• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Aegus

I'm really enjoying the Light Assault class now. Was going to focus on Combat Med, but invading the Biolabs as Light Assault is the best infantry experience I've had in the game. Jumping from roof top to roof top to rocky indoor outcrop as battles rage below and around on the roofs is amazing. And even jumping in and out of enemy squads is fun.

Also does any else love throwing grenades into clusters of enemies who gather at the lower teles at Tech plants as they invade? You can easily rack up a kill streak of 7 or 8 with a single grenade. Hell you can usually fly right in and get 3 or 4 kills as people tend to be reloading in the back.

People should learn to push back as defence though. It's no use sitting there holding the line as they eventually build up a stronger foothold to push through.

Sarcasm

Ugh the infantry combat in this game is so clunky it really hurts the game. Movement and stance transitions are too slow and there's too big a delay between weapon switching and ADS. I've lost count of how many times I've been running and died because I couldnt ADS or switch back from my kit to my main weapon fast enough. Just tapping backwards and forwards quickly you can see the delay as your character is still moving forward when your fingers hit the back key. If it's client side it sure feels like I'm playing a shooter with 150 ping from 10 years ago. It less fluid than pretty much every popular shooter out there, low framerate and weird culling doesn't help. Infiltrator is frustrating enough as it is.

I have noticed switching to pistol is easy fast but my lmg freaking slow.

Liberty4all

Banned
For me i love the running a max with engineer support. You ruin infantry an aircrafts day. I made close to 100 certs in a tech plant in an hour blowing the shit out of incoming waves of infantry. With engineers behind me i was unstoppable and had unlimited ammo.

ive started upping my certs in heavy assault now, adding scopes and upping health via nano weave armour.

Sarcasm

SO getting weapons isn't worth it? I main a HA and holding back on weapon certs. If I got them they only work for those guns or any LMG?

Also..about scope which to get? If your acc is better by ironsights/scoping would it be best tio get low multipler (like 1x) since I am not like..sniping class? I also notice the laser improves hip shot..worth it?

Liberty4all

Banned
SO getting weapons isn't worth it? I main a HA and holding back on weapon certs. If I got them they only work for those guns or any LMG?

Also..about scope which to get? If your acc is better by ironsights/scoping would it be best tio get low multipler (like 1x) since I am not like..sniping class? I also notice the laser improves hip shot..worth it?

I used SC for all my weapon and vehicle unlocks. For the price of a full retail title (on a double or triple station cash day) you will be swimming with new toys to play with.

In my opinion you need to use your certs on upgrades like nanoweave armour, vehicle upgrades etc ... The base weapons themselves for infantry and vehicles are way too expensive to use certs on.

i certed a 3.5 scope ... Will try it for awhile not sure if i like it though. All i really wanted was a dot for my pulsar lws not a scope

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For HA, there is only one weapon that I would buy with SC, which is the ground-to-air missile launcher. It is impossible to nail aircrafts with rockets without it, and AA is always in demand because of the vulnerability of static stations and the unreliability of AA guns.

Finally watched all the tutorials off their website, learned alot but they could have been done so much better, a bit informal so it felt like they really glossed over things.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Engineers, tip for any new players. The turret can be turned into an ammo box (while in placement mode press 'b' and the turret changes to an ammo box), and you will either have 2 ammo boxes or you can replace the ammo box with a med kit. I have seen that many people don't know about this.

Haly

Engineers, tip for any new players. The turret can be turned into an ammo box (while in placement mode press 'b' and the turret changes to an ammo box), and you will either have 2 ammo boxes or you can replace the ammo box with a med kit. I have seen that many people don't know about this.
What an obscure secondary function.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I have seen that many people don't know about this.
No kidding. I've played mostly engineer since the beta and I did not know this.

Edit: For those with performance problems: The latest nVidia beta drivers have some optimizations for Planetside 2. I also read somewhere that un-parking the CPU-cores (just google it) on your PC can give a little boost in framerate. I did both at the same time, so I don't know which of them did it, but the framerate seems a bit smoother now. (i7-2600 and 560Ti here).

This is by far the most EPIC game I have ever seen or played. The scale is just batshit crazy, the graphics are so fucking good and don't even get me started on dat motion blur!

I have only put an hour into it, but yesterday I spawned at the snowy area wrap gate, seeing all the gigantic ships and activity and huge convoy of players making their way through the map, I was just blown away!

This game is next gen!

Hari Seldon

The IRNV scope is absolutely boss in all but the brightest light conditions.

I play mostly HA, and I don't really use the laser since that takes the slot of the fore grip. I didn't know that though and purchased both.

Zona

As a HA my preferred setup is the 2x reflex sight, the forward grip, and a compensator on the barrel. It's not a great setup for long range but I find it lovely for medium and short range fights. Biolabs are all about the lasher though.

If you guys main HA definitely get the ground to air launcher, if it is still the same as the beta, there is no missile drop and is great for dumbfiring tanks as well as locking on planes. That said, with the nerf to the skyguard, it seems like burster maxes are the best AA out there right now.

PROSTHETIC

Neo Member
Right now I have no allegiance to anything in this game. First outfit I find that has players consistently online, is the one I want to join. Just like in BF3 I refuse to play the game solo.

Ugh the infantry combat in this game is so clunky it really hurts the game. Movement and stance transitions are too slow and there's too big a delay between weapon switching and ADS. I've lost count of how many times I've been running and died because I couldnt ADS or switch back from my kit to my main weapon fast enough. Just tapping backwards and forwards quickly you can see the delay as your character is still moving forward when your fingers hit the back key. If it's client side it sure feels like I'm playing a shooter with 150 ping from 10 years ago. It less fluid than pretty much every popular shooter out there, low framerate and weird culling doesn't help. Infiltrator is frustrating enough as it is.

Hmm, I don't think the gunplay is anywhere near the best, but as light assault, I've almost never had any trouble switching from my primary to my pistol quickly and finishing off a kill. Otherwise, sounds like you might have some lag?

I'm really enjoying the Light Assault class now. Was going to focus on Combat Med, but invading the Biolabs as Light Assault is the best infantry experience I've had in the game. Jumping from roof top to roof top to rocky indoor outcrop as battles rage below and around on the roofs is amazing. And even jumping in and out of enemy squads is fun.

Also does any else love throwing grenades into clusters of enemies who gather at the lower teles at Tech plants as they invade? You can easily rack up a kill streak of 7 or 8 with a single grenade. Hell you can usually fly right in and get 3 or 4 kills as people tend to be reloading in the back.

People should learn to push back as defence though. It's no use sitting there holding the line as they eventually build up a stronger foothold to push through.

I love light assault--my favorite class by far. Whenever I change to another class, I feel very limited in what I can do. The jet pack is too good and allows for some epic saves/kills. It's very dynamic.

Yeah, I love using the teleporter to pop down to the ground level, toss a grenade, empty a mag, then run back to safety via the teleporter. Eventually they catch wise to it, but they're usually way too distracted.

I bought a new machine gun for my LA but honestly, if I could "go back", I wouldn't. There doesn't feel like a huge difference between most guns--spend the money on something else.

For my LA, I have the IRNV 1x scope for when I need to ADS, but I also got a laser sight, so it's pretty accurate for close encounters/firing from the hip. Just unlocked the suppressor, which hasn't hampered me too much and should help me during ambush/raids.

Deadly

If you guys main HA definitely get the ground to air launcher, if it is still the same as the beta, there is no missile drop and is great for dumbfiring tanks as well as locking on planes. That said, with the nerf to the skyguard, it seems like burster maxes are the best AA out there right now.
Trying to do this now but god at 1000 certs it's going to take so long, I've only got 100. My game crashing every 10-15minutes doesn't help either :(

nope. I'm on the lowest of lowest. Everything disabled. I can actually run the game decently this way.

This worked for me

Windows 7/Windows Vista
* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
* In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.
* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
* Changes take effect on reboot

To undo (in case of issues)

For Vista 32/win 7 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
Reboot and you are back to normal.

Liberty4all

Banned
Trying to do this now but god at 1000 certs it's going to take so long, I've only got 100. My game crashing every 10-15minutes doesn't help either :(

those certs would be MUCH better spent on other stuff. When it comes to weapons use SC. They aren't worth the cert cost.

Jhriad

Finally back in town after being away for the holiday the past week. Really looking forward to digging in and getting a lot of Planetside in.

Yea I sunk $25 in during the Black Friday sale. Are those weapon and vehicle packs worth it? Tempted to subscribe for a month or 2 just for the 25% XP gain since I passed on alpha squad

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yea I sunk $25 in during the Black Friday sale. Are those weapon and vehicle packs worth it? Tempted to subscribe for a month or 2 just for the 25% XP gain since I passed on alpha squad

I sunked $20 bucks on the sale, now kind of wish I went up more.

Bought the infantry starter bundle and then the vehicle bundle. Now I want some sort of A2A lock on missle.

I went ahead and signed up for the year subscribe. I can skip a lunch or 2 a month to cover that cost.

Myomoto

I sunked $20 bucks on the sale, now kind of wish I went up more.

Bought the infantry starter bundle and then the vehicle bundle. Now I want some sort of A2A lock on missle.

I went ahead and signed up for the year subscribe. I can skip a lunch or 2 a month to cover that cost.

Planetside 2 - Making people starve themselves since 26/11/2012.

Was pretty pissed that I spent $20 on SC the day before the Black Friday sale :mad:

Easy solution: Never buy SC when it's not on sale.

Tacitus_

those certs would be MUCH better spent on other stuff. When it comes to weapons use SC. They aren't worth the cert cost.

What should I get after maxing out my health? I've got one level of extra fuel, level 1 health regen kit, a scope for my AR and 2x reduced respawn & mobile respawn for the sunderer. Cos I'm thinking a new weapon would be the next thing since the one I'm eyeing has much better attachments for my playstyle.

Artanisix

I really wish Vehicles weren't so strong in this game. At least, it feels really cheap to be trekking into a base takeover only to be completely obliterated by some flying machine dropping rockets on you and being unable to retaliate.

demidar

I got into the NC MBT and shot haphazardly at an enemy ship flying over some mountains some 500m away while waiting then turned around and started moving with a tank column. Saw a message telling me I got some points for shooting down a Liberator.

And that's how I became king of the world.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I got into the NC MBT and shot haphazardly at an enemy ship flying over some mountains some 500m away while waiting then turned around and started moving with a tank column. Saw a message telling me I got some points for shooting down a Liberator.

And that's how I became king of the world.

Every once in awhile, I'll manage to hit a mosquito with a tank shell. Feels Good Man.

I really wish Vehicles weren't so strong in this game. At least, it feels really cheap to be trekking into a base takeover only to be completely obliterated by some flying machine dropping rockets on you and being unable to retaliate.

I really don't think they're that bad. If aircraft is anywhere near a base with manned turret guns, it will most likely be destroyed, or at the very least force a landing.

At this early in the game, not that many people have unlocked/are using AA options for heavy assault, vehicles, or MAX, so I think aircraft is naturally a little OP at the moment, but things should even out.

Tacitus_

I really don't think they're that bad. If aircraft is anywhere near a base with manned turret guns, it will most likely be destroyed, or at the very least force a landing.

At this early in the game, not that many people have unlocked/are using AA options for heavy assault, vehicles, or MAX, so I think aircraft is naturally a little OP at the moment, but things should even out.

You can put an AA gun on your MAX loadout from the start at least on VS. Bitches get flak cannoned if they try anything. I've even seen a couple of guys running around dualwielding flak cannons, but that takes some time to unlock.

demidar

I wouldn't mind if rockets moved faster. Fucking Magriders can dodge everything with their strafing.

Also you can two-shot tanks from the rear, it's getting back there that's the problem but when you do they're Swiss cheese.

Deadly

Yeah I just realized that as my friend asked me how to deploy his sunderer and we found out he had to buy the cert :lol

This worked for me

Windows 7/Windows Vista
* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
* In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.
* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
* Changes take effect on reboot

To undo (in case of issues)

For Vista 32/win 7 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
Reboot and you are back to normal.
Going to try this out when I get back home thanks!

PatzCU

This game needs something to encourage actually winning. The constant zerg and territory swapping is only fun for so long without any feeling of accomplishment. I know it's tough to "win" in an MMO FPS that is all about a persistent battle, but there needs to be some method to win besides the self satisfaction of briefly taking a territory (which undoubtedly changes hands 15 minutes later).

This game needs something to encourage actually winning. The constant zerg and territory swapping is only fun for so long without any feeling of accomplishment. I know it's tough to "win" in an MMO FPS that is all about a persistent battle, but there needs to be some method to win besides the self satisfaction of briefly taking a territory (which undoubtedly changes hands 15 minutes later).

Like what? I do agree it feels a bit inconsequential at times, but there are rewards for holding territories and resources, technically.

Haly

Everyone should get purpz if you take over the continent except for warp gates.

I think one easy source of motivation is actually rewarding with SC/CP bonuses if you have capped a certain amount of territory. Resources are nice, but requires such a high-level approach to the game that is overlooked by a lot of players, I assume.

Miker

Is motion blur locked to any other graphical option? I put everything on medium except textures on high and motion blur on, but I don't get any of that sweet, sweet blur :(

Top Bottom