• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

I swear to god. Vanu faction on Woodman server is filled with idiots -.-

I lost count on how many times 90% of the people just leave after capturing something, only for the 10% left die defending and losing it again.

Last night, as we were driving the Smurfs and the Purple Space People off the continent, I decided to try something.

As my team was storming one of the bases, I took my prowler, which I had set as an AT variant, up the road a bit in an ambush position. Other vehicles wouldn't be able to see me as they passed. I waited for a minute or two, and then two Vanguards sped past me on the road. I pulled onto the road, and boom, two dead tanks. It was a pretty damn cool moment.

dejan

I've been watching gameplay videos of Planetside 2 and decided to give it a shot. Is it safe to create an european account yet?

Liberty4all

Banned
I swear to god. Vanu faction on Woodman server is filled with idiots -.-

I lost count on how many times 90% of the people just leave after capturing something, only for the 10% left die defending and losing it again.

it pays more to attack XP wise which is part if the problem.

Tacitus_

I've been watching gameplay videos of Planetside 2 and decided to give it a shot. Is it safe to create an european account yet?

I think you would tear out your hair if you tried to play on a server that's across the pond. Anyway, I'm going to start on EU tomorrow.

This game, for some reason, reminds me more of a WW2 game more than a futuristic combat game. Maybe because everything is so close and visceral.

I had another cool moment yesterday. We were advancing in an armored column, approaching a base. As we were rounding a corner, a few Mosquitos started pouring fire into the area ahead of us, throwing up smoke and dust. As we finally came around, a huge battle opened in front of us. It was kind of eerie how quiet the last few moments were before this.

Yes, count me as a believer. This game does rock.

akaoni

Banned
Tried the game out a few times. The TTK is awful in my opinion, someone blinks in your direction and you're dead, encouraging camping too much. I haven't played the original PS, but the TTK was one of my worries for such a large scale 'modern' FPS having kept note of the game. UI/Menus are extremely bloated for a new player. I don't see the appeal of this game outside some tryhard premade looking to stomp pugs. My early thoughts - will play more hoping to find something I like.

MrBig

Any plans for gamepad support? Would love to play this on my TV..

yeah they're still working on analogue stuff, it's really bad right now; I'm terrible at flying with a mouse and need my 360 controller for that :(

I don't know how you'll hit all the 346872463287 buttons you need to press on a controller though.

This game is nothing but a lag fest.

Your connection to whatever server you're on must be bad. The only times I'm seeing bad lag is the occasional guy with a terrible connection popping in and out of existance

mr_nothin

Banned
Tried the game out a few times. The TTK is awful in my opinion, someone blinks in your direction and you're dead, encouraging camping too much. I haven't played the original PS, but the TTK was one of my worries for such a large scale 'modern' FPS having kept note of the game. UI/Menus are extremely bloated for a new player. I don't see the appeal of this game outside some tryhard premade looking to stomp pugs. My early thoughts - will play more hoping to find something I like.

Yea it seems like the TTK has been lowered even more since the last time I've played the beta. I think it's a bit too fast now. It didnt bother me before but now it feels like I get hit 2 times and my shields are gone and my health is already being eaten into.

Issues on Miller (EU) are fixed because I just played without any problems. Someone said in the chat that it was hardware related, maybe someone in the server farm made a mistake. Anyway you should be able to play again if you have an account tied to that server.

mr_nothin

Banned
Same here. It encourages strategic play and positional advantage over brute force, which is pretty big in a game like this.

It really wont. The TTK was a lot higher earlier in the beta and it's been lowered a ton. Nobody has really changed their playstyle because of it. You still have ppl running into situations head 1st. The zerg will always do what the zerg does.

Having the TTK even lower in those huge 500 player battles would be kinda nuts.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I feel like players need an increase in health all around the board, or a decrease in damage all around the board. People just die way too fast.

demidar

What's a TTK?

Anyway some impressions from a nobody:

-I hate the UI so much. Everything blends together and it's difficult to navigate quickly through the many menus. The worst is class select -> loadout select -> loadout screen -> equipment screen -> upgrade screen. It took me more than a few seconds to find the "back" button, subtly sitting in the corner of a busy screen. So many screens.
-No explanation of anything. Okay, there is a wikia for me to read up on, but even then there is still a massive amount of stuff that must be read through. Ideally it should be intuitive but sometimes design isn't conducive to that. For example it took me a while to figure out what each icon was, vehicle and aircraft was easy to tell, but objective stuff was a bit more difficult. The rectangle with arrow pointing down is a capturable point by proximity. Generators (I don't even know what they look like) can be overloaded by interaction (not told), enemy spawn computers can be shot to hell (not told). I don't know why I can sometimes spawn a heavy tank and sometimes spawn a light tank.
-Played as the Red guys (Terran Republic?), I like the feel of the automatic weapons but there's not enough feedback in my opinion. It's pretty hard to see where the dust kicked up so you can compensate your shots. There is also a massive amount of sway when an optic of 3x+ is equipped but that's probably intentional. However in some massive firefights your aim will go all over the place because EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE.
-Vehicles are really goddamn hard to kill unless you have an entire line of guys at the top of a ridge sending down a volley of rockets.
-Purchasable upgrades take a fuckload of time to acquire. Nothing reminds me of f2p more than that. I don't like how it's essentially purchasable power, people who spend money are without a doubt statistically better than you. Luckily I can still kill them most of the time but others might not be able to.
-Snipers everywhere. I fucking hate them.
-Some areas have crazy chokepoints. Like trying to take a Bio Lab through a teleporter room and being a one-way door away from obliteration.
-The medic-gun is a fuss to use. If you revive someone you have to let go of the trigger otherwise you won't heal them when they get back up despite the gun shooting a healing beam.
-Also classes have secondary abilities. I didn't know that until 3 hours in.
-The mini-map is kind of bad. It doesn't display details clear enough, it looks to me as a vomit of rainbows.
-On the topic of colour-coding, it's logically inconsistent. Because I was the Terrans, I assumed that red markers were bad because my allies showed up as blue and green. Nope, stationary markers are in whatever colour your faction is, but actual players are shown in green/blue/red which is inconsistent.
-The feel of a massive war was absolutely nailed. It's great looking out over a plain with two sides firing at each other and every person on the field being a real person. It gives a sense of commotion and clusterfuckery no other game has reached.
-I'm playing on an NA server despite being in AU. Fucking fix the AU server, god.

In conclusion, this game still feels extremely rough, but the concept is solid and things can only go up. Also the game would look excellent on a beastly rig, mine just shits itself when playing.

Blair

Banned
-The medic-gun is a fuss to use. If you revive someone you have to let go of the trigger otherwise you won't heal them when they get back up despite the gun shooting a healing beam.

Agreed. I love playing as medic but sometimes i even have to switch to a gun and shoot it, then switch back to the medic gun to get it to work.

MrBig

I really hope they give an option to make all icons faction colored instead of the general colors. They had said they would get on it but haven't delivered

DSix

Banned
I connected to the US gaf imbued server, and proceeded to be utterly confused by the game for hours. How can I find you guys?

I tried today to create an EU account, and it didn't work whatsoever. So no.
(good thing I remembered I already had a SOE account... which was for planetside 1 haha)

MrBig

I connected to the US gaf imbued server, and proceeded to be utterly confused by the game for hours. How could I even find you guys?

add people from the list on your server/faction and send them a message or a squad invite

Or open up the map and find their number once in the squad, or instant action to the squad leader.

Honestly it's overwhelming for about 2 hours, I wen't in totally blind no tutorials no reading or anything and at 8 hours I pretty much have a deep understanding of all the game's systems.

Just do things and watch things, the game teaches you subliminally.

Also I have like zero lag, and I'm totally in love with this game!

You can just pop in anywhere and do something, like spending 10 minutes waiting for your aircraft by hitching a ride in an airbus and dropping out in some mountains behind enemy lines and sniping as the sun goes down.

Or rollin with like 10 tanks, hopping out and jumping over walls to take a base, then roll to the next base.

You think it's a good idea to pimp out my mosquito first rather than an infantry class, I still suck at mosquito but I'm getting a lot better and I really just love the idea of being a tactical anti-infantry/anti-air pest :p. I'm grinding without paying real money btw.

/rant sorry

Shai-Tan

Banned
"ttk" seems similar to Battlefield to me, maybe a bit longer from close range. If you make it too high you just have people dancing out in the open and the people shooting at them getting frustrated because it seems like their weapons aren't doing anything. The spawn system maybe causes it to feel like people are coming from every direction all the time but it's supposed to encourage you to work with your squad not run around into the enemy spawn over and over

Played as NC last night for a couple of hours. It was amazing!

I've never been involved in battles of such scale before. So much going on, and a real sense of acheivement as our squad took over a base. I think it's just absurd to be able to have so many players and vehicles on such large maps and still look like a million bucks. I was playing on the Australian server (local server!) so everything was smooth for me.

This is the kind of game I've always dreamed of. A massive scale FPS where you feel like you are truly part of a war. I couldn't get into the original Planetside because at the time I was shackled with a 56K modem and a weak PC. But not anymore. Coupled with my new PC, this game feels like it's from the future!

Myomoto

Or open up the map and find their number once in the squad, or instant action to the squad leader.

Honestly it's overwhelming for about 2 hours, I wen't in totally blind no tutorials no reading or anything and at 8 hours I pretty much have a deep understanding of all the game's systems.

Just do things and watch things, the game teaches you subliminally.

Also I have like zero lag, and I'm totally in love with this game!

You can just pop in anywhere and do something, like spending 10 minutes waiting for your aircraft by hitching a ride in an airbus and dropping out in some mountains behind enemy lines and sniping as the sun goes down.

Or rollin with like 10 tanks, hopping out and jumping over walls to take a base, then roll to the next base.

You think it's a good idea to pimp out my mosquito first rather than an infantry class, I still suck at mosquito but I'm getting a lot better and I really just love the idea of being a tactical anti-infantry/anti-air pest :p. I'm grinding without paying real money btw.

/rant sorry

Buy the ground to air rocket pods for the mosquito with real money. You are insanely handicapped without them.

Edit: Also, shooting a full set of rockets into a crowd of enemy dudes surrounding a Sunderer is fucking awesome.

Moaradin

Time to kill is perfect for me imo. If you want more kick on your gun, try out the NC. They have the most recoil out of all of them but also the most damage. Very fun.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think you would tear out your hair if you tried to play on a server that's across the pond. Anyway, I'm going to start on EU tomorrow.

TTK will take longer as people unlock armor/shielding certs (you will survive longer). Everyone has stock equipment right now which means everyone dies fast right now.

TTK = time to kill

Join an outfit that actively communicates and has outfit squads going. This will increase your fun factor by x1000 . It's almost like its a different game playing with friends compared to playing alone.

RyanDG

If any Terran Republic players are out there on Matt, feel free to add me in game... The character name is Wautt. After two days of floundering I've almost got my K/D ratio above 1.0 for the first time. I'm really enjoying the Heavy Assault character, but I went on a tear earlier today as an engineer as part of an armor convoy.

DSix

Banned
Join an outfit that actively communicates and has outfit squads going. This will increase your fun factor by x1000 . It's almost like its a different game playing with friends compared to playing alone.

Seems right. But how do I do that?

Xyber

So I had no problems launching the game during the beta, but now it crashes every time I press play game in the launcher. I've already tried all compatibility settings and no success.

"So I had no problems launching the game during the beta, but now it crashes every time I press play game in the launcher. I've already tried all compatibility settings and no success."

Do you have a gamepad connected?

Liberty4all

Banned
Seems right. But how do I do that?

Are you on Matterson and playing Vanu? Add me as a friend if so and I'll invite you ... I have to be logged on to invite.

GAF outfits and servers they are on are in the OP.

If there is no GAF outfit on the server or faction you are on then press escape and click on social. There will be a list of active squads you can join, many of which will be advertising they are recruiting.

Impressions remind me of World War II Online/Battleground Europe but F2P and I guess with an smaller scale. Am I right?

I'll have to give it a try soon :)

Liberty4all

Banned
Impressions remind me of World War II Online/Battleground Europe but F2P and I guess with an smaller scale. Am I right?

I'll have to give it a try soon :)

Bigger scale. I played WWII online briefly. PS2 captures the feel of a massive war/conflict like no other game ... Except maybe PS1.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
So I had no problems launching the game during the beta, but now it crashes every time I press play game in the launcher. I've already tried all compatibility settings and no success.

This just started happening to me. I have played quite a bit already and a lot in beta and this is the first time it's happening to me.

Before the load screen appears a ps2.exe error comes up.

Liberty4all

Banned
This just started happening to me. I have played quite a bit already and a lot in beta and this is the first time it's happening to me.

Before the load screen appears a ps2.exe error comes up.

Disable behaviour shields in your anti virus. Might work I had a similar problem in the beta.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Disable behaviour shields in your anti virus. Might work I had a similar problem in the beta.

Tried that and unplugging 360 controller, still happening. I was just playing an hour ago. I'm going to try restarting my computer to see if that magically fixes it.

EDIT: restarting my computer fixed the crashing. lol

vocab

game looks too washed out and overly bright for me. I messed with my desktop settings, and can't find a middle ground in this game. I can only play for like 20 mins before my eyes hurt like hell.

MrBig

game looks too washed out and overly bright for me. I messed with my desktop settings, and can't find a middle ground in this game. I can only play for like 20 mins before my eyes hurt like hell.

Put it in windowed fullscreen mode or turn brightness all the way down

akaoni

Banned
TTK will take longer as people unlock armor/shielding certs (you will survive longer). Everyone has stock equipment right now which means everyone dies fast right now.

TTK = time to kill

Update;
I can actually kill people now in a firefight and I don't feel like a piece of paper. The issue is the menus being horrible in my opinion. I didn't realise the really easy to get (and ESSENTIAL) upgrades were there. I can actually dictate a fight a little more simply from my experience in shooters over the years since I can react. That said I'm still coming across players who don't have these simple upgrades, and I feel guilt when I kill them. I joined a big squad using the social menu, just being able to see where 30+ teammates at all times makes a big difference. Love seeing that Sunderer (big truck thingies) convoy.

Top Bottom