretty impressive, but to maintain the max FPS I can get, I do have the graphical fidelity cut down a bit. Not bad though considering that I'm playing this sucker on a lap toptop right now. If someone wants a screen shot of how the game looks on a Medium rig (to determine if their graphical fidelity will be worth the 7+ gb download), let me know and I'll take a couple next time I'm in game.

The gun play is pretty satisfying with the TR faction, but I don't like the "feel" of the VS or the NC overall. I may find myself switching over to TR unless this changes soon with my VS character.

Flashing characters/teleporting characters does occur occasionally, but its rare enough that it never detracts from the game itself. Aerial vehicles on the other hand seem to have a weird "stutter" to them once in a while that makes hitting them from the ground to be rather difficult (I never can quite figure out just how far I need to lead the shots with them because of it).

I have been in the Dust beta as well, and after playing Planetside 2, I'm not really sure if I'll be going back to Dust at all. I like the idea of Dust's overall metagame, but Planetside 2 is delivering on a lot of the right notes for me right now.

Ricker

Wow so actually unplugging the 360 controller fixed not being able to even launch the game...weird...so anyway,finally made it in,so I am on the Mattheson US East server and the Vanu something side lol...will fill the form soon and try and get an invite tonight...

EDIT: form done.

MrBig

This game crashes right as I hit start. And apparently this is a common issue!

Jesus almighty, isn't there a process in developing a game to ensure that customers can get BEYOND the launcher?

Yes it's a usb related issue. If you have a 360 controller plugged in take it out. It's a shitty bug that hasn't been fixed since the beginning of the beta

They've acknowledged it and said it needs to be widened.

I wonder if their reasoning is to enhance realism or they think it's a cheat for 80 FOV in aircraft especially.

Needs to be the same or higher than infantry, it's the main reason I'm crashing soo much :p.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm about to hop on. If any new players want to hop on with me, I'm willing to help out. I'll show you the ropes. I've gotten a couple of ppl really into the game just by showing them around and informing them of things.

Add me:
MrNothin
Server: Mattherson

Give this game a few days to weed through the ppl that just run head on into battle trying to kill everything in sight. You'll see ppl get smarter and wisen up over time and things will be more spread out and strategic. The same thing happened when they gave out 1000's of new beta keys at once.

Right now, I dont even see any flanking....ppl will just run straight in and dying and keep on doing that until the base is taken. Ppl arent covering the points and would rather just camp on a hill, not caring if they lose the base. And then you have your shield campers where both sides will sit on either end of the shield and wait for someone stupid enough to pop out. I find it funny how ppl are STILL sitting in front of 1-way shields that they cant shoot through but they can get shot by the ppl on the other side. It baffles me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm impressed with how much better the core combat feels than the beta (in and out of vehicles). I still have no idea what is going on but at least I'm having fun just shooting dudes.

mr_nothin

Banned
Even with everything I said, Tech Plants are NOT designed with 300+ player battles in mind. This has to be the dumbest kind of skirmish I've had in my entire time of playing Planetside 2.

Why is the top part inside the Tech Plant just able to shoot down and throw grenades to the bottom? They really need to section that off because whoever's at the top just farms kills from up there easily.

So... is there some sort of tutorial I can read/watch about how to play this game properly?

I jumped in last night, but didn't really know where I was going/what I was doing.

The engine is fantastic, the maps are beautiful, and the scale is staggering. Someone help me get into this game!

Top Bottom