• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I feel like TR Mattherson has no worthwhile pilots. Every time I look up, it's always 5-6 NC crafts hovering around like vultures.

Oh but when I make my poor attempt at flying, I get gunned down by like, 3 AA guns.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man, I suck at this game but getting the hang of it. Had some amazing moments a few minutes ago in MP. At very extreme moments the FPS did drop to about 15FPS but fuck it; it was awesome. Some questions:

1. Who can fix generators?
2. Who fix mechanical stuff?
3. Is the annoying lag I faced today normal?

Haly

Engineers
Engineers

Haly

Is it just me or is the infiltrator's cloak useless?
It's good, but it's not a get out of jail free thing whenever you're under fire. Mostly it's for scouting and maneuvering the battlefield.

My proudest moment with the cloak was sneaking into a room with like 6 enemies, uncloaking, throwing a nade and then dying in a blaze of glory, taking 3 people with me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Engineers
Engineers

Any tool? I picked Engineer and I had a... huh, Ammo box I believe it was and something else. Or is it a F button or something? I am expecting something like the medic with a gun and everything but I am not sure haha.

Haly

Any tool? I picked Engineer and I had a... huh, Ammo box I believe it was and something else. Or is it a F button or something? I am expecting something like the medic with a gun and everything but I am not sure haha.
It's weapon 3, like the med gun. Just point at a broken object and shoot, but the range is pitiful. You'll pretty much have to hug a tank in order to repair it.

Is it just me or is the infiltrator's cloak useless?

Its perfect for flanking straight through a firefight. Sniping is a lot easier when the enemy isn't looking.

It's weapon 3, like the med gun. Just point at a broken object and shoot, but the range is pitiful. You'll pretty much have to hug a tank in order to repair it.

But don't stand behind tanks while repairing, TKs abound.

demidar

It's good, but it's not a get out of jail free thing whenever you're under fire. Mostly it's for scouting and maneuvering the battlefield.

My proudest moment with the cloak was sneaking into a room with like 6 enemies, uncloaking, throwing a nade and then dying in a blaze of glory, taking 3 people with me.

It seems I always get picked out even though I'm running solo. I wonder if visibility increases while sprinting but I couldn't find any information on that.

This game puts everything out right now to shame, to shame I tell you.

The skill ceiling, the scale, the night time massive infantry/tank battles, the graphics, the way it makes you use your brain....

My best experience so far was probably on the green planet, Indar?, on a massive open plain at night. I was in a tree predator style right in the middle of a column of about 25 Vanu tanks and then my TR on the other side. Also probably about 200 infantry all together navigating through the light left from the shells that were going over my head.

I'm kind of still in shock from it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

The skill ceiling, the scale, the night time massive infantry/tank battles, the graphics, the way it makes you use your brain....

My best experience so far was probably on the green planet, Indar?, on a massive open plain at night. I was in a tree predator style right in the middle of a column of about 25 Vanu tanks and then my TR on the other side. Also probably about 200 infantry all together navigating through the light left from the shells that were going over my head.

In Beta, I crash landed my fighter jet, but survived (Jetpack ftw). Miles behind both enemies lines, I set up on this large rock formation, and watched the 2 other sides fight out a large battle at 2 different bases (1 small base near a river's edge, and then maybe 3/4 klicks away, I think it might have been The Crown, or some other large base on a mountain top.) Day into night, constant battle. And me, the one little NC guy, camped out and watching it.

Love the audio in the game, cause you can hear those large explosions in the distance, with realistic "distance" to it.

Back when Planetside 1 released, it was the only game where you had a large number of players fighting in open and closed environments taking bases and stuff in first person view.

I'm pretty sure Planetside 2 has claimed that throne once again.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So I feel like TR Mattherson has no worthwhile pilots. Every time I look up, it's always 5-6 NC crafts hovering around like vultures.

Oh but when I make my poor attempt at flying, I get gunned down by like, 3 AA guns.

Ask Freakinchair and Wes for lessons.

nashb81

Neo Member
So I downloaded the game, and didn't really understand WTF was going on. Still, the sheer scope of PS2 makes me want to learn it, and understand it. Such a refreshing change of pace from the usual run and gun bullshit.

Will check out the video links in the OP. Thanks for that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have no clue what I am doing. I did at least get to shoot a few people, several actually from an enemy team.

Sarcasm

Whats worse is when your literally up close and personal..your scope is covered in flesh yet you die even when emptying a clip into them (even headshot). Its hard to pinpoint if its me or not..if I am lagging (there is no MS counter anywhere that I can see).

Its annoying but I do have fun still.

nan0

Is there any way to get a constant 60fps in this game? Perhaps some ini tweaks to lessen CPU load?

Reduce the render distance in the useroptions.ini to 1000 or something. Depends on how potent your system is. Maybe we can add this tweak to the first post? It currently helps greatly especially on lower end systems.

cripterion

Oh nice! Here's my stats!

Wish I could play this with some gaffers, haven't had one good experience with joining random squads, everyone seems to run off like headless chickens to the battle.

Oh and one thing I noticed, is at a certain distance, you will stop seeing infantry. I got a x12scope on my sniper rifle and can see pretty damn far but only vehicules and turrets show on the screen.

SparkTR

The AA rocket launcher is by far my favourite purchase, watching those pesky Scythes and Reavers run for cover while I lock onto them is worth the certs, I don't even have to fire it to protect ground troops. I've coupled that with the minigun and I'm getting pretty nice kills.

Sarcasm

Even with 10% two bullets to my chest kills me while a clip doesn't kill other dude >.>

**How come my heavy looks like he is wearing a dress..than a NC heavy I see a lot of look like mech warriors and can take like 999999999999999mil bullets to the face....?

Haly

Why the Infiltrator's Cloak is by far the most fun ability.
iJLZD7og3sydh.png
This siege has been going on for 3 hours, with NC and VS constantly bringing troops to the frontlines, although the outpost is actually owned by TR and never left our control. I managed to sneak out and set up shop right behind where the NC guys were coming in. They all walked past without giving me a second glance because they were too busy looking ahead, and I was free to headshot whoever was unlucky enough to stop for a few seconds. I did this for a few hours, looking for places where I can snipe the snipers or just flank their troops, and must've racked up more than 30 easy kills.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Is there any way to get a constant 60fps in this game? Perhaps some ini tweaks to lessen CPU load?

Two big tweaks in the UserOptions.ini that I have seen suggested:

[Rendering]
RenderDistance=1000.000000 (or as high as 1400.000000)

[Sound]
MaxVoices = 30 (or as high as 64)

Noaloha

Does anyone else wonder about the Warpgate placement on the three continents?

I kinda feel like TR has the natural advantage on both INDAR and AMERISH due to having central placement on an opposing edge (offering a better 'radius' coverage than the NC and VS's corner placing), and on ESAMIR the NC surely are at a disadvantage by having the boxed-in corner.

Seems a little odd that it's set up like this when there's three factions and three continents.

ibwVHUVSBejxuq.jpg

ibq64duW3MbH3P.jpg

iloGUUGFw2zbB.jpg

Liberty4all

Banned

GAF lead the attack on the TR (assuming you were on Matterson) last night on Indar and through to this morning. I unlocked some of the squad leader certs which let me place priority targets on the map (which everyone faction wide sees) while also leading a 30 member GAF platoon to help guide the Zerg. Also unlocked the command chat channel and coordinated with my counterparts who were hitting the NC.

At the wee hours of the morning the Vanu liberated Indar from the communists and smurfs, locking both of our misguided enemies in their warp gates where they belong. It was GLORIOUS.

Liberty4all

Banned
Does anyone else wonder about the Warpgate placement on the three continents?

I kinda feel like TR has the natural advantage on both INDAR and AMERISH due to having central placement on an opposing edge (offering a better 'radius' coverage than the NC and VS's corner placing), and on ESAMIR the NC surely are at a disadvantage by having the boxed-in corner.

Seems a little odd that it's set up like this when there's three factions and three continents.]

This was brought up multiple times in the beta and was ignored :/

Likewise the way command works is beyond stupid ... Eventually everyone will have access to the command channel (sooner rather than later) and you will see the map littered with faction objectives making it useless. Same thing eventually happened in planetside 1 but it was a LONG road to command rank 5 taking months of squad leading. In planetside 2 it took me 3 days to get the same abilities.

I can't really wrap my head around how little thought it appears went into the squad leader certs.

Divius

Is there an EuroGAF outfit to join? I'm kinda tired of playing with people who are as clueless as me and I need some guidance/leadership.

This game wasn't on my radar until I lost my Battlefield 3 soldier due to some EA fuckup that they can't seem to fix. Having played Planetside 2 for the last few days I can safely say I don't care if I ever play BF3 again. Not that it's a bad game (bf3), but this is just on another level.

Liberty4all

Banned
Barnie scum!

Join the Vanu! Then you too can experience the joy of being in a 30 column of MAGS.

Speaking of which, why do I never see the NC or TR on Mattherson do their own tank columns? The Vanu Mags are undoubtedly better, but Vanguards and Prowlers are still something to fear when massed.

edit: Goon put up a pretty amazing NC propaganda video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sgYysrEiiY4

I'm assuming that's what the game looks like at ultra? I thought it looked good on high but that is UNREAL. Let those guys do the official trailer next time Sony.

edit: Their recruitment video was pretty awesome too. Glad to see Vanu slapped them down in the end =P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPDZUbbRRI&list=UUmn_KSGWsqHJ-YmMl2NY-BQ&index=3&feature=plcp

kch

Is there an EuroGAF outfit to join? I'm kinda tired of playing with people who are as clueless as me and I need some guidance/leadership.

Look up the RockPaperShotgun outfits. Joined their Vanu outfit and took part of some great squad play with around 15-20 people.

Join the Vanu! Then you too can experience the joy of being in a 30 column of MAGS.

Speaking of which, why do I never see the NC or TR on Mattherson do their own tank columns? The Vanu Mags are undoubtedly better, but Vanguards and Prowlers are still something to fear when massed.

I just got tankrolled by those commie bastards.

I do dislike being able to just buy 'the good stuff' though. Logically speaking you would have people specialize into Galaxy flyer, Sunderer driver and so on due to certs, but if you can just buy it straight away that team organisation thing is lost.

Then again: F2P is not really about heavy organization in the first place.

Speaking of which, I just saw a Vanu breakdancing flyer. Not sure if he was just stuck, but it sure looked like something.

Oh, and it seems like the last two updates have increased my framerate substantially. I am now in the 40-60 range in small combat. Even large battles seem steady now.
Is that just me?

edit: how do I manually join / request to join the GAF mattheson Vanu outfit? Because the in-game menu isn't very helpful.

Liberty4all

Banned
I just got tankrolled by those commie bastards.

I do dislike being able to just buy 'the good stuff' though. Logically speaking you would have people specialize into Galaxy flyer, Sunderer driver and so on due to certs, but if you can just buy it straight away that team organisation thing is lost.

Then again: F2P is not really about heavy organization in the first place.

Speaking of which, I just saw a Vanu breakdancing flyer. Not sure if he was just stuck, but it sure looked like something.

Oh, and it seems like the last two updates have increased my framerate substantially. I am now in the 40-60 range in small combat. Even large battles seem steady now.
Is that just me?

edit: how do I manually join / request to join the GAF mattheson Vanu outfit? Because the in-game menu isn't very helpful.

You need to catch me in game or anyone of our officers. The best thing to do is add me as a friend, you'll be notified when I log on and can ask for an invite. I've been playing from about 10 PM - 8 AM every day .... Slightly hooked.

"I do dislike being able to just buy 'the good stuff' though. Logically speaking you would have people specialize into Galaxy flyer, Sunderer driver and so on due to certs, but if you can just buy it straight away that team organisation thing is lost. "

You don't buy the Galaxy/Sunderer? They're available for everyone from the start. You still specialize into them with certs.

Noaloha

edit: Goon put up a pretty amazing NC propaganda video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sgYysrEiiY4

I'm assuming that's what the game looks like at ultra? I thought it looked good on high but that is UNREAL. Let those guys do the official trailer next time Sony.

edit: Their recruitment video was pretty awesome too. Glad to see Vanu slapped them down in the end =P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPDZUbbRRI&list=UUmn_KSGWsqHJ-YmMl2NY-BQ&index=3&feature=plcp
It might simply be that I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this game but, shit. Fuck. Unf. This guy's videos are a little bit breathtaking.

Played a few hours last night. Had no clue what I was doing but eventually started getting the hang of it.

I loved once the night cycle began. Really wasn't expecting it when it happened but the game looks great with all the battles going on around you.

Top Bottom