• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Anno

Just rolled through an awesome 45-minute long defense of a place that was just what I want: 80+% infantry at both short a long range and maybe 20% tanks/planes. Man if everything could be that great. Also medic is definitely my class of choice.

Noaloha

You gain passive certs while logged off on a daily basis, up to a cap (just eyeballing it, seems to be around 10-15 certs?). Need to log in once per day to 'claim' them from what I've been able to gather.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
just got done playing for a few hours after installing the new pc parts. getting much better frames now so it made it alot more enjoyable.

i unlocked C4 with light assault and was having a blast with that taking out tanks and maxxes. the best was probably when i was high up on a cliff and a tank came through the valley below. i jumped off, jetpacked to slow down and drop a C4 on top, jetpacked off to the cliff on the other side, and blew him sky high.

MrBig

Just rolled through an awesome 45-minute long defense of a place that was just what I want: 80+% infantry at both short a long range and maybe 20% tanks/planes. Man if everything could be that great. Also medic is definitely my class of choice.
I love the vehicle heavy stuff. There will be other continents like Hossin that will primarily support infantry, as well as expansions to the primary facility types that promote different types of play
You gain passive certs while logged off on a daily basis, up to a cap (just eyeballing it, seems to be around 10-15 certs?). Need to log in once per day to 'claim' them from what I've been able to gather.
iirc it's 8 per 24 hrs. You have to have logged on within the last 48hr for it to continue awarding passive certs

Anno

I love the vehicle heavy stuff. There will be other continents like Hossin that will primarily support infantry, as well as expansions to the primary facility types that promote different types of play

I completely see why you think this way, and I don't think you're "wrong". Just to me the FPS side of the game is more enjoyable than the vehicle play. Plus I like support classes and there aren't really support vehicles unless maybe you count manning someone else's gun (which is super fun) or ferrying people into combat (also really fun).

I guess I just think it'd be more enjoyable if vehicles were both less common and more powerful. To me it should be a big deal when a tank rolls up, and seeing 12 magliders spawn and roll off into the sunset doesn't give me that feeling.

MrBig

I completely see why you think this way, and I don't think you're "wrong". Just to me the FPS side of the game is more enjoyable than the vehicle play. Plus I like support classes and there aren't really support vehicles unless maybe you count manning someone else's gun (which is super fun) or ferrying people into combat (also really fun).

I guess I just think it'd be more enjoyable if vehicles were both less common and more powerful. To me it should be a big deal when a tank rolls up, and seeing 12 magliders spawn and roll off into the sunset doesn't give me that feeling.
As I said there will be future content to support different types of play, if infantry combat is what you're interested in Hossin will be your new home whenever its released. As for actually changing up vehicles, a slightly lower resource acquisition might be ok, but vehicles are already quite powerful.

Well, I just rage quit Planetside 2 for the first time

Kept dying almost instantly in every firefight I got into. Getting headshot by carbines at 50+ yards in the first 1 or 2 shots, dying instantly with full health and shields.

Figured it might be someone hacking, so I redeployed, figured I'd fight somewhere else. Same shit happening there. Near instant dying, getting shot from distances I shouldn't be getting shot from (at least with the weapons they are using)

Dying to 1 shot from a pistol.

After a few minutes of this, I just said fuck it and quit.

I think just the mission system alone will go a long way with people in this game. I like it now but get frustrated with my faction at times, but I see glimpses of the future and get excited like a little kid at Christmas thinking about where this game will be by next year. Solid foundation and the continent tweaks that are desperately needed will help hold me off until that dream day.

How is the mission system going to work?

I've been enjoying running with a big outfit lately, but I have run into a lot of the frustrations that sixghost mentioned with inexperienced leaders, or on the flipside, platoon members who act like pricks to the platoon leader whenever they don't get their way, or constantly ignore their orders to farm easy certs instead.

Right now I feel like the game does the moment-to-moment combat extremely well, and there is potential for amazing encounters (which are great when they happen). But the broader strategic layer still needs some work, as right now it incentivizes some weird behavior.

I could see a mission system going a long way to fixing that, especially if it takes some of the responsibility for strategic decision making off the platoon leaders.

Soi-Fong

Kept dying almost instantly in every firefight I got into. Getting headshot by carbines at 50+ yards in the first 1 or 2 shots, dying instantly with full health and shields.

Figured it might be someone hacking, so I redeployed, figured I'd fight somewhere else. Same shit happening there. Near instant dying, getting shot from distances I shouldn't be getting shot from (at least with the weapons they are using)

A TR bastard and NC was hacking at Allatum today in Indar. Mother effer just made everyone freeze in place. They (NC) still have the goddamn place up to now.

Report, report, report. Last weekend I noticed the first cheater in PS2. I play on Miller for the TR and in 20+ hours I have only seen one obvious cheater. We were fighting the Vanu for a biolab on Indar. And one guy was shooting people through walls. Half the platoon reported him and 5 minutes later he was gone. Guess it's pretty obvious when one guy is killing someone every second though.

Mupod

I've seen a lot of claims of hacking that were just lag, or a good player. I dunno about 'people freezing in place' but I've seen mass disconnects after the server took a dump, which left many of both factions standing around running in place.

I've put 120+ hours into the game and I've only seen a few who were definitely cheaters, all speedhacks, and none in the last couple weeks. Soltech might just not have a lot of them though, most are probably on the more populated servers like Mattherson or Waterson.

Although the guy who got to BR 45+ by abusing the MAX health light assault exploit is still running around. That's pretty pathetic that they never banned him even though he used it nonstop for weeks.

The only hacking I've run into (and it may be a bug, I dunno) is weird "ghost" enemies who appear to be flickering in and out of existence. They're usually running around in the middle of a bunch of allies where I'd expect them to be killed instantly, but other players don't seem to notice them.

They never seem to be exploiting it for kills though, so I'm wondering if it's a network bug that causes them to show up in the wrong place in my game.

mr_nothin

Banned
I've seen a lot of claims of hacking that were just lag, or a good player. I dunno about 'people freezing in place' but I've seen mass disconnects after the server took a dump, which left many of both factions standing around running in place.

I've put 120+ hours into the game and I've only seen a few who were definitely cheaters, all speedhacks, and none in the last couple weeks. Soltech might just not have a lot of them though, most are probably on the more populated servers like Mattherson or Waterson.

Although the guy who got to BR 45+ by abusing the MAX health light assault exploit is still running around. That's pretty pathetic that they never banned him even though he used it nonstop for weeks.

You've only seen hackers that are blatant. There are plenty of hackers out there where it's a lot harder to tell.

I've not seen too many hackers. Once in two weeks of play. I have been been killed skillfully, but it wasn't due to hacks. I'm very happy with how little hacking I've seen in planetside 2. I was actually expecting to see more of it happening.

Woo-Fu

Banned
There are plenty of non-obvious hacks for most games like this. There is a huge world of opportunity between no hacks and obvious people spinning in place aimbotting. Are you going to notice somebody using an x-ray hack in a game like this? After all that person might only kill you once with it. So many targets in a game like this.

That said, you just have to find a way to enjoy a game in spite of the cheaters, be it private servers, only playing with friends, etc., whatever you can do with a given game to segregate yourself from them.

demolitio

Wow, this is the worst Mattherson has been for me. Each server is so lopsided that there's no fun to be had on any continent. To give you an example, Indar was 86%, 9%, and 10% and the others had other extreme bullshit populations as well.

They really need to cap the max population a faction can have on one continent until they can address it fully because this is pointless otherwise.

MrBig

Wow, this is the worst Mattherson has been for me. Each server is so lopsided that there's no fun to be had on any continent. To give you an example, Indar was 86%, 9%, and 10% and the others had other extreme bullshit populations as well.

They really need to cap the max population a faction can have on one continent until they can address it fully because this is pointless otherwise.

What they really need to do is crank out Searhus and another continent quickly, and perhaps go ahead turn these 3 conts into home conts with their neutral gates. The game really wasn't designed to be played in the state it's in now :/

demolitio

What they really need to do is crank out Searhus and another continent quickly, and perhaps go ahead turn these 3 conts into home conts with their neutral gates. The game really wasn't designed to be played in the state it's in now :/

Exactly what I mean. Until that shit is ready, cap the populations to keep it from being so boring and one-sided on every continent. They need a quick fix instead of just waiting until they have more continents ready because this problem has made the game very inconsistent.

mr_nothin

Banned

This is what I've been saying! It's also exactly why I stopped playing. After playing sooo much....we really need that linear continent progression right now. Every time I try to get back into it, I get pissed because I know ppl are just warping around and I'm sick of the lopsided populations on each and every single continent. I'm not coming back until they put in the linear continent progression because I'm playing for the meta game now and it's just not there atm. It sucks because I really want to get back into the game :(

Most people arent going to complain about things like this right now because they're still coming to grips with the game and they're just enjoying the "OMG, there's 100's of ppl and ships flying and shit and tanks everywhere, holy shit....sundies and shit...omg liberators and galaxies blowing up holy shit there's so much shit going on!!!" feeling that they never had before. If this was the beta still, we'd have tons of threads requesting home continents asap.

I think part of the problem is that the current bonus for holding a continent is almost meaningless. Last night I logged on just as we were about to lose our bonus on Amerish, and it was me and maybe ten other guys defending the final outpost. Everyone else had fled to Indar since the easy certs from running with the zerg were more appealing than keeping our 10% discount on Amerish.

I think if the bonus included a small XP/cert bonus, there might be a better incentive to hold on to it.

I'd also like to see some mechanic for players to invest in bases to make them more powerful over time. Right now there's little reason to defend in a losing battle because it's so easy to recap later (after the enemy leaves) and be right back where you started. The only "growth" of the bases is having engis repair stuff, which can be done in a few minutes. I'd like to see a new "facilities" resource that lets you upgrade/build turrets, improve/add shields, and maybe some bigger stuff like a limited radar system or a device that slowly auto-repairs everything in the base. Something that lets us turn bases into something worth defending.

can somebody explain me this thing about linear progression? I warp around a lot.

I'm curious about that too, and also how the home continents would work. I assume those are ideas from the original Planetside?

MrBig

can somebody explain me this thing about linear progression? I warp around a lot.

I'm curious about that too, and also how the home continents would work. I assume those are ideas from the original Planetside?

Yes, it will be similar to the PS1 system. The closest thing you might be able to compare it to is the Payload gametype in TF2.

Each of these 3 current continents will house a single permanent warpgate for one faction, they will become the home continent for that faction, the rest of the Warpgates will be neutral. Each future continent will be fully neutral. Each of the neutral warpgates will only link to one single other warpgate on another continent. For example The VS warping off Amerish to Searhus, fighting the TR there, taking over and locking the continent, and then warping to Hossin, where the TR falls back to, and then back to Indar, the TR home continent. Along this path the TR can't effectively just warp to another continent to avoid defending like what is happening now.

I tried the game... sadly it ran like crap even on my i7 3610QM (I was CPU limited 90% of the time) so I wasn't really enjoying it. Maybe if they ever optimize the CPU side a bit better... not getting even 30 stable FPS with that CPU is too much. It's not like it was a huge battle either.

Mupod

You've only seen hackers that are blatant. There are plenty of hackers out there where it's a lot harder to tell.

I actually ran into an NC shortly after making that post who was shooting through walls. The worst part is he's sitting there in yell telling people to 'look up :)' when he's doing it inside windowless buildings.

And 'harder to tell' is kind of what I mean...most of the descriptions of 'hacking' could go either way. The game's netcode is impressive considering the scale but not perfect, which can cause some bullshit deaths. The TTK is so short (especially with headshots) that I don't see how you could tell an aimbot from a skilled/lucky player - I've cleared rooms of 3 with the Orion in a split second and I have old man reflexes.

Plus when the servers are so packed that there could be 50 snipers (just outside of your render distance of course) sitting there waiting for you to poke your head out, it's understandable that one of them will get lucky. I had to leave the Crown last night because it got so bad, could not even come out of cover for a millisecond without full hp + resist shield up.

methane47

I tried the game... sadly it ran like crap even on my i7 3610QM (I was CPU limited 90% of the time) so I wasn't really enjoying it. Maybe if they ever optimize the CPU side a bit better... not getting even 30 stable FPS with that CPU is too much. It's not like it was a huge battle either.

Do you run it off an SSD?

MrBig

Low clocked mobile CPU will be limited like that to some degree; there is a major optimization patch coming some time in January. Did you check to see if you were actually GPU limited by whatever mobile GPU you're running it on ("alt f" ingame will indicate this)

spk

Where can I read about their updates roadmap?

I've asked this a few times, the answer is you can't. Just wait until January for them to share their 6 month outlook and hope you like what you hear.

I definitely disagree with a lot of the glowing opinions about the games playability and depth, at least right now. I'm pretty much in 100% agreement with this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dYq-WdzQoao

These 4 things essentially:
vehicle dominance
questionable game longevity
rewarding numbers above all
world design needs lots of work

Yes, it will be similar to the PS1 system. The closest thing you might be able to compare it to is the Payload gametype in TF2.

Each of these 3 current continents will house a single permanent warpgate for one faction, they will become the home continent for that faction, the rest of the Warpgates will be neutral. Each future continent will be fully neutral. Each of the neutral warpgates will only link to one single other warpgate on another continent. For example The VS warping off Amerish to Searhus, fighting the TR there, taking over and locking the continent, and then warping to Hossin, where the TR falls back to, and then back to Indar, the TR home continent. Along this path the TR can't effectively just warp to another continent to avoid defending like what is happening now.

That sounds cool. I'm interested in seeing how the game would play with more restricted player movement. Right now it seems very easy for entire platoons to pick up and warp to completely different parts of the map.

Is the home planet thing going to happen for sure, or is that speculation?

mr_nothin

Banned
That sounds cool. I'm interested in seeing how the game would play with more restricted player movement. Right now it seems very easy for entire platoons to pick up and warp to completely different parts of the map.

Is the home planet thing going to happen for sure, or is that speculation?

It's going to happen for sure. Actually, it was going to be in right now but they changed their mind at the last minute before release. They're going to wait until they add more continents now.

There is too much warping around going on right now. We can warp all over a continent because of deployed sunderers. Why am I able to spawn on any sunderer placed anywhere on the map?

They've almost completely gotten rid of the traversal gameplay/logistics. Not only that but we can literally just warp back and forth around all 3 continents at will. Then add in hotspots where we can instant action...

and instant spawning on squad leaders and being able to spawn at any base where the squad leader spawned. It really gets on my nerves and I wont start back playing seriously until they restrict player/faction movement and warping.

Liberty4all

Banned

I was pissed yesterday. Enclave rolled over Indar and the other 2 conts didn't have enough Vanu pop for us to go to. Amerish was really sad with 1 percent pop. What we did have on Mattherson was split between NC and TR meaning we got rolled on both fronts.

It's going to happen for sure. Actually, it was going to be in right now but they changed their mind at the last minute before release. They're going to wait until they add more continents now.

There is too much warping around going on right now. We can warp all over a continent because of deployed sunderers. Why am I able to spawn on any sunderer placed anywhere on the map?

They've almost completely gotten rid of the traversal gameplay/logistics. Not only that but we can literally just warp back and forth around all 3 continents at will. Then add in hotspots where we can instant action...

and instant spawning on squad leaders and being able to spawn at any base where the squad leader spawned. It really gets on my nerves and I wont start back playing seriously until they restrict player/faction movement and warping.

I like that I can jump in and find some action. It sucks when you have to spend half your time trying to find your team. If you can't come to grips with the way it is, you probably won't be happy, as I don't think they have any intentions on changing. And I'm glad for it. Id love to hear an alternative to the current system if you can find one that pleases everyone. I just want to get used to the mechanics without the devs trying to please every single gamer. I'd like them to make the game they want and just fix technical issues, not the incessant whining you hear over on the official forums. That place is filled either everyone bitching about how they're class/faction is the weakest and deserve a buff or how they hate Air power. It drives me nuts.

I was pissed yesterday. Enclave rolled over Indar and the other 2 conts didn't have enough Vanu pop for us to go to. Amerish was really sad with 1 percent pop. What we did have on Mattherson was split between NC and TR meaning we got rolled on both fronts.

My main account is NC on Waterson. We have to be the most disorganized faction on any server. The only time we get anything accomplished is late at night when we get a massive pop advantage. I'm getting pretty sick of logging on and seeing TR have 45% of the server pop.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I encountered my first obvious hacker tonight. A TR light assault was picking a group of us off with a sniper rifle even though we were securely enclosed in a building. It became obvious very quickly that they were shooting through walls. I must not have been the only one to report that person because they disappeared within minutes.

Proxy

Man, this game is just pissing me right off with it's chat restrictions. I need to let people know that the Crown needs some defenders but, oh wait, no one is around in the range of my yell and I can't speak to the entire team. Doesn't help that people are oblivious to the fact that we're rapidly losing territory.

Paltros

Man, this game is just pissing me right off with it's chat restrictions. I need to let people know that the Crown needs some defenders but, oh wait, no one is around in the range of my yell and I can't speak to the entire team. Doesn't help that people are oblivious to the fact that we're rapidly losing territory.
There's a cert that let's you issue faction-wide orders (shows up as bright yellow in the chat window), it's in the squad leader section of the cert window but it costs 100 certs.

I like that I can jump in and find some action. It sucks when you have to spend half your time trying to find your team. If you can't come to grips with the way it is, you probably won't be happy, as I don't think they have any intentions on changing. And I'm glad for it. Id love to hear an alternative to the current system if you can find one that pleases everyone.

I think there's still a ton of middle ground between the current system and "spawn at the warp gate and that's it" (to use an extreme example). Maybe increase the instant action cooldown to an hour, or tie the spawn system to resources somehow (say, spawning at warp gate is free, spawn on a squad sunderer/beacon is cheap, instant action drop-in is most expensive... maybe increase the cost with distance as well).

Right now an entire platoon can instant action on a fight (or squad leader) anywhere in the game every 15 minutes. And even when that's on cooldown, you can still hop continents in less than a minute by redeploy at warp gate -> warp to continent. It removes any need to commit to decisions on a strategic level, because you can usually teleport back to a fight when you need to with zero consequences. I think that's why we're seeing some of the weird metagame stuff like a faction taking a continent and immediately bailing out to go cap empty bases somewhere else.

I like the instant action concept, and I think it's good that they have a way for players to log in and quickly be somewhere useful, but I think they could tone it down a lot without impacting those players. Right now the entire strategic layer seems hamstrung by their committal to an easy spawn system.

I think there's still a ton of middle ground between the current system and "spawn at the warp gate and that's it" (to use an extreme example). Maybe increase the instant action cooldown to an hour, or tie the spawn system to resources somehow (say, spawning at warp gate is free, spawn on a squad sunderer/beacon is cheap, instant action drop-in is most expensive... maybe increase the cost with distance as well).

Right now an entire platoon can instant action on a fight (or squad leader) anywhere in the game every 15 minutes. And even when that's on cooldown, you can still hop continents in less than a minute by redeploy at warp gate -> warp to continent. It removes any need to commit to decisions on a strategic level, because you can usually teleport back to a fight when you need to with zero consequences. I think that's why we're seeing some of the weird metagame stuff like a faction taking a continent and immediately bailing out to go cap empty bases somewhere else.

I like the instant action concept, and I think it's good that they have a way for players to log in and quickly be somewhere useful, but I think they could tone it down a lot without impacting those players. Right now the entire strategic layer seems hamstrung by their committal to an easy spawn system.

I stand corrected. I think that is a fantastic idea.

Mupod

I understand that people want the game to be more strategic or whatever but they need to be very careful about this. Changes like that could very easily push the game even further into 'air + tank zerg vs empty base'. At least now if you hold attackers off long enough and get a Sunderer up you're guaranteed to get a steady stream of defenders popping in.

I personally like the game the way it is more or less, although I know it's going to be changing. I just wish people fought on the other continents once in a while, I'm sick of Indar.

If the game turned into something where I had to enslave myself to a big outfit and only do what they want when they wanted I'd just quit. I'm sure some people love that kind of stuff but I'm done with it. Just let me roam around and find a fight I like, I'll work with squads once in a while but if their idea of a good time is 30 tanks + 7 liberators vs two guys trapped in a spawn room then no thanks.

Mupod

Guys I want to get better at this game, I really do. I just have no idea where to begin or what to do :(.

How beginner are we talking here, are you having trouble understanding base objectives and such? What class(es) or vehicles do you find interesting?

My one piece of general advice is to not be a lemming. If you're spawning at a sunderer and dying 10 seconds later with no progress, move somewhere else. Just because everyone else is running up that hill doesn't mean you have to.

I understand that people want the game to be more strategic or whatever but they need to be very careful about this. Changes like that could very easily push the game even further into 'air + tank zerg vs empty base'. At least now if you hold attackers off long enough and get a Sunderer up you're guaranteed to get a steady stream of defenders popping in.

Yeah, that's definitely true. It's hard to predict how changes will impact the metagame, and players can be pretty creative in the ways they respond to major changes.

I don't expect or want them to totally revamp the system overnight, but I'd like to see a few nudges in that direction to see how they play out. Right now the strategic layer just doesn't interest me much because it seems so arbitrary and volatile a lot of the time.

Top Bottom