• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

You're FPS is being limited by your cpu. You might try enabling the centralized HUD, some people have had slight frame rate increases with that, but mostly this game is working your CPU hard, and unfortunately it's not balanced across all cores (dual or quad), so the ability of a single core to do heavy lifting is more important than usual. I sympathize, as I upgraded from a worse computer than yours where I was getting 15 fps or less in medium sized battles. This game was the impetus for that upgrade...

I have an AMD X6 1100T... it should be enough... :\

I imagine the CPU is not being used optimally though, but I haven't checked with a performance log or anything.

Have you lowered the render distance in the UserOptions.ini to something like 1000 or 750? That really helped on my system, since the default distance is set to an insanely high value.

no, I haven't. Thanks for the tip. The in-game option of 'render quality' doesn't seem to do anything useful.

I have an AMD X6 1100T... it should be enough... :

I imagine the CPU is not being used optimally though, but I haven't checked with a performance log or anything.
I'm using a 720x3@3.2GHz and I have roughly the same performance as you, doesn't make a difference if I mess with the graphics. Would indicate that it's down to a few cores to do all the lifting as the guy above said.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
tempted by the premium membership, God Help Me.

Anyone else's voice/mic borked? Seems like others could hear me, but I couldn't hear them (except once, but it was really quiet/low volumed)

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It's amusing that I keep running into several bugs that I have seen since early July. Oh SoE, never change.

MrBig

Anyway, i think this game meant to be played for years to come so everything will get unlocked eventually. A developer said that spending real cash on the game will only speed up unlocks by %30.

This is probably one of the most important things to keep in mind regarding unlocks. The first planetside had years of content being added and then was left in the hands of the community. There was nearly a decade gap between these two games. SOE has a loose plan for 5 years of direct content support already.

Cronox

Banned
Lets talk about how bullshit it is that XP boosts are exclusive to one character/server.

Ugh.

Currently a lot of complaining on the official forums about SC unlocks (boosts, weapons, cosmetics) being character locked, rather than faction/account. A customer service rep said they had forwarded it to the higher ups so hopefully we'll hear something soon. Soon could be a while though, as I'm sure priority is on fixing launch bugs...

Anyone want to play with me? I am going to be writing my review in a few days and need as much playtime as I can get.

Server: Connery
ID: JonnyBigBoss

MrBig

checking on the stats for GAF, it's nice to see most of you joining the glorious Vanu

If you're on mattherson be sure to hook up with Bamelin and get in on the GAF outfit for some organized gameplay

I'll be away from home for an indefinate amount of time and could be without PS2 for weeks

RyanDG

is there controller support?

Not only is there not controller support... The game has anti-controller support. Yes, that's right. The game won't even start with a controller plugged in.

Johnny - I can start up a character on Connery to play around with. I'll friend you in game, but it won't be until later tonight. I'm off all weekend though so I'm planning on being on at least a few hours each day the next couple of days.

Lonestar

I love the added sound effects when a large base is captured. Like the sounds of a giant machine turning over.

checking on the stats for GAF, it's nice to see most of you joining the glorious Vanu

If you're on mattherson be sure to hook up with Bamelin and get in on the GAF outfit for some organized gameplay

I'll be away from home for an indefinate amount of time and could be without PS2 for weeks

I think you mean Van-ewwwwww.

How do I join the list? Is there a Steam group?

Anton668

Anyone else's voice/mic borked? Seems like others could hear me, but I couldn't hear them (except once, but it was really quiet/low volumed)

never really tried the voice. heard it was borked.

set up a RaidCall server just in case, being easy and well.. free, for the GAF VS outfit.

raidcall.com

group ID# 5290382

MrBig

How do I join the list? Is there a Steam group?

gafplayers.png

New players fill out this form: Planetside 2 GAF Players

This is for the primary soldier that you'll use to play with other GAF players; you may submit any other soldiers you want people to be able to find you as on other servers.

The NeoGAF player list can list can be accessed here. Sort the list by your faction of choice and send out friend invites after you submit your own character to the list.

Graph data can be viewed here.

Enco

Im having a great time with the game and still haven't felt a need to buy anything at all. Good stuff
This.

The game is pretty amazing. So much fun with a squad of friends.

The graphics are beautiful too. The textures aren't stunning but the game shines at night with all the bullets and flashing lights.

Great game that came out of nowhere for me.

The game is so laggy. There's rubber banding everywhere and people die sometimes minutes later. It's making reviewing it very difficult.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The game is so laggy. There's rubber banding everywhere and people die sometimes minutes later. It's making reviewing it very difficult.

I have experienced lag once (lasted a minute) in close to 10 hours played time. Which server are you on?

As a EU player, what would be the best server to make a new character to play with most (EU) GAFfers?

Because I have a character on Cobalt and one on Soltech, as does one other person on both. :(

edit: never mind, Miller is quite full. Cobalt isn't though.

edit2: woot, got a place on mattherson. That wasn't full yet, apparently.

BUGSBUGSBUGS there. Already filled in a Cobalt position on the form though.

and as new conglomerate... because I act before thinking, yay.

Hari Seldon

This game is awesome. I normally hate f2p games but this is definitely a diamond in the rough. I subbed because I like it so much and want to give these guys some money. I figure the xp boost will be more beneficial now that I am addicted than later when I just play casually.

Plumpman

sup with the ground and some buiding textures, i have everything on high but they still look blurry as hell

In Useroptions.ini from the OP, set texture quality to 0 and render quality to 1.2

It makes everything less blurry but also reduces performance, which makes sense why the ingame options only go so high.

I had to switch back to default limits because 25-35 fps in battles isn't tolerable with a twitch shooter >.<

JLuke2600

I have an AMD X6 1100T... it should be enough... :\

The in-game option of 'render quality' doesn't seem to do anything useful.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-note-on-optimization.49152/
AMD users are getting the short end of the stick until they make more progress. It's still in a similar state as it was in the beta. If 'render quality' doesn't affect your performance, that suggests that you're CPU bound.

Liberty4all

Banned

Where are you going big? :(

Liberty4all

Banned

You need to fix your voice settings in the game settings. Once I did that everything was fine.

Soktos

Last night was some of the most memorable gaming in recent history. It was myself, Bamelin, and a few more Gafers (I forget your names... my apologies). We were moving as a unit, advancing where needed, and all in all having a great time.

I love this game.

All I need is a new video card. ;)

Liberty4all

Banned
Last night was some of the most memorable gaming in recent history. It was myself, Bamelin, and a few more Gafers (I forget your names... my apologies). We were moving as a unit, advancing where needed, and all in all having a great time.

I love this game.

All I need is a new video card. ;)

Soktos got to experience my new anti armour secondary gun on my mag. It's a laser ... He took down a liberator with it :O.

We killed so many vanguards we couldn't even get through the road because of their smoking ruins. Hell we even ran out of ammo in BOTH guns and then died while trying to find a place to reload.

Epic mag run.

I'm really enamored with this game. It has its issues - I think grenades need to be toned way down - but Planetside 2 is the first game where I've truly felt like a soldier in the middle of an epic land-air conflict. Supporting infantry assaulting a base by sniping on a ridge outside with a gaggle of infiltrators, watching the tanks roll in is such a cool experience. It can really be breathtaking at times.

I'm finding the most success when my friends and I move as a team of 3-4. Small enough that we're discrete, yet large enough to take on groups nearly twice our size, provided they aren't property organized. (voice chat, etc) Our preferred group make-up is Medic/Medic/Engineer/Heavy Assault. It works out really well.

Lonestar

had good times earlier, but it was Meh town just now. Stuck on Amerish, I guess the continents were on lockdown. Amerish was lost to VS, nothing but the Warpgate and a cutoff bio base.

Let me know when some dedicated group action is about to start.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have mad respect for anyone who can fly in this god damn game.

Shit makes no sense.

Animator

Here is a tip for insane amount of certs:

get one month of premium membership, you instantly get %25 more xp + 500 sony bucks. With the sony bucks get the %50 xp boost 7 days, which stacks with premium membership xp, make certs hand over fist.

markot

Banned
I dont understand the physics, but running over like 6+ people with the VS heavy tank was awesome >.< Dont group up next to sunderers!

Most here are on Mattherson

This game is really amazing. Had some team battles earlier and got a friend hooked to it as well.

Are there any good guides for the "best" guns, etc. per class?

Top Bottom