• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Man

Good numbers!

"We deliberately made the game, the core game, so that without paying us a dime is fun and free. We wanted to do right by the players. Our thought was if we make a fun game and put cool stuff in it to buy, the ones who really like the game will buy it."

SOE noted that the game currently has 1.6 million registered users and 250,000 daily users. The publisher is also working on Everquest Next, the follow-up to the MMORPG that built Sony Online.

"We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them. It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set,” Smedley said.

"What we're doing [with emergent gameplay] is so radically new that we're not really talking about it," said Smedley. "What I will say is that what we're looking at is ways of making players part of the world itself. You'll understand it when you see it. We're almost at the point where we want to show the world."

Smedley recently chatted with GamesIndustry International as well, noting how it's been "really, really hard" to make MMOs on consoles, but that next-gen should help address that problem.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-18-soes-smedley-free-to-play-an-art-not-a-science

stryke

Seems there are problems staying logged in on the Briggs server after some maintenance. What's it like on other servers?

Spruce

Neo Member
Is there a place were I can find out top ranking Platoons on Connory? I would really like to try this game out with a good squad now that I spent so much money on it :'(

Bought 6000 sony dolla for 15 pounds. Feel that I have got that value from the game already and I want vehicle weapons.

I play TR with the light vehicles more. So I'm thinking I should unlock the HEAT for the lightening and the ground rockets for the Mossie as a start? That should leave me with a chunk of change left.

Why on earth is the text so tiny in this game? I feel like I don't know what I should be doing in the game as reading the menus/HUD/etc. is such a chore.

Okey, I've spent some SmedCash on dem new shiny weapons and willing to tell you short story about each of them and my opinion on how good they are.

GR-22 [Medic]
Ex-known as Torrent, this assault rifle is a straight beast in the close quarters. Even though it was like 10 times better in the days of beta, you still might want to buy it if prefer close contact with the enemy. Laser Sight is required if you wan't to kill stuff with higher accuracy. Sadly, weapon is kinda bad in the mid-to-high ranges. Even controlled burst won't save you from its terrible (in my opinion) COF.

Warder [Engineer / Heavy Assault]
Just buy it, and don't ask any question. Right now. This beastly battle rifle is probably the best weapon of choice for those who prefer both damage and accuracy combined in the single weapon. 20 rounds, semi-auto, ridiculously high reload speed and low as hell recoil. Most of the times 4 bullets are enough to calm any bipedal threat (except for MAX).

GD-7F [Engineer / Light Assault]
Exceptionally good carabine, designed to slaughter enemies in the shortest periods of time. Don't be fooled with the lowest damage per bullet over all NC carabines: its DPS is ridiculously good. Soft point ammunition makes it even deadlier at the point blank range, though sacrificing its long range capabilities due to the slower bullet travel time.

GD-22S [Heavy Assault]
In all ways better than the regular NC6 Gauss SAW, with the only exception of 2 times lower magazine.

CzarTim

I really love my MSW-R for my heavy.

So I wanted to try out a sniper rifle for the first time, but the trial comes with no scope?! Talk about useless.

MutFox

Banned
Well the $200 is still mostly not used...
6 Month Pass and spent $100 on the 3x SC yesterday...
Only bought some vehicle weapons so far... :p

Still have over 25000SC left... :D

I'm not spending anymore money on this game...

MrBig

Why on earth is the text so tiny in this game? I feel like I don't know what I should be doing in the game as reading the menus/HUD/etc. is such a chore.

Even playing at 109dpi and 120dpi this isn't an issue for me... I do have to put the UI in "centralized" mode on my 27" though

You can try setting the game to a lower resolution to increase the size of the UI and then compensating for the decreased rendering res by increasing render quality over 1.0 in useroptions.ini.

e: really damn cool atmospheric tech demo from the guys working on Reset, would love to see this kind of system used whenever SOE starts working on implementing their weather systems

Even playing at 109dpi and 120dpi this isn't an issue for me... I do have to put the UI in "centralized" mode on my 27" though

You can try setting the game to a lower resolution to increase the size of the UI and then compensating for the decreased rendering res by increasing render quality over 1.0 in useroptions.ini.

I'm playing on a 32" at 1360 x 768. It's really off-putting.

MrBig

I'm playing on a 32" at 1360 x 768. It's really off-putting.

Text will be huge in that case and lowering the res and compensating with a higher RQ is really your only option atm if you wanted it to be even bigger, this is a PC exclusive with a UI designed around people playing the game up close on a monitor with a KB/M.

Text will be huge in that case and lowering the res and compensating with a higher RQ is really your only option atm if you wanted it to be even bigger, this is a PC exclusive with a UI designed around people playing the game up close on a monitor with a KB/M.

Yeh I figured this was the case, but I no longer play PC games at a desk. I'm not really prepared to lower the resolution as I'm really happy with how the game looks. I'll try to deal with it.

MrBig

Yeh I figured this was the case, but I no longer play PC games at a desk. I'm not really prepared to lower the resolution as I'm really happy with how the game looks. I'll try to deal with it.

Render Quality is used to control the rendering resolution of the game; what I'm trying to say is that if you lower the game's resolution it will make the UI bigger as is normal, but then you increase the rendering quality and you can make the game render at the same or higher resolution as the native res of your TV, independent of the UI which remains at the appropriately scaled size for whatever you set the game res to.

Shai-Tan

Banned
They should put more checks in their code. I was getting a glitch yesterday where I had infinite repair on my engineer. Happened several times. I used it to repair some stuff in a base but someone could have stood behind a vehicle getting attacked. I probably would have if i wasn't too lazy to go find one.

I also had some turrets get too much heat and get stuck with it permanently.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So what are must buys for HA and LA, on the NC or VS side.

people talk about the LSW for the VS HA. Some don't like the A2A rocket launcher for HA (because it's kind of easy for air to avoid) but as long as it keeps them further away, it's doing it's business (though you might not see XP results)

LA, I'm just now getting around to using, so I don't know much in the way of purchasable gear for them. Got a Burst rifle that I share with Engineer, and it currently has an underbarrel smoke grenade. LA needs C4 to make it worthwhile.

on TV/PC screen, I'm playing on a 36" (I think, never can remember that stuff) and play on a 1600x1200 resolution. Seems fine to me.

Soi-Fong

So apparently, the new Annihalator Rocket Launche is all kinds of fail. Lower speed than default RL and Decimator, but can lock on both to ground an air. Another negative is it has lower damage than the default and much lower than the Decimator,

Lonestar

I had bought the magrider secondary turrent, a Laser one that's anti tank, instead of the Halberd (which looked like an anti tank rocket launcher). Seems like they had similar ratings (except the range of "Long" to "Very Long")

Any noticeable difference?

I had bought the magrider secondary turrent, a Laser one that's anti tank, instead of the Halberd (which looked like an anti tank rocket launcher). Seems like they had similar ratings (except the range of "Long" to "Very Long")

Saron is the go to 2ndary, fastest "bullet" velocity of any tank weapon and very little drop, IMO way better than the Halberd

I hear most people go with the LSW (on sale today for 125SC or 100certs) or the default Orion for VS, for LA I hear a lot of praise for the vx6-7 but I personally use the Solstice SF for the smoke launcher

Soi-Fong

Saron is the go to 2ndary, fastest "bullet" velocity of any tank weapon and very little drop, IMO way better than the Halberd

I hear most people go with the LSW (on sale today for 125SC or 100certs) or the default Orion for VS, for LA I hear a lot of praise for the vx6-7 but I personally use the Solstice SF for the smoke launcher

If people don't have the VX6-7 yet, Serpent is the better gun now. Lower recoil and faster firing rate.

Jhriad

Is there a place were I can find out top ranking Platoons on Connory? I would really like to try this game out with a good squad now that I spent so much money on it :'(

We're not the best but we're pretty good when we're rolling. If you want to run with us. Do you have an outfit? I thought I'd added you to my friends list but I don't know that I ever got you to respond in game.

demolitio

Ok I need some opinions. Which mines are the best for engy to carry?

Isn't it either claymores or AT mines as far as actual mines go? I know C4 is in that slot too, but if it's just those two, then it's really up to what you find yourself needing more often. Claymores are great to watch your back or to place near objectives in bases because it will almost always give you a kill while AT mines are really good for when armor has to cross a choke-point but requires better judgement on placement than claymores to get a kill because there's so much open area for vehicles to go around them.

Really, it's either AP or AT. I find myself getting killed by claymores and laughing about it a lot because it can easily defend a generator and also alert you when people are in the area.

sixghost

Ok I need some opinions. Which mines are the best for engy to carry?

I almost always carry the proxies. Tank mines are useful in very specific situations, but it's pretty difficult to predict where the armor push will come from. With proxies you are almost guaranteed a kill if you place it in a good spot, unless you get unlucky and a MAX triggers it. Proxies are also great when you are using your turret to defend positions. Just drop your 2 proxies in doorways or pathways that can be used to flank you. When you hear them explode, or you see a kill confirmation pop up, that's a pretty good time to move to a new spot.

Having both is probably best though. When you know you are going to be defending a big push, grab a flash and tank mines, go lay your tank mines, take your flash back to the sundy or loadout station, and resupply with proxies. I'm pretty sure you can have both deployed at the same time.

Noaloha

I also had some turrets get too much heat and get stuck with it permanently.

I've had this occur multiple times to me. It's really odd. And it has always occurred in a state where the other AA emplacements simultaneously suffered. And it wasn't something that just effected me -- other players would also get a frozen 'heat' level. I still have no idea if it's a glitch or some kind of 'long game' cool-down.

On the NC side, I cannot give enough love to the GD-7F. Such a great short-midrange weapon, especially once you put Advanced Laser on it for hip-firing domination. I get a ton of mileage from my shotgun on LA too, I really like the Mauler, the one which comes as part of the Infantry Bundle (which also comes with the Rebel pistol -- so good), the Mauler just feels snappy, brutal if you can get a headshot. Shotguns are a GREAT weapon to use when you're in the air, jetpacking around -- they don't suffer from the bloom effects that other weapons do (by which I mean, the increase in spread of your on-screen cross-hairs when you jump or jetpack), they bloom only based on rate of trigger-pulling*.

Does anyone know when the double xp event starts?

It's on! Right now! Lasts until January 2nd!

*[citation needed] but I think this is true.

Soi-Fong

So I take back what I said about the annihalator. Just trailed it. It's worth it just to get ESF to freak out and fire flare when you haven't even fired and just get their ass. It's good deterrence.

demolitio

I don't know if I like the TAR or NS-11 better for the medic class. The TAR has an insane fire rate, but that NS-11 is on point with every damn bullet even with no attachments. I almost think it's better due to how easy it is to get headshots with it.

I think the rest of the weapons will have to wait for a bundle deal for me to get them. They're smart not to have any of those going on right now, lol.

Jhriad

I don't know if I like the TAR or NS-11 better for the medic class. The TAR has an insane fire rate, but that NS-11 is on point with every damn bullet even with no attachments. I almost think it's better due to how easy it is to get headshots with it.

I think the rest of the weapons will have to wait for a bundle deal for me to get them. They're smart not to have any of those going on right now, lol.

I'd side with the NS-11 personally. Totally agree with ya on the bundles. I'll wait until I can get bundles or 50% off daily deals on the stuff I want.

We're not the best but we're pretty good when we're rolling. If you want to run with us. Do you have an outfit? I thought I'd added you to my friends list but I don't know that I ever got you to respond in game.

I'm on Connery as TR if anyone wants to send me a FR. Krappadizzle is my in-game name.

Liberty4all

Banned

If the secondary is the Sauron you bought all kinds of win.

That thing demolishes tanks and can often take out hovering aircraft too. It's a one shot on infantry as well.

Liberty4all

Banned
Also just wanted to say I love my horn.

Today me and 2 GAF'ers rolled by a packed TR base firing off those grenade rounds while I honked the horn like crazy. So awesome and WORTH EVERY PENNYYYYYYY

Mupod

If the secondary is the Sauron you bought all kinds of win.

That thing demolishes tanks and can often take out hovering aircraft too. It's a one shot on infantry as well.

It's funny how 90% of Magriders I see now have one, myself included.

I just finished a huge killing spree with mine...I must be real close to the Auraxium medal for the VPC. Is there any way to check vehicle weapon medals at all? I see I have ~1150 kills in the Magrider and most of those are with that gun, but I can't be sure how close I am.

Lonestar

TR doesn't want to give up that bio lab on Indar (Alltium?) But me and a couple of random's, with Armor locking Rockets, kept them in check, cause earlier they were spamming the hell out of us with tanks.

Top Bottom