• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What I really want:

1) The ability to hack vehicles to shut them down temporarily or make them blow up, removable only by other infiltrators.
2) The ability to hack teleportals to move around quickly.

Oh by the way, if you guys have 200 certs lying around and your favorite class is Infiltrator, I highly suggest you pick up the claymore. Most of the time, they're free kills. Sometimes, they're free double kills.

MrBig

What I really want:

1) The ability to hack vehicles to shut them down temporarily or make them blow up, removable only by other infiltrators.
2) The ability to hack teleportals to move around quickly.

Oh by the way, if you guys have 200 certs lying around and your favorite class is Infiltrator, I highly suggest you pick up the claymore. Most of the time, they're free kills. Sometimes, they're free double kills.
yes one of the certs he referenced was overloading vehicles

teles could be interesting, but only if you hacked both end or if it didn't interupt the owning factions use

Haly

teles could be interesting, but only if you hacked both end or if it didn't interupt the owning factions use
I think hacking both ends would be kind of demanding but I guess it would lend to team-play.

Another possibility is allowing infiltrators to straight up disable shields for like, 10 seconds or so.

mr_nothin

Banned
HOOOOLY SHIT
Massive 3 way dog fighting and HUGE battle going on at Split Peak on Amerish. like 40 tanks on either side of the base with GALs flying around doing drops and dozens (seriously...dozens) of aircraft all dogfighting it out. This is awesome.

Server is Mattherson. Hurry and get on if you seriously want some EPIC

EDIT: Annnndd it's over, man that was awesome.

game crashes after pressing "Play" on launcher. it worked this morning. i thought at first it was because i added it to steam list, but i tried the shortcut that was made after installing. no go :\ maybe it's the intro lol. how do i disable?

also already tried validating the game as well.

EDIT: just read the support. it's because of the USB game controller (Xbox controller) that crashes. works now after i unplugged.

tbhysgb

I can't figure out why my game is acting up. The game just randomly locks up and crashes on me anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour. I was running the game on high and it runs great, even tried setting textures to medium and nothing. Still crashed. I even downloaded recent nvidia drivers.

I just wanted to play, the game was hooking me in :(

TheD

The Detective
What would be nice is if the stupid game had working LODs for the ammo towers so you don't crash into them because they popped out of nowhere when you are using a once a month weapon trial!

Log4Girlz

Man, sometimes I love sniping. Some dude was pestering a team-mate on a ridge. Kill his ass, head shot...from what appears to be hundreds of yards away. Ok so someone revives him. Kill him again. Revived again. Tried to kill him again but the ducked behind the ridge. So I just move a few yards to my side and kill him again. He gets revived again, but this time I'm able to head shot the medic and then head shot the other dude. Oh man so satisfying.

Anyway, a little later we take over one of those dome thingies. Dude I don't even know what the fuck it is, there is no exposition in this game. Well some dudes land like on the dome itself. I'm able to snipe the guy from like across the fucking map. I mean, this shit was almost on the horizon.

MrBig

I wish there were quests.
Mission system yeah, but this is no RPG.
I can't figure out why my game is acting up. The game just randomly locks up and crashes on me anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour. I was running the game on high and it runs great, even tried setting textures to medium and nothing. Still crashed. I even downloaded recent nvidia drivers.

In the little time I've spent with the game on my laptop post launch, I had more crashes than I did throughout beta on my desktop. So, there may be optimization bugs that only effect lower graphics settings, so try playing around with the settings a bit.
So I decided to try it out, how do servers work. Does Gaf have a preferred server or what?

EDIT: How about factions?

If you haven't already checked the OP for this info, the majority of GAF is currently VS on Mattherson. We have a VS outfit set up there as well as a TR outfit set up on Connery.

Deadly

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Man, I'm really into this game now. I can land a mosquito on a pin tip and snipe 3 headshots a minute. Practically every time I log in I have these mind-alteringly good experiences.

mr_nothin

Banned
I remember when I 1st got in the beta and I was super worried about the endgame and feeling a sense of accomplishment and completeness. Everything felt a little daunting and I had a feeling of emptiness and wondered about why I would keep playing this.

Man is that bullshit all out the window now. Having no traditional endgame is making this TOO addicting. I play for hours on end and all I can think about is "we have to kick some VS/NC ass and push them BACK!". The core gameplay is just my type of gameplay.

It's just so fun and dynamic that I'm still having "omg this is awesome" experiences even after the 800 or 900 hours I've put into the game already. I just had some of the best 5 hours in gaming just now and I STILL want to play more right now but I have responsibilities in the morning :(

Then they're just going to keep adding more weapons, more base types, more continents, more mechanics, more abilities, more certs, naval battles, space battles, outfit owned bases, user-created content, etc etc. The list goes on and on and on. I dont think I'll ever stop playing this game.

This game man....this game

demolitio

Stupid question time but I can't seem to find it and only hope it exists...Is there a place where you can view all the different optics as in what they actually look like aiming down the sights? A preview showing them would be a great help considering how costly each decision is with certs. I spent my certs on a 3.4x that I hate.

Some place that just shows you what each reticule looks like would be a huge help.

It would be cool if an ancient alien race popped up from time to time and you could kill the fuckers for temporary boosts.

They drop special technology you can use for so long if you defeat them. Then we'll show Vanu what alien weaponry looks like.

Liberty4all

Banned
I remember when I 1st got in the beta and I was super worried about the endgame and feeling a sense of accomplishment and completeness. Everything felt a little daunting and I had a feeling of emptiness and wondered about why I would keep playing this.

Man is that bullshit all out the window now. Having no traditional endgame is making this TOO addicting. I play for hours on end and all I can think about is "we have to kick some VS/NC ass and push them BACK!". The core gameplay is just my type of gameplay.

It's just so fun and dynamic that I'm still having "omg this is awesome" experiences even after the 800 or 900 hours I've put into the game already. I just had some of the best 5 hours in gaming just now and I STILL want to play more right now but I have responsibilities in the morning :(

Then they're just going to keep adding more weapons, more base types, more continents, more mechanics, more abilities, more certs, naval battles, space battles, outfit owned bases, user-created content, etc etc. The list goes on and on and on. I dont think I'll ever stop playing this game.

This game man....this game

yup. They did a great job capturing what made PS1 great, but with much better mechanics and graphics.

YoungFa

Stupid question time but I can't seem to find it and only hope it exists...Is there a place where you can view all the different optics as in what they actually look like aiming down the sights? A preview showing them would be a great help considering how costly each decision is with certs. I spent my certs on a 3.4x that I hate.

Some place that just shows you what each reticule looks like would be a huge help.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/planetside-2/New_Conglomerate_Optics

Haly

Mattherson TR in a nutshell:
iCCGvqG4HKSU1.jpg

Vlodril

This game is great. I was in a full platoon yesterday and we started with more than half the map in our possesion and the enemies still pushed us back to 1/3. air superiority kicked our ass.. they have more than 20 airplanes strafing the bases and killing everything that moved.. it was awesome to see.

Also this game makes me want to shout ENEMY EVERYWHERE (mass effect has drilled that shout into my brain) all the time.

Aegus

Lone Wolf Light Assault is best assault.

I was jumping in and out of NC squads as a VS LA, reigning death from everywhere. Ran out of bullets and started knifing people in the back instead.

Haly

Playing Infiltrator as a group is usually a poor choice, as well. You have a significantly higher chance of being discovered, and you'll take collateral damage from any rockets/explosives aimed at the idiots just standing on a cliff blindly.

The most effective way to play Infiltrator is, at most, as a team of 2. Or with a small squad for ninja capping, which is a wholly different way to play Infiltrator.

lol were you on amerish this morning? I lead the vs charge on that tech plant the tr and nc were fighting over ... Straight up scene from the trailer.

Nah, I was on it the day before. Unfortunately, I am VS on Mattherson but my friends decided to roll TR on SolTech, so I've pretty much just been playing there.

Kinda--if a class has access to that weapon/weapon class, they can use it. My TR engineer can use the Lync machine gun that I bought for my light assault.

ONLY time this game sucks if your lone wolf or in a random squad.

Random squads aren't so bad; what makes them suck is if the squad leader doesn't use waypoints and/or the squad doesn't follow them.

Reiterating the player/outfit created facilities coming at some point (using modular pieces)
User created content being implemented from SOE's new player workshop system, first up being Outfit decals.

These sound very cool--I wonder how far this will expand? Steam-like workshop?

Mission system still a WIP, thought behind it is to give a way for commanders to give more direction to the players who want to play alone but contribute to the overall effort

Excellent! I really like the dynamic mission systems in stuff like Section 8: Prejudice. This sounds similar, though player-controlled?

Infantry AA is designed to be a deterrent to Air, not a direct countermeasure, rather to have air superiority be countered by opposing air and vice versa

Nice! This is something BF3 got wrong, then right, then wrong again. Infantry AA shouldn't be able to singlehandedly take down aircraft. It should be able to cause damage/disruption, but if they want to take one down, it should require MULTIPLE infantry AA.

NPC alien invasions, other rare developer triggered special events
Dynamic weather is still a "in the future" feature, no ETA

YESSSS

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I have not done alot of Infiltrator or MAX.

I imagine the squad map points could be set on targets to destroy (say an enemy sunderer) Maybe make a squad to spot and take out targets like that. Would help flyers spot targets and make strafing/bombing runs.

Haly

My go-to classes have been Infiltrator, Engineer and HA. Infiltrator most of the time, Engineer when I'm in a Sunderer or sniping is too difficult (large scale vehicle dominated battles), and HA to counter tank pushes because I suck at driving tanks.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'm signing up now, but it looks like your "station name" is that your account name? Has to be alphanumeric? I have to have a # in my name?

Can someone verify?

MrBig

I'm signing up now, but it looks like your "station name" is that your account name? Has to be alphanumeric? I have to have a # in my name?

Can someone verify?

You shouldn't have to include a number, no. The station name isn't used in-game in any case

alphaNoid

Banned
You shouldn't have to include a number, no. The station name isn't used in-game in any case

Ok thank, just odd. Either of the names I"m using (pretty unique) won't work so I'm just checking in advance. Last question, which faction should I join for GAF? Is there one more active than another?

We just capped an island from the scumbag VS.

Seems like the only time they like to do a stand-up fight is the middle of the night when everyone's asleep and the pop cap is in their favor.

Top Bottom