• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Noaloha

It's funny how 90% of Magriders I see now have one, myself included.

I just finished a huge killing spree with mine...I must be real close to the Auraxium medal for the VPC. Is there any way to check vehicle weapon medals at all? I see I have ~1150 kills in the Magrider and most of those are with that gun, but I can't be sure how close I am.

I've watched several Saron youtubes and they all paint the same picture -- that gun is shit-hot. And it's a secondary(!). A pinpoint sniper-cannon like that on a vehicle-base that can so easily evade long-range fire is an absolute bastard to deal with en masse in sieges. :] Shitty Vanu!

As much as I dislike the idea of a player's purchases getting neutered, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saron got a nerf at some point soon.

EDIT:
Bleh feels like I should join TR. VS just not worth it. Not to mention we've got Tobuscus as our 'leader'.

NC!

GAF's lack of NC brethren is pushing me into the weird arms of those unsettlingly unfamiliar Something Awful forums.

Sort it out GAF. Embrace some yellow and blue.

We have the best MAXes. (And you can turn game music down to zero.)

Twinduct

Pffffft. I look bad in Blue and Yellow ... I also look bad in green & purple though.
Bleh I just want an EU outfit that's semi active during the evening hours :/
(Even if it's members arnt on GAF)

Noaloha

Admit it. You have a mancrush on TotalBiscuit.
FYI: He ain't gonna take you into his inner harem.

If red and black submissive is your thing though... whatever!

Mupod

What the hell, I was killed by Evilore.

And he's a Terran.

Oh, shit, I didn't know you could take down air vehicles by dropping on them!

While dropping in I splattered a Reaver + its pilot sitting on the launchpad at a tech plant earlier. A friendly Infiltrator was milling about and just stared at me blankly as I emerged from the wreckage.

Seconds later, another Reaver landed, so I blew it up with a rocket after its pilot got out to repair. Before I could shoot him he got smacked by a piece of the Reaver and was sent flying off into the horizon. The Infiltrator and I just kinda stood there in silence for a bit in awe of what had just transpired.

Twinduct

Admit it. You have a mancrush on TotalBiscuit.
FYI: He ain't gonna take you into his inner harem.

If red and black submissive is your thing though... whatever!

I just like their fighter planes :p
And no TB seems like a swell guy, but doubt he'll entertain any deviant notions I have.

Hell I'd join a the damn NC if there is an active EU outfit!

Jhriad

What the hell, I was killed by Evilore.

And he's a Terran.

HDdHa.gif

Evilore knows what's up.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've watched several Saron youtubes and they all paint the same picture -- that gun is shit-hot. And it's a secondary(!). A pinpoint sniper-cannon like that on a vehicle-base that can so easily evade long-range fire is an absolute bastard to deal with en masse in sieges. :] Shitty Vanu!

As much as I dislike the idea of a player's purchases getting neutered, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saron got a nerf at some point soon.

EDIT:

NC!

GAF's lack of NC brethren is pushing me into the weird arms of those unsettlingly unfamiliar Something Awful forums.

Sort it out GAF. Embrace some yellow and blue.

We have the best MAXes. (And you can turn game music down to zero.)

I hate GOONS and their shitty reavers/lib swarms. I make it a point to point my platoon and the Vanu Zerg at both them and Enclave (TR) whenever I get a chance. I always take great pleasure shooting their reavers down by the dozens with my double AA burster or A2A Scythe.

With that said, they make great NC propaganda videos.

Liberty4all

Banned
Bleh feels like I should join TR. VS just not worth it. Not to mention we've got Tobuscus as our 'leader'.

Join the VS on Mattherson. We have a lot of fun together.

And to be honest within 48 hours of playing on a faction you will HATE the other 2 with a fervent zeal.

And to be honest within 48 hours of playing on a faction you will HATE the other 2 with a fervent zeal.

This, especially on Mattherson, your choices are some decent Outfits (Azure Twilight, GAF, PRX) on VS, the Enclave on TR or the Goons on NC. While purple really ain't my color and TB is a much better faction leader than Tobuscus, you know you want pew pew laser guns :p

Soi-Fong

While dropping in I splattered a Reaver + its pilot sitting on the launchpad at a tech plant earlier. A friendly Infiltrator was milling about and just stared at me blankly as I emerged from the wreckage.

Seconds later, another Reaver landed, so I blew it up with a rocket after its pilot got out to repair. Before I could shoot him he got smacked by a piece of the Reaver and was sent flying off into the horizon. The Infiltrator and I just kinda stood there in silence for a bit in awe of what had just transpired.

I've dropped on a Lib and a Reaver a few times and it's always me who gets killed. I have no freakin idea why...

MrBig

While you guys have gone through these periods of 2xp I'm still at BR12, and I'll likely not catch up for a while with school+work, and my computer is still on the other side of the country atm. Also I wasted over a month of my alpha squad boost by equipping it on launch day and I haven't really been able to play since the day after launch :/

I wish premium wasn't a separate thing you have to pay for, because I'll never pay $15/m for it. It'd be great if you spent $15 you get bumped to premium for the next 30 days

Twinduct

That's the one I'm complaining about :p
Like honestly between 6-10pm GMT+2 there is like one/ two people from the outfit online.

MrBig

I'll create an NC outfit on the EU server (Miller) then - "Gracious Anarchy Fighters"!

PM me in game "Squiddybiscuit" if you want in.

Set this up in the OP

For anyone new here that hasn't already done it, feel free to send out invites to anyone on the GAF list, and add yourself to it

gafplayers.png

New players fill out this form: Planetside 2 GAF Players

This is for the soldier that you'll use to play with other GAF players; you may submit any other soldiers you want people to be able to find you as on other servers. You can also opt to be sent an invite to the GAF outfits via the form.

The NeoGAF player list can list can be accessed here. Sort the list by your faction of choice and send out friend invites after you submit your own character to the list. Send a friend request and a /tell to outfit leaders or officers to get invited to the GAF outfits in-game, or have the outfit box checked when signing up on the form and they'll contact you. Note that currently you have to be online to be invited to an outfit.

Graph data can be viewed here.

Liberty4all

Banned
That's the one I'm complaining about :p
Like honestly between 6-10pm GMT+2 there is like one/ two people from the outfit online.

We usually have 5 - 6 on during prime time EST .... Usually between 9 - 3 in the morning. It's not through lack of trying (outfit has close to 70 members). When I'm on we are almost always rolling in a 48 man platoon jaggernaught made up of GAF and other outfits.

Anno

Just watched the Bombcast quicklook of this, think I want to give it a shot. Plus I want to support SOE in some fashion. Should I just download away and jump in? Or can I save myself some headache by researching stuff first?

MrBig

Just watched the Bombcast quicklook of this, think I want to give it a shot. Plus I want to support SOE in some fashion. Should I just download away and jump in? Or can I save myself some headache by researching stuff first?

I'd skim over the second post of the OP before you jump in because there is no tutorial at all in the game and it basically dumps you in the middle of the action when you hit play when you make a new char.

Get the client from the SOE site, not via steam.

Twinduct

We usually have 5 - 6 on during prime time EST .... Usually between 9 - 3 in the morning. It's not through lack of trying (outfit has close to 70 members). When I'm on we are almost always rolling in a 48 man platoon jaggernaught made up of GAF and other outfits.

Not blaming the GAF outfit! Just my choice of going after the US gaf group (Due to size) and then being 'suprised' that no one is online what should effectively be either super early in the morning or the dead of night.

Quick question guys, anyway I can toggle voice chat? I want to toggle outfit voice.
(Without using Autohotkey .. no idea how the game will tolerate key macros)

Soi-Fong

I'd skim over the second post of the OP before you jump in because there is no tutorial at all in the game and it basically dumps you in the middle of the action when you hit play when you make a new char.

Get the client from the SOE site, not via steam.

Any reason why? I've been using the steam one fine.

Though I do get lockups.

MrBig

What's the advantage of the SOE client? I haven't had an issue with Steam so far.

If it works it works, but there have been account creation issues with people using the Steam method for initial set-up, so might as well bypass it. The actual client is exactly the same.

Ding

Hey, hey.

Okay, About a week in, I actually had a very enjoyable session yesterday. It felt like I was being marginally useful, and I was getting a decent bit of XP. I did things like:

• After "being there" for a base take-over, I ran around and spruced things up after the rest of the guys moved on. I hacked a few consoles back to our side, and repaired some turrets and generators.
  • I spent some money on "my" Magrider, adding forest and snow camo, that Saron secondary gun, some optics, and a bit o' front armor. Then I drove about fighting things. Actually killed a couple.
  • I begged and pleaded for a while at the warp gate, and finally got someone to man my new gun. As soon as I engaged someone, he bailed out. Dickhead.
  • I wandered around awhile and found someone in a Magrider that would let me be a gunner. We must have zerged around for 45 minutes before some aircraft killed us. I spotted stuff like a mad man, and helped kill several dudes. It was kinda relaxing!

I have questions:

What's the best way to chat with others in your vehicle? Text chat, I mean. Is there a "/say" channel that is suitably short ranged? I try the proximity voice channel from time to time, but no one ever responds.

Why do people drive around with their headlights on? Seems like a good way to get killt.

Is there a way to see ping times? I was wondering if the west coast servers are even an option for me.

Is there a way to find people again after you (and they) have been killed in a fiery tank explosion? I think I saw a way to friend people, but I don't know if that works after the fact. And once they are friended, how does that help you?

A comment:

It's annoying, I have all this cash now, and the only thing on sale has been freaking snow tires!

Gracious Anarchy Fighters has disbanded!
Twinduct and me were pretty much the only ones in it, and according to the excel sheet there's only like 4-5 other gaffers on the EU server :p

Twinduct

^^^^^^
Yeah join the team whose lead by Tobuscus! Makes sense.

Gracious Anarchy Fighters has disbanded!
Twinduct and me were pretty much the only ones in it, and according to the excel sheet there's only like 4-5 other gaffers on the EU server :p

lol you make it sound so dramatic :p

Oh whilst here time to share a story. We had a decent run on TS with NC last night. We got a continent lock and everything. Anyways afterwards everyone was kinda celebrating and there was this one reaper outfit that flew around everywhere with the trololo playing over their prox chat. Found that pretty funny.

Soi-Fong

^^^^^^
Yeah join the team whose lead by Tobuscus! Makes sense.

lol you make it sound so dramatic :p

Oh whilst here time to share a story. We had a decent run on TS with NC last night. We got a continent lock and everything. Anyways afterwards everyone was kinda celebrating and there was this one reaper outfit that flew around everywhere with the trololo playing over their prox chat. Found that pretty funny.

We got two continent locks yesterday on Mattherson. :p

Indar was amazing the day before when squad beacons were placed on the crown and 4 squads dropped on the place. I swear on my drop, there was 30+ pods dropping with me. It was amazing.

Anno

Put in a decent amount of time last night and this morning. Initial thoughts:

- I'm really terrible at this game. I expected this to be the case given that I haven't played an FPS since Halo 1.

- But it's still a lot of fun! Starting this morning I finally felt somewhat competent. At one point I jetpacked onto a roof and gunned down a couple engineers holding off our push with their turrets. At that point I finally felt slightly less useless.

- The minimap is all sorts of crazy and probably needs a better tutorial.

- The game looks good and runs at a pretty solid rate given the insane amount of stuff that can be going on. I'm looking forward to what EQ Next will look like running this engine.

- Planes are hard to fly and people can't drive tanks/sunderers worth a damn the moment even a small hill comes into sight

Gonna play a lot more today and try out a couple other classes.

Top Bottom