• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Soi-Fong

Running an i5 3750k at stock speeds, factory overclocked Geforce GTX 670, 16 gigs DDR3 2133 ram, and installed on SSD. Running at 1080p resolution my frame rate is around 60 or high 50's when not much is happening. When shit's going down, it drops to mid to low 40's. But in the biggest, craziest firefights I've seen it dip to the mid/high 30's. Lowest I've ever seen was 34 FPS. That was at the Crown when beta was ending, it was pretty crazy. This is all on high settings, no motion blur and low shadows.

Likely I could get a good frame rate increase if I overclocked my i5... Thinking about doing that soon.

On high (done from the in-game settings) I was keeping above 40 even 50 in the heaviest of firefights and pretty much 60 all around. This is with a HD 5970 and a stock (3.4 ghZ) i7 2600k and 16 gb 1600mhZ memory. I'm also running on an SSD.

Was really surprised. The games been well optimized from the beta. I also downloaded the new AMD Drivers that improved crossfire scaling for the game.

Now "ultra" which I tried with the .ini settings from the OP my performance really took a hit. Just under 30 with nothing happening. Anyway, I'm happy with the default high settings the game gives you so I'll stick with that.

Edit: This is with resolution at 1920x1080.

I'll save up for a 680 soon, but meh. Might just wait for the 700 series.

Eventually, they came back--hope yours did the same.

Great games tonight.

PlanetSide2%202012-12-01%2001-18-44-53.png

PlanetSide2%202012-12-01%2000-35-10-51.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2023-52-41-53.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2019-38-44-51.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2019-38-54-49.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2020-00-54-50.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2020-08-24-51.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2020-15-34-52.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2020-43-24-53.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2020-56-34-53.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2020-58-34-51.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2021-07-14-51.png

PlanetSide2%202012-11-30%2023-51-01-54.png

Neki

Running around with 4-6 of your friends and taking points is super fun. Anything else is just pretty drab. Though I do wish you got certs faster.

Doppelganger

Neo Member
On high (done from the in-game settings) I was keeping above 40 even 50 in the heaviest of firefights and pretty much 60 all around. This is with a HD 5970 and a stock (3.4 ghZ) i7 2600k and 16 gb 1600mhZ memory. I'm also running on an SSD.

Was really surprised. The games been well optimized from the beta. I also downloaded the new AMD Drivers that improved crossfire scaling for the game.

Now "ultra" which I tried with the .ini settings from the OP my performance really took a hit. Just under 30 with nothing happening. Anyway, I'm happy with the default high settings the game gives you so I'll stick with that.

Edit: This is with resolution at 1920x1080.

I'll save up for a 680 soon, but meh. Might just wait for the 700 series.

If you want to run ultra but it drops your FPS too much, try lowering shadows. I can run ultra with a 3570k and an HD6950 on ultra but with shadows on 1. I get 60 frames (capped) when nothing is really going on and it never really goes under 30 in battles. The frame counter in PS2 bounces back and forth from GPU to CPU limited.

taoofjord

Just realized that you can go into the config to increase the graphics to ultra setting thanks to the OP.

Damn it's beautiful! Now give me the GPU physics!

Jhriad

So fresh recruit here (game is just installing) uh..where do you guys play how do I hook up with some people so I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off etc etc.

There are two GAF outfits (guilds) running. A VS one on Matherson and a TR one on Connery. Read the description of the two factions to get an idea of which you would prefer and hopefully we'll see you soon. (on Connery :D)

PROSTHETIC

Neo Member
I just started a char on Connery: itsBUTTERS

I also deleted Surely (Waterson) but I can't take that one off GAF player list

EDIT: I see you have invited me, excellent sir

MrBig

Likely I could get a good frame rate increase if I overclocked my i5... Thinking about doing that soon.
Anyone who has an unlocked CPU that isn't OCed is wasting a lot of potential. PS2 will love having access to better performing CPU.

my specs are
3570k@4.4ghz, 670@1.28ghz, 8gb 1600mhz ram

Hey guys which scope should I look at if I am playing Vanu Heavy Assault? There are lots to choose from and they don't really give you anything in the way of description.

Also, is there anything cert, add-on, etc whcih can better identify enemies? I have a hell of a time trying to tell the difference between the blue guys and the purple guys. Sometimes they get a red marker above their head if they are enemies, but not always.

MrBig

Hey guys which scope should I look at if I am playing Vanu Heavy Assault? There are lots to choose from and they don't really give you anything in the way of description.

Also, is there anything cert, add-on, etc whcih can better identify enemies? I have a hell of a time trying to tell the difference between the blue guys and the purple guys. Sometimes they get a red marker above their head if they are enemies, but not always.

1x or 2x Reflex will be good in most encounters.

Q to spot enemies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

The HS/NV scope is your friend (not sure what it's called on Vanus weapons, it's a 1x scope), but it's only good for short range encounters. It doesn't give you any zoom, but in exchange, it highlights everything in your world with outlines and all people become completely white, so you can quickly tell who you should shoot at in close range situations,=.

Noaloha

Sometimes they get a red marker above their head if they are enemies, but not always.

Make friends with your Q button (default). It's the 'spot' mechanic -- it will mark enemies with the red arrow for you (and, crucially, your whole faction) and it will call the enemy-type out audibly*. You can pretty much mash it I think -- unlike in Battlefield, the spotting function won't enter a cooldown when it's hammered on ineffectively.

*Be very careful of spotting when you are attempting close proximity stealth -- the enemy will be able to clearly hear you call enemies out. If they have decent surround sound, they'll immediately know what direction you are relative to them.

Ghost23

So my setup is able to run this at max settings averaging 50-60fps. If I changed to "ultra" settings, what should I expect for an fps drop?

Corum

Is their a bug where all the UI interface options are '##UI.[function' etc.?

It makes it really difficult to know which abilities to upgrade as all the information is absent.

Noaloha

Is their a bug where all the UI interface options are '##UI.[function' etc.?

It makes it really difficult to know which abilities to upgrade as all the information is absent.

Yeah, I think it's something unique to the EU launcher.

On your launcher main menu, select another language (any) then switch back. It should fix it.

1x or 2x Reflex will be good in most encounters.

Q to spot enemies.

The HS/NV scope is your friend (not sure what it's called on Vanus weapons, it's a 1x scope), but it's only good for short range encounters. It doesn't give you any zoom, but in exchange, it highlights everything in your world with outlines and all people become completely white, so you can quickly tell who you should shoot at in close range situations,=.

Thanks guys, that made a world of difference!

Deadly

Is it normal that I see the notice that people are using their mic but I don't hear anything when it's squad/platoon? I always hear proximity people though.

Noaloha

It's one thing that isn't communicated very well I think. You'll get various exp boosts in different situations or combinations thereof. For example, if you're defending a held region you'll get +%s (15?) on all your stuff due simply to being the defensive force (your incremental reward as opposed to getting that single big centre screen certification gift as an attacker when you successfully grab a region). I think stuff like squad-based actions, 'killstreak' kills, etc. are also sources of +%s. I expect there's several of them but I'm not aware of all the specific causes.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok, so I took the liberty of creating a TR Outfit on the Mattherson server. If you want to be invited just say so in this thread or PM me or Demolitio.
I'm MrNothin in PS2 and he's Demo :D so there!

And the Outfit name is NGAF

DTKT

Anyone can link to a good cert guide?

I have about 130 certs to spend and I'm not quite sure what to prioritize. I already spend some points in nanoweave armor. Should I also pick the shield recharge buff?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyone can link to a good cert guide?

I have about 130 certs to spend and I'm not quite sure what to prioritize. I already spend some points in nanoweave armor. Should I also pick the shield recharge buff?
1) You have to equip each cert you get
2) You only have one slot for armor cers
3) Scopes and Utlity (claymores, C4, tank mines, etc)

MrBig

Ok, so I took the liberty of creating a TR Outfit on the Mattherson server. If you want to be invited just say so in this thread or PM me or Demolitio.
I'm MrNothin in PS2 and he's Demo :D so there!

And the Outfit name is NGAF

I'll add the info to the OP and the form so you can recruit people from the player list, so make sure you have some officers watching the list

e: it seems you haven't added your info to the list yet

Noaloha

Long shot, since I don't think I've once heard my server mentioned across multiple forums, but -- anyone know of / are part of any decent NC Outfits on Ceres?

Noaloha

Yep! That certainly marries with my own research, ha. I'm still having enough fun lone-wolfing it for the time-being, but I'm increasingly envious of those players who get to enjoy being a social soldier. Feels like there's a whole 'nother game out there which I'm missing out on.

I'm loathe to just /yell or Warpgate /region spam for an Outfit because I'm kinda timid and that shit feels crass to me. I'll wait for the Server transfers to come around and see how I'm doing, jump parallel dimension if there's an alternate that seems welcoming.

Soktos

Has anyone been using mumble when playing? It seems the in-game voice chat is a bit unreliable. It would be nice if we all started using a 3rd party app for voice, as the game is far more enjoyable when coordinating with teammates.

Just a thought.

Sethos

Banned
Thanks for the replies on the value of the 500 certs. Did some thinking and I just asked for a refund instead, only reason why I did buy that pack was for the name reservation. Think I'll find another game to keep me entertained instead :)

Tried this today, IDK, guess I just don't have the patience for it. Didn't like BF3, but at least you could "win" a map. This is just a constant back and forth, you claim one base as you lose another. Just got boring after a while. Maybe it gets better once you've got a 50+ organized group but I have neither the time nor the will. *shrug*

Noaloha

Tried this today, IDK, guess I just don't have the patience for it. Didn't like BF3, but at least you could "win" a map. This is just a constant back and forth, you claim one base as you lose another. Just got boring after a while. Maybe it gets better once you've got a 50+ organized group but I have neither the time nor the will. *shrug*

It's a matter of outlook and perspective. For every player out there who regards a full map domination as the only 'win/loss' scenario, I want to believe that there are a dozen other players who, like myself, treat each moment-to-moment encounter with hostile forces -- be it a major lab takeover or a between-region skirmish with a pair of scouts as win/loss scenarios.

I can't emphasise enough how much this game appeals to my 'go out and find moments of adventure' glands.

Myomoto

You 'win' once you cap a continent, after that it just becomes a matter of holding that continent.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'll add the info to the OP and the form so you can recruit people from the player list, so make sure you have some officers watching the list

e: it seems you haven't added your info to the list yet

That's weird, I remember doing it....will add again

I like this perspective.

4) The game doesn't have an end - This is a massive difference between Planetside 2 and every FPS out there. It isn't round based. There isn't a winner and a loser. It truly never ends. you could log out at night after the NC have taken over an entire continent and log back in the next morning and the Vanu have fought back and beaten the NC back to their warp gate. I have been asked an awful lot about this one point - some people see this as a bad thing. People say "what's the point?". Please think carefully about that. What is the point of playing a round of BF3 or MW3? There is a winning team and a losing team. Then it starts all over. That gives people the satisfaction of knowing they accomplished something. Planetside 2 has that exact same thing.. just on an enormous scale. You can fight over a base for 3 hours… and succeed in taking it over. People from the original Planetside still talk about taking over certain bases and the amazing feeling of accomplishing an organized strike that took 2 days to take over a base. We have leader boards.. and stat advancement just like those other games. Planetside 2 is different in that the world is persistent. That doesn't mean it's static. It changes based on player actions. It changes based on YOUR actions. What you and your team does matters in Planetside 2. You do get that same feeling of accomplishment over "winning" a match. in this case it's just taking over one small part of the map. This never ending thing really confuses some people that have only ever played round based FPS games. I understand why, but once they play for a while it's the kind of thing you quickly realize adds an amazing dimension to an FPS. In Planetside 2 you're fighting for your Empire and you're fighting for your outfit.. or your squad. And when you log out for dinner and then log back in, that same fight you were a part of could still be raging.

Also, info on future additions/plans:

First off, we have a 3 year plan. That's really big. We plan on putting that out to the users at some point in the near future. This isn't some "vision" we plan on imparting on our players. It's our thoughts on what we think would be cool. We will listen to our users feedback and make changes based on that feedback. We think we have some killer ideas but our players have pretty good ones too! I want to be super clear here - these are just some of the ideas. The team has a ton.

Here are just a few cornerstone ideas we are considering. I want to be crystal clear and say that these are NOT promises these are ideas.. some of which may be canned. That thinking can change. It can even change fast. I just want you to understand we are looking to support this game for a very long time and add a lot of features to it.

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

8) Weather

9) Mac version (soon after launch).

Like I said - some of these are just ideas.. some are already planned for the near term. Expect us to lay this out clearly and expect this soon.

TheFatOne

Nothing kills any interest I had in a game like sign up errors. Installed the game on STEAM, and then signed up. Right after I try to login it tells me I need to reset the password. Reset the password tried to log in again, and the game tells me I need to reset my password. Now I can't reset the password, and I'm locked out from resetting the password for 24 hours. I think I will pass on this game.

DTKT

Nothing kills any interest I had in a game like sign up errors. Installed the game on STEAM, and then signed up. Right after I try to login it tells me I need to reset the password. Reset the password tried to log in again, and the game tells me I need to reset my password. Now I can't reset the password, and I'm locked out from resetting the password for 24 hours. I think I will pass on this game.

Yeah, the SOE login is terrible. I had to reset my password 7 times before it registered. There is even a 24 cooldown when you reset it too often.

You are missing out on one hell of a game though. :p

Liberty4all

Banned
It's a matter of outlook and perspective. For every player out there who regards a full map domination as the only 'win/loss' scenario, I want to believe that there are a dozen other players who, like myself, treat each moment-to-moment encounter with hostile forces -- be it a major lab takeover or a between-region skirmish with a pair of scouts as win/loss scenarios.

I can't emphasise enough how much this game appeals to my 'go out and find moments of adventure' glands.

me too toodles. I take each moment as a "new match"

Top Bottom