• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

deleted

How do you earn more CERTS? Been playing for around an hour or two and only have 17... Weapons cost like 1000 each....

Buy the mobile spawn point upgrade for the Sunderer, plant it and enjoy a constant stream of XP. It helps when you're an engineer and you keep repairing the Sunderer and plant ammunition and repair tanks and stuff that happen to be nearby. Ranks up your Certs pretty fast.

Kahoona

For some reason this game refuses to install on Steam for me. I click "Play Game" on the store page and it just sends me to the game hub community page. Also, if I try uninstalling the game when I download it off of the official site, it removes the game data, but the launcher refuses to uninstall...it will remove the uninstaller file and remove it from the control panel but everything else is still there.

Anyone else having these types of issues?

Myomoto

Hmm. What can you earn CERTS from? I was killing plenty of people and joining in a few takeovers.

I believe you get a cert for every 250 xp that you earn, and you also get big cert bonuses from getting a set amount of kills with a specific weapon (medals).

How do you earn more CERTS? Been playing for around an hour or two and only have 17... Weapons cost like 1000 each....
Get an XP booster if you have some station cash, join a good squad with a squadleader that issues orders/waypoints follow him to points on the map and capture or defend those. KDR is not important. You get the most experience for taking over and defending bases. Killing, making kill assists, repairing, resupplying, healing etc all happens frequently during the capture and defending of outposts.

nan0

Anyone else getting a completely unusable UI? Every text is replaced by #UI.[nameoftheelement].

Edit: Nevermind, the fix from a few pages before works (changing the language in the launcher to something else and back to English).

Artanisix

Ah alright guys, thanks for the heads up on the CERTS. Hopefully this black friday I can pick up a nice motherboard and an ivy bridge processor, my outdated-as-all-hell athlonIIx4 is giving me some wild FPS which makes shooting not as fun.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Can I use my Planetside 2 Beta download in Steam somehow? I don't feel like downloading this much stuff again.

f0rk

I'm in the UK, I downloaded from Steam yesterday. Have been playing fine on US East with absolutely no problems (until now when the server went down).

It doesn't accept the account I made on the steam launcher.

Geoff9920

As someone who has absolutely zero experience with planetside I played this for a bit last night and it was one of the most overwhelming gaming experiences I have ever had. It was really cool, but at the same time it took me a decent amount of time to get my bearings. Figuring out where I need to go, what class does what, and figure what the different vehicle roles are. I spent the majority of my time just experimenting and trying to figure out the basics. I still have to spend more time messing around with the different vehicles. Overall I had fun, but there are an incredible amount of different mechanics I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

kairotic

Neo Member
While the initial learning curve may seem steep, the mechanics are quite simple. Being in a well organized squad/platoon makes a world of difference. Also, don't be afraid of vehicles! I wouldn't focus to much on the cert/loadout system initially, but just try to enjoy the action and the rest will fall into place.

Man, this game has a certain "essance" to it that I haven't felt since DAOC! I can't wait to get off work and play more.

Yea installed and jumped right in, totally lost outside of killing bad guys. Gonna need to study or do some tutorial stuff to learn all the little things here.

Myomoto

The problem seems to be that the steam client only allows US SOE accounts, and any accounts made in Europe after PS2's launch date seem be flagged as EU SOE accounts. I think you should be able to play with the stand-alone client, though.

kitch9

Banned

Go to Launchpad.ini in the games folder in Steamapps and add "environment=psg" without the quotes to the end, or if environment=something is already there edit that instead.

See if it works.

kitch9

Banned
I played it yesterday just fine.

I've been fucking around with the Steam version for about 2 hours and only just found some kind of fix.

This is the most infuriating fucking dipshit fuck shit fuck of a shitty fuck bastard launch ever.....

RAAAGGGEE!

MJLord

As someone who has absolutely zero experience with planetside I played this for a bit last night and it was one of the most overwhelming gaming experiences I have ever had. It was really cool, but at the same time it took me a decent amount of time to get my bearings. Figuring out where I need to go, what class does what, and figure what the different vehicle roles are. I spent the majority of my time just experimenting and trying to figure out the basics. I still have to spend more time messing around with the different vehicles. Overall I had fun, but there are an incredible amount of different mechanics I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

This was me when I was playing the BETA. Trust me stick with it and see how deep the rabbit hole really goes !

Concept17

Game is awesome. Played quit a bit with friends last night. Spend most the night fighting back and forth between just a few bases. Some really epic battles. Spent my certs on armor, a new scope, and the sunderer spawn utility, with some points left to spare. All in one night. Seems pretty reasonable so far.

The game has crashed twice so far, and there is some jankiness and lag to be had, but nothing game breaking so far. After a 5 hours session my fps were having a hard time going back to normal though. Which is fine, I imagine most my sessions will be shorter than that.

Also - fuck those elevator bases. So damn hard to takeover.

Vlodril

One thing i hate about MMO launches are the queues. 8 mins waiting.. oh well at least compared to every other launch its stable as hell.

f0rk

Go to Launchpad.ini in the games folder in Steamapps and add "environment=psg" without the quotes to the end, or if environment=something is already there edit that instead.

See if it works.

Thanks, that worked.
Now it crashes when I accept the EULA.
Who are these playsieben jokers?

d00d3n

The steam version does not seem to work in Europe. You are asked to create a european account, but the steam version does not seem to recognize european accounts. I guess it might work if you already have an american account from playing other SOE games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, dled game via Steam, went to create account, all went smoothly, logged in on the site to see what's up, not much, tried to login to game, says no account with that info, wut? EU side.

Edit: just read comment a bit above this... Bleh... Won't let me make US account cos it detects I'm elsewhere.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thanks, that worked, it was the PS2 specific site that detected my location and stopped me.

Deband

Buy the mobile spawn point upgrade for the Sunderer, plant it and enjoy a constant stream of XP. It helps when you're an engineer and you keep repairing the Sunderer and plant ammunition and repair tanks and stuff that happen to be nearby. Ranks up your Certs pretty fast.

What do you press to make it into a spawn point? I just drove one for about 5 mins to get it in position then couldn't work out how to make it a spawn point. Happy days.

MrBig

What do you press to make it into a spawn point? I just drove one for about 5 mins to get it in position then couldn't work out how to make it a spawn point. Happy days.

"B" deploys vehicles. S-AMSes may not be deployed within 100m of eachother.

To everyone getting bored or not knowing what to do: join up with a squad/platoon (social page of the pause menu) and communicate with them via the in-game voip/text or tag along with a big outfit (find a stream) or create/join an outfit like the GAF outfits or any of these. This is an open ended, player made game designed around large scale outfit teamplay - if you do not seek out fun it will not come to you. Roaming around aimlessly likely isn't fun for yourself and a large battalion of troops that run into you won't find it engaging to take out a single person.

For all EU players that are having issues:

First, create an account on http://www.soe.com/ and set your location to be United States.

Download the NA launcher (via steam or the official site)

Log in to the launcher, and when it asks you to select your server (after character creation) the server's region will be displayed, two of which are EU servers.

They are using ProSebian to handle EU accounts, something they didn't do during the beta. I would just completely go around it because there are obviously issues and it doesn't affect anything to do it this way afaik.

If you already have the client downloaded, install the launcher and then cancel the download. Copy the folder "\PlanetSide 2\Resources\Assets" into the new directory, then open the new launcher, click the wrench in the bottom left, and validate install.

Ledsen

SOE really don't want people to play their game.

I went to create an account earlier today through the European site. Worked fine and I activated it. So I got home and fired up the game. Logged in. Tells me "For security reasons, you have to change your password". OK? What? I haven't even logged in once and I already have to change my password? So I click the link and get to the password reset screen. Tells me that my old password is wrong. Except it's not, I wrote it down carefully. So whatever, I go to recover my password. Tells me it sent an e-mail, but there is no e-mail. So I try again. Tells me I already used this function. Okay, I go to recover my username, just to get something done. Tells me my e-mail adress does not exist. How is that even possible? I still have my activation e-mail and everything. Okay, so I try to create a new account. Sends me to the European website. Except it's in German. I'm Swedish. Okay, I know the form by heart, so I fill it in. Tells me my e-mail adress already exists. EXCEPT YOU JUST TOLD ME IT DIDN'T. And still no e-mail. And I can't get it to send me another one.

edit: I got them to send me the password reset e-mail by going to the european site manually (instead of through the client) and clicking "forgot password". Except when I change the password and try to log in to the client, it gives me the "you have to change your password for security reasons" shit again. WHAT

Jhriad

Stupid launch happening when I'm out of town visiting family for the holiday. Blah. Gonna have to work my ass off to catch up when I get back.

YoungFa

Theres is only one client. But there are two launcher, the SOE launcher and the PSG launcher.
PSG is publishing the game in europe and handles the localisation, marketing, community and payment. No matter where you download the game (Steam, US Site, EU Site) you are always downloading the same client. They only differ in one launcher setting (see here)

Appearently PSG fucked up their account/login server whatsoever which makes their launcher crash. But as an european you can still go to SOE.com and create an non-european account (Canadian e.g) and use the SOE launcher to login and play the game.

Top Bottom