• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Rufus

Just had the weirdest glitch. First lag, then what looked like a lockup, flickering textures (like on and off, I could see through the world). It cleared up in less than ten seconds, but my vertical axis was shifted to the left until I re-spawned. Felt like I was drunk.

Deadly

Just had the weirdest glitch. First lag, then what looked like a lockup, flickering textures (like on and off, I could see through the world). It cleared up in less than ten seconds, but my vertical axis was shifted to the left until I re-spawned. Felt like I was drunk.
I've had this before except it never cleared up :lol

My biggest problem is the recoil is fucking horrible. I play TR on Connery as Heavy Assault and I'm using a TMG-50 as my main weapon. I've taken the certs for 3.6x red dot scope as well as for horizontal and vertical stabilizers. It's STILL a huge pain to shoot accurately at a moving target.

Combine that with lag when someone may "stutter" around a bit and it's really difficult.

Any ideas? Am I using the wrong weapon for accurate shots as Heavy Assault?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I tend to stagger my shots to manage the recoil. It works for me, although I feel like HA is not the best class for long range shooting. For hitting infantry targets afar, I usually take out the rocket launcher.

I tend to stagger my shots to manage the recoil. It works for me, although I feel like HA is not the best class for long range shooting. For hitting infantry targets afar, I usually take out the rocket launcher.

Oh yea. I mean...I'm not trying to be an effective sniper. But I just mean medium range I should be able to hold my own. Like when I'm in a base and shooting someone below me when they're moving. Bullets just spray everywhere.

"Oh yea. I mean...I'm not trying to be an effective sniper. But I just mean medium range I should be able to hold my own. Like when I'm in a base and shooting someone below me when they're moving. Bullets just spray everywhere."

Like he said, don't just hold down m1, tap the mouse button a lot to keep recoil under control.

Lockon

Just started playing recently. Game is a lot of fun. I've been playing lonewolf most of the time and join random squad some other time to get a better feel of the game.
I just added myself to the player list so if I could get an invite to the outfit that would be great.
Here my info just in case:
IGN: Ashsaber , Server: Matterson , Faction: Vanu

mr_nothin

Banned
The NC faction on my server may be not the sharpest tools of the bunch, but my outfit and I just had a big moment of awesome.

That little point there, smack dab in the middle of the map, was NC territory for over an hour. The other empires captured everything around it so we were caught in the middle between the Vanu and Terrans. We decided to hold our ground as long as we could and did for over an hour. We held off roughly 3-4 big air assaults where both the either empires tried to take the tower. While we held it we did some Liberator harrassing assaults against outlying outposts and bases, just to shake up both empires more and piss them off. Then after the hour we got bored since both the Vanu and Terrans seemed to have given up on trying to take it back and wanted to get back on the front again.

It was glorious. :D

BUT ITS THE CROWN!!
Amirite?

demolitio

Man, I wish more people had the certs or cash to upgrade their secondary weapons on the tanks because some of them are awesome. I kept magically finding this same guy 3 different times at 3 totally different spots and I always hopped in his tank to gun and he had basically a TOW missile launcher on the top except it was fire and forget. That thing could wreck enemy tanks yet most people don't even wait for gunners in tanks. This guy always was in the battle and always waited for a gunner and played to my advantages as well knowing that it can make a huge difference in a push.

I suppose people are still spending certs on the more personal stuff that benefits them the most so maybe I'll see more of that in the future. That made that huge tank battle worth it as we plowed through and speed right by them so I could get a shot at their rear armor.

Another thing I noticed is a lot of Liberators with no gunners in them which boggles my mind. I hope they were going to another base to pick up a gunner, but I'm talking at least 10 within a short period of time at the warp gate went off without anyone in them to help. It defeats the purpose of the Liberator which is underused already.

mr_nothin

Banned
Man, I wish more people had the certs or cash to upgrade their secondary weapons on the tanks because some of them are awesome. I kept magically finding this same guy 3 different times at 3 totally different spots and I always hopped in his tank to gun and he had basically a TOW missile launcher on the top except it was fire and forget. That thing could wreck enemy tanks yet most people don't even wait for gunners in tanks. This guy always was in the battle and always waited for a gunner and played to my advantages as well knowing that it can make a huge difference in a push.

I suppose people are still spending certs on the more personal stuff that benefits them the most so maybe I'll see more of that in the future. That made that huge tank battle worth it as we plowed through and speed right by them so I could get a shot at their rear armor.

Another thing I noticed is a lot of Liberators with no gunners in them which boggles my mind. I hope they were going to another base to pick up a gunner, but I'm talking at least 10 within a short period of time at the warp gate went off without anyone in them to help. It defeats the purpose of the Liberator which is underused already.

The Halberd? Yea it's pretty awesome and yea more ppl need to buy 2ndary weapons.
Liberators w/ no gunners most of the time...means that they're just using it for transport because they arent in a squad and the instant action timer isnt down to 0.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I jumped in a magrider earlier, and he installed a one shot secondary gun. Now, it wasn't fire and forget, but it was pretty devastating. Like having a 2nd main gun.

MrBig

Man, I wish more people had the certs or cash to upgrade their secondary weapons on the tanks because some of them are awesome.

I would do this but the way they segregated turrets after release makes me hesitate. I certainly would buy secondary turrets if they unlocked that specific turret for all vehicles/positions.

Sethos

Banned
Oh phew, I wasn't crazy after all :p

Thanks for contacting PlanetSide 2 in-game support, I'm Operative Ijaae.

I do see that you did have the name "Sethos" reserved to this account. What I am going to do is send this ticket up to the Lead Operatives to see what can be done to assist you, as you should have been the only person who could use the name. We will update this ticket as soon as we have more information for you. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Concept17

How the hell do I shoot down aircraft in this game without having to spend 1000 points? Air absolutely dominating everywhere in this game. That coupled with a handful of tanks is all anyone ever needs.

Tacitus_

How the hell do I shoot down aircraft in this game without having to spend 1000 points? Air absolutely dominating everywhere in this game. That coupled with a handful of tanks is all anyone ever needs.

Learn to fly yourself, or get a MAX with an AA gun. Lone MAXes mostly tickle so you'll need a couple to get a proper effect.

Dina

The NC faction on my server may be not the sharpest tools of the bunch, but my outfit and I just had a big moment of awesome.

That little point there, smack dab in the middle of the map, was NC territory for over an hour. The other empires captured everything around it so we were caught in the middle between the Vanu and Terrans. We decided to hold our ground as long as we could and did for over an hour. We held off roughly 3-4 big air assaults where both the either empires tried to take the tower. While we held it we did some Liberator harrassing assaults against outlying outposts and bases, just to shake up both empires more and piss them off. Then after the hour we got bored since both the Vanu and Terrans seemed to have given up on trying to take it back and wanted to get back on the front again.

It was glorious. :D

Hey, wait. Are you on Miller? With the RPS NC Faction? If so, I was in your squad yesterday evening.

Myomoto

I would do this but the way they segregated turrets after release makes me hesitate. I certainly would buy secondary turrets if they unlocked that specific turret for all vehicles/positions.

Buying turrents for a galaxy/sunderer/liberator is absolutely retarded. Especially how the gun placements that are only useful for AA on both the galaxy and liberator needs to have the actual AA guns unlocked separately, which is like 2x 700SC or like 2000 certs for the gal. FUCK. THAT.

Noaloha

Just found something that might be of interest.

Three Moves Ahead, a podcast focused on strategy games, has taken PS2 as its core topic this week.

========================
http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/
Episode 196:
Grunt's Eye View
November 29, 2012
Rob is joined by Shawn Andrich, Evan Lahti, and Phill Cameron to talk about Planetside 2 and the past and future of the large-scale shooter. At what point does the scale start to turn a shooter into a strategy game, and does Planetside hit that level? Everyone suspects that Planetside would be more strategic if only there were a commander role, and Rob and Shawn are reminded of the old Battlezone games. Evan is impressed by how diverse the experiences and battlefields are in Planetside 2, but everyone has doubts about the F2P economy and the progression system. The group also talk about the ArmA series and Natural Selection 2's blend of RTS and FPS.
========================

I haven't listened to it yet myself. Gonna sit down with it later on this evening.

Lonestar

idle thumbs is a popular podcast. I'll give it a listen.

Also, about this carrier design: Is it an actual possibility? Is it coming from SOE? Or just a dream concept by a fan?

Lonestar

It will be in the game. It was revealed by Smedley yesterday and Higby then gave some vague comments about it. The artist I linked to is the one who did most of the pre-vis for PS2.

E9X9O.gif

Tacitus_

IMO the faction specific weapon perks is going to come to bite them in the ass. You can compensate for recoil but not drop in effectiveness.

XPE

NC has all the best pilots what whaat

What is it with the NC and their love of aircraft, it was like that in the 1st planet side as well.

Now that I'm an NC and like my aircraft it boring trying to find a fight half the time =/

Deadly

What is it with the NC and their love of aircraft, it was like that in the 1st planet side as well.

Now that I'm an NC and like my aircraft it boring trying to find a fight half the time =/
Reavers are fuckin awesome :( Damn NC got to inherit them

Moaradin

The wiki says that TR guns hit the hardest but have the worst recoil, VS has no bullet drop but the weapons decrease in effectiveness with range and the blue faction guns have the largest mags but don't hit as hard.

Actually NC guns hit the hardest but have the most recoil. TR guns are low damage but high speed.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If I want to fly my Reaver effectively, which weapons should I go for? More Armour and such will always help, but I use to run missiles in PS1. Still as effective?

And honestly, I do not care very much about dog fighting. So I largely want to be one of those cunts who just rain pain down and run away. lol.

Actually NC guns hit the hardest but have the most recoil. TR guns are low damage but high speed.

Don't the VS guns, on average, have the shortest reload speeds?

Also, is it confirmed that bullets (NC and TR) don't lose effectiveness at range? Seems weird to put bullet drop in but not have bullets reduce damage over range.

MrBig

If I want to fly my Reaver effectively, which weapons should I go for? More Armour and such will always help, but I use to run missiles in PS1. Still as effective?

And honestly, I do not care very much about dog fighting. So I largely want to be one of those cunts who just rain pain down and run away. lol.

The dumb fire rocket pods are fantastic. I'd suggesting buying them with SC (iirc they're included with the vehicle deal bundle in the store so get that if you plan on spending money on other vehicles as well) and then certing into max ammo capacity + thermal vision for it. The default cannon is good but the alternative one is better from what I hear.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The dumb fire rocket pods are fantastic. I'd suggesting buying them with SC and then certing into max ammo capacity + thermal vision for it. The default cannon is good but the alternative one is better from what I hear.

Sounds perfect. I use to either fly with full rocket ammo, or loaded up the reaver with nothing but sniper rounds and a find a cliff by a battle.

Tacitus_

Don't the VS guns, on average, have the shortest reload speeds?

Also, is it confirmed that bullets (NC and TR) don't lose effectiveness at range? Seems weird to put bullet drop in but not have bullets reduce damage over range.

VS guns supposedly don't have bullet drop but drop in damage. Seems silly.

Lonestar

Yeah, just bought the IR view for the rocket pods last night. So much easier, cause people stand out no matter where they hide.

Pratfall

I feel stupid asking but is there any way to invert the mouse based flight controls? I keep tragically crashing into the ground.

Top Bottom