• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Liberty4all

Banned
Update;
I can actually kill people now in a firefight and I don't feel like a piece of paper. The issue is the menus being horrible in my opinion. I didn't realise the really easy to get (and ESSENTIAL) upgrades were there. I can actually dictate a fight a little more simply from my experience in shooters over the years since I can react. That said I'm still coming across players who don't have these simple upgrades, and I feel guilt when I kill them. I joined a big squad using the social menu, just being able to see where 30+ teammates at all times makes a big difference. Love seeing that Sunderer (big truck thingies) convoy.

Yup. The first health upgrade adds 10 percent I believe and costs 1 cert.

Ok I have a GTX 670 and I cannot get PhysX to work, the option is greyed out in the option menu, is there any hoops I have to jump thru to get this to work?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Anyone know any good, reasonable active outfits to join? I can fly my Galaxy upside down and AFK at important moments.

Really, I like to play Support

It's strange that lowering the graphical settings does nothing for the framerate. I get between 20 and 35 on my system, which is a bit low for proper play.

I also find the response to ability activation (heavy) to be somewhat slow. Activating the shield gives like a second of extra life, but you pretty much bite the dust. Only the infiltrator is fucked when then meet a heavy, as far as I can tell.

I like the concept and all, but performance really is an issue for me at this time.

(but then what can you expect with a 460GTX and a AMD CPU?)

Menus could use pruning though. Finding those upgrades was downright messy. But those first few (three?) should at least give me some fighting chance.
(but then again, I don't know whether a heavy is a class I want to keep playing... aside from the whole "can actually fight vehicles")

Now to explore the social options. gaf-squad for irregular players?

spk

Anti Air is abysmal in this game. Even the shittiest aircraft with rocket pods can destroy anything below them and outfly homing rockets with not much difficulty, and against upgrades the rockets are even worse. VS weapons usually get beat out by TR because RoF is the most important attribute, followed by damage, when there's little damage deviation between guns and the drop off is negligible at most ranges. VS spread and slower bullet speed aren't worth the near useless drop off benefit when compared to the other factions
I also find the response to ability activation (heavy) to be somewhat slow. Activating the shield gives like a second of extra life, but you pretty much bite the dust. Only the infiltrator is fucked when then meet a heavy, as far as I can tell.

Not to mention the equip->fire speed is slow. I find Infiltrator a chore to play when sniping is tedious and the cloak and sensor darts are ineffective

Killer

Banned
Your connection to whatever server you're on must be bad. The only times I'm seeing bad lag is the occasional guy with a terrible connection popping in and out of existance

I just played this morning and it was much MUCH better. Maybe it was something on their end? cause one of my friends told he was having the same problem.

Do you guys recommend get the monthly subscription or buying spacebucks? I don't know how long i'll be playing this but so far i'm enjoying it a lot.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
One day promo for Double Station Cash today (NA only I assume since Pro.Sieben handles the Euro side). For those new to SOE games, it's basically a 50% off sale on SC. $5 will get you 1000 SC instead of the regular $10 price, $10 will get you 2000SC instead of the regular $20 price, etc....

VRJFN.jpg

One Day Only on Black Friday*: just buy Station Cash in-game, online, or redeem an SOE pre-paid game card for Station Cash to get Double!

*Offer is valid between 12:01AM PST 11/23/12 and 11:59PM PST 11/23/12. Excludes purchases of Station Cash by SMS payment.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-black-friday-with-double-station-cash.48849/

Killer

Banned
One day promo for Double Station Cash today (NA only I assume since Pro.Sieben handles the Euro side). For those new to SOE games, it's basically a 50% off sale on SC. $5 will get you 1000 SC instead of the regular $10 price, $10 will get you 2000SC instead of the regular $20 price, etc....

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-black-friday-with-double-station-cash.48849/

Oh man now are making this harder on me :(. How much SC needed to get you started with essential gear?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Oh man now are making this harder on me :(. How much SC needed to get you started with essential gear?
No idea, my PC cant run the game lol. I saw the promo on my twitter feed via DCUO and figured some people here might want to take advantage of it.

FWIW though, I wouldn't dump too much cash into it. Last year they ran a triple SC promo right before Christmas. At the very least, I'm sure they'll have another double promo before Christmas.

Cronox

Banned
It's strange that lowering the graphical settings does nothing for the framerate. I get between 20 and 35 on my system, which is a bit low for proper play.

I like the concept and all, but performance really is an issue for me at this time.

Menus could use pruning though. Finding those upgrades was downright messy. But those first few (three?) should at least give me some fighting chance.
(but then again, I don't know whether a heavy is a class I want to keep playing... aside from the whole "can actually fight vehicles")

Now to explore the social options. gaf-squad for irregular players?

You're FPS is being limited by your cpu. You might try enabling the centralized HUD, some people have had slight frame rate increases with that, but mostly this game is working your CPU hard, and unfortunately it's not balanced across all cores (dual or quad), so the ability of a single core to do heavy lifting is more important than usual. I sympathize, as I upgraded from a worse computer than yours where I was getting 15 fps or less in medium sized battles. This game was the impetus for that upgrade...

Killer

Banned
No idea, my PC cant run the game lol. I saw the promo on my twitter feed via DCUO and figured some people here might want to take advantage of it.

FWIW though, I wouldn't dump too much cash into it. Last year they ran a triple SC promo right before Christmas. At the very least, I'm sure they'll have another double promo before Christmas.

Thanks for the heads up! I might buy few things just to get me going :).

700 SC Infantry Starter Bundle is worth it, for Vanu anyway

I'm a Terran :/. I'll give it a look though. thanks.

nan0

Have you lowered the render distance in the UserOptions.ini to something like 1000 or 750? That really helped on my system, since the default distance is set to an insanely high value.

Have you lowered the render distance in the UserOptions.ini to something like 1000 or 750? That really helped on my system, since the default distance is set to an insanely high value.

Going to try this later on today.

My fps absolutely tanks in heavy fights so I'll take anything I can get for higher fps.

Liberty4all

Banned
I just played this morning and it was much MUCH better. Maybe it was something on their end? cause one of my friends told he was having the same problem.

Do you guys recommend get the monthly subscription or buying spacebucks? I don't know how long i'll be playing this but so far i'm enjoying it a lot.

I did both for now.

Liberty4all

Banned
threw together a quick site for the GAF VS Outfit - gafvs.guildportal.com

Thanks Anton.

That's the forum for the Matterson GAF Vanu Outfit. All are welcome. We threw open the doors to the outfit to anyone and everyone (as there weren't enough of us on at any one time to make the Outfit work). We have 40 members now, which is great, and still growing!

Myomoto

General advice for people intending buy stuff for smedleybucks, keep an eye out for the bundles in the store. Seems to be 3 each week, and they're crazy valuable in terms of savings.

Rufus

I can't log in with the account I just created. Is this a known issue? edit: Nevermind, EU problems. Seems we're getting the wrong launcher via Steam. Still don't understand why I can't log into the account even going through the website, but OK.

RyanDG

Question: If I'm just sitting in the back of a sunderer capping points with my team, don't I get any xp?

As long as the sunderer is in range you will. A couple of days ago, I was playing with a group and the driver was always just a few moments to late for the capture, so he would just drive us around the base until it flipped, got us the xp, and then raced to the next location (failing to get there for the action again).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, revival and healing is so weird.

With revival, sometimes the meter gets full and nothing happens. I know they have to accept revive, but do you only get points if they accept? And can I let go once full and walk away?

And with healing, is it first medic heals the rest do nothing?

Maybe its laggy, or maybe I am not sure how to do it well.

So tempted to spend actual money in this game, but it's so addicting that I feel I can play enough to actually save up enough cert points.

Still hate F2P though, I would have bought this for $50 if it included everything now and forever in a second.

Killer

Banned
So tempted to spend actual money in this game, but it's so addicting that I feel I can play enough to actually save up enough cert points.

Still hate F2P though, I would have bought this for $50 if it included everything now and forever in a second.

I hate F2P too. What makes it worse is that the game has tons of unlocks and i'm not sure what to spend my certs on.

btw, there's a black friday deal that gives you double the SC you are buying.

I hate F2P too. What makes it worse is that the game has tons of unlocks and i'm not sure what to spend my certs on.

Not to turn this into a f2p debate thread but yea, soo many unlocks.... Honestly I really miss the old days free of unlocks and lvling up in shooters, not even to mention f2p.

Game would be running on full steam with the chaos set to maximum if the entire arsenal was available, and not differentiated on one thing be better than another, as is the case with most unlockables, but one thing being different than another....

So far I've pump cert points into mosquito speed and stealth, I like it as a fast personal vehicle to get in bel and snipe. Probably up my infiltrator sniper rifle next.

Tacitus_

Finally got this installed. Now I'm sitting in a queue with apparently 0 other users and its stuck at calculating estimated time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They need to do something about teamkilling, something is up when half my deaths are from my own team.

Talamius

The game needs the ability to transfer your character to another server. It's a stunning omission in a F2P game.

The game itself is great but I refuse to pay SC for the same unlocks twice.

Tacitus_

Is the queue borked? The only way it moves if I requeue and if I happen to hit 0 queue it just doesnt do anything. Lower pop servers work fine...

Killer

Banned
Not to turn this into a f2p debate thread but yea, soo many unlocks.... Honestly I really miss the old days free of unlocks and lvling up in shooters, not even to mention f2p.

Game would be running on full steam with the chaos set to maximum if the entire arsenal was available, and not differentiated on one thing be better than another, as is the case with most unlockables, but one thing being different than another....

So far I've pump cert points into mosquito speed and stealth, I like it as a fast personal vehicle to get in bel and snipe. Probably up my infiltrator sniper rifle next.

We have COD to thank for that.

Anyway, i think this game meant to be played for years to come so everything will get unlocked eventually. A developer said that spending real cash on the game will only speed up unlocks by %30.

Top Bottom