• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Keasar

Is the AP30 Shredder on the Liberator any good for something? I find it extremely lacking in taking down anything compared to a Dalton cannon.

Ricker

They still haven't fixed the 360 controller being plugged in causing the exe not launching the game...oh well,might jump on this afternoon...hopefully I can join a squad,my info is on the chart...

daedalius

So I am trying to enjoy this game, as I really enjoyed PS1... but my computer is obviously having a really rough time.

I have no issue running Tribes and BF3, albeit not on the highest settings, but I can at least get playable framerates.

I have turned PS2 down to low settings, reduced my resolution to 1440x900, and set the render target to about 65%... and I'm still getting less than(or near) 40fps when I am in the middle of nowhere. In a battle it drops to about 20fps, or less, especially if I'm in a vehicle.

I have a 2.4 intel quadcore, 8gigs of 800mhz ram, and a 280GTX; why can't I play this game at any decent framerate? Is my system just that out of spec? (I also go and close just about everything that could possibly slow the game down before I even start)

MrBig

Is my system just that out of spec?

Yes, you'll need a newer gen CPU if you're looking for a solid framerate. Changing graphics options doesn't really effect much when the CPU has to handle the actions of hundreds of players around you. OC the cpu if you can.

Anton668

I have a 2.4 intel quadcore, 8gigs of 800mhz ram, and a 280GTX; why can't I play this game at any decent framerate? Is my system just that out of spec? (I also go and close just about everything that could possibly slow the game down before I even start)

Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
Memory: 4 GB Installed RAM
Video Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher

Current Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher

per this chart Graphics card compatability your graphics are at the min range. least you have a intel chip! could be worse

Miker

Okay, a few things:

I'm running on every medium except for graphics/terrain/models on high, with motion blur turned on. I pull a solid 60 fps when not much is happening near me, but whenever I spawn right into a warp point or main spawn room, or get into a fight, I drop to high 30s/low 40s. Other people seem to be pulling much better FPS, and it's not in line with my experience.

Is my performance typical? My rig is 3570K @ 4.4 Ghz, 7850 30% OC, 8gb RAM, game installed to Samsung 830 SSD.

How do you tell how many players are in the same zone as you? And does zone mean a single hex, or what exactly?

daedalius

Unfortunately switching out the CPU would be quite a bit more of a hassle (not to mention more expensive) than picking up a new video card. I don't think OCing it a bit would solve much of my problems either.

Sad, probably won't really be able to play this game. 20fps just kinda kills my enjoyment.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've seen it said at plenty of other places, but it seems that installing the game on an SSD helps a great deal.

Back in the summer, I built a PC:

i5-3570K
8 GB DDR3 1600
Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
SSD
and other pieces

Cost was closer to $900-$1000 at the time, but it's down below $800

I run it on high settings for everything, and I don't get any frame drops (noticeable to me, anyway) Usually feels closer to 60 fps.

MrBig

Sad, probably won't really be able to play this game. 20fps just kinda kills my enjoyment.

:( I know how that feels, I'm away from home atm and trying to play the game on my C2D laptop is a nightmare. It's the price to pay, though, PS2 feels like is a generational leap ahead of any other FPS out there now when you get into big outfit collisions and can crank the graphics settings up to ultra while retaining a good framerate

Okay, a few things:

I'm running on every medium except for graphics/terrain/models on high, with motion blur turned on. I pull a solid 60 fps when not much is happening near me, but whenever I spawn right into a warp point or main spawn room, or get into a fight, I drop to high 30s/low 40s. Other people seem to be pulling much better FPS, and it's not in line with my experience.

Is my performance typical? My rig is 3570K @ 4.4 Ghz, 7850 30% OC, 8gb RAM, game installed to Samsung 830 SSD.

How do you tell how many players are in the same zone as you? And does zone mean a single hex, or what exactly?

I have the same setup and cpu OC as you pretty much, but with a 670 @1.28ghz. I never go below 40 in the bigger battles, usually somewhere in the 50s. You should probably bump the graphics settings up a bit, have you checked your GPU usage graph? It may be going into a lower power mode.

"/who" displays the friendly playercount in your hex. Zones are continents.

MutFox

Banned
Started playing last night...
Though I went on the "Helios" Server and to "New Conglomerate" side... :p

Crazy how big the battles got and didn't get any lag... I was amazed...

Deadly

I've got the same processor (OC'd to 3.2 though) and if you disable (from useroptions.ini) everything you can still play at decent framerate. There's a guide somewhere on their forums and on reddit. I get constant crashes though (every 20-30minutes or so) which could be because of the processor or a lack of RAM (I've got 4GB, limited to 3.2 because of 32-bit). But the game runs fine this way.

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13pzb1/fps_settings_which_helped_me_improve_kd_to_30/

Jhriad

I don't know what happened but today my framerate is pretty consistently in the mid 20s when I'm anywhere near a fight of any size. That's on a 3570, 660 Ti, SSD, & 8 gigs of ram. Really annoying.

MrBig

I don't know what happened but today my framerate is pretty consistently in the mid 20s when I'm anywhere near a fight of any size. That's on a 3570, 660 Ti, SSD, & 8 gigs of ram. Really annoying.

This happened to me randomly once, my framerate was capped at 30 and it was just really chugging when anything happened. I restarted my comp and it went back to normal

e: it might have been an accidental activation of the video recorder/streamer, the default caps it to 30fps and so when anything intensive happens you'll see dramatic drops.

Miker

I have the same setup and cpu OC as you pretty much, but with a 670 @1.28ghz. I never go below 40 in the bigger battles, usually somewhere in the 50s. You should probably bump the graphics settings up a bit, have you checked your GPU usage graph? It may be going into a lower power mode.

"/who" displays the friendly playercount in your hex. Zones are continents.

Thanks for the reply, I'll run the game with CPU/GPU-Z running later.

Jhriad

Must be busy killing people!

Anybody on COnnery TR that can invite me to outfit?

Got ya. Sorry, I'm not in the habit of paying attention to the chat window anymore with all the kill spam in it. I'll have to see if I can change the display options so chat doesn't get lost quite as quickly. Glad I got you in though.

Risgroo

I'm useless at this game, haha. I'll need a few hours of experience before I join an outfit, wouldn't want to embarrass you guys.

I am so pissed off about the Shrike infantry rocket launcher, man the thing 1 shots mosquito's, yes it's unguided but constantly moving around trying to pick people and things off with the like 50 vehicle fov is nearly impossible.

I guess weapon optics and longer horizontal or vertical engagement distances are the answer but the thing should be a two shot not one.

PatzCU

Uggggh, I just realized Connery GAF is TR and not Vanu (I created a Vanu). How is the TR Outfit going? Worth rerolling as TR (I'm only lvl 6)?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What kind of moron spawns a vehicle on top of a sundy reviving everyone.

God damn, why doesn't this game have built-in tutorials for all this shit.

demolitio

I know you guys talked about waiting until the next double station cash event but will membership ever be on sale for like 3 months access, etc.?

Darknight

Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
Memory: 4 GB Installed RAM
Video Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher

Current Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher

per this chart Graphics card compatability your graphics are at the min range. least you have a intel chip! could be worse

Is this list correct? With a single GTX 460 V2, I can play the game @1080p with all high settings, some stutter. Running SLI, game runs the same, no stutter yet it says it meet "minimum requirement"?

Liberty4all

Banned
I know you guys talked about waiting until the next double station cash event but will membership ever be on sale for like 3 months access, etc.?

doubtful. When you redeem a card its for SC or 30 day membership. In the good old days you used to be able to subscribe to games using station cash ... So everyone stocked up at sales ... So they changed it yo how it works now.

Myomoto

I highly doubt membership will ever be on sale. Just pick up a month and use the 500 SC on the +50% xp boost for 7 days -> Massive amounts of certs for you.

demolitio

Thanks for the answers. That 7 day XP boost sounds like a good idea. I just want me some rockets...that's all I want for Christmas.

Myomoto

Thanks for the answers. That 7 day XP boost sounds like a good idea. I just want me some rockets...that's all I want for Christmas.

Rocket pods? Just buy them dude. And then spend those certs you just saved to slap some night vision on those rocket pods, which makes infantry on the ground light up like little Christmas lights for you to snuff out with hot missiles.

Snowdrift

Just spent two hours trying to take The Crown on Genudine as NC. Almost had it and then two out of three Sunderers got destroyed and we ended up at the bottom of the mountain again. Two hours and nothing accomplished.

Great game. I'm really enjoying the day and night cycles.

Is this list correct? With a single GTX 460 V2, I can play the game @1080p with all high settings, some stutter. Running SLI, game runs the same, no stutter yet it says it meet "minimum requirement"?

I have SLI GTX 460 V2 and I get 30-60 @ 1080p depending on the what's on the screen at any given time. If I'm flying I can get up to 90. Really depends on the situation.

Can someone invite me to the VS outfit in Mattherson? My name is Humenkind.

I really think the time-to-kill in this game should be longer. Battles should feel more personal and engaging.

MrBig

Can someone invite me to the VS outfit in Mattherson? My name is Humenkind.

I really think the time-to-kill in this game should be longer. Battles should feel more personal and engaging.

I'll log in momentarily

Cert in to nano-weave armor. The end of that cert tree should really be the base health level for all infantry

e: I'm getting a player not found error

I'll log in momentarily

Cert in to nano-weave armor. The end of that cert tree should really be the base health level for all infantry

e: I'm getting a player not found error

Do you have to be in game for an outfit invite? Also, are there any other 'essential' things i should put certs into before anything else?

Who thought it would be a good idea to include Friendly Fire in a game with battles of 500 v 500. Vehicles are flying people are running and shooting and throwing... I die more times by teammates accidently then by the opposing team. Not their fault for the most part as grenade physics make no sense, but I hope they patch out FF.

MrBig

Who thought it would be a good idea to include Friendly Fire in a game with battles of 500 v 500. Vehicles are flying people are running and shooting and throwing... I die more times by teammates accidently then by the opposing team. Not their fault for the most part as grenade physics make no sense, but I hope they patch out FF.

No FF would just make it an even bigger clusterfuck of people carelessly spamming AoE weapons everywhere.

They need to sort out the collision system, so that people can't run through you while you're standing still or strafing but so that it doesn't become a problem elsewhere, ie dynamically deciding when to use player collision.

Do you have to be in game for an outfit invite? Also, are there any other 'essential' things i should put certs into before anything else?

idk, but I've also heard the outfit invite system is also partially broken atm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWkl6ltghI&feature=youtu.be

Top Bottom