• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

DTKT

So, using the alt-f command, the only thing it's showing me, is my framerate and [CPU]. Does that mean that my CPU is bottlenecking my rig?

MrBig

Nothing kills any interest I had in a game like sign up errors. Installed the game on STEAM, and then signed up. Right after I try to login it tells me I need to reset the password. Reset the password tried to log in again, and the game tells me I need to reset my password. Now I can't reset the password, and I'm locked out from resetting the password for 24 hours. I think I will pass on this game.

What process did you use to create an account? I've seen a few other people say the same thing happened to them, so if you send in a support ticket giving SOE some specifics they could fix the issue for anyone who signs up in the future.

So, using the alt-f command, the only thing it's showing me, is my framerate and [CPU]. Does that mean that my CPU is bottlenecking my rig?

yes

WX3

I have had it say CPU and GPU, either or at times. My system isnt the greatest (i5 750/8gb RAM/ GTX 560) but despite the obvious bottleneck I am really happy with the performance. I have a lot of the goodies turned on @ 1920 x 1080 and my fps run from 30 in battle to 60 in the clear. I am pretty happy with it like I said, but sometimes the alt-f tells me its the GPU and sometimes (most of the time) is says CPU.

If your system has no issues with the CPU or GPU does alt-f display anything other than the FPS? Just curious about that. Also, is there any other things that may be displayed, like if the RAM was an issue?

Jhriad

Has anyone been using mumble when playing? It seems the in-game voice chat is a bit unreliable. It would be nice if we all started using a 3rd party app for voice, as the game is far more enjoyable when coordinating with teammates.

Just a thought.

We're using Teamspeak for the Connery outfit, mostly because all the PS1 outfits use TS and it makes combined ops easier. It's been kind of a bitch to get people to actually get onto TS though.

MrBig

We're using Teamspeak for the Connery outfit, mostly because all the PS1 outfits use TS and it makes combined ops easier. It's been kind of a bitch to get people to actually get onto TS though.

ingame voip was fantastic in the beta, how it is now just makes it a wasted effort because it's so terrible, and will end fracturing communication in the game, which is always bad.

Jhriad

ingame voip was fantastic in the beta, how it is now just makes it a wasted effort because it's so terrible, and will end fracturing communication in the game, which is always bad.

Ingame voip was never going to be adopted by the big outfits. All the old outfits already have Teamspeak servers and the voip provided by PS2 just doesn't match the versatility that a dedicated program can.

MrBig

Ingame voip was never going to be adopted by the big outfits. All the old outfits already have Teamspeak servers and the voip provided by PS2 just doesn't match the versatility that a dedicated program can.

I'm not referring to just Outfits, the audio quality is so bad that's not really useable for anyone.

Jhriad

I'm not referring to just Outfits, the audio quality is so bad that's not really useable for anyone.

Even if the audio quality were on par with Mumble or something else the playerbase would still be fragmented and in the long-term shift more and more away from the ingame voip.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, the fracturing isn't good, but it's happening.

I agree, the voice in Beta was fantastic. Don't know what happened between then and now.

BTW, that Future possibilities post by Anton is giving me an even larger boner (after Alabama surviving against Georgia tonight)

MrBig

BTW, that Future possibilities post by Anton is giving me an even larger boner (after Alabama surviving against Georgia tonight)

That post was originally from august, pre beta, so it's a very small part of the future plans post user input.

daedalius

So who should I contact on Matherson TR? I don't know how much help I'll be till I get my new computer put together, but it'd be nice to not roll solo all the time with 20fps.

damn this game looks sexy on ultra!! Just got a 7950 and I have been playing BF3, Hitman, Sleeping dogs, dishounored on ultra but none of those can match this game. The night battles, the snowy environment, the complex geometry on the structures, the particle effects, the lighting and DAT motion blur! the game looks next gen, I am 100% blown away.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Also, Vanu stole the composers from Human Revolution

The music on the character creation screen is the only reason I chose Vanu. In other games with multiple factions (rts) I tend to choose a faction with normal cannons and projectiles not pew pew lasers and hover tanks :)

Spazznid

I'm going to shamelessly flash my fan-trailer.

(is that alright?)

I never did this before, so don't judge. ('less it's 9/10)

Also, it's hard as crap getting good footage when you're looking for it...

Your Joy is the Vanu's Low

::Warning::: It get's loud.

DTKT

Yeah, so no in-game voice chat is messed up. I really want to play right now, but since I don't have an outfit I need to join a random squad. Thing is, it's bloody hard to coordinate with others through text and it's really easy to end up with people scattered all around the map.

I really want to love the game, but playing alone is just a chore right now. If they want the game to succeed, they need to create the tools for players to easily meet up and communicate. Or it's going to be another PS1 where newbies are confused and lost till they just don't want to play anymore.

Scrabble

damn this game looks sexy on ultra!! Just got a 7950 and I have been playing BF3, Hitman, Sleeping dogs, dishounored on ultra but none of those can match this game. The night battles, the snowy environment, the complex geometry on the structures, the particle effects, the lighting and DAT motion blur! the game looks next gen, I am 100% blown away.

word, and from people's experience I thought it was one of those things that no rig no matter how powerful could run, but my GTX 570 and i52500k always stay above 30fps.

On one hand I'm so glad I gave this game a 7/10 in my review. I have joined countless squads and nobody talks, and no matter how hard I look I can't find an outfit. It feels like floating in space.

On the other hand I love the scale of the game and how fun the classes are to play.

I swear I'm so sick of playing alone, though. It's the most anti-social shooter I've played since Half-Life 2's multiplayer in 2004.

Jhriad

Yeah, so no in-game voice chat is messed up. I really want to play right now, but since I don't have an outfit I need to join a random squad. Thing is, it's bloody hard to coordinate with others through text and it's really easy to end up with people scattered all around the map.

Join one of the GAF outfits.

I've lost interest in trying to play this game. Every time I choose my character the loading screen for the continent gets hung up on 97%. It's a bummer, because I was actually looking forward to playing this. :/

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? I really want to play this game :(

Jintor

So besides the 1 cert advancements and the mobile spawning, what else should I grab? I mainly play Heavy, Engi or Medic. Considering dropping some money on rocket pods for scythes.

MrBig

On one hand I'm so glad I gave this game a 7/10 in my review. I have joined countless squads and nobody talks, and no matter how hard I look I can't find an outfit. It feels like floating in space.

On the other hand I love the scale of the game and how fun the classes are to play.

I swear I'm so sick of playing alone, though. It's the most anti-social shooter I've played since Half-Life 2's multiplayer in 2004.

You're doing it wrong is all I can say. There's constantly outfits hosting open squads for any pub to join and be recruited, and many major forums are hosting Outfits. Here on GAF we have 3, with 50+ members in the VS outfit last I checked. Total Recoil has 500+ members, GotR, TEST, Enclave, 666th, xen all have several hundred members and they're all open to public recruitment, as well as many, many more

You'd have to be purposefully ignoring all the social aspects of the game to think it's in any way anti-social.

demolitio

I really want to love the game, but playing alone is just a chore right now. If they want the game to succeed, they need to create the tools for players to easily meet up and communicate. Or it's going to be another PS1 where newbies are confused and lost till they just don't want to play anymore.

What do you mean no ingame voice chat? Is there something wrong that I missed on a previous page? There's squad chat, proxy chat, and all sorts of voice chat for different functions that work out well for me except when VOIP randomly went out just one time.

Players meeting up and communicating are up to the players really. The squads are usually labeled by what continent they're on and Outfits promote more teamplay in this game than any other game. Clans are only a tag in 99% of games, but they serve a very big purpose in this one since one outfit on one front makes a huge difference and usually gets other people to follow them.

Not to mention, the future plans where outfits can have their own bases on future continents and mining rare resources will allow you to build rarer things. That alone makes teamplay in this game bigger than most.

The teamplay is there, especially when these outfits are constantly posting recruiting messages. Hell, I have more random friends from this game than any other all because of teamwork. I liked a tank driver who unlocked a rocket launcher turret and he liked someone who actually hopped in and used the thing properly, so we clicked.

If there's something to criticize about PS2, it's definitely not about a lack of teamwork or communication in my opinion. It's all in the players' hands whether they use it or not. A lot of the random join squads suck but actually look at the squad list and you'd be surprised. I found a full platoon using VOIP with very good communication and cooperation and it changed the game for me over the course of one night.

Part of this was a response to you, but the comment about the most anti-social shooter ever fueled a lot of it as well because I'd like to know if he missed the whole squad, platoon, outfit, command order channel, etc. part of the game. We had a full PLATOON working together on VOIP with mostly random people and it was the most I've heard in a game in a long time (besides trolling or mic spamming music in other games).

People ask for hardcore games and then backtrack as soon as one shows up. This game isn't holding any hands and plenty of people are there to help beginners.

Any gaffer on Mattherson TR is welcome to our GAF outfit. Add Demo or MrNothin as he said earlier and we'll get a squad going too.

Spazznid

the mic issues can be fixed if the player goes in to their settings and lowers their mic boost. i think it's called input or send volume. this was a problem in beta but players just told each other and all was good.

also, thanks for the kind words. definitely feel better knowing that i don't outright suck.

Sorry for grammar. posting from my Wii U like a boss.

demolitio

the mic issues can be fixed if the player goes in to their settings and lowers their mic boost. i think it's called input or send volume. this was a problem in beta but players just told each other and all was good.

also, thanks for the kind words. definitely feel better knowing that i don't outright suck.

Sorry for grammar. posting from my Wii U like a boss.

In a game like this, individual skills mean nothing anyway as long as you help attack, defend, support, etc. I've had days with insane KDR and then there's days where I'm in a big assault and I'm like 0.31 but we got the base in the end which is all that matters.

That's why random COD people add my friend and I in that game too because they can play TDM while we capture the damn objectives basically, lol.

So don't worry as long as you're helping the frontlines as there's days where none of us are getting any kills simply due to the logistics of the battle. There's no even fighting in this game and sometimes it's literally 200 people against like 10 like last night when we raided a base to find it a ghost town... :p

Deadly

Assuming you just use insert to join a squad, you should instead open up the social menu and check the squads available. On Mattherson TR, I always join Bonkers/Wolverines/Angels of Death squads for example

DTKT

I mean, I've joined dozens of squads and none of them had VOIP squad leaders. I've added myself to the spreadsheet and I'll try joining the GAF VS crew. I just feel like the game is going to lose players because it doesn't really push the team aspect of it all. It's a bit like EVE, it's an okay game alone, but it truly because something else when you play in a group.

MrBig

I mean, I've joined dozens of squads and none of them had VOIP squad leaders. I've added myself to the spreadsheet and I'll try joining the GAF VS crew.

You really have to join one of the outfit pub squads if you don't want to attach yourself to a specific outfit - the people in outfits are the ones interested in teamwork and will usually do all they can to promote it

Deadly

I mean, I've joined dozens of squads and none of them had VOIP squad leaders. I've added myself to the spreadsheet and I'll try joining the GAF VS crew.
The outfit squads usually have a TS/Vent/Mumble, try asking them for the info.

Soi-Fong

If you want to run ultra but it drops your FPS too much, try lowering shadows. I can run ultra with a 3570k and an HD6950 on ultra but with shadows on 1. I get 60 frames (capped) when nothing is really going on and it never really goes under 30 in battles. The frame counter in PS2 bounces back and forth from GPU to CPU limited.

Tried this and it's soo much smoother, but I'm GPU capped judging from the in game fps which really doesn't make sense.

Just getting over 30. Guess I'll have to turn down a few things.

Edit: turned down motion blur quality to 4 and turned down AOQuality and AmbientOcclusionQuality to 3 and getting much better results. Not surprising since those do tax on the GPU

Might turn down just 1 or 2 more settings to stay at a constant 60.

I mean, I've joined dozens of squads and none of them had VOIP squad leaders. I've added myself to the spreadsheet and I'll try joining the GAF VS crew. I just feel like the game is going to lose players because it doesn't really push the team aspect of it all. It's a bit like EVE, it's an okay game alone, but it truly because something else when you play in a group.

Sounds like bad luck. I find it's pretty easy to hop in and out of squads (particularly ones named "mic only" etc.) until you find one that uses waypoints and voice.

Soi-Fong

I'm getting more and more the urge to spend a few dollars on this game. Lol I'm still stuck with the default weapons after 5 hours of total play.

Valygar

A friend has told me about this game, and I've seen the preliminary guide of TotalBiscuit. I like it very much, reminds me Command & Conquer Renegade Multiplayer but with the right assets.

Do I need to join a faction once I make a character? I guess so... I've seen Miller as the main GAF EU server, but which faction are you members of? I don't know if I'll join the GAF outfit, first I want to try the game for a bit...

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Do I need to join a faction once I make a character? I guess so... I've seen Miller as the main GAF EU server, but which faction are you members of? I don't know if I'll join the GAF outfit, first I want to try the game for a bit...
You have to select a faction for your character, but you can have different characters in different factions if you want. Check the list in the OP for gaffers on the different servers/factions.

Sarcasm

Last link in the first post, right over the pretty gif.

Damn those ultra setting look good. Afraid it's going to slow my game to a crawl though, since I only have a 560Ti.

So do I just replace everything in my ini with that (change resolution)?

------

Also I want to buy some weapons for my LA/engy/HA/Infil

Which ones should I get?

Liberty4all

Banned

My experience has been the exact opposite.

Liberty4all

Banned
Guys should I try ultra? I5 2500k overclocked to 4.3 ghz, Nvidia 560 ti, 8 gig ram.

I know it's abit weak ... Runs high perfect, wondering what to expect with ultra settings?

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Guys should I try ultra? I5 2500k overclocked to 4.3 ghz, Nvidia 560 ti, 8 gig ram.

I know it's abit weak ... Runs high perfect, wondering what to expect with ultra settings?
I tried it just now and have a similar setup, except a i7 2600 clocked at 4.2. Seems to run okay, about 60fps and the occasional slowdown to low 40s in big battles (I still have shadows set to medium). The CPU is still the limiting factor when a lot happens on screen though.

Top Bottom