• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

nan0

I just bought the Python HEAT turret for my Lightning with the certs I earned from the double XPs so far. This thing is so much better than the standard Viper turret. Finally you can one-hit infantry if you aim properly and aren't totally defenseless to other tanks.

demolitio

That's because you're on the same server as The Enclave. What'd you expect?

Which is why a few of us are eager for character transfers to come out. I put too much into this guy to lose since it's so slow to unlock things in this game so the only way out is when the transfer option comes. I chose Mattherson because it was an East server and my BF3 battle buddy was on it, but the team is ridiculous and literally every time I see some idiotic plan in motion, I see the [TE] tag on the majority of them.

There's a few good outfits on there, but it can't keep up against TE plans since noobs follow them due to their numbers.

Soi-Fong

Which is why a few of us are eager for character transfers to come out. I put too much into this guy to lose since it's so slow to unlock things in this game so the only way out is when the transfer option comes. I chose Mattherson because it was an East server and my BF3 battle buddy was on it, but the team is ridiculous and literally every time I see some idiotic plan in motion, I see the [TE] tag on the majority of them.

There's a few good outfits on there, but it can't keep up against TE plans since noobs follow them due to their numbers.

It's the TEST dudes right?

Soi-Fong

I see lots of TEST on VS Mattherson. I think it's the reddit outfit.

Are any of the 3 engineer explosives worth investing cert in? I can't think of too many situations where C4 or mines would be that useful for an engy.

Actually, they'd be useful for doors and such to secure objectives.

Deadly

What's so bad about the Enclave?

Soi-Fong

Some weird shit has started happening to me mid-game where the environment and well everybody just started flickering on and off like literally. I was walking in a sky for like 2 minutes. Logged out for now since it could just be my computer also.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I see lots of TEST on VS Mattherson. I think it's the reddit outfit.

Are any of the 3 engineer explosives worth investing cert in? I can't think of too many situations where C4 or mines would be that useful for an engy.

I haven't unlocked C4 yet (working on it, I spent 200 on the utility belt by accident, I thought it was C4 for some reason, lol) , but I love mines. Placing them along frequently used walkways, doorways, spawn exits, on control points, etc. will almost always get you at least 1 kill.

Some weird shit has started happening to me mid-game where the environment and well everybody just started flickering on and off like literally. I was walking in a sky for like 2 minutes. Logged out for now since it could just be my computer also.

Old bug since beta, I've only seen it twice, but it sucks.

Also, I have been using the Serpent a lot, to get a feel of it, and I don't really see a reason to use it over VX6-7. The Serpent feels a little better in CQC, but it's a waste of SC/Certs if you have a VX6-7 already, imo.

demolitio

They're very one-minded and only organize huge "zerg rushes" as they call them where it's just a nonstop push to capture bases even though the other factions are just capturing the bases back right behind them or capturing other bases TR already had that were empty due to everyone wanting to be a part of the rush.

It's basically join the rush or die a million times since one man can't hold off a platoon.

Soi-Fong

They're very one-minded and only organize huge "zerg rushes" as they call them where it's just a nonstop push to capture bases even though the other factions are just capturing the bases back right behind them or capturing other bases TR already had that were empty due to everyone wanting to be a part of the rush.

It's basically join the rush or die a million times since one man can't hold off a platoon.

Like yous said, there's not much incentive to defend. You really can't blame people going with the crowd since its just human nature.

What's the point of staying back and just waiting, when you could go forward and gain more points.

Another statement I want to make are most sundy drivers not knowing when to move it or where.

Also, somethibg has to be done with the portals you drop through. It's messed uo where you get stuck in them. I killed a poor NC soldier who's feet was hanging through by shooting his legs . Lol

demolitio

Like yous said, there's not much incentive to defend. You really can't blame people going with the crowd since its just human nature.

What's the point of staying back and just waiting, when you could go forward and gain more points.

Another statement I want to make are most sundy drivers not knowing when to move it or where.

Also, somethibg has to be done with the portals you drop through. It's messed uo where you get stuck in them. I killed a poor NC soldier who's feet was hanging through by shooting his legs . Lol

The point is to win and dominate the continents. I remember when games didn't have to reward people just to convince them to try and win. How is it sitting back and waiting to fucking defend a point you JUST CAPTURED. That's called the frontlines and believing that another faction won't take that back as you go off to the next base is naive. When everyone thinks defending has to be a boring game of sitting back behind the lines, there's a problem. Yes, some defenses require holding back, but holding the frontlines is hardly boring by anyone's standards when two platoons are heading your way. If that's boring compared to standing around with 100 guys capturing a point with no enemy in sight, then I'm a boring person apparently.

And no, you can get a shitload of points defending too. I was talking about incentives for small bases and holding off skirmishes, not when all of VS comes to take back the bases RIGHT after The Enclave moves out of there to capture the next one.

Yes, they need an incentive for defending, but that doesn't excuse the lack of common sense or urge to win on anyone's part. I blame those people for thinking they're getting more points by following the "zerg" and getting captures with no enemies in sight while others are in bigger battles that are even meaning there's plenty of combat to be had plus whatever extra points on top of that.

I blame modern gaming more than anything else and this notion that defending is a boring game of twiddling your thumbs. Yes, they need incentives just so people do it more often, but the point was that TE just captures and leaves while the other factions just take it right back. So how is defending against a counter-attack any less heroic than riding in a convoy and sitting for 10 minutes capturing a base? Think of it as a Battlefield game on a larger scale, and that's how to play it. Know where your teammates are going and where the weak side is and you'll find even more people that way. The problem is, you can't do that outnumbered 2v40 like we've been doing.

This is directed to most of my teammates. Hell, I got more points defending today than they did during their "rush" which failed once NC joined in and just too what we cleared out for them. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be all because of incentives. The big battles are fun, but one side is the defender in those battles and it's usually not TR because our bases are taken before anyone else notices and spawns in there.

spk

They're a bunch of bigoted assholes.

Is there a grenade hack yet? This tower suddenly became overrun with explosives and I couldn't make it anywhere without seeing them...I didn't see infantry numbers that would explain that. The game crashed after I died on spawn 4 different times

sixghost

The point is to win and dominate the continents. I remember when games didn't have to reward people just to convince them to try and win. How is it sitting back and waiting to fucking defend a point you JUST CAPTURED. That's called the frontlines and believing that another faction won't take that back as you go off to the next base is naive. When everyone thinks defending has to be a boring game of sitting back behind the lines, there's a problem. Yes, some defenses require holding back, but holding the frontlines is hardly boring by anyone's standards when two platoons are heading your way. If that's boring compared to standing around with 100 guys capturing a point with no enemy in sight, then I'm a boring person apparently.

And no, you can get a shitload of points defending too. I was talking about incentives for small bases and holding off skirmishes, not when all of VS comes to take back the bases RIGHT after The Enclave moves out of there to capture the next one.

Yes, they need an incentive for defending, but that doesn't excuse the lack of common sense or urge to win on anyone's part. I blame those people for thinking they're getting more points by following the "zerg" and getting captures with no enemies in sight while others are in bigger battles that are even meaning there's plenty of combat to be had plus whatever extra points on top of that.

I blame modern gaming more than anything else and this notion that defending is a boring game of twiddling your thumbs. Yes, they need incentives just so people do it more often, but the point was that TE just captures and leaves while the other factions just take it right back. So how is defending against a counter-attack any less heroic than riding in a convoy and sitting for 10 minutes capturing a base? Think of it as a Battlefield game on a larger scale, and that's how to play it. Know where your teammates are going and where the weak side is and you'll find even more people that way. The problem is, you can't do that outnumbered 2v40 like we've been doing.

This is directed to most of my teammates. Hell, I got more points defending today than they did during their "rush" which failed once NC joined in and just too what we cleared out for them. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be all because of incentives. The big battles are fun, but one side is the defender in those battles and it's usually not TR because our bases are taken before anyone else notices and spawns in there.

I think it's partially to do with psychology as well. It's hard to feel like you are succeeding when you defend in this game. At least in my experience, defending is a neverending loop of repairing turrets, dieing, maybe killing a guy or two, dieing trying to get some support in the chat, then dying more.

It's easy to feel like you are winning when your group of 30 tanks roll up on a base and instantly lock it down.

J-Rzez

Do you think it would be worth saving up for a new gun to get the grenade launcher attachment? It would take a lot of certs...

Well out of curiousity I bought the noobtube for my LA and it's pretty darn strong. Worth the certs for sure. Flying around into odd locations and taking out 2 or so people at once is pretty fun. Or just flying up behind someone and knifing them.

I did a little research though and found out that the jetpack certs are bugged beyond 3 right now for some reason.

spk

TR has held the crown on Connery for like 3 days now even when surrounded completely. This is ridiculous

demolitio

I think it's partially to do with psychology as well. It's hard to feel like you are succeeding when you defend in this game. At least in my experience, defending is a neverending loop of repairing turrets, dieing, maybe killing a guy or two, dieing trying to get some support in the chat, then dying more.

It's easy to feel like you are winning when your group of 30 tanks roll up on a base and instantly lock it down.

That too. We're so used to winning all or nothing in games and acceptable losses are unheard of. Raiding a base does make you feel better than the average defensive battle, but I've had some defensive battles that made me feel more heroic and badass than any other moment in the game too.

That's definitely a good point. Gaining ground = success to people even if we're losing it elsewhere.

spk

The more I play this game the more I feel it needs large world design changes and a lot of gunplay polish before it really lives up to all the hype, and that's assuming performance eventually gets sorted out, though I doubt it will. As it is right now the game doesn't really do anything better than other shooters except for scale and graphics. I really think this would be getting more criticism if FPS as a genre wasn't in such a bad state. I enjoy the game but every single play session ends because I eventually get frustrated with it, especially with vehicle domination being what it is currently

Sarcasm

Is there a way to keep the chain mini gun spinning (so it shoots faster)?

Btw I survive much better as LA and do better guess I will stick to that class.

Favorite method is few bullets from my gun (close range) than a knife to the head.

Noaloha

They're led by this guy.

pEIbu.png

Moaradin

Jeez, I'm in the Enclave. I joined primarily because I want to have big coordinated efforts but I didn't know the leader was like that. I'm kinda scared to hop into their vent servers now.

Sarcasm

Is there a way to keep the chain mini gun spinning (so it shoots faster)?

Btw I survive much better as LA and do better guess I will stick to that class.

Favorite method is few bullets from my gun (close range) than a knife to the head.

Also want to ask another question, should I wait/hold off on buying the new weapons for a sale?

I also noticed on TR side there is a vehicle bundle..I saw bulldog and rocketpods...plus many others, get it?

Myomoto

Also want to ask another question, should I wait/hold off on buying the new weapons for a sale?

I also noticed on TR side there is a vehicle bundle..I saw bulldog and rocketpods...plus many others, get it?

Waiting on weapons to go on sale before buying them is just trading your own convenience/loot lust for a bit more money, I would make sure to trial anything before buying it, and there seems to be a pretty healthy community on youtube for checking out weapons for their pros/cons. In any event, if you're ever considering doing anything with a Mosquito I'd highly recommend the rocket pods - they are practically a must buy in my mind.

For the HA minigun, just keep tapping the fire button to keep it spun up, that's the only solution, that I know of, currently.

I picked up the Trac-5 S carbine over the weekend and have been using my bonus certs on unlocking attachments for it. The amount of stuff you can put on this thing is almost overwhelming!

Soi-Fong

Was gonna play this late at night, but then got too into Sword Art Online... Sweet mother.. Will have to play tonight!!!

Edit: Have accumulated up to 600+ certs. What should I upgrade since I've been loving HA and engineer, but haven't really upgraded both (as in not spending 50 or 50+ certs) on any upgrades yet..

I've also kept my Vanu Pulsar LSW stock. Not really sure what to upgrade on it yet... Or wait for new LMG's then get those..

They're led by this guy.

pEIbu.png

Lol o buzzcutpsycho, we totally destroyed their attempt to take Eisa Tech Plant last night and apparently they raged about it on his live stream. I even killed him twice :D Can't believe this dude is BR70 already...

btw if any gaffers wanna play with an outfit that generally roles 2 full platoons strong, AzureTwilight (AT) is recruiting

J-Rzez

Wish I had his live stream addy. It would be great to listen to it in the background for the rage while killing him and his boys in game.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think I'm done for this weekend. 90% of my team were at one point for like an hour while we lost almost every other territory

sixghost

Lol o buzzcutpsycho, we totally destroyed their attempt to take Eisa Tech Plant last night and apparently they raged about it on his live stream. I even killed him twice :D Can't believe this dude is BR70 already...

btw if any gaffers wanna play with an outfit that generally roles 2 full platoons strong, AzureTwilight (AT) is recruiting

NC or VS?

Does anyone know how to take high resolution screenshots in this game? I'd rather not use the steam screenshot function. I tried PrtScn -> paint but I just got a screenshot of my desktop.

DTKT

I'm getting really bad performance of my 670 and i5-750.

In really busy fights, I get maybe 15-20 FPS. That seems way too low...

MrBig

NC or VS?

Does anyone know how to take high resolution screenshots in this game? I'd rather not use the steam screenshot function. I tried PrtScn -> paint but I just got a screenshot of my desktop.

Use fraps to capture lossless PNGs or use the ingame hook (ctrl f12 I believe, it's in the keybinding menu) for jpgs, shots will dump in "...\PlanetSide 2\ImageCaptureOutput"

I'm getting really bad performance of my 670 and i5-750.

In really busy fights, I get maybe 15-20 FPS. That seems way too low...

OC your cpu if you can. Also set the PS2 process priority to high in the process manager.

spk

Jeez, I'm in the Enclave. I joined primarily because I want to have big coordinated efforts but I didn't know the leader was like that. I'm kinda scared to hop into their vent servers now.

What would make you continue to want to play with them after seeing that, with the knowledge that that behavior isn't limited to just him in that outfit

What would make you continue to want to play with them after seeing that, with the knowledge that that behavior isn't limited to just him in that outfit

yea I agree, any time I see that sort of language/behavior in any online game, I just wonder WTF am I doing wasting my time with these games, I should be studying!!

Moaradin

I haven't played with them yet. Just recently joined, but I doubt I will stick with them if that's how a lot of them are.

NC or VS?

VS http://azuretwilight.org/ Apparently these guys have been around since PS1 and use TeamSpeak for everything. While we defended Eisa last night, we had ~129 people in a single channel, was pretty epic

Mupod

Man everything keeps getting in the way of my grinding. First I need to work on a Saturday for the first time in my life, and today the power was out for 6 hours.

I'll make up for it tonight, though. Don't need to work until Wednesday so I can go nuts.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Your CPU is the culprit.

what was that command line setting to check? I'm playing the game on an old Phenom II and it's fine. with a 570 he might be better off with medium settings. before crossfire worked I was playing it on a single 6950 and it seemed like I needed to be playing it in medium (570 and 6950 are roughly equivalent)

(and as always update drivers)

Top Bottom