• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Liberty4all

Banned
I love this game. People saying it doesn't look that good are insane.

At high it looks glorious ... I'm tempted to try ultra although I'm not sure my I52500k rig 8 gig ram and 560TI will be able to handle it.

As for the actual game mechanics "complexity" ... that's what makes it great. A new person can run in, grab a gun, hop on a galaxy and go off to a great fight. Those who put the time in however, will find a deep complex system to keep them engaged for years. And I do mean years ... I know that speaking for myself, the original Planetside ate up years of my life.

The single best advice I can give new people starting out ... go to the social tab and join a squad. Good Outfits (clans/guilds) will run squads ... get into one of those and they try to join that outfit. The fun factor in Planetside lives and dies on those you play with.

Some other basic keyboard controls to be aware of when first starting out:

M = Map
H = Widen MiniMap
E = Eject (bad to do while flying if too high in sky)
F1 - F12 = change seats in armour/air
Q = Spot enemy (helpful for friendly air when spotting tanks for instance)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Boy do you die easily in this game. I'm really going to need to buddy up with someone because even latching myself onto random people as a medic hasn't been too successful.

Boy do you die easily in this game. I'm really going to need to buddy up with someone because even latching myself onto random people as a medic hasn't been too successful.

There's no such thing as a 10+ kill streak in real war. It isn't Call of Duty.

Even being in a heavily armoured vehicle, you're still vulnerable.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

I know it's not Call of Duty, but most of the time I die within two seconds of being shot at. I also never see the person shooting at me. My experience so far reminds me of MAG.

vilmer_

I love this game. People saying it doesn't look that good are insane.

At high it looks glorious ... I'm tempted to try ultra although I'm not sure my I52500k rig 8 gig ram and 560TI will be able to handle it.

I'm running the same cpu @ 4.5ghz with an asus gtx 680 top using the ultra .ini and I get drops into the 30's when there is a lot of action going on :(

AcridMeat

Banned
Are you playing through Steam? Easier to hook up that way.
I was, yeah.

Holy crap is it a bad time to be Vanu on Connery. We're basically down to the last two or so quadrants in the top left map.

Is there any way to make the 360 pad work for flying? The Vanu fighters seem impossible with the mouse.

Liberty4all

Banned
I know it's not Call of Duty, but most of the time I die within two seconds of being shot at. I also never see the person shooting at me. My experience so far reminds me of MAG.

Use your certs to get upgrades to your armour. Some of the first certs only cost 1 certification and give up to 10 percent increase each.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm running the same cpu @ 4.5ghz with an asus gtx 680 top using the ultra .ini and I get drops into the 30's when there is a lot of action going on :(

I've got my CPU overclocked to 4.3 ghz. Game is VERY CPU intensive. Video card isn't as important (I've got a Nvidia GTX 560 ti). With that said I'm not running ultra .ini only using high settings. I don't think our CPU's are powerful enough to run the .ini ultra settings without unacceptable slowdown. Game still looks great on highest settings even if you can't do ultra!

vilmer_

I've got my CPU overclocked to 4.3 ghz. Game is VERY CPU intensive. Video card isn't as important (I've got a Nvidia GTX 560 ti). With that said I'm not running ultra .ini only using high settings. I don't think our CPU's are powerful enough to run the .ini ultra settings without unacceptable slowdown. Game still looks great on highest settings even if you can't do ultra!

It sure does! One of the best looking games I've ever played. Wonder if I can shoot for a 5ghz overclock to maintain 40+ fps :p

Xavien

Couple of observations:

#1 - When will people learn that until the shield generators are down, you can't shoot people through protected doorways. I can't even begin to tell you the number of people I've watched die shooting at the door thinking that they'll be able to somehow get the guys behind the protective wall.

#2 - Medics... In general, if you are going to attempt to revive me, either A) make sure you kill the guy who shot me first or B) make sure you don't revive me in the line of fire or barrage of tank munitions. Being revived doesn't do me any good if I die immediately afterwards (with your corpse more than likely right on top of mine).

#3 - Vehicles. You do realize you can kill your own teammates, right? So instead of just clearing out of bases as fast as you can without any regards to those on the ground around, make sure you take a moment to look around you first. Yes, you may be in a 7000+ lb steel container and will likely not be damaged by the situation, but that little bump you felt? That was George. And he has to respawn now.

#4 - The in game voice chat is absolutely abysmal and I can definitely see why most people are moving to team speak and mumble (better coordination and a lot smoother sound). It's kind of a shame though that as such (like most MMOs and online games) in game chat is kind of dead which means until I find a mumble to join, I'll likely be playing the game with little organization.

*snip*

To be fair, being in a magrider means its incredibly hard to see folks round you and you have to move the entire tank to aim your turret.

That's a tip for newbies in this game, Do NOT stand next to a magrider if you want to stay alive, the mag driver won't even feel you as he squishes you under his anti-gravity thrusters.

Additionally, stay AWAY from vehicle pads, drivers have zero control of the vehicle for a few seconds after spawning, if you're in the way, you will get squished.

I know that's a pretty sweet rig so you'd be expecting better performance, but speaking as someone who has been doing a lot of console gaming over the last few years and playing on an average rig I find this highly amusing!

Flambe

Annoying, constant Launchpad (1-0) can't connect error. Tried tunneling, two decent sized troubleshooting guides, etc. Goddamnit

I had a 12 killstreak during a mass raid as a medic. Stick around in a large coagulated group, squad or non-squad, and you'll lose yourself I in the fun.

Sblargh

Banned
Hey dudes, I'm downloading the game and am from Brazil, so the question is: how much lag breaks the game if my connection isn't good?

MrBig

Is the subscription tied to my character or account?

Account, and the benefits are passive so you wont have to do anything after you purchase it

planetside2-2012-11-2eaita.jpg

golly

Island

So, I played a bit of this and am impressed with its scope. It even pulled me away from playing DOTA 2 for a bit.

Couple questions:
#1 It seems "slow"? Dont know how to explain it, but it feels like my man is running through molasses. Upping the mouse movement helped but it still feels off.
#2 I understand the capture the base type stuff, but the objectives seem vague sometimes and the mechanics of capture aren't clear. What is the blue forcefield that everyone clusters around? Can you eventually get through it? Wish they had made it more clear (without having to watch youtube videos.)

MrBig

Couple questions:
#1 It seems "slow"? Dont know how to explain it, but it feels like my man is running through molasses. Upping the mouse movement helped but it still feels off.
#2 I understand the capture the base type stuff, but the objectives seem vague sometimes and the mechanics of capture aren't clear. What is the blue forcefield that everyone clusters around? Can you eventually get through it? Wish they had made it more clear (without having to watch youtube videos.)

Shift is sprint. Spawn or get in a vehicles if you're going any amount of long distance, or use the instant action feature from the map

Bases are captured by taking and retaining control of a control point. If there are shields up protecting something they will have an icon on them denoting with generator controls the shield, which are destroyed by going up to them and overloading them.

I wonder why they didn't just do the "!" above every important thing with an explanation of what it is when you got close to it like in PS1

Island

Shift is sprint. Spawn or get in a vehicles if you're going any amount of long distance, or use the instant action feature from the map

Bases are captured by taking and retaining control of a control point. If there are shields up protecting something they will have an icon on them denoting with generator controls the shield, which are destroyed by going up to them and overloading them.

I wonder why they didn't just do the "!" above every important thing with an explanation of what it is when you got close to it like in PS1

Cool didn't know about the generator thing. How do you overload it? Shoot it?

The sprint thing I knew about but it feels like sprint should be normal speed and there should be a faster sprint. I just run around with shift held down (is there a lock?)

Jintor

Cool didn't know about the generator thing. How do you overload it? Shoot it?

The sprint thing I knew about but it feels like sprint should be normal speed and there should be a faster sprint. I just run around with shift held down (is there a lock?)

Head up to it and hold E. It'll take a few moments to overload, other guys on the other team can come and hold e and try to fix it, but it it explodes they'll need an engineer to repair it which takes longer. You generally have to take out two generators for a main shieldbase, but it'll tell you on the shields if you need more than one.

Liberty4all

Banned
GAF on Matterson has about 25 members now. We kind of had to open the door to any new players that want in (forumer or otherwise) or it just wasn't going to work. With that said we had a platoon of 30 guys tonight half GAF ruining both TR and NCs day.

we might have been a little TOO effective as the entire NC zerg on Amerish turned on us ... It was a glorious defensive action across amerish until we were able to hold them off at the mines. Great fun.

spk

So, I played a bit of this and am impressed with its scope. It even pulled me away from playing DOTA 2 for a bit.

Couple questions:
#1 It seems "slow"? Dont know how to explain it, but it feels like my man is running through molasses. Upping the mouse movement helped but it still feels off. )

The ADS sens has always been skaty (with or without raw input) and the general sluggishness of infantry combat has been a complaint throughout beta as well. That plus what feels like net lag with 1st/3rd person player movement makes close combat frustrating, don't expect either of them to improve at this point.

As much as I love Vanu's theme.
Fucking god they're so OP atm.
Give them a 1% extra server pop on the other factions and BOOM they dominate the map.

Vanu has been doing really terribly on my server. Their territory movement is always regressive

Enjoying this so far, though I've been playing with randoms and it's understandably chaotic.

I don't understand why other franchises don't adopt this model. DICE says large scale Battlefield isn't possible with the destruction engine, but I would GLADLY trade destruction for the insane scale of a game like this.

There's something about the gunplay that isn't clicking with me yet. I'm VS, so maybe it's the "pew pew laser" thing, but otherwise, really enjoying it. Trekking to a battle, watching 15+ ground vehicles and air vehicles converge...there's nothing like it.

Top Bottom