• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Orayn

I really wish we should just have a toggled sprint that toggles off when I stop moving. It can't be THAT difficult to implement, can it? Double-tapping W to sprint would also be fine for me.

Snowdrift

PSA: Don't wait for the Galaxy pilot to land. You can hot drop out of the transport as long as you don't press your movement keys after exiting the vehicle.

MrBig

One question/complaint about the Liberators though. Does my friend really have to unlock the Zephyr as well just so he can get Infrared for when he guns on MY Liberator? It should promote people using Liberators more. He unlocked the Dalton for his and I have to unlock it too just to get Infrared for when I gun with him. If I unlock Infrared for my Zephyr, he should get my Infrared when sitting there.

All weapons, attachments, and optics are controlled by the person that spawns the vehicle. Remember that you have to equip anything that you cert in to.

Okay, I got into a good platoon and it made a world of difference. I met people and got into an outfit as a result. If you don't love this game then chances are you aren't grouping with other people.

MrBig

Okay, I got into a good platoon and it made a world of difference. I met people and got into an outfit as a result. If you don't love this game then chances are you aren't grouping with other people.

Now you get to see what planetside is actually about :)

e: I've updated the ultra config in the OP to not include supersampling, as that puts a huge amount of strain on GPUs and may be why some people who've used that config haven't been running so well. Setting renderquality=1.41 gives you 2x supersampling while retaining the HUD at the appropriate size for your res, btw. I've also removed all sections irrelevant to graphical options.

I've been put off by the bad performance everyone was talking about but I wanted to get GAF opinion on things. How well can I run the game with these settings:

AMD X4 955 Quad Core
8 GB RAM
GTX 460 1GB

Can I do at least medium?

mr_nothin

Banned
I've been put off by the bad performance everyone was talking about but I wanted to get GAF opinion on things. How well can I run the game with these settings:

AMD X4 955 Quad Core
8 GB RAM
GTX 460 1GB

Can I do at least medium?

Well the good thing about PS2 is that you dont have to regret buying it because it's free. Just download it and try it yourself, that's the best way to find out :) You should get DECENT performance. Your system might get bogged down a lot in big fights though.

Well the good thing about PS2 is that you dont have to regret buying it because it's free. Just download it and try it yourself, that's the best way to find out :) You should get DECENT performance. Your system might get bogged down a lot in big fights though.

Alright ill try that. Hopefully its playable for me. The part about it being really bad for AMD CPUs and requiring an X6 has me worried though.

MrBig

Anyone from the GAF outfits, how has recruiting from the player list been? Was it a good idea or should it just be kept to people posting in the thread?

I see some people checking the box that dont have a GAF outfit present for them to join which is putting me off on it a bit. I guess that could be useful for if any new GAF outfits do start up for them to be recruited in to though

sixghost

Anyone from the GAF outfits, how has recruiting from the player list been? Was it a good idea or should it just be kept to people posting in the thread?

I see some people checking the box that dont have a GAF outfit present for them to join which is putting me off on it a bit. I guess that could be useful for if any new GAF outfits do start up for them to be recruited in to though

I tried sending friend requests to you and Bamelin yesterday, but the social tab seems like a mess at the moment. Can anyone in the outfit invite me into the outfit, or just the two leaders?

MrBig

I tried sending friend requests to you and Bamelin yesterday, but the social tab seems like a mess at the moment. Can anyone in the outfit invite me into the outfit, or just the two leaders?

Outfit Officers may send invites. I can't really play the game seriously right now and wont be able to for a couple more weeks most likely, so I'll take my name off the list as an officer. I'll log in and tag more officers and try to send some invites, but the not being able to send an outfit invite to offline players bug is really a burden

Ghost23

I don't know if it's just me, but when I changed to "ultra" settings, I couldn't tell a difference. My fps is the same as originally, if not slightly better, so this leads me to believe that it didn't change.

All I did was download the the new UserOptions and save it as a textfile and replaced it with the original UserOptions file. When I opened the game, the settings went to medium, so I turned them all back to max settings. Would changing the options in-game somehow mess up the ultra settings that I just put in?

MrBig

I don't know if it's just me, but when I changed to "ultra" settings, I couldn't tell a difference. My fps is the same as originally, if not slightly better, so this leads me to believe that it didn't change.

All I did was download the the new UserOptions and save it as a textfile and replaced it with the original UserOptions file. When I opened the game, the settings went to medium, so I turned them all back to max settings. Would changing the options in-game somehow mess up the ultra settings that I just put in?

Don't save it as a new file, copy the two sections from the ultra ini to intirely replace those two in the original ini. It will redownload the default ini if it's missing any of the default settings. In-game the settings that have been forced to ultra will show no label for their setting where it showed High before.

Ghost23

Don't save it as a new file, copy the two sections from the ultra ini to intirely replace those two in the original ini. It will redownload the default ini if it's missing any of the default settings. In-game the settings that have been forced to ultra will show no label for their setting where it showed High before.

So if you change the file, changing the settings in game will reset it?

Jhriad

Thanks for saving me the bandwidth. Doesn't sound like my kind of game. I hated that in BF2, and I played Karkand no-vehicles almost exclusively.

The only time vehicles are a problem is when they come en masse. And that's only an issue if you're severely undermanned. Honestly an organized squad with some burster maxes & shoulder launched lock-on rockets can tear through aircraft so long as there aren't a dozen liberators (bombers) bombing the ground.

It has been handy but I haven't been using it to recruit so much since the people I've contacted off the list (rather than the thread) already have an outfit by the time I contacted them. Either that or they never accepted my friend request/logged on while I was on. I'd love to have more GAF folks but the reality is that there aren't enough Gaffers to fill out several outfits across multiple servers so we've been working mostly off a base of Planetside 1 outfit members and recruiting promising folks from our pub squads. If I remember right you said the VS guild on Matherson came to pretty much the same conclusion.

Jibbed

I tried to play the Steam version tonight, this is how it went:

- Installed in no time
- Couldn't log in to my account, even though I could with the same credentials on the website.
- Had to reset password to log in (this whole process took half an hour because it either wouldn't reset or it'd ask me again even when I'd already done it).
- When I could finally log in, the game wouldn't even launch. 'PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working'. Great.
- Repeated the above several times.
- Verified the game files with the PS2 client option, it crashed.
- Verified files with Steam, still wouldn't work.
- Uninstalled.

MrBig

- Installed in no time
- Couldn't log in to my account, even though I could with the same credentials on the website.
- Had to reset password to log in (this whole process took half an hour because it either wouldn't reset or it'd ask me again even when I'd already done it).
- When I could finally log in, the game wouldn't even launch. 'PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working'. Great.
- Uninstalled.

The steam version has been reported as being broken several times, should try getting it directly from SOE.

Jhriad

- Installed in no time
- Uninstalled.

Hope you give the game another shot when we're farther out from the launch and some of the opening jitters have been worked out.

Jibbed

The steam version has been reported as being broken several times, should try getting it directly from SOE.

Ah right ok, downloading it now.

Hope you give the game another shot when we're farther out from the launch and some of the opening jitters have been worked out.

Yeah I know, still frustrating as hell though when I can't even get the thing to boot.

I forgot to mention that I had to create a new account to log in too. Even the client I've downloaded directly from SOE won't let me log in on my previous account without resetting the password, at which point it says my credentials are invalid.

I'll quite happily play on this new account but still, ugh. 22% dl'd anyway.

sixghost

Taking Hvar was awesome though. That was the first large scale siege that I've been a part of. I'm still having a little trouble sticking with my outfit, should I try to be near them at all time, or is it alright to split off every now and again? I'm an engy, so I'm kind of useless if no one is a MAX or has a vehicle.

Is there something wrong with the ammo pack ability? Half the time I drop it and it never materializes, but the cooldown starts.

MrBig

I'll be logging in some time around 7:30 (~45 minutes) to do an invite wave for the VS/mattherson outfit, anyone who requested an inv please be online then

Send MrBig a friend request if you haven't already made a request in the thread or the list

Taking Hvar was awesome though. That was the first large scale siege that I've been a part of. I'm still having a little trouble sticking with my outfit, should I try to be near them at all time, or is it alright to split off every now and again? I'm an engy, so I'm kind of useless if no one is a MAX or has a vehicle.

whatever you're doing should be directed by your squad leader and by communicating with the rest of your squad.

markot

Banned
I hate how unclear enemy and ally can be at times, the camo types dont help.. Purple and Blue are too close together too colourifically speaking.

Soi-Fong

Huge air attack on the Bastion in Mattherson! lol Sorry for the low quality. Just took it with the Steam screenshot feature.

2012-12-02_00001-1.jpg

2012-12-02_00006.jpg

MrBig

Does this thing have the legs to be around for a while?

It's going to be around for many, many years, considering all the player support it already has and the ambitious amount of content SOE will be adding for the next ~5 years with plans for continued support even up to 2025

markot

Banned
I think they should have 2 maps on rotation every week or so. If they release too many maps the servers will feel empty eh?

mr_nothin

Banned
I think they should have 2 maps on rotation every week or so. If they release too many maps the servers will feel empty eh?

That wont be the case at all. Actually, the opposite will happen. See, once they add more continents and have enough to support Home Continents (meaning only 1 faction has 1 permanent warpgate on that continent) then the battles will actually be a lot bigger and more intense and the game will really open up. Why would this be? Because you wont have access to all of the continents, all the time, like we do now.

They are going to connect all of the continents (or "maps) together and have them all linked by the warpgates. The game will become a lot more linear and you'll gain access to other continents progressively and linearly. We'll have to fight over who owns the different warpgates and those warpgates determine which other continents you have access to. Dont own any warpgates besides your permanent one (lets use Indar)? Well you cant spawn on Amerish, Searhus, Hossin, Esamir, etc. So you'll actually have a lot more teammates around you than you see now because they wont be spread out as much. There will be Worldwide/Planet-wide frontlines instead of the smaller ones we're seeing on each continent.

I cannot wait until that happens. Once that happens, I think people wont worry too much about an "endgame" anymore because that "endgame" will be OWNING continents and pushing other factions off of them completely.

demolitio

Whats up with all the PEW PEW spam?!
I'm about to leave this thread, too many Vanu

They finally recover from last night's blitzkrieg all over? :D

By the way, what should I get for my Mosquito next? I know you got flares, but I assume you got some of the other useful stuff now too. Taking a guess added armor or the better hovering?

Top Bottom