• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

PatzCU

Like what? I do agree it feels a bit inconsequential at times, but there are rewards for holding territories and resources, technically.

I don't know, some form of recognition. If your faction manages to take and hold 90% of the continent for X amount of time and your outfit assisted in the assault, maybe dish out some kind of medal on a homepage people can see ALA Battlefield's battlelog.

Most rewards in MMO's revolve around the epeen so that would be a good place to start. It would be great to have high honors going to outfits for pulling off difficult tasks. That way you can start to build a story or legend around your particular outfit/guild.

MrBig

Remember that PS2 is a long term evolution game, over the course of the next ~5 years there will be hugely dramatic changes to the way the meta-game is played. The end game in PS2 is outfits, and the power/recognition they hold, and to that end outfits will be able to own territory and construct fortresses to create home-bases using rare new resources that will have to be harvested from continents. Capturing small territories on these three continents, as people should be realizing, isn't of much lasting import and should not be recognized as such. PS2 is much more akin to the open-sandbox, player made games like Minecraft than the strict repetitious skirmishes of traditional FPS.

Also of note: MMO is not a genre or a way to define a game, it is merely a metric to describe playercount.

mr_nothin

Banned
I don't know, some form of recognition. If your faction manages to take and hold 90% of the continent for X amount of time and your outfit assisted in the assault, maybe dish out some kind of medal on a homepage people can see ALA Battlefield's battlelog.

Most rewards in MMO's revolve around the epeen so that would be a good place to start. It would be great to have high honors going to outfits for pulling off difficult tasks. That way you can start to build a story or legend around your particular outfit/guild.
Alot of this will be alleviated once the player website is up and once the mobile app is released. The player stat website is at least as extensive as battlelog and not having it day 1 is prob 1 of the reasons why there may not be enough of a payoff for some and might be why the game may seem a little dry.

We arent able to brag, boast, and wagle our epeens. With a game as competitive as this, we need that right!

Miker

Yeah I was getting 15 fps with my AMD Athlon II x 4 and GTX 460. I swapped out my CPU for a sexy new i5-3570k and now I play this comfortably at 60 fps.

Might I ask what settings you're using? I have a 3570k at 4.4 Ghz and a 7850 with 30% OC and I can't pull 60 fps as soon as something starts happening if I have "graphics" on high.

TheD

The Detective
Alot of this will be alleviated once the player website is up and once the mobile app is released. The player stat website is at least as extensive as battlelog and not having it day 1 is prob 1 of the reasons why there may not be enough of a payoff for some and might be why the game may seem a little dry.

We arent able to brag, boast, and wagle our epeens. With a game as competitive as this, we need that right!

I beg to differ :p http://www.planetside-universe.com/player_stats.php?character=DevastationCore

Speaking of cool moments, yesterday I was flying around Esamir in my Scythe (as you do), I got jumped by a TR fighter, he did critical damage to my Scythe (on fire and everything), so I fly close to the ground and jump out at high speed.
I skid along the ground a bit and take damage, my plane skids out ahead of me, the TR pilot (not knowing that I jumped out) keeps on firing at my plane, hits the ground, catches fire and bounces back up into the air..
I then pull out my rifle, shot his plane and kill him!

Artanisix

Might I ask what settings you're using? I have a 3570k at 4.4 Ghz and a 7850 with 30% OC and I can't pull 60 fps as soon as something starts happening if I have "graphics" on high.

I set my shadows to medium, otherwise left everything at high. Try that.

Sarcasm

Odd

I got 3770K @ 3.4ghz (no OC) and a 670GTX..I get 60-80 FPS.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Seems like there is a "weapon trial" thing in the game. Haven't logged in yet, but some kind of option to try out the various weapons before purchase, in case it's not what you want.

PatzCU

Remember that PS2 is a long term evolution game, over the course of the next ~5 years there will be hugely dramatic changes to the way the meta-game is played. The end game in PS2 is outfits, and the power/recognition they hold, and to that end outfits will be able to own territory and construct fortresses to create home-bases using rare new resources that will have to be harvested from continents. Capturing small territories on these three continents, as people should be realizing, isn't of much lasting import and should not be recognized as such. PS2 is much more akin to the open-sandbox, player made games like Minecraft than the strict repetitious skirmishes of traditional FPS.

Also of note: MMO is not a genre or a way to define a game, it is merely a metric to describe playercount.

I didn't know this was part of their gameplay. An EVE-ish FPS MMO makes me salivate.

mr_nothin

Banned
I don't think I came close to having 300 people in a single zone lol. Not even close.

I've been in a battle with 300 TEAMMATES in 1 hex and we were having a hard time taking the base. The battle lasted for hours so I'm guessing they had equal numbers.

Pro-tip: To see how many teammates are in one area/hex/base, type "/who" in your chat. If you want more info on somebody type "/who playername"

Sarcasm

I've been in a battle with 300 TEAMMATES in 1 hex and we were having a hard time taking the base. The battle lasted for hours so I'm guessing they had equal numbers.

Pro-tip: To see how many teammates are in one area/hex/base, type "/who" in your chat. If you want more info on somebody type "/who playername"

Will do..but remember I play on an AU server.

Deadly

I remember there was a shooting area in PS1, where you could basically try everything. Does that still exist in PS2 or is it replaced by the weapon trial before purchase?

Jintor

I wish there was a radar facility you could capture that would just let you see on the overmap where great concentrations of players were

mr_nothin

Banned
Will do..but remember I play on an AU server.
I'm so sorry...

I remember there was a shooting area in PS1, where you could basically try everything. Does that still exist in PS2 or is it replaced by the weapon trial before purchase?

Not yet but they are considering it. I forget whether they are only considering or if they said they'll do it in the future. I know they've been back n forth of the issue a lot though.

I wish there was a radar facility you could capture that would just let you see on the overmap where great concentrations of players were

It's already in the game and it's already available for everybody. On the map, check the "enemy activity" option (or something like that) and a heatmap-like map will show.

MrBig

On the map, check the box under territory control

Not yet but they are considering it. I forget whether they are only considering or if they said they'll do it in the future. I know they've been back n forth of the issue a lot though.

I think they should do a sort of orbital facility, that will act as the tutorial area for new players, and have a VR area, and be the lore behind the drop pod deployments

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I think they should do a sort of orbital facility, that will act as the tutorial area for new players, and have a VR area, and be the lore behind the drop pod deployments

Yeah, that's a basic screen to tell you where stuff is going down. Map screen also gives some details on each area (no activity, Enemy Presence detected, Enemy Squad's Detected, Enemy Platoon Detected). Last one is when you know stuff is going down.

mr_nothin

Banned

That actually sounds pretty freakin cool.
Also, since you've brought it up. Anybody else HATE that they reduced the instant action cooldown to 15 mins from 30mins?! It's waaayyy to short now. 30 mins felt perfect. 15 mins is just too short with the amount of ppl that are on now.

Hopefully they reverse that, Higby said they might reduce it but he liked how 30 mins felt so hopefully it gets changed back quickly.

Yeah, that's a basic screen to tell you where stuff is going down. Map screen also gives some details on each area (no activity, Enemy Presence detected, Enemy Squad's Detected, Enemy Platoon Detected). Last one is when you know stuff is going down.

Last 1 is usually an indicator of where not to go. I usually try to go to the territory next to that to get ready for the next push. 70% of the time when I go to a hex with "Enemy Platoon Detected"....I get greeted by 50 tanks, 20 sunderers, and 100+ infantry. Speaking of Sunderers, the sundy spam has gotten a little out of hand. It wasnt too much of a problem in the last 2 weeks of the beta but with sunderers being available at every base now...it's too much. I think sunderers should be tied to Amp Stations :D. But then again, I'm evil

demolitio

You need to make the TR outfit in Matherson already. I'll be your bitchy Lieutenant that rants about Hitman not working. Should work out well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TR's always had a problem with leadership, I see TR GAF is no different.

:p

mr_nothin

Banned
You need to make the TR outfit in Matherson already. I'll be your bitchy Lieutenant that rants about Hitman not working. Should work out well.

Lol, I'm not dedicated enough to keep up with the maintenance of an outfit though. I would have been started it if I wasnt so busy lately. I know you'll continue to bitch about Hitman anyways though lol. I got mines installed and ready...just havent played it yet. Too bad you cant do the same XD

MrBig

did everyone who requested to join the VS mattherson outfit get an invite btw? I can log on real quick and get everyone in

Anton668

did everyone who requested to join the VS mattherson outfit get an invite btw? I can log on real quick and get everyone in

tried to send a invite to CJ(Snizzie), but per norm, it always says player not found. but yet I can send friend invites and then add them to the outfit that way. meh

Jarate

Banned
Is there any easier ways too unlock weapons other then through playing for like 40 hours to unlock a single gun

Seriously, all I want is a better gun for the light infantry class. The starting one is super dull compared to the one I tested out

Ianan

mr_nothin

Banned
Hey guys, I just thought I'd share my Youtube channel if that's ok, I've been doing tutorial videos on how to fly but will dab into other things this week such as what weapons to spend cert points on and such! Might interest a few of you anyway. :)

Beginner guide to Reaver certs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKDOhLVfeL0&feature=relmfu

Flight guide for beginners and intermediate pilots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7YlwMvnsOA&feature=plcp

I'd love any feedback you guys have for me!

Nice tutorials...good explanations all around. I love your banking turns.

Hey guys, I just thought I'd share my Youtube channel if that's ok, I've been doing tutorial videos on how to fly but will dab into other things this week such as what weapons to spend cert points on and such! Might interest a few of you anyway. :)

Beginner guide to Reaver certs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKDOhLVfeL0&feature=relmfu

Flight guide for beginners and intermediate pilots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7YlwMvnsOA&feature=plcp

I'd love any feedback you guys have for me!

Awesome vids man, I've been trying to learn how to fly and this'll help :D

Top Bottom