• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I like the NS-11 gun, sadly only the medic can use it. It's got a nice, "real" gun sound to it ;P

Tacitus_

Man they should get some faction balancing algorithms in the game. 2 continents had 50% TR just now >_>

Why? Lasers are barely affected by gravity, and they become defocused over distances.

Mainly talking from a balance viewpoint. You can compensate for recoil & bullet drop but you can't for flat out -damage.

Jhriad

Mainly talking from a balance viewpoint. You can compensate for recoil & bullet drop but you can't for flat out -damage.

Compensating for recoil means you fire in bursts or single rounds at long range. Slowing your total damage output to something along the lines of the VS rifles.

MrBig

I've added an option for new people who sign up on the form to select if they're a part of the GAF outfit for their server or if they're interested in joining it to make recruitment easier. So officers of the VS/TR outfits may want to keep an eye on the list.

Man they should get some faction balancing algorithms in the game. 2 continents had 50% TR just now >_>

We had % balance in the beta and it just didn't work, as there was always queues when an outfit or group wanted to make a push even if there was relatively few people on a cont from a certain faction. A high % on a faction now just means the other factions are focused elsewhere and that continent is mostly under the control of the higher pop faction, and that the lower pop faction should join the real effort or organize a real push on that cont.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good third-party tutorial of sorts? The videos are painfully slow and for whatever ridiculous reason there's no in-game tutorial.

Sethos

Banned
So apparently I can't get my name, however they are offering me 500 Certs, whatever the hell that is on top of a new character.

Is that good?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
So apparently I can't get my name, however they are offering me 500 Certs, whatever the hell that is on top of a new character.

Is that good?

500 certs is pretty good (I would guess it would take 10-25 hours to get that many certs, depending on a lot of different things lol). Don't waste them!

Flunkie

Banned

Is that good?

Well. Yeah. Free money.

Edit: Oh. Certs, not SC.

Like 7 days worth of playing time if you had to earn them, so yeah.

Is that good?

No real monetary value (as others have said here, use Station Cash to buy weapons and then CP to upgrade them) but it will save you a lot of time.

I THINK you earn a CP every 250 XP (or is it 500 XP?). Kills are generally 100+ XP and with an XP boost, you can earn a decent amount of CP from a big battle. With a double XP boost, you can get 100 CP in less than 2 hours, especially if you are getting constant spawn bonuses from a Sunderer. However, generally, CP are slow earning and therefore pretty valuable.

Vehicle
Sunderer AMS (spawn on Sunderer): 50 CP
Acquisition Timers (multiple vehicles): 25 CP

Ah...if I had 500 CP, starting out:

Squad Leader
Spawn Beacon (Squad Leader, can't get this until level 10): 30 CP

Infantry
Health Restoration Kit: 50 CP
Scope: 30 CP
Suppressor: 100 CP
Laser sight: 50 CP
Health Increase (can't remember name, but I go light assault, so extra health is always nice): 10 CP
Ability Slot: 60-160 CP (for LA, it's the jumpjet, which increases fuel and regen speed)

Really, though...play the game for a bit, figure out which playstyle you like, and then dedicate points to that. If you are mainly going to be using vehicles, dump points into vehicles; if you are mainly on the ground, go infantry.

mr_nothin

Banned
Working on those, but damn the 100 cert requirement...

The only thing I dont have for it is the suppressor but I'm about to buy that now. Well, I dont have all of the scopes, I just have the reflex and the 2x but everything else I have. Love how versatile it is.

Jhriad

I've added an option for new people who sign up on the form to select if they're a part of the GAF outfit for their server or if they're interested in joining it to make recruitment easier. So officers of the VS/TR outfits may want to keep an eye on the list.

I will keep an eye on it. Need more TR on Connery!

Working on those, but damn the 100 cert requirement...

Working on Squad Leader certs atm and those are a pain. Already put in 100 for Command Channel + 350 for Squad Beacon up to the 3rd level.

Speaking of which, I have a TR guy on Connery that I need accepted into GAF outfit when you're on.

I'll make sure to check the player list to get your name before I log in. I should be on for several hours tonight and almost every hour of the weekend. Also just so you, and others, know TR GAF has it's own Teamspeak server. We don't require you to speak on it but it's helpful if you can at least listen in when we're running ops or have a large group going.

EDIT: I'm not seeing you on the player list at all. Can I get your character name so that I can shoot you a friend request & outfit invite?

Tacitus_

We had % balance in the beta and it just didn't work, as there was always queues when an outfit or group wanted to make a push even if there was relatively few people on a cont from a certain faction. A high % on a faction now just means the other factions are focused elsewhere and that continent is mostly under the control of the higher pop faction, and that the lower pop faction should join the real effort or organize a real push on that cont.

Nope, the last continent was roughly equivalent between factions, but TR had just conquered it. There's just a shitload more TR players on the server.

Ketch

Is there any sort of server transfer option? I joined Helios with a friend of mine, but his outfit has pretty much flaked out so I wanted to join up with GAF for some organized ground pounding.

Is there any sort of server transfer option? I joined Helios with a friend of mine, but his outfit has pretty much flaked out so I wanted to join up with GAF for some organized ground pounding.

This is supposedly coming soon, along with the ability to have multiple factions per server (AKA 1 TR and 1 VS on the same server)

MrBig

No, but it will be coming some time soon.

daedalius

I am going to do a system rebuild, mostly for art and big photoshop documents, but that seems to go hand in hand with gaming performance.

I assume Planetside would run ok if I had...
Intel i7 3770k 3.5 quadcore
32 gb of 1866mhz memory
and a GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Windows 8

Good?

MrBig

I am going to do a system rebuild, mostly for art and big photoshop documents, but that seems to go hand in hand with gaming performance.

I assume Planetside would run ok if I had...
Intel i7 3770k 3.5 quadcore
32 gb of 1866mhz memory
and a GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Windows 8

Good?

Yes. You won't need that much ram for just PS, though. I dedicate ~6gb for 10k+ px docs and I'm not close to maxing that out. 16gb or even 8gb of 1600mhz mem should be more than enough unless you do video work as well. The money would be better spent on a 670. As far as PS2 you can expect above 60fps in most situations with how the game is currently optimized, running at Ultra settings.

Visit PC gaf before you purchasing anything, mkenyon, hazaro and everyone in there is very helpful.

Repgnar

Picked up the Zephyr secondary for the Liberator for a friend and I today. We spent most of the day around our home warp gate just getting familiar with what to do but we had a blast. The sound, explosions, and power that we're able to rain down on ground forces feels awesome. Hovering over an area communicating back and forward on where I need to position the Liberator and what his line of sight is at is awesome.We're having trouble with A2A enemy flyers but that seems to be the norm. Once we start seeing two or more Scythes/Mosquitoes we start to back off or at least get into a much better defensive position. We're not quite sure what to spend certs on though. We grabbed the infrared for the Zephyr and some of the cheaper 1 cert perks. Thinking about grabbing the flak armor perk but not sure.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yes. You won't need that much ram for just PS, though. I dedicate ~6gb for 10k+ px docs and I'm not close to maxing that out. 16gb or even 8gb of 1600mhz mem should be more than enough unless you do video work as well. The money would be better spent on a 670. As far as PS2 you can expect above 60fps in most situations with how the game is currently optimized, running at Ultra settings.

Visit PC gaf before you purchasing anything, mkenyon, hazaro and everyone in there is very helpful.

My experience with an i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz and a GTX 680 is 60fps in very mild encounters, and 35-45fps in the heavier encounters.

MrBig

My experience with an i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz and a GTX 680 is 60fps in very mild encounters, and 35-45fps in the heavier encounters.

Really? I haven't played on my desktop for a week or so but I never noticed a dip below 50 except at the most extreme conditions for just short spikes, playing at ultra/2560x1440.

mr_nothin

Banned
Really? I haven't played on my desktop for a week or so but I never noticed a dip below 50 except at the most extreme conditions for just short spikes, playing at ultra/2560x1440.

Nobody listen to this man! He's a liar!
You cant play at 1440p on ultra and getting 50+ on a GTX670!
LIES!

MrBig

LIES!

eh, like I said I never noticed it below 50 much but I don't have the counter up all the time + the fantastic motion blur makes it hard notice drops without the counter up

Picked up the Zephyr secondary for the Liberator for a friend and I today. We spent most of the day around our home warp gate just getting familiar with what to do but we had a blast. The sound, explosions, and power that we're able to rain down on ground forces feels awesome. Hovering over an area communicating back and forward on where I need to position the Liberator and what his line of sight is at is awesome.We're having trouble with A2A enemy flyers but that seems to be the norm. Once we start seeing two or more Scythes/Mosquitoes we start to back off or at least get into a much better defensive position. We're not quite sure what to spend certs on though. We grabbed the infrared for the Zephyr and some of the cheaper 1 cert perks. Thinking about grabbing the flak armor perk but not sure.

Learn to do this, http://youtu.be/HlaC3IVGemQ?hd=1

Im trying to get my controller set up to fly stuff in this, any one have any recommendations on a layout? Im trying to remember what its set up as in BF3, cause I can rip around no problem in the choppers in that game.

demolitio

No, but it will be coming some time soon.

Which is a relief after actually spending money on a character when I thought I could resist the temptations to buy shit. Speaks a lot to the game though to convince me it was worth it...lol

And I unlocked the 105mm for the Liberator for a reason and I can't wait until it starts paying off once my friend is on.

Just held out against a vanu contingent with a few members of MatthersonGAF before signing off. Thought we'd lost it when the inner shields went down.

demolitio

Anyone think the big guns in places like Mao Tech Plant will be used later when ships are added? It just seems mysteriously placed and looks like it could serve a purpose in the future with the place opening like a stadium dome, lol. I don't know, just looks too cool not to be useful somewhere down the line.

I would pay to get a sneak peak at what's to come for this game for some reason. I feel like they laid down the foundation and are tweaking it while other big things are in the works.

Maybe it's wishful thinking after that carrier render.

MrBig

How will these specs hold up?

i7 3630qm
Nvidia 680m
16GB ram

It's a Sager 9150 by the way.

It's F2P, DL it and find out. Should be decent but of course the clock/heat limits of laptop CPUs will be a limiter in this game.

Anyone think the big guns in places like Mao Tech Plant will be used later when ships are added? It just seems mysteriously placed and looks like it could serve a purpose in the future with the place opening like a stadium dome, lol. I don't know, just looks too cool not to be useful somewhere down the line.

I would pay to get a sneak peak at what's to come for this game for some reason. I feel like they laid down the foundation and are tweaking it while other big things are in the works.

Maybe it's wishful thinking after that carrier render.

I have a feeling I'll be playing the game throughout its lifetime, so I'm in no rush. Seeing it evolve is going to be fantastic.

Each faction will have their own carrier design, as noted in the the design sheet, which mentions that the TR Bastion is more lightly armed than the NC/VS couterparts.

Ghost23

Also, which Nvidia drivers are recommended for this game? I thought I was hearing that the newest beta drivers were not running it well.

DTKT

I hate fighting in the bio-domes and the tech-plants. It's so boring. Small fights around smaller outposts are so much more intense. Big fights degenerate into stupid zergs and culling doesn't help anyone.

So fresh recruit here (game is just installing) uh..where do you guys play how do I hook up with some people so I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off etc etc.

LIES!

Yea this game is currently CPU bound, if you want to know your frame rates hit ALT+F and itll show it in the bottom left corner as well as either CPU or GPU to see which is the limiting factor

Mastamind

How the hell do I uninstall the beta? All I get is "There was a problem during the uninstall 1001" over and over :|

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36735

Windows XP

Click Start, go to the Control Panel, then to Add/Remove Programs.
Select PlanetSide 2 Beta and click Uninstall/Change at the top of the window or right click PlanetSide 2 Beta and select Uninstall/Change.
Delete the PlanetSide 2 Beta folder located here: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games.
Finally, delete the file npsoeact.dll from this location: C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Account)\Application Data\Sony Online Entertainment.

Windows Vista/7

Click Start, go to the Control Panel, then under Programs select Uninstall a program.
Select PlanetSide 2 Beta and click Uninstall/Change at the top of the window or right click PlanetSide 2 Beta and select Uninstall/Change.
Next delete the PlanetSide 2 Beta folder located here: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games.
Finally, delete the file npsoeact.dll from this location: C:\Users\(Your Account)\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment.

Windows 8

The file system is exactly the same as Vista and 7, except for the location of the Control Panel. You can follow the same steps in the Windows Vista/7 section to uninstall PS2 once you're there.

To get to the Control Panel, move the mouse cursor to the top or bottom right side of the screen until a set of options appear. Once the options appear click on Settings and the Control Panel will appear. Alternately, just mouse over the area here the Start button used to appear and right click to see the Control Panel option.

So fresh recruit here (game is just installing) uh..where do you guys play how do I hook up with some people so I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off etc etc.

There's a gaf player list in the OP.

But if you want to join a squad on your server, it should give you the option to auto join a random nearby squad by hitting the insert key. You can also hit the P key to goto the squad recruitment screen and join one there. Check the map to see which map they are on. You'll be able to view the other maps by clicking on their silhouettes in the top left corner of the map.

Cronox

Banned

Running an i5 3750k at stock speeds, factory overclocked Geforce GTX 670, 16 gigs DDR3 2133 ram, and installed on SSD. Running at 1080p resolution my frame rate is around 60 or high 50's when not much is happening. When shit's going down, it drops to mid to low 40's. But in the biggest, craziest firefights I've seen it dip to the mid/high 30's. Lowest I've ever seen was 34 FPS. That was at the Crown when beta was ending, it was pretty crazy. This is all on high settings, no motion blur and low shadows.

Likely I could get a good frame rate increase if I overclocked my i5... Thinking about doing that soon.

Top Bottom