• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Animator

I have mad respect for anyone who can fly in this god damn game.

Shit makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense and is easy. Think of it like flying a chopper and not a jet and you won't crash again. You have to consistently use the space bar to manage your altitude or you will crash.

jabuseika

Not only is there not controller support... The game has anti-controller support. Yes, that's right. The game won't even start with a controller plugged in.

Johnny - I can start up a character on Connery to play around with. I'll friend you in game, but it won't be until later tonight. I'm off all weekend though so I'm planning on being on at least a few hours each day the next couple of days.

Is this true?

I haven't tried the final release yet, but in the Beta I was happily flying my Scythe around with my DualShock3 controller.

The gamepad also worked with ground combat, but it felt awkward to me, and I prefer the mouse in any case.

I wonder why they would take it out.

Is this true?

I haven't tried the final release yet, but in the Beta I was happily flying my Scythe around with my DualShock3 controller.

The gamepad also worked with ground combat, but it was awkward anyway.

It gave pilots with controllers an unfair advantage.

Was part of a number of large raids on TR/NC positions on Esamir and Indar.

It's really cool just seeing Sunderer's and tanks rolling up on an enemy base while taking out anything that gets in the way.

Also I learned that you shouldn't stand anywhere near the generator when it blows. We had about 30+ people shooting at it in one room and we all died when the thing exploded.

jabuseika

That's true.

It's still a PC game thought, and I should be allowed to use what ever hardware I want.

I have a Macro Keyboard and a Gaming Mouse, wouldn't those also give me an unfair advantage? (Rhetorical)

Weird decision to take out something so minor.

Noaloha

Is this true?

The gamepad also worked with ground combat, but it felt awkward to me, and I prefer the mouse in any case.

I've been playing since official release with no problems. An Xbox controller is plugged in (that I don't use) and I'm playing the game with mouse + G13 keyboard with its thumbstick registered as analog controller (joystick-1) in-game. I've ran across the crash-at-PLAY-button issue once only.

DTKT

I have a 670 and a i5-750 and I'm fluctuating between 30-40 during really heavy battles.

That's normal?

vocab

I have a 670 and a i5-750 and I'm fluctuating between 30-40 during really heavy battles.

That's normal?

I have a i5-750 @3.7 and 670 FTW. Those heavy firefights feel low. I haven't checked the numbers, but they seem normal with all the shit that's going on. The game isnt what Id call super smooth.

I've been playing since official release with no problems. An Xbox controller is plugged in (that I don't use) and I'm playing the game with mouse + G13 keyboard with its thumbstick registered as analog controller (joystick-1) in-game. I've ran across the crash-at-PLAY-button issue once only.

iirc the game had 360 controller support early in the beta but then a lot of pilots became godlike in the skies because of it. Since SOE is sloppy with removing all traces of 360 support existing, for most people having a 360 controller plugged in crashes the game at launch now.

Killer

Banned
Miller has to be the worst server. Lag, long que and server downs. Just name it.

Does anyone know how can I get auto-lock rocket launcher?

iirc the game had 360 controller support early in the beta but then a lot of pilots became godlike in the skies because of it. Since SOE is sloppy with removing all traces of 360 support existing, for most people having a 360 controller plugged in crashes the game at launch now.

That's a good thing, what is wrong with being godlike in the skies lol.

Also someone help, I'm crazy addicted!

PatzCU

I really want to like this game, but the server lag is just outrageous. I feel like I'm playing Quake on a 56k.

I'm having a hard time with controlling the Gauss SAW... I persist, but it has a mean recoil. I haven't worn NC colors before and there are the last of the factions, so I'm beginning to pick out which one I keep. The Vanguard is powerful, but I think the Prowler is a better tank. The Magrider is tough to factor for tank roles, but I like it's mobility more than I it's gun. I believe the TR pistol to be superior, for now.

Did anyone else know you could trial weapons every eight hours or so?

I think the MCG is the superior HA weapon, and I love the Reaver's default cannon.

Spazznid

Controller works.
Wireless 360 one here works, and the only issue I have is no analogue trigger support (you can't bind Aim and Shoot to the triggers and use them at the same time...) and in Vehicles the sensitivity seems crazy high, even when I try to change it.

Maybe plugged ones are having issues atm, but it will be fixed.

MrBig

Yeah the controller issue is an issue only on W8 afaik and is unintentional. Last I heard they've always had it working in-house and haven't been able to get a repro case to fix it

Someone reported that using the dinput8.dll from somewhere in C:\windows in the PS2 dir fixed it, but I never got around to trying it

analogue support isn't good atm from what ive heard though

e: try weapons by going through the steps to purchase it, trial will be under purchase options

demolitio

That's pretty stupid since PC is all about playing how you want and plenty of hardware and even graphics help give people an advantage more than a controller would for flying. Plenty of mouse pilots can compete with the best of the controller pilots in BF3 too.

Cronox

Banned
According to the player sheet, you are all playing dirty vanus. That's not okay. :p

Hey, I was VS before it was cool!

Since the beta for Planetside 1 in fact. Feels kind of weird to not be the underdog for once. Even in beta VS was usually lower population.

So my game was running more terrible than normal and guess what the cause was?

I unknowingly recorded 20GB of movie by pressing page up lol.

Yaska

I shamelessly ask for a invite to the Vanu gaf outfit on Mattherson. Also game starts just fine with my Razer Orza controller thingy plugged in.

SmartBase

It's so goddamned hard to find a squad in this game that doesn't have everyone on opposite ends of the map with no squad waypoints.

I'm enjoying the game otherwise.

Liberty4all

Banned
Here is a tip for insane amount of certs:

get one month of premium membership, you instantly get %25 more xp + 500 sony bucks. With the sony bucks get the %50 xp boost 7 days, which stacks with premium membership xp, make certs hand over fist.

Does that include passive cert gain? I'm seriously tempted just to get over the hump. Weapons wise I'm pretty good now, but certs are excruciatingly slow. I think I got 80 tonight in 7 hours.

Liberty4all

Banned
It's so goddamned hard to find a squad in this game that doesn't have everyone on opposite ends of the map with no squad waypoints.

I'm enjoying the game otherwise.

Not my squads. One of the first certs I got was the spawn beacon that allows my crew to orbital drop where I place it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I have mad respect for anyone who can fly in this god damn game.

Shit makes no sense.

Use to go full speed through forests in PS1.

First time here, I got in a plane and flipped it over in 50ft with a crash. I'm still crashing into the ground and still can't aim and move properly.

Its going to take some time.

Liberty4all

Banned
How do you blow up the generators protected by orange force fields?

I believe you are talking about the tech plant (or it the amp?) layout.

There are 2 sub generators on either side of the base one that controls the blue shields that block friendly tanks from coming in and another that puts shields around the enemy tank spawn area. These sub generators will be clearly marked on your map.

There is another generator near the control point area that when knocked out will drop the orange shields protecting the final generator -- this final gen knocks out the enemies respawn tubes.

To blow generators walk up to it and press E to start an overload. Shooting them does nothing. Oh and don't stick around for the overload. Minimum safe distance.

Spazznid

Yeah, make your own squad, use your Mic, and name the squad something nice. People usually listen to me when I use my Mic as squad leader.

Also, if you can't make around 10-20 certs per hour, then you just need more practice. Learn where to go, what to shoot at. At first glance it may seem like everybody is zerging, but some players actually use the zerg to their advantage.

If all else fails, go medic and heal or go engie and find a max to follow. It's a bit less fun sometimes, but easy certs.

Zona

How do you blow up the generators protected by orange force fields?

All shields have a symbol on them, look for that symbol on the map and or floating over a generator and blow it up. I'm going to assume your talking about the SCU's force fields. Their slightly confusing because the generator symbol is almost but not quite exactly like the SCU symbol.

How much memory would sufficient enough to run this game so it's not like a stuttering mess? I played the beta and for the most part performance was fine, but the stuttering when entering new areas or crazy shit going down really was not fun.

Currently equipped with 4gb.

MrBig

How much memory would sufficient enough to run this game so it's not like a stuttering mess? I played the beta and for the most part performance was fine, but the stuttering when entering new areas or crazy shit going down really was not fun.

8gb. That sounds more like an issue with loading stuff into memory from an HDD though. Would probably see more benefit from a SSD

Liberty4all

Banned

I would double that. I have 8gb and 0 stutter issues.

RaffAO

I'm having terrible problems with this game that I can't figure out. When I first spawn it runs absolutely fine but as soon as I move any significant distance my frame-rate just goes up and down constantly from 4-60fps (completely unplayable). Feels like it can't stream in assets fast enough but I don't know what I can do. I install games on a small WD 10,000rpm drive so that loading is usually better than usual! Graphical settings make no noticeable difference.

i5 3470 3.2Ghz
8GB DDR3
Nvidia 560Ti

I can't even log into the official support forum because I'm unable to recover the password for the SOE account I played Planetside with for years (unspecified error) and am not allowed to register a new one because I'm in the UK.

Any suggestions of things to try appreciated.

EDIT: I solved it! My GPU wasn't getting enough juice from the aging PSU. Rearranged some things and unplugged a hdd and dvd drive temprarily and now running really well. Lesson learnt...

Animator

Does that include passive cert gain? I'm seriously tempted just to get over the hump. Weapons wise I'm pretty good now, but certs are excruciatingly slow. I think I got 80 tonight in 7 hours.

Oh yea. I make like 50-100 every hour with that setup.

Moaradin

That seems pretty crazy. I get 80 certs in about 2 hours or so. I'm by no means a skilled player lol. Not sure why there is a big difference. 7 hours for 80 would suck pretty bad.

Top Bottom