• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

It seems they really are cracking down on AA injectors and the fov modifiers, so make sure you're not using any software that modifies the game in any way.

Card Boy

Banned
I dont see anything in the OP but is there any free codes or items i can get like the way FreeRealms has? I already got my 250 free Station Cash from awhile back.

Who thought it would be a good idea to include Friendly Fire in a game with battles of 500 v 500. Vehicles are flying people are running and shooting and throwing... I die more times by teammates accidently then by the opposing team. Not their fault for the most part as grenade physics make no sense, but I hope they patch out FF.

The grenade arc is super wonky--seems misaligned. Honestly though, I usually hate FF and haven't had any problems with it.

I seriously doubt you have more FF deaths than the opposing team. I wonder if there is a way to get stats on this, though. Maybe 1 in 20 of my deaths is FF? No idea, but not many.

MrBig

The grenade arc is super wonky--seems misaligned. Honestly though, I usually hate FF and haven't had any problems with it.

I seriously doubt you have more FF deaths than the opposing team. I wonder if there is a way to get stats on this, though. Maybe 1 in 20 of my deaths is FF? No idea, but not many.

Profile page>stats>sort the pie chart at the bottom by deaths

demidar

Managed to land a drop pod onto a Liberator. Didn't outright kill it and I died myself on impact, but I knocked it to the ground and it exploded.

mr_nothin

Banned
Excuse my extremely nub question but does a game ever end; or is a server just one big endless battle for territory?

Thanks

Winning comes in the form of continent domination & conquering. Once more continents are added, we'll be able to completely kick people off of a continent and really OWN it then move on to the next continent.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
i think my Phenom II x4 955 is choking my performance on this game as I'm running 2 GTX 460's and getting stutter even on medium. was hoping for a good deal on a 2500k/3570k over the past weekend but no luck really.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Winning comes in the form of continent domination & conquering. Once more continents are added, we'll be able to completely kick people off of a continent and really OWN it then move on to the next continent.

Trying to remember how factions can fight back after that happens. Can't be a permanent lockout.

Or is it just down to fighting out of your warpgate.

Not that I want to be on that end of a continent ass kicking, but I'd like to see what kind of hellacious battle it would be trying to fight from your warpgate and the surrounding encampments.

I get this weird rush when we're in the middle of a battle with NC, and suddenly realize that VS has joined the fight. Tail gunning in a Liberator, fighting off Reavers and Scythes as they fight each other...EPOCH

Is there a good tweak guide that goes over graphics settings and config tweaking? Someone here mentioned tweaking a cfg to force AA/downsampling. Wondering if there are any other "hidden" tweaks or graphic options that are extraneous/not noticeable.

MrBig

I get this weird rush when we're in the middle of a battle with NC, and suddenly realize that VS has joined the fight. Tail gunning in a Liberator, fighting off Reavers and Scythes as they fight each other...EPOCH

Is there a good tweak guide that goes over graphics settings and config tweaking? Someone here mentioned tweaking a cfg to force AA/downsampling. Wondering if there are any other "hidden" tweaks or graphic options that are extraneous/not noticeable.

ultra ini with some extra, invisible settings in in the tech section of the op

ultra ini with some extra, invisible settings in in the tech section of the op

icGUAmYho6xfk.gif

Ah, my bad!

mr_nothin

Banned
Trying to remember how factions can fight back after that happens. Can't be a permanent lockout.

Or is it just down to fighting out of your warpgate.

Not that I want to be on that end of a continent ass kicking, but I'd like to see what kind of hellacious battle it would be trying to fight from your warpgate and the surrounding encampments.

Each faction will end up having 1 home continent that has only 1 warpgate that cannot be taken. Indar belongs to TR, Amerish belongs to VS, and NC owns Esamir. Each 1 of those will have 1 warpgate that cant be taken and the other 2 are free for the taking.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Each faction will end up having 1 home continent that has only 1 warpgate that cannot be taken. Indar belongs to TR, Amerish belongs to VS, and NC owns Esamir. Each 1 of those will have 1 warpgate that cant be taken and the other 2 are free for the taking.

ok.

In that situation, what would be the procedure for the other factions getting back in?

i think my Phenom II x4 955 is choking my performance on this game as I'm running 2 GTX 460's and getting stutter even on medium. was hoping for a good deal on a 2500k/3570k over the past weekend but no luck really.

yup same here, my 1055t is struggling...I have noticed whenever there is any complex geometry to display the performance tanks (both in BF3 and Planetside 2). what a pos processor. but man those new intel processors are so far from release, don't want to get i5 or i7 atm.

MrBig

Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb) is having no fun at all with the game. Mentions it at 1:31:34 of latest Bombcast.

"JUST SHUT UP AND FUCKING FIGHT!"

He said it looked nice, though.

Have other players felt that way?

There have been a few people that have felt that way, as they game isn't for everyone of course, but there is no other game that offers the same experience of massive scale teamplay. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb) is having no fun at all with the game. Mentions it at 1:31:34 of latest Bombcast.

"JUST SHUT UP AND FUCKING FIGHT!"

He said it looked nice, though.

Have other players felt that way?

If you do not join squads that use Voice chat or a good Outfit (clan, guild, etc.), yes this game can be exactly as Jeff mentioned. But nothing beats rolling out in a group of 48 people in a tank column flanked by battle buses filled to the brim and air support to assault a heavily defended position. Learning how to fly takes a bit of work (like bf3) but with coordination, Flying and gunning a bomber with friends is also super rewarding.

If you like large scale shooters, I suggest giving this game a try (its free afterall) and definitely check out the game tutorials on the OP and PS2 site first. This game could really use a better tutorial

Tacitus_

If you do not join squads that use Voice chat or a good Outfit (clan, guild, etc.), yes this game can be exactly as Jeff mentioned. But nothing beats rolling out in a group of 48 people in a tank column flanked by battle buses filled to the brim and air support to assault a heavily defended position. Learning how to fly takes a bit of work (like bf3) but with coordination, Flying and gunning a bomber with friends is also super rewarding.

If you like large scale shooters, I suggest giving this game a try (its free afterall) and definitely check out the game tutorials on the OP and PS2 site first. This game could really use a better tutorial

Talking about flying - is it possible to make your mouse position matter and not just its current movement? Flying feels like a shoddy console port where you're supposed to be holding a stick in a direction to make something happen.

Talking about flying - is it possible to make your mouse position matter and not just its current movement? Flying feels like a shoddy console port where you're supposed to be holding a stick in a direction to make something happen.

I'm still a terrible pilot but I don't think so. I do use it to point the nose down and roll but I'm not sure about mouse position. Been trying to learn how to fly in 3rd person but I still have no idea how Ianan moves so god damn fast....

Check out these vids he posted, guy is a savant with the damn reaver...
Hey guys, I just thought I'd share my Youtube channel if that's ok, I've been doing tutorial videos on how to fly but will dab into other things this week such as what weapons to spend cert points on and such! Might interest a few of you anyway. :)

Beginner guide to Reaver certs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKDOhLVfeL0&feature=relmfu

Flight guide for beginners and intermediate pilots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7YlwMvnsOA&feature=plcp

I'd love any feedback you guys have for me!

MrBig

Q&A with Higby and Tramell

e:
picking this out because I know there were a few people posting concerns about color identification

Q: Will there be an option to change up the colors some for color blind individuals? I am forced to join the TR as I cannot see the difference in VS/NC colors on maps. I'm forced to be TR because theirs is the only color that stands out to me and I know I won't be attacking my own bases and the like.

A: Better indicators for friend vs foe are going to be coming soon, with some options to allow you to switch between modes such as "Enemy / Friendly" mode where all friendly objectives, vehicles, etc would share a color and all enemies regardless of empire would be another color - this will be easier for us to make color-blind-proof. We will also have an "Empire Color" mode, where everything is strictly empire color (so for TR nearby friendly characters would have a red triangle over their head, and show up as red indicators on the minimap, friendly TR objectives would be red, enemy NC objectives would be Blue). This is similar to the "Ally color"/"player color" mode switch you can find in RTS / Moba game's minimaps.

They also confirmed that there will be 3 continents released next year. Searhus is first, basically a big volcano in the center with ragged terrain, will be similar to Amerish I assume; Hossin, the jungle/swamp that has been commented on in the past as being more infantry focused; Oshur, in a past interview, was described as being really similar to the PS1 Old Oshur in design to appease vets that are looking for something a little more traditional. I've got some PS1 screenshots of these in the OP.

Next two months are going to be focused on releasing bug fixes and optimizations rather than new content.

Sanic

I simply can't get this game to work, even though I played the beta just fine.

Downloaded from Steam yesterday, I launch it, and it crashes about 20% into the initial load. Can't seem to do anything to fix that so I uninstall and reinstall. This time it crashes the moment it starts to load after hitting Play in the launcher. I verify cache integrity, launch again and now get a G37 error. Try out a few things from this thread to no avail. I now verify game files from within the launcher itself, and am back to square one, with a crash about 20% into the load.

Liberty4all

Banned

lol were you on amerish this morning? I lead the vs charge on that tech plant the tr and nc were fighting over ... Straight up scene from the trailer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Are you talking about the mouse's position on the surface? There's no way to track that. But I think I know what you mean. The vehicle returns to equilibrium after each adjustment, right? Like an arcadey flight model.

I have not been able to get this game to work. When I click play it just says game is loading please wait, and it will sit there forever. I have reinstalled it 3 times. Turned off my anti-virus. But it's still doing it. Anyone else have this problem?

I also tried both Steam and the client version from the site.

It let me login now.

I really wish I could make a VS character on Mattherson (I have a TR one there now)

I made it before I realized the outfit on Mattherson was VS

MrBig

It let me login now.

I really wish I could make a VS character on Mattherson (I have a TR one there now)

I made it before I realized the outfit on Mattherson was VS

Not sure then

You will be able to create multiple chars per server soon, I believe

interesting things from the Games Radar stream

• Reiterating the player/outfit created facilities coming at some point (using modular pieces)
  • User created content being implemented from SOE's new player workshop system, first up being Outfit decals.
  • More PhysX effects than what we saw at the end of the Beta will be implemented over time
  • aggregate ~100 years of playtime per day for the first week
  • Mission system still a WIP, thought behind it is to give a way for commanders to give more direction to the players who want to play alone but contribute to the overall effort
  • Each class is going to get an update pass to expand their capabilities/options
  • Infantry AA is designed to be a deterrent to Air, not a direct countermeasure, rather to have air superiority be countered by opposing air and vice versa
  • They want there to be options for infantry weaponry that are similar to how opposing factions weapons perform, but still keep unique aspects and for the base weapons to have their own feel for each faction
  • eSports support is coming but will not be separate from the rest of the game, to prevent splintering. Leaderboards will based on actual in-game outfit performance. There will be an observer mode (flycam + followcam) available to select people for when eSports tournaments are held.
  • Once more continents are in there will be a more linear progression of continental conquest similar to PS1.
  • Optimization of the relevant character culling system, better systems to decide what players to render in the biggest range at the best performance, eg snipers seeing everything they need to see in range of their scopes
  • NPC alien invasions, other rare developer triggered special events
  • Dynamic weather is still a "in the future" feature, no ETA
  • Player stat site still over a week away from going live
  • Redesign of the small outpost spawn room; natural blockers against vehicles to prevent camping in the interim
  • Possibility of an urban continent
  • Expansion of Infil hacking certs

mr_nothin

Banned
In the tinychat hangout yesterday, Higby also stated that the mission system should include macro AND micro/local commands. So from "We need Air Support at Zurvan" all the way to "Take out the SCU".
Also, expansion of Infiltrator hacks might include hacking vehicles to either drive them or setting a timer to make them detonate.

demolitio

Holy shit at all of those bullet points. I'm really enjoying this now and it looks like they're improving it so people will play for years to come.

I need to figure out what time the TR makes their big moves on Matherson because it seems to be the most inconsistent army ever. They zerg rush and win or zerg rush and fail miserably on the other fronts since every idiot wants to be a part of the blitzkrieg while the other bases are left wide open.

This game is amazing the more and more I put into it. I just wish I had a good controller configuration for the days when my hands are acting up. Hopefully my new mouse will help with that a little bit for the time being until it progresses more.

Top Bottom