• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Yeah I changed my mind from a few hours ago. It's pretty good. Still rough around the edges though. I can't wait to see how it plays in a few weeks.

Is there a TR GAF squad on Matherson?

Liberty4all

Banned
So are you guys buying in game money or just playing totally free?

I never expected to play for free. I bought $60 in Station Cash (cost of a retail title), on a 2 for 1 station cash day back in August giving me 12000 SC. Also bought the Alpha Squad pack which came with 4000 SC.

Combined this has given me more than enough cash to unlock lots of weapons, and save my cert points for specializations. The cert gain is so slow and cost to unlock weapons so pricey, it's not worth it to go without putting some cash down. Now I'm debating whether or not to subscribe. I played PS1 for two or three years non stop so I'm likely going to get the subscription too.

With all that said, the game can be really fun even just running around with base weapons. I'm glad though I bought the Alpha Squad pack, that was very much worth the cost.

FGMPR

Banned
I don't quite understand how the chat system works. Going through the key bindings, I can't seem to see the key for text chatting to my squad. The only text chat seems to be 'Enter' and the 'Say' command.

Can anyone help, because the lack of communication is the only thing I'm not liking about this game so far.

demolitio

Yeah I changed my mind from a few hours ago. It's pretty good. Still rough around the edges though. I can't wait to see how it plays in a few weeks.

Is there a TR GAF squad on Matherson?

Not sure, but add "Demo" and we'll wreck shit together sometime. I just won't be on again until I get home Friday.

markot

Banned
I don't quite understand how the chat system works. Going through the key bindings, I can't seem to see the key for text chatting to my squad. The only text chat seems to be 'Enter' and the 'Say' command.

Can anyone help, because the lack of communication is the only thing I'm not liking about this game so far.

/l [text] Local chat. This text will be sent to all players within range of you. Can be seen by enemy players. This is the default mode if no slash command is given in the text box.
/y [text] Yell chat. This text will be sent to all players within range of you (longer range than /l). Can be seen by enemy players
/re [text] Region chat. This text will be sent to all friendly players within the same hex territory. Enemies cannot see the text.
/sq [text] Squad chat. This text will be sent to all members of your squad, regardless of location.
/s [text] Squad chat. This text will be sent to all members of your squad, regardless of location.
/os [text] Outfit chat. This text will be sent to all members of your outfit, regardless of location.
/t [playername] [text] Tell (Private Message). This text will be sent to the player specified.
/r [text] Reply (Private Message). This text will be sent to the last player sending you a tell.

FGMPR

Banned

/l [text] Local chat. This text will be sent to all players within range of you. Can be seen by enemy players. This is the default mode if no slash command is given in the text box.
/y [text] Yell chat. This text will be sent to all players within range of you (longer range than /l). Can be seen by enemy players
/re [text] Region chat. This text will be sent to all friendly players within the same hex territory. Enemies cannot see the text.
/sq [text] Squad chat. This text will be sent to all members of your squad, regardless of location.
/s [text] Squad chat. This text will be sent to all members of your squad, regardless of location.
/os [text] Outfit chat. This text will be sent to all members of your outfit, regardless of location.
/t [playername] [text] Tell (Private Message). This text will be sent to the player specified.
/r [text] Reply (Private Message). This text will be sent to the last player sending you a tell.

Thank you sir :)

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Honestly, it's good to play a few lives to a few hours each night, for me at least. Battlefield was great, but I got tired of losing because nobody communicated or worked together. PS2 never ends so there's that. However, the fact that it doesn't end is also a curse. Some players are used to playing for wins/losses, and no wins usually means boredom. You've got to challenge yourself. Command a squad, lead them to bases and group them up. Form a platoon, and Convoy across the map.

I assure you, when you look at what you've accomplished at the end, you will be hooked.

Things are hectic ATM because of all the new players. It's hard to join a serious squad and especially one that has mics and is actively/strategically moving and working together to capture valuable bases. Give it some time or try to join a guild.

Thanks, that's a great way to look at it. The lack of frequent wins/losses and a defined point where I can pause and compare my stats to everyone on an even playing field definitely contributes to that sense of "what's the point?" that I had. I'll give it a go with some of the other things you mentioned in mind.

The idea of working and communicating together really well with a squad is appealing, for me the trouble is putting in the effort to find one. We'll see where future sessions take me.

Liberty4all

Banned

Some handy ones for squad leaders:

/squad invite (name of player) Invite player to your squad
/platoon invite (name of player) An invite to join your platoon will be sent to that player's squad leader

Also I think /re only works in friendly controlled territory

markot

Banned
Does it matter what faction you choose?

Terran have higher fire rate but lower damage, tanks move fastest but do less damage
Vanu have meadium rates of fire and damage, no bullet drop for some weapons, their tank can strafe
NC have slowest rate of fire, highest damage, their tank is slowest but most poweful.

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks, that's a great way to look at it. The lack of frequent wins/losses and a defined point where I can pause and compare my stats to everyone on an even playing field definitely contributes to that sense of "what's the point?" that I had. I'll give it a go with some of the other things you mentioned in mind.

The idea of working and communicating together really well with a squad is appealing, for me the trouble is putting in the effort to find one. We'll see where future sessions take me.

The key to enjoying the game is linking up with a good outfit. One where you can log on at any time and be guaranteed there is at least one outfit squad rolling. In planetside 1 I got to know all the regulars (like most mmo's really), except instead of killing mobs we killed other people. Good outfits will do fun things like "tank night" or "air night", good outfits also tend to be the ones that get shit started ... Most zergs you see in game started out with 10 - 20 outfit guys hitting a base.

Salacious Crumb

You're a gentleman, I was just about to search for a list of chat commands.

Carcetti

How computer intensive is this game? I loved Planetside but my gaming pc is a few years old already, and I don't want to feel a crushing disappointment when I install and can't run this....

edit: op mentioned it's cpu intensive, and I think my cpu is called 'Intel Core 2 Quad'. I've actively tried to avoid anything to do with pc compoment tweaking for the last years so I'm a bit out of the tech talk...

Log4Girlz

How computer intensive is this game? I loved Planetside but my gaming pc is a few years old already, and I don't want to feel a crushing disappointment when I install and can't run this....

Well it may not look great, but it seems to run pretty good on my whatever rig.

Liberty4all

Banned
You're a gentleman, I was just about to search for a list of chat commands.

Full list:

Originally Posted by markot:

/r [text] Reply (Private Message). This text will be sent to the last player sending you a private message
/squad invite (name of player) Invite player to your squad
/platoon invite (name of player) An invite to join your platoon will be sent to that player's squad leader

Im guessing that /c will let you chat in the command channel if you unlock the cert for it and I'm also wondering if there is a platoon leaders channel (there was one in PS1 I believe it was /pl letting Squad leaders in a platoon converse privately)

Also I think /re only works in friendly controlled territory

We should add these to the OP

Liberty4all

Banned

It's very CPU intensive ... Your CPU is just as if not more important than your GPU

Carcetti

Added this to my last post but here goes: I noticed op mentioned it's cpu intensive, and I think my cpu is in 'Intel Core 2 Quad' series. I've actively tried to avoid anything to do with pc compoment tweaking for the last years so I'm a bit out of the tech talk...

Sarcasm

Is there any tutorial? I just got thrown in and have no idea what to do? I got some basics down..but I am getting raped lol.

demidar

just started playing yesterday but had to stop due to headaches. I really like the super-large scale combat, like a bigger Battlefield game. I was hoping for some quick tips however.

-How do you capture a hex? There's a couple of points per hex that need to be taken but do you just walk up to the points and press 'E'?
-Resources spent on vehicles are per person not from a combined team pool right?
-How is lag handled? Do I have to compensate for lag by firing ahead of my target? (Different from bullet travel time)

desverger

I cannot get this working for the life of me in the EU. The launcher just crashes every time I accept the ToS.

Suppose it's Google time.. guess I should've expected as much being a 2nd rate customer in the EU :p

markot

Banned
Keep getting kicked for 'exclusive violation' >_<

There are so many damn bugs, I can barely play, I cant even log onto the Aussie server for more then 5 seconds.....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I just played a bit and is it me or is this game super unclear?
It basically throws you into an ocean and tells you not to drown. Or drown, it doesn't really give a shit either way.

Still fun though, I eventually learned the basics after about 4-5 hours of dying over and over again. I summoned a flying vehicle once, and then got blown up. Good times.

Divius

It basically throws you into an ocean and tells you not to drown. Or drown, it doesn't really give a shit either way.
That really is what it felt like.

Didn't help my team was getting destroyed (since they didn't know what the hell to do either, I guess). We just got steamrolled by like 15+ tanks/vehicles while we had none.

FGMPR

Banned

Still fun though, I eventually learned the basics after about 4-5 hours of dying over and over again. I summoned a flying vehicle once, and then got blown up. Good times.

...but even drowning in this game is a lot of fun, or at least it has been for me. I've been in a couple of epic battles so far that have been unlike anything I've played before. Whatever this game throws at me, I don't care. I want more of that experience.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Jumped in for about half an hour last night, now that it's out and my mates can play too.

Soooooo much better than beta, there are actually big battles happening now! Spent ages last night defending Tawrich Tech Plant, NC were relentlessly attacking, shit flying all over the place. Absolutely immense battles.

elyetis

Soo much lag...

But it sure is pleasant to see so many player leading to impresive battle. ( where people desepear and teleport because of the lag... )

I played the beta a while ago but wasn't too keen on it, I'd like to give it another go now more people are playing. Will I need to download a new client or can I just boot up the beta one and get auto-updated?

AndyD

aka andydumi

So far all free, but I am willing to spend 15-20 bucks to get some stuff going. But I am trying to understand first how the game and leveling works, so I dont waste money.

Also, the station cash cards are universal, so sometimes you can find mega discounted ones for FreeRealms.

Ricker

Is there any tutorial? I just got thrown in and have no idea what to do? I got some basics down..but I am getting raped lol.

Lol,same here,I got parachuted in the game and died after 5 seconds hehe...so I decided to follow a bunch of people for a while,managed to stay alive for like 10 minutes or so,without any kills though,jumped in an abandonned motorcycle that glitched in the environement and trying to get out of it I comitted suicide apparently...so that was that for my first experience lol...I need to join you guys fast...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I grabbed 3000 SC for $10 when they have the 3 for 1 sale, and honestly I can't see myself spending more once this is gone. The cosmetics so far are pretty dull, I did get a Skull Hat for Medic. Also bought the Chaingun for the Heavy, and I'll probably grab some camo once they let you preview them.

Aegus

I'm having a blast with PS2. All my friends are.

I actually bought the Alpha Squad package, but got addicted to Dota 2 so didn't play at all. So I had some SC. One of my squad was going on and on about a Liberator and Dalton setup so I splashed some cash on that to see what he was going on about

Death From Above for about 1hr. Reign of fucking terror, entire teams wiped out as we swooped in and out of fire.

SparkTR

AS IT SHOULD BE

4iMTL.jpg

It's a pity you can't lock the continent.

MrBig

I'm working on an intro guide in the second post of the OP, check it out now or later when I flesh it out more.

It's a pity you can't lock the continent.

Nah. But yes you will be able to lock continents once there are more than jus the the home conts

Carcetti

I think I'm going in, could really use a guide.

How's the support playing in PS2? I loved driving a troop transport and I usually play support like medics when I can in team shooters.

Completely unplayable on Miller at the moment. I've only tried Amerish but all I got was lag, warping, rubber banding, sudden freezes etc. Not very enjoyable.

Divius

Just had a very fun time. We actually had a dude who was guiding the team and giving hints and tips, very useful. Pretty good feeling to be part of this 50+ wave just capping one flag after the other.

Completely unplayable on Miller at the moment. I've only tried Amerish but all I got was lag, warping, rubber banding, sudden freezes etc. Not very enjoyable.
I was playing Miller as well. Lag was terrible at times.

Top Bottom