• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Once my 7 day XP boost is up, I'll play more VS on Mattherson/join the platoon.

It's a crime that cert points/funds/boosts are tied to servers/characters and not the account.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'll make sure to friend you once you put your character name in the doc so we can get you into the outfit as soon as possible. My in-game name is Jaerin.

I will most likely play as "alphaNoid" but will update the doc as soon as I secure that name. Currently still installing...

Once my 7 day XP boost is up, I'll play more VS on Mattherson/join the platoon.

It's a crime that cert points/funds/boosts are tied to servers/characters and not the account.

That sounds like a feature SOE would use early on to acquire more income from the pay customers and over time as players leave the game they have wiggle room to then change those boosts to apply to all accounts. I would gather they built some of that in on purpose to offset the F2P aspect and have room to scale. At least, that would make sense.. but what do I know lol

MrBig

I made a spreadsheet planning out what cert paths I want to take and their priority, because there's too damn many of them to remember. Check it out if you want to do something similar

heh, with all those people in VS on Mattherson, and the outfit listing 53 members..seems like it's quiet. I spent about 2 hours last night as the only person online in the entire outfit.

I think Bamelin recruited a bunch of randoms in as well as gaffers

maybe we should do a spam invite wave of all the VS/mattherson guys on the list once the offline outfit invite has been rectified :lol

Jhriad

Hopefully they change that. I'd very much like it if my Station Cash unlocks were unlocked account wide. I don't anticipate playing on another server/character much but I would like to hop over and play with some of you all occasionally.

Liberty4all

Banned
I made a spreadsheet planning out what cert paths I want to take and their priority, because there's too damn many of them to remember. Check it out if you want to do something similar

I think Bamelin recruited a bunch of randoms in as well as gaffers

maybe we should do a spam invite wave of all the VS/mattherson guys on the list once the offline outfit invite has been rectified :lol

yeah basically there wasn't enough of us online to make the outfit sustainable without randoms. The good news is though there is usually enough of us online now to get an outfit squad going during prime time so gafers have a place to go.

Liberty4all

Banned
We just capped an island from the scumbag VS.

Seems like the only time they like to do a stand-up fight is the middle of the night when everyone's asleep and the pop cap is in their favor.

meh. We obliterated the TR today on esamir ... It was awesome to see the vanu putting up serious AA fire ... Got SO many mosquito kills as tr pilots refused to recognize that YES ground troops CAN kill you after all!

4 double burster maxes can dominate the skies.

Jhriad

Added to the sheet, feel free to friend whenever or add me in.

Thanks

Server is being restarted currently but I'll log in once it's back up to friend you and if you're online I'll get you into the outfit.

Man, I wish everything wasn't 1000 cert...

It takes forever to legitimately get.

Yeah, really makes you think about picking up Station Cash during the 2:1 or 3:1 SC sales. Anyone know if you redeem a Station Cash card during one of the promotions does it increase the value commensurately to what you would get via the promotion?

EDIT: After doing a little looking it looks like they have double points promotions for cards pretty frequently. Might consider picking up a few and then giving them out to outfit members in a raffle when these promotions hit.

Sethos

Banned
Haven't followed the thread at all and I do apologize as these will be repeat question.

I heard talk of the Steam version not working with EU accounts, false, true and / or fixed?

MrBig

Yeah, really makes you think about picking up Station Cash during the 2:1 or 3:1 SC sales. Anyone know if you redeem a Station Cash card during one of the promotions does it increase the value commensurately to what you would get via the promotion?

EDIT: After doing a little looking it looks like they have double points promotions for cards pretty frequently. Might consider picking up a few and then giving them out to outfit members in a raffle when these promotions hit.

I'm just purchasing SC on double/triple days and getting primary weapons with them, saving certs for actual upgrades. $60 on a triple cash day will probably set you up with everything you need for a long while

The battle rifle is my favorite purchase so far, btw. that thing is fantastic for how I play

Haven't followed the thread at all and I do apologize as these will be repeat question.

I heard talk of the Steam version not working with EU accounts, false, true and / or fixed?

No one has posted about it since the first couple days so I assume it's fine.

I would make an account through SOE and not the EU prosebian thing though

Sethos

Banned
So I reserved the name Sethos, log into my account and it says the name is unavailable ... How do you use a reserved name?

EDIT: Apparently someone else has the name and it never reserved it for me. Fuck this shit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah basically there wasn't enough of us online to make the outfit sustainable without randoms. The good news is though there is usually enough of us online now to get an outfit squad going during prime time so gafers have a place to go.

Still, for what seems to be the largest group of GAF'ers on the most GAF Populated server, it's been low. But I guess large outings are possibly better for the weekend.

Perhaps a time column for the list. My weekly hours are in the 7-11 pm CST, that sort of thing. Better to see whom might overlap more.

I splurged during some christmas shopping, and picked up a $15 Planetside card, after seeing the "Free N-11A" gun. So now I've added that, A2A for Scythe and a A2A for HAssault. Was tired of getting Locked on while flying, and tired of getting swarmed by TR's jets, so I got some gear that can at least scare them off.

Reserved the name before installing? Was it your Station Name, or character name?

MrBig

So I reserved the name Sethos, log into my account and it says the name is unavailable ... How do you use a reserved name?

EDIT: Apparently someone else has the name and it never reserved it for me. Fuck this shit.

When did you do the reservation? They delayed it and cleared out all the reservations from the first, un advertised alpha squad sign ups in order to accommodate the Sandy power outages.

Sethos

Banned
When did you do the reservation? They delayed it and cleared out all the reservations from the first, un advertised alpha squad sign ups in order to accommodate the Sandy power outages.

Can't remember, definitely a few weeks ago - Some time after I received the "Name Reservation!" email. If I lost the nick I'm filing for a chargeback on Alpha squad.

MrBig

Can't remember, definitely a few weeks ago - Some time after I received the "Name Reservation!" email. If I lost the nick I'm filing for a chargeback on Alpha squad.

I would just go through support and see what they say anyway, they have been very open about refunds and getting ingame stuff like this rectified, I haven't seen one negative support story yet.

Jhriad

I'm just purchasing SC on double/triple days and getting primary weapons with them, saving certs for actual upgrades. $60 on a triple cash day will probably set you up with everything you need for a long while

Not too worried about myself since I started with over 7000 SC but I would like some way to gift 500-1000 SC to outfit mates easily.

Sethos

Banned
I would just go through support and see what they say anyway, they have been very open about refunds and getting ingame stuff like this rectified, I haven't seen one negative support story yet.

Thanks, I'll just make a ticket and since someone else is already using the name I can already predict the outcome, a refund. Shame.

Ketch

Someone had a youtube link for some early reaver cert tips, can you repost?

I'm really getting into the mosquito, and I'm pretty much finished setting up my light infantry build. So what should be the first things I invest in for my steal bird of prey?

MrBig

Smedley on account wide SC purchases

We are looking into this seriously. I would say we are over the "should we" part of the argument and into the "how can we" part. We've been reading the threads about this and it's fair to say we agree with the point of view that a lot of things you purchase should be account wide.

Do not read this as "this is going to be in tomorrow". It's a significant amount of work. It sounds simple but there are a lot of ramifications and systems this touches under the hood.

When we do this we'll make sure it's retroactive to stuff you've already purchased that falls under the account wide category. Obviously there are simple issues like empire specific weapons.. etc. That's where a lot of the complications come from.

But we're looking closely at this and hope to announce something fairly soon.

Thanks

Smed

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I remember when I 1st got in the beta and I was super worried about the endgame and feeling a sense of accomplishment and completeness. Everything felt a little daunting and I had a feeling of emptiness and wondered about why I would keep playing this.

Man is that bullshit all out the window now. Having no traditional endgame is making this TOO addicting. I play for hours on end and all I can think about is "we have to kick some VS/NC ass and push them BACK!". The core gameplay is just my type of gameplay.

It's just so fun and dynamic that I'm still having "omg this is awesome" experiences even after the 800 or 900 hours I've put into the game already. I just had some of the best 5 hours in gaming just now and I STILL want to play more right now but I have responsibilities in the morning :(

Then they're just going to keep adding more weapons, more base types, more continents, more mechanics, more abilities, more certs, naval battles, space battles, outfit owned bases, user-created content, etc etc. The list goes on and on and on. I dont think I'll ever stop playing this game.

This game man....this game
Do you play in an outfit? Or just merc with random squads/lone wolf?

oktarb

Man I seriously need to work on my KB/Mouse layout. Left hand, movement and numbers. Thumb jumps but where oh where do I put my sprint. Seems like a very needed button.

Liberty4all

Banned
Still, for what seems to be the largest group of GAF'ers on the most GAF Populated server, it's been low. But I guess large outings are possibly better for the weekend.

Perhaps a time column for the list. My weekly hours are in the 7-11 pm CST, that sort of thing. Better to see whom might overlap more.

I splurged during some christmas shopping, and picked up a $15 Planetside card, after seeing the "Free N-11A" gun. So now I've added that, A2A for Scythe and a A2A for HAssault. Was tired of getting Locked on while flying, and tired of getting swarmed by TR's jets, so I got some gear that can at least scare them off.

Reserved the name before installing? Was it your Station Name, or character name?

while we've invited randoms the majority of invites were to gafers ... I find gaf is on mostly between 8 est - 12 est on mattherson.

Sethos

Banned
This is really weird. Under my account it says I've purchased Alpha Squad, I have 4000 of those points but when logging in it says "Become a premium member today!" and I'm put in a 5 minute queue.

Isn't Alpha Squad premium or do you have to buy that on the side with those points?

Orayn

Man I seriously need to work on my KB/Mouse layout. Left hand, movement and numbers. Thumb jumps but where oh where do I put my sprint. Seems like a very needed button.

How about the default, shift? If you don't like having to reach and hold it down, there's an option to make it a toggle instead.

Lonestar

This is really weird. Under my account it says I've purchased Alpha Squad, I have 4000 of those points but when logging in it says "Become a premium member today!" and I'm put in a 5 minute queue.

Isn't Alpha Squad premium or do you have to buy that on the side with those points?

From what I remember, Alpha Squad was entry into the Beta (worthless now) 4000 points, some guns, 6 months of XP boost (which is already similar to what the regular "premium membership" is) and some skins and a title.

The Premium membership is an XP Boost for however long you are subscribed (increases in % for the 1st 6 months), 500 SC every month, increases in resources, and the ability to not wait long in queues.

Glad to hear the Account Wide SC purchases are coming. Kind of worried when I heard that SA/GOONS joined up on Mattherson, I think mostly as NC. Could be an ongoing headache. Account wide purchases would help if I wanted to move servers.

mr_nothin

Banned
Do you play in an outfit? Or just merc with random squads/lone wolf?

The usual, lone wolfing but attaching to different groups that are pushing areas that need to be pushed. One of the main reasons I dont play with squads/outfits is because they basically just call out orders on a macro level. Nobody calls out enemy positions or say "cover this building" or "you cover point A, I'll cover point B". There's no micro-management within the squads atm. I do a much better job at making macro decisions on my own.

EDIT: Whoops double post...

demolitio

TR might have received a whoopin' on two continents last night on Mahterson (thanks to a two front war that our team can't manage to understand) but we routed everyone on Amerish for quite a while. The game is so fun when it all comes together for one HUGE battle.

this game needs a commander mode and squad managment BF2 style, it will be difficult to implement but it really needs it. Half the time, I am running around the map like a retard

MrBig

This looks to be one of the powerful mobile facilities flying fortresses super lodestars that SOE talked about a long time ago
eQVmV.jpg

this game needs a commander mode and squad managment BF2 style, it will be difficult to implement but it really needs it. Half the time, I am running around the map like a retard

Squad leaders and Platoon leaders can set separate waypoints for the platoon, and for each squad. Squad Leaders can also cert up and set priority targets, among others (can't remember).

Deadly

I think getting a the new nvidia driver/reinstalling a driver fixed my crashes. Just played for awhile crash-free :D. Platoon was capping places in Esamir freely and I was wondering where the fuck the VS/NC was. Couple minutes later we totally got our asses handed to us hahaha

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The usual, lone wolfing but attaching to different groups that are pushing areas that need to be pushed. One of the main reasons I dont play with squads/outfits is because they basically just call out orders on a macro level. Nobody calls out enemy positions or say "cover this building" or "you cover point A, I'll cover point B". There's no micro-management within the squads atm. I do a much better job at making macro decisions on my own.

EDIT: Whoops double post...
How do you know where the hot spots are? Is there some kind of alert system outside of the game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do you guys play this through steam or the launcher itself? Any reason to use the steam version? (i believe I saw it up on steam)
You can see your friends playing planetside and they can see you.*

*This may be a reason to not use the launcher if you don't like your friends.

MrBig

Do you guys play this through steam or the launcher itself? Any reason to use the steam version? (i believe I saw it up on steam)

No, steam just downloads the same launcher. It'll add PS2 to your steam library but you can do that manually as well.

Lonestar

No, steam just downloads the same launcher. It'll add PS2 to your steam library but you can do that manually as well.

Was wondering, if you used Steam to get the installer/download, does the Steam Library page for PS2 have a more "complete" quality to it? I downloaded PS2 separately, and then added the game to steam, and it's pretty much just a "play button" and that's it.

I would love to see that giant mobile airship. Just wonder how it would be purchase. Seeing the turrets makes me wonder if it could be shot down. I'd hope it could. Imagine 3 of those (3 factions) up in the air, battling it out, with all kinds of shite happening around it.

mr_nothin

Banned
How do you know where the hot spots are? Is there some kind of alert system outside of the game?

See, that's the thing. I dont go around looking for hot spots. I go to places that would make sense for our faction to push if we're on offensive mode. If we're on defensive mode, then I go to places that make sense for the enemy to push.

Where I go really depends on what makes sense strategically. A lot of the time, big battles just end up forming where I am because it makes sense strategically. It feels really good when I go to an outpost to go head to head against a whole squad and stop them....or at least bug/annoy them enough to slow their push down and then reinforcements from my faction come in. Thats one of the best feelings, to know that I picked the right area to focus on and I slowed them down enough to have my team come in and push their whole front back.

After pushing them back for a while, we naturally run into their reinforcements. The best advice I have is to stay on the ground and push where it makes sense and let things happen naturally. People need to stop warping around looking for hotspots. You either run into a place that's already taken or you come in at the tail end of it.

tbhysgb

Reinstalled Win7 because I had a bad case of winrot going but went x64 this time around. Seemed to fix my issues.

I'm having so much fun with this game. It's like MAG on steroids :)

Keasar

The NC faction on my server may be not the sharpest tools of the bunch, but my outfit and I just had a big moment of awesome.

That little point there, smack dab in the middle of the map, was NC territory for over an hour. The other empires captured everything around it so we were caught in the middle between the Vanu and Terrans. We decided to hold our ground as long as we could and did for over an hour. We held off roughly 3-4 big air assaults where both the either empires tried to take the tower. While we held it we did some Liberator harrassing assaults against outlying outposts and bases, just to shake up both empires more and piss them off. Then after the hour we got bored since both the Vanu and Terrans seemed to have given up on trying to take it back and wanted to get back on the front again.

It was glorious. :D

Jhriad

The NC faction on my server may be not the sharpest tools of the bunch, but my outfit and I just had a big moment of awesome.

That little point there, smack dab in the middle of the map, was NC territory for over an hour. The other empires captured everything around it so we were caught in the middle between the Vanu and Terrans. We decided to hold our ground as long as we could and did for over an hour. We held off roughly 3-4 big air assaults where both the either empires tried to take the tower. While we held it we did some Liberator harrassing assaults against outlying outposts and bases, just to shake up both empires more and piss them off. Then after the hour we got bored since both the Vanu and Terrans seemed to have given up on trying to take it back and wanted to get back on the front again.

It was glorious. :D

Always love when this stuff happens. You and some of your squadmates hold an outpost long past when you should have been overrun. Eventually the tide turns and your empire surges back to the old combat lines to reunite with your forces.

Top Bottom