• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Thats what I feared. I hope I can figure out that OC business.

nah, they really need to optimize CPU usage ASAP, but that is understandably hard. That said, the results of people using 'setting X on CPU Y' seem to vary immensely and for no good reason.

total RAM hasn't been noted though. I imagine that having just 4GB (as I do) is an impediment as well.

On my last entry (outfit platoon + zerg), I got 20fps even after using the minimum settings from the reddit page in heavy battles. Very few hickups though, and our infantry only assault on tanks + infantry onto the next base was awesome.

vazel

Banned
They're led by this guy.

pEIbu.png
His streams are hilarious to watch. His outfit is so intense.

DTKT

what was that command line setting to check? I'm playing the game on an old Phenom II and it's fine. with a 570 he might be better off with medium settings. before crossfire worked I was playing it on a single 6950 and it seemed like I needed to be playing it in medium (570 and 6950 are roughly equivalent)

(and as always update drivers)

alt-f
It shows what is bottlenecking the system in brackets. In my case, CPU showed up 100% of the time.

Soi-Fong

God damn. Rocket pods are so fuckinn broken in this game.

Edit: Just FYI here I have a second monitor which I use to monitor performance and at near ultra settings I use more than 8gbs of memory. I have 16 DDR3 1600mHz so I have plenty, but just to say this game is a memory hog.

sixghost

It's like playing an entirely different game when you are with an organized outfit. God, this might be the best game this year.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I finally unlocked C-4... it's pretty amazing blowing up vehicles that ignore you, sund spawns, etc.

demolitio

Sorry to anyone who adds me. For some reason, I accept the invite and then next time I log on, you're off my list. Unless you bastards delete me so quick that I don't even get a chance to run into you, than I don't know what's going on.

I've had 4 or so disappear in the past few days without even playing with them. :(

Edit: I need to unlock C4 but I don't know what class to do it for yet. It's a steep price so I want to make sure it's used a lot. Medic is my most played but I think it makes other classes more dynamic and useful too...Hmmmm...

It's like playing an entirely different game when you are with an organized outfit. God, this might be the best game this year.
Welcome aboard :)

Welp, this weekend's double Xp has been kind to me, I think I've gained roughly 1600 certs. God I'm going to miss this cert rate come tomorrow

MrBig

Sorry to anyone who adds me. For some reason, I accept the invite and then next time I log on, you're off my list. Unless you bastards delete me so quick that I don't even get a chance to run into you, than I don't know what's going on.

I've had 4 or so disappear in the past few days without even playing with them. :(

I've had someone stuck in an invite loop, every time I've logged on the invite will appear in my notifications, no matter if I decline or accept

demolitio

I've had someone stuck in an invite loop, every time I've logged on the invite will appear in my notifications, no matter if I decline or accept

Mine is accepted and they're added to my list for that session, but then they're gone next time I get on and there's no invite anymore. Kind of weird.

I'm wishing I went VS just to have a group of people to play with though. Shit gets old quick when I find a flank to a capture point and get it back just to have to defend it by myself until the enemies finally overwhelm me. I've managed to have some good hiding spots and ambushes though. Trying to find a good squad that isn't one of the bad outfits but still works together is the challenge. No Enclave for me but all the squads follow their charge anyway when the smart people that can see flanks and take advantage of them have no support. :p

I just wish I didn't have money into this character. I decided to take a chance and support the game since I love it but don't have money to keep spending so I'd hate to switch and lose the vehicle bundle. I wish the bundles went account wide or something, but I understand why they don't...lol

I think our TR GAF outfit on Mattherson is gone too unless the friend bug also kicked me out of the outfit. I don't blame him if it's gone though since it was pretty pointless. I wanted to join an East server but still be TR which is why I chose it to begin with.

Soi-Fong

Mine is accepted and they're added to my list for that session, but then they're gone next time I get on and there's no invite anymore. Kind of weird.

I'm wishing I went VS just to have a group of people to play with though. Shit gets old quick when I find a flank to a capture point and get it back just to have to defend it by myself until the enemies finally overwhelm me. I've managed to have some good hiding spots and ambushes though. Trying to find a good squad that isn't one of the bad outfits but still works together is the challenge. No Enclave for me but all the squads follow their charge anyway when the smart people that can see flanks and take advantage of them have no support. :p

I just wish I didn't have money into this character. I decided to take a chance and support the game since I love it but don't have money to keep spending so I'd hate to switch and lose the vehicle bundle. I wish the bundles went account wide or something, but I understand why they don't...lol

I think our TR GAF outfit on Mattherson is gone too unless the friend bug also kicked me out of the outfit. I don't blame him if it's gone though since it was pretty pointless. I wanted to join an East server but still be TR which is why I chose it to begin with.

Lol Pretty much this. Killed 9 guys and dissipated an enemy group just by flanking right and sniping them out. They didn't even know where the hell I was since fire from the front was so heavy.

zugzug

I have a question, has Planetside 2 fixed the problem some people had with in game voice communication working?

I do not have a sound card and run my sound thru my motherboard using IDT audio software and while I could hear others just fine they cannot hear me. Same with in game DayZ

However Ventrilo works perfectly fine and people hear me just fine/and I hear them just fine.

Sarcasm

what was that command line setting to check? I'm playing the game on an old Phenom II and it's fine. with a 570 he might be better off with medium settings. before crossfire worked I was playing it on a single 6950 and it seemed like I needed to be playing it in medium (570 and 6950 are roughly equivalent)

(and as always update drivers)

nah, they really need to optimize CPU usage ASAP, but that is understandably hard. That said, the results of people using 'setting X on CPU Y' seem to vary immensely and for no good reason.

total RAM hasn't been noted though. I imagine that having just 4GB (as I do) is an impediment as well.

On my last entry (outfit platoon + zerg), I got 20fps even after using the minimum settings from the reddit page in heavy battles. Very few hickups though, and our infantry only assault on tanks + infantry onto the next base was awesome.

It is his CPU. Your AMD P2 is better than an 750. I run an 3770K and GTX670 - I get 60 FPS. Really heavy intense fights 50.

The game isn't very optimized is the main issue that does this.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Smed just tweeted that300 accounts were banned this weekend for cheating. I personally didn't see anyone cheating this weekend, and I played probably 6 hours or so.

Jhriad

Are you a Euro player? TR outfit on Connery is always looking for more. :) We had a pretty awesome night last night where we had two gals full doing drops for a few hours. VS finally took the gals down but not until we retook the entire western front of Indar down to Vanu Archives. Most nights aren't that packed but it was nice to get so many folks online at once.

They've said they're working on a way to make unlocks account wide though I have no idea if it'll be limited to your current faction or not (since some guns are faction specific those will be limited of course).

I have a question, has Planetside 2 fixed the problem some people had with in game voice communication working?

Don't bother, ingame voice chat is shit. Half the time someone talks in command chat their voice is sped up like 4x so it's nigh impossible to understand. The rest of the time the audio quality is kinda up and down. Just find a group with a dedicated voip server (Teamspeak, Vent, Mumble, etc). Tons of outfits out there have servers and there are even some "alliances" of outfits that group together onto single TS servers.

Signed up for the GAF clan. Got an NC on Matherson.

Only GAF outfits currently operational are the TR one on Connery (me), VS on Matherson (MrBig), and another TR on Matherson though from what demo is saying I'm not sure if they're still up and running or not.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SOE was going overboard, telling us whenever they had GM's online.

Actually saw one, didn't realize until I emptied a clip in him to no damage. :lol

VS GAF is kind of disappointing. Not alot on and no conversation, unless I'm missing a TS3/Mumble/Ventrillo setup.

SOE was going overboard, telling us whenever they had GM's online.

Actually saw one, didn't realize until I emptied a clip in him to no damage. :lol

VS GAF is kind of disappointing. Not alot on and no conversation, unless I'm missing a TS3/Mumble/Ventrillo setup.

Hehe, I loved the system announcements like,

"SOE employees have Operator in their names and are invulnerable." followed shortly by...

"Operators are invulnerable - you're wasting your ammo."

It was a bit creepy to picture them running around... like some Nanite Gods slumming it up on Auraxis. I hope everyone enjoyed the bonus experience - a buddy of mine spent all his hard-earned certs on a Dalton instead of the superior Zephyr. He wasn't too happy.

MrBig

Yeah GMs need a special visual for when they need to become visible. I'm sure having them show up as a normal soldier in normal faction uniforms is causing many people to waste their time shooting them or reporting them.

Perhaps use the TR infil character model with a special referee camo that removes all faction accents.

Yeah GMs need a special visual for when they need to become visible. I'm sure having them show up as a normal soldier in normal faction uniforms is causing many people to waste their time shooting them or reporting them.

Perhaps use the TR infil character model with a special referee camo that removes all faction accents.

Dress em up in a different color, like orange or something

Anilusion

Are you a Euro player? TR outfit on Connery is always looking for more. :) We had a pretty awesome night last night where we had two gals full doing drops for a few hours. VS finally took the gals down but not until we retook the entire western front of Indar down to Vanu Archives. Most nights aren't that packed but it was nice to get so many folks online at once.

They've said they're working on a way to make unlocks account wide though I have no idea if it'll be limited to your current faction or not (since some guns are faction specific those will be limited of course).

Don't bother, ingame voice chat is shit. Half the time someone talks in command chat their voice is sped up like 4x so it's nigh impossible to understand. The rest of the time the audio quality is kinda up and down. Just find a group with a dedicated voip server (Teamspeak, Vent, Mumble, etc). Tons of outfits out there have servers and there are even some "alliances" of outfits that group together onto single TS servers.

Only GAF outfits currently operational are the TR one on Connery (me), VS on Matherson (MrBig), and another TR on Matherson though from what demo is saying I'm not sure if they're still up and running or not.

What server and faction would you recommend me playing as (EU) if I wanted to do some organized large scale fighting?

Jhriad

What server and faction would you recommend me playing as (EU) if I wanted to do some organized large scale fighting?

If you're able to play on Mattherson without any problems you might ask MrBig and some of the other Gaffers on the server their opinions. Just thought I'd point out that the Gaffers are, to my knowledge, most VS on Mattherson. I know there are plenty of big, non-GAF outfits on Mattherson so if you're not looking for a GAF affiliated group that shouldn't be an issue. I play on Connery (US West) so my experience might not be super helpful.

MrBig

you might ask MrBig and some of the other Gaffers on the server their opinions.

I really don't know the state of the VS outfit. I got in on some squad ops with Bamelin on the first day of launch and have had an awkward living situation since then, probably won't be able to get my computer for a couple more weeks.

Core Zero

I'm Korovir in the Mattherson VS outfit. I'm pretty quiet usually, but I'm thinking of investing in some squad leader stuff, mainly because it seems that whenever I join a random squad, there's no one taking the lead, using waypoints/beacons. I'm not very good, but the game is much more fun with a group, for sure. I figure if I'm deploying a Sunderer and directing people somewhere, it's better than just running around at random, or crashing multiple Scythes. It would be great to see more people on though, didn't see that many on this weekend.

Jhriad

What're everyone's Battle Ranks here? Curious if I've caught up with everyone yet at BR 29 since I missed the first week of launch.

I'm Korovir in the Mattherson VS outfit. I'm pretty quiet usually, but I'm thinking of investing in some squad leader stuff, mainly because it seems that whenever I join a random squad, there's no one taking the lead, using waypoints/beacons. I'm not very good, but the game is much more fun with a group, for sure. I figure if I'm deploying a Sunderer and directing people somewhere, it's better than just running around at random, or crashing multiple Scythes. It would be great to see more people on though, didn't see that many on this weekend.

If you're going to lead squads the Spawn Beacon certs are excellent. One of the first things I did was max out the Spawn Beacon and now we practically don't need another spawn point if we don't die immediately upon dropping.

mr_nothin

Banned
What're everyone's Battle Ranks here? Curious if I've caught up with everyone yet at BR 29 since I missed the first week of launch.

If you're going to lead squads the Spawn Beacon certs are excellent. One of the first things I did was max out the Spawn Beacon and now we practically don't need another spawn point if we don't die immediately upon dropping.

I'm at lvl 32 w/ no boosters (besides the Double XP weekend). Havent been playing as much as I should though.

Edit: Just FYI here I have a second monitor which I use to monitor performance and at near ultra settings I use more than 8gbs of memory. I have 16 DDR3 1600mHz so I have plenty, but just to say this game is a memory hog.

I suspected as much, since my system spends a good deal of time swapping when I exit the game as well.

(while playing on low. Map data still has to go somewhere. And yes, I do fly from one warpgate to another for kicks. :p)

DTKT

Good post on Reddit on how the game revolves around cert-gain instead of territory/continent control.

Honestly, I think that the fact that you're tying "achievement" in a war game to personal cert gain shows the REAL failing of SoE in Planetside 2. If the game lived up to the idea, you'd leave the game feeling like you've achieved something if you had taken a key base, or defended a big push. But because they've made territory control so meaningless and made the game about the battle - not the war - personal cert game becomes some kind of measure of achievement and progress

I don't think it makes Planetside bad, I just think that the territory control is somewhat meaningless in it's current state. I've seen people camping Biolabs so many times that it's kind of sad.

MrBig

Good post on Reddit on how the game revolves around cert-gain instead of territory/continent control.

I don't think it makes Planetside bad, I just think that the territory control is somewhat meaningless in it's current state. I've seen people camping Biolabs so many times that it's kind of sad.

This is what I've seen in how a lot of people play and complain about, but it's also conditioning, people expect some sort of reward for doing things so that's what the zerg works for.

I never really cared about XP/rank in any game and it's no different with Planetside. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it didn't depend on how many certs I earned and dumped into upgrades.

A possible method for focusing the zerg: do not directly reward attackers in a territory XP for kills, instead make kills and objective destruction affect a modifier that multiplies the base capture XP reward, up to a max of some amount, say 10k for a facility, 5k for towers, and 2.5k for outposts. Then for defenders make kills have a base XP bonus of 10 and then a modifier to multiply that depending on the size of the attacking force relative to the defenders, up to a max of 100XP, and give big rewards for repairing gens.

Liberty4all

Banned
I really don't know the state of the VS outfit. I got in on some squad ops with Bamelin on the first day of launch and have had an awkward living situation since then, probably won't be able to get my computer for a couple more weeks.

GAF on VS Mattherson usually has a squad going when I'm on ... The reality though is that I had to do some open door recruitment to get enough people in the outfit to make it sustainable (to make sure there are actually people on no matter when you personally log on).

a part of the issue is that we need more squad commanders ... Guys that when they log on they start an outfit squad and actively recruit other members if the outfit to join the outfit squad. Its what I do when,I log on and usually we get about 6 -7 of us squadded up after which I link us to a platoon.

in terms of voice we've been using the in game system ... Again we don't have the numbers to make vent feasible, especially since we are still picking up randoms on the fly to flesh out any squad we have going.

not sure what the answer us to this except to say we need guys who will be dedicated squad leaders when they log on and actively start outfit squads.

Anton668

in terms of voice we've been using the in game system ... Again we don't have the numbers to make vent feasible, especially since we are still picking up randoms on the fly to flesh out any squad we have going.

well I did set up a raidcall server for us being as its free. so, ppl can use that if they wish. it works and sounds good.. and did i mention its free? lol

Mupod

Smed just tweeted that300 accounts were banned this weekend for cheating. I personally didn't see anyone cheating this weekend, and I played probably 6 hours or so.

I've only seen a few on Soltech, at least ones I was sure were cheating. I've seen a LOT of weird stuff that I just attribute to lag.

But yeah there were some that definitely weren't just lagging. One was a Vanu speedhacker who blazed past my Sunderer on foot, it was kinda funny because I was gonna stop to give him a ride. Second was a guy this morning who wasn't hacking but constantly abusing a glitch - it was a BR41 NC running around with MAX armor HP and damage resistance as a light assault. We killed him 5-6 times and he kept coming back like that, it was like fighting a raid boss. Hopefully they take action because it's still cheating.

Also not too long ago I ran into another speedhacker, this time TR. He wasn't quite fast enough to escape my magburner. Reported him right away now that I know how to do it.

Anyways I'm sitting on about 850 certs right now. I've been spreading myself too thin...I thought about investing in C4 and a Solstice SF + grenade launcher, but I never play light assault so it'd be wasted on just my engineer who only fixes vehicles. So I might just save up 1000 to max out Nanoweave on my HA. It's not that big an upgrade though...I think that'd be better spent upgrading my Scythe or Magrider. I'm really enjoying both of them now that I have photon pods and the wide blast radius main Magrider gun (they were in the vehicle pack they have up right now - almost every gun in there is great).

Core Zero

I'm willing to try and get things rolling, but I'm bad and will likely get people killed, Sunderers stranded, and Galaxies smushed on the sides of hills. Right now I only have the first spawn beacon level, any other certs I should look into immediately if I want to lead (I do have Sunderer AMS)?

As for the zerg and cert chasing, I'm not sure what they could do, with certs being tied to the shiny loot. One thing I'd like to see is more rewards for defending, and possibly more ways to push attackers out and keep them out. Spending resources on static/NPC defense, for example. Also, I was thinking it might be good to offer bonuses for holding a territory continuously for an extended time. That said, even the zerg can be fun when two big groups meet. I'm still only rank 10 but I lose track of time playing this more than any game in a long time, will definitely be playing more.

Jhriad

a part of the issue is that we need more squad commanders ... Guys that when they log on they start an outfit squad and actively recruit other members if the outfit to join the outfit squad. Its what I do when,I log on and usually we get about 6 -7 of us squadded up after which I link us to a platoon.

Pretty similar issue for us over on Connery. I'm just thankful that I've got a few PS1 outfit members that will start up a squad when they're on, which sadly isn't as often as would be ideal.

Top Bottom