• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Twinduct

We got two continent locks yesterday on Mattherson. :p

Indar was amazing the day before when squad beacons were placed on the crown and 4 squads dropped on the place. I swear on my drop, there was 30+ pods dropping with me. It was amazing.

Nice! yeah also had one of those mass drops. We almost had a full platoon. Platoon leader gets the head of each squad to run and drop the beacon .. Mass attack! One of the more epic moments in the game so far!

I must say that total biscuit is the only one of the 3 guys that isn't terrible

True heh. But yeah from worst to best, Tobuscus leads the pack :p

Soi-Fong

Put in a decent amount of time last night and this morning. Initial thoughts:

- I'm really terrible at this game. I expected this to be the case given that I haven't played an FPS since Halo 1.

- But it's still a lot of fun! Starting this morning I finally felt somewhat competent. At one point I jetpacked onto a roof and gunned down a couple engineers holding off our push with their turrets. At that point I finally felt slightly less useless.

- The minimap is all sorts of crazy and probably needs a better tutorial.

- The game looks good and runs at a pretty solid rate given the insane amount of stuff that can be going on. I'm looking forward to what EQ Next will look like running this engine.

- Planes are hard to fly and people can't drive tanks/sunderers worth a damn the moment even a small hill comes into sight

Gonna play a lot more today and try out a couple other classes.

Nice to see more people trying the game. :)
Play more!! Double XP is awesome!

If you wanna build XP fast, look for someone who's good with a liberator and has the zephyr. You'll rack up kills pretty quickly.

Anno

I'm gonna hop back in after lunch and try out some medic. I love driving along with people in a turret but man, most people can't drive worth a damn. Though earlier me and another guy in the sunderer turrets were holding off some TR scum while the driver kept trying to go up some hill. Eventually a couple aircraft flew in and murderer everyone, but it was really fun!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I joined New Conglomerate to play with my friend but it seems that they lose a lot and aren't able to control more than a quarter of a continent. Is it me joining at wrong time or is it for real?

vazel

Banned
I joined New Conglomerate to play with my friend but it seems that they lose a lot and aren't able to control more than a quarter of a continent. Is it me joining at wrong time or is it for real?
When I logged on earlier my faction(Vanu) got our assses whooped back to our home base only to then reclaim most of the continent in the next hour. Planetside 2 is basically a tug-o-war with no real victor. It's something I'm finding really disappointing about the game.

Soi-Fong

I may be a bit bias, but out of the three NC has the least amount of outfits actually willing to work together. GOON is the only outfit for NC that is worth noting.

Vanu and TR have more.

Yesterday, Vanu had GAF, TEST, AT (the Reddit outfit I think) and some others actually coordinating attacks and defense throughout Indar and Esamir.

subversus

When I logged on earlier my faction(Vanu) got our assses whooped back to our home base only to then reclaim most of the continent in the next hour. Planetside 2 is basically a tug-o-war with no real victor. It's something I'm finding really disappointing about the game.

no, I actually liked it since it's possible to conquer continents but logging in and finding all 3 continents conuered is dissapointing.

J-Rzez

I may be a bit bias, but out of the three NC has the least amount of outfits actually willing to work together. GOON is the only outfit for NC that is worth noting.

Vanu and TR have more.

Yesterday, Vanu had GAF, TEST, AT (the Reddit outfit I think) and some others actually coordinating attacks and defense throughout Indar and Esamir.

Don't forget about The Ascended (TAS). Especially if you're counting "GAF" as a notably sized outfit. We have at least 30 people on and all squad/platoon up usually. We coordinate with GOON as much as possible. MU joins in sometimes as well.

Which server? On Mattherson we triple capped a few times, and we work together. It's not to be doubted that NC has a tougher time due to balance. My KDR on my TR and VS alts are 3x and 4x respectfully.

Soi-Fong

Don't forget about The Ascended (TAS). Especially if you're counting "GAF" as a notably sized outfit. We have at least 30 people on and all squad/platoon up usually. We coordinate with GOON as much as possible. MU joins in sometimes as well.

Which server? On Mattherson we triple capped a few times, and we work together. It's not to be doubted that NC has a tougher time due to balance. My KDR on my TR and VS alts are 3x and 4x respectfully.

I don't think really the "size" matters, but more of the coordination and planning which I don't see from the NC side. I'm not saying size doesn't matter, but Vanu in Mattherson, I see a lot of outfits working together to take bases and such.

Vanu and TR have more.

TEST is the reddit outfit, AT is Azure Twilight and have been around since PS1. But yea I'd agree out of the 3 factions NC has the least number of organized outfits

TR On Connery is a lot of fun. Having a great time. I joined an outfit called TxR which has been really fun. We had Friday Night Drunken Ops where we did a 50 man Galaxy Kamakaze run on the NC. It was hilarious and awe inspiring to see so many flying busses trying to it 60 tanks on the ground. Just chaos.

subversus

I re-joined TR because I had more fun with them. Had to start from scratch with american account because SOE EU doesn't want to accept my debit card anymore for a reason unknown even to them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
had a fun time slowly pushing TR up the left side of Indar (around the Excavation site).

We had gotten pushed back to HVAR, but through infantry we held the canyon, until armor and air arrived to help push forward.

Big Chungus

So i have a total of 2000 SC points or whatever they're called, which ship should I upgrade if I want to actually take down other ships?

im Vanu btw.

Soi-Fong

So i have a total of 2000 SC points or whatever they're called, which ship should I upgrade if I want to actually take down other ships?

im Vanu btw.

Ships? I'm guessing you mean aircraft or ESF's. In that case, it'd be your Scythe though depending I'm guessing you're aiming for dogfighting..?

Shai-Tan

Banned
if I quit the Vanu GAF outfit on Mattherson(sp) what outfit should I try to join instead? We just don't have the people to always have something going

J-Rzez

I don't think really the "size" matters, but more of the coordination and planning which I don't see from the NC side. I'm not saying size doesn't matter, but Vanu in Mattherson, I see a lot of outfits working together to take bases and such.

We work together just fine with GOON and MU. The other outfits for NC tend to roll in our platoons. The only time I ever saw a GAF Vanu squad was when I unloaded my breakers into a sunderer netting 5 kills. :)

not terrible at all. It's still fun because BIG SHIT'S HAPPENING I'M RIDING WITH 20 OTHER TANKS THERE ARE 10 AIRCRAFTS IN THE SKY EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE OMG

i see. i did tribes ascend for a while and it got frustrating when i didn't have the time to grind for better gear. then they patched it a handful of times to make things work better. never picked it back up.

hoping planetside 2 gives me a more rewarding feeling.

MrBig

i see. i did tribes ascend for a while and it got frustrating when i didn't have the time to grind for better gear. then they patched it a handful of times to make things work better. never picked it back up.

hoping planetside 2 gives me a more rewarding feeling.

All the infantry weapons are all just variations of eachother, there's nothing you have to buy or grind for on that side to get a good experience.

Vehicles have a good base as well but a lot of the unlock stuff for them are pretty big upgrades that people can buy; it'll take 10~30 hours each to unlock the higher level stuff once you understand how to play the game so you can easily go without paying for anything

Soi-Fong

not terrible at all. It's still fun because BIG SHIT'S HAPPENING I'M RIDING WITH 20 OTHER TANKS THERE ARE 10 AIRCRAFTS IN THE SKY EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE OMG

lol This. Disregarding the vehicles, the starting weapons for most classes (with the exception of infiltrators) are good enough for most situations where what matters then is skill.

Anno

Definitely settled on medic as my favorite class when it's practical. LA is fun when assaulting some of the bases with interesting natural cover and high points, too. I kinda wish that vehicles weren't so widely available. It'd definitely be harder to take some defended areas, but there would be fewer times when never-ending lines of tanks are just rolling through a bases destroying everything. Another 50 certs or so and I get some anti-tank stuff on my LA, though, so maybe that'll be better.

Soi-Fong

Definitely settled on medic as my favorite class when it's practical. LA is fun when assaulting some of the bases with interesting natural cover and high points, too. I kinda wish that vehicles weren't so widely available. It'd definitely be harder to take some defended areas, but there would be fewer times when never-ending lines of tanks are just rolling through a bases destroying everything. Another 50 certs or so and I get some anti-tank stuff on my LA, though, so maybe that'll be better.

lol If vehicles weren't so widely available, then you wouldn't have the epic battles.

f0rk

Tried it again today and got randomly put in a platoon with leaders saying what to do and people following it and the game was much more enjoyable. I still found myself thinking I could be playing BF3 instead though.

J-Rzez

Even though this is what seems and feels like a polished beta as I expected far more depth in content, this is my GOTY easily. I always enjoyed large battles, what I liked about BF3 and MAG, and this is just an even larger scale.

The game direly needs more content though, more depth. The gameplay though is killer, a great foundation for sure. More content along with some solid increases to infantry rendering and this can be the go-to shooter for a long time.

I'm pretty sure it'll inevitably make it onto the PS4, and when it does I hope they make it cross-platform.

Tried it again today and got randomly put in a platoon with leaders saying what to do and people following it and the game was much more enjoyable. I still found myself thinking I could be playing BF3 instead though.

I tried running a platoon for some time, and while we managed to conquer the continent it was quite hectic. I was basically stuck in map mode and trying to figure out which squad should go to which area, taking into account where people in the platoonchat was telling me to go.

Still, it was pretty hilarious.

Jhriad

Had a hacker taking out guys by the dozen earlier. He'd just camp out below the world textures and kill us as we spawned. First time I've seen something that bad but he was going for hours.

Gotta assume the GMs are away for the holiday or something.

lol If vehicles weren't so widely available, then you wouldn't have the epic battles.

As someone who prefers playing infantry, I wish they would tone down the resource rate in general. I've seen a lot of fights lately where the victory just goes to the team that can spam the most tanks/gunships, which isn't very interesting. It also sucks that a lot of the better anti-vehicle gear is hidden behind the pay wall, so for a non-paying player there's not much you can do against it.

I don't mind the big, vehicle-based battles, but sometimes it seems like the game is actively discouraging infantry, at least in the tech plant and amp station fights. You could still get big fights with, say, half the resource rate. It would just be less frequent instead of every major encounter.

Soi-Fong

As someone who prefers playing infantry, I wish they would tone down the resource rate in general. I've seen a lot of fights lately where the victory just goes to the team that can spam the most tanks/gunships, which isn't very interesting. It also sucks that a lot of the better anti-vehicle gear is hidden behind the pay wall, so for a non-paying player there's not much you can do against it.

I don't mind the big, vehicle-based battles, but sometimes it seems like the game is actively discouraging infantry, at least in the tech plant and amp station fights. You could still get big fights with, say, half the resource rate. It would just be less frequent instead of every major encounter.

I'll have to disagree. I think the cooldown in place already prevents complete clusterfucks from happening. You can't blame one outfit or another for just being more organized in amassing and mobilizing these huge convoys.

acksman

Looking for an active Outfit anywhere at this point. I play NC on Soltek, but willing to start over. Just not much organization on that server with NC.

I do like NC, but would be willing to try out one of the other factions.

You should give AT a try on vanu Mattherson. We're a very organized outfit that generally runs 2 full platoons during peak times. Team speak is a requirement, as well as listening to orders but we're a pretty chill group. If you're interested go to www.azuretwilight.org to get the team speak info. To join just join one of their squads and get on TS and ask for an invite

Jhriad

Looking for an active Outfit anywhere at this point. I play NC on Soltek, but willing to start over. Just not much organization on that server with NC.

I do like NC, but would be willing to try out one of the other factions.

Connery TR is always looking for a few good men (and women).

MrBig

You should give AT a try on vanu Mattherson. We're a very organized outfit that generally runs 2 full platoons during peak times. Team speak is a requirement, as well as listening to orders but we're a pretty chill group. If you're interested go to www.azuretwilight.org to get the team speak info. To join just join one of their squads and get on TS and ask for an invite

Probably going to hook up with these guys or GotR myself, every time I log on to PS2 to cheat the passive certs there are only a couple people on the GAF outfit. Keeping the GAF outfits will be a good stepping stone atm for incubating players but there doesn't seem to be much GAF interest in outfit OPs to really get a big thing going. Maybe later when SOE makes their big ad push next year with new content.

Soi-Fong

Probably going to hook up with these guys or GotR myself, every time I log on to PS2 to cheat the passive certs there are only a couple people on the GAF outfit. Keeping the GAF outfits will be a good stepping stone atm for incubating players but there doesn't seem to be much GAF interest in outfit OPs to really get a big thing going. Maybe later when SOE makes their big ad push next year with new content.

Bamelin so far has been the most active outfit leader for GAF. Always organizing something with other outfits. Still though, we're most active late at night, 9 pm - 4 am EST.

acksman

Sounds good I will check that out. Vanu was probably my last faction as choice, but I would rather have good organized games than this zergs I'm in now.

I'm in Texas is that a east coast play time?

Jhraid, do you have a Outfit name/website I can look at? I would like to join a fairly large one to always have someone online to squad up with.

I'll have to disagree. I think the cooldown in place already prevents complete clusterfucks from happening. You can't blame one outfit or another for just being more organized in amassing and mobilizing these huge convoys.

The cooldown just stops the zerg from repopulating itself quickly, it doesn't prevent it from forming. And it's not that hard to outlive the cooldown if you're in a big tank column because there's little that counters it other than... more vehicles.

Sounds good I will check that out. Vanu was probably my last faction as choice, but I would rather have good organized games than this zergs I'm in now.

I'm in Texas is that a east coast play time?

Jhraid, do you have a Outfit name/website I can look at? I would like to join a fairly large one to always have someone online to squad up with.

Yea its east coast playtime, official Ops usually runs from around 7pm ET to 1am ET, but there's people playing together during most of the day. I've heard good things at GOTR as well, we team up with them pretty often

Top Bottom